Chapter 36

Learning to love an Alpha
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 36 - Codependency

“My dad didn’t know that Wonbin was a magical creature, even though they greeted each other multiple times.” Ara is sitting on the couch, knees pulled up to her chest. Kyungsoo is rubbing her shoulder, a frown on his face. “Why did I immediately sense it?”

“Did your father write anything about using the cloak in his journal?” Ara shakes her head at Yunho’s question, and the man smiles slightly. “Then I get it; you’re more powerful than him, that’s why he saved it for you and never used it himself. Only those powerful enough can wear the cape and have it protect them. That explains why you could sense Wonbin's powers, while your father couldn't.”

“But how? The only thing I can do is break stuff, that’s not anywhere near what my father could do,” Ara says, angrily running a hand through her hair. The hoodie and sweatpants she’s wearing become too hot, and she feels like running out of the house and into the cold October air.

“That’s because you just found out about your powers,” Yunho explains, “you’ll be more powerful than him once you start practicing.”

“Unless Wonbin gets to her first,” Suho says, entering the living room with a tray of drinks and some snacks.

Ara and Kai had fallen asleep after she had finished reading the journal last night, and when everyone had woken up today morning, Kai had broken the news to them and the boys immediately set out to take laps around the city and find Wonbin’s location. Suho, Kyungsoo, Yunho and Ara are the only ones who stayed at home, and it has already been more than three hours since the boys left, making them all anxious and nervous.

“We won’t allow that to happen,” Kyungsoo growls, his arm tightening around Ara’s shoulders. Ara feels guilty, burdensome, and she sighs and stands up. Kyungsoo’s arm falls limp to his side and he frowns up at Ara.

“Help me practice.” She looks expectantly at Yunho, and upon seeing the determined look in her eyes, Yunho smiles and nods, standing up. The four of them go out to the backyard, Ara with her father’s spellbook in her hands, Yunho with a small book of his own, and Kyungsoo and Suho stand by the side, eyeing them carefully.

“Each time you have used your powers, you’ve out, right?”

“Except from last time, I managed to stay awake,” Ara says.

“Yeah, but she barely had the energy to talk,” Suho mutters, shaking his head. Yunho nods and hands his book to Kyungsoo before walking a few meters away from them so he’s standing directly in front of Ara with a few feet between them.

“I want you to find a spell and use it to move me.” Ara gapes and blinks.

“What? How am I supposed to do that?” Yunho shrugs.

“You’re the mage here, figure it out.” He’s smirking, and Ara narrows her eyes before opening the spellbook. She flips through the pages, biting her lip in concentration. There are many spells in there, but it takes a while before she finds the one for moving things, and then she nods in determination, closing the book. 

She holds up a hand and points her palm at Yunho, closing her eyes in concentration. Her fingers start tingling, and she feels the familiar pressure in her head, gathering up the magic inside her and sending it to her fingers. But nothing happens.

“It’s not working,” she mutters, frowning, and she tries again, reciting the spell under her breath. Yunho looks like he has seen a ghost, and he clears his throat awkwardly.

“Uh, you know, I might be cocky and all, but please don’t blow me up,” he calls, and Ara mentally rolls her eyes, urging the magic in her to reach him, the pressure in her head building, and then she feels it freeing, a spark shooting out of her fingertips. She gasps when her shoulder starts vibrating with magic, and she turns her head, looking up at Kai.

“Concentrate,” he says, his eyes fixed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter