The First Rule

New Rules
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie has decided that she does regret her decision. She really wonders how she ever thought Jisoo being here with her would be a good idea. It was just weird.

For one, Jennie could barely be around the girl for more than a few seconds due to the uneasy feeling in her stomach she got whenever she was near her. Jisoo wasn't any normal either- she practically walked on egg shells around the other girl. She was even nervous to ask where she would be sleeping during her stay.

Jisoo had come back to her apartment with one suitcase and one pillow. Jennie had furrowed her eyebrows at the one suitcase. Jisoo saw her puzzled expression and smiled awkwardly.

"Don't worry. I've got lots of stuff in here. I'm all set." Jisoo said. Jennie just nodded. She glanced at the pillow next. Jisoo followed her line of sight. "Oh, yeah. I didn't know if I needed to bring my own or..." Jisoo trailed off, glancing back up to Jennie. Jennie had to bit her lip to keep from smiling, nodding again. She hated herself for finding Jisoo's nervousness so cute- she needed to change the subject. Thankfully, Jisoo did.

"So um... Where am I sleeping?" Jisoo asked.

"Oh, right. Um... I guess you can sleep on the couch." Jennie said, pointing to the oh-so famous couch. Jennie thought she saw a flash of disappointment in Jisoo's eyes, but even if she did, it was gone now. Jisoo nodded and walked over to the couch, placing her suitcase next to it and sitting down. She placed her pillow at one end of it. Jennie quickly went to her bedroom, pulling out an extra blanket. She came back to Jisoo, handing her the fluffy blanket.

"Here." Jennie said. Jisoo nodded in thanks and she spread the blanket out on the couch. Silence surrounded them again, the air around them growing awkward. Jennie cleared and started walking away.

"Why are you doing this, Jennie?" Jisoo asked suddenly, making her stop short. She turned to face the older girl.

"I already told you. You deserve better than-"

"I know you said that. But why?" Jisoo said, staring into her eyes. Jennie blinked, staring right back at her. She didn't reply- if she was being honest with herself, even she didn't know fully why. So, she told her that.

"I don't know." Jennie finally said, a slight smile slipping on her lips as she shrugged. Jisoo nodded at the answer, returning the slight smile. Jennie nodded once and started walking to her bedroom. Before she entered, she looked back to where Jisoo was on the couch. She had slipped under the covers and was laying there, staring at the ceiling. Jennie saw the notebook sitting on the table, the thing that started all this. Jennie sighed inaudibly and entered her bedroom, closing the door behind her.

She tried to ignore how cold her bed felt that night.

~~

The next morning was just as awkward. They both sat at the kitchen table, bowls of cereal in front of them both. They sat on opposite ends, not meeting each other's eyes. Jisoo finally broke the silence.

"So, Jennie, did you sleep well?" Jisoo asked, glancing up at her. Jennie didn't return the gaze, her hand freezing and stopping the movement of her spoon. Her heart clenched at the very familiar scene- them eating cereal, Jisoo asking if she slept well, Jennie leaving soon after. Just like a year ago. She blinked and eventually continued to move her spoon, playing with her cereal.

"Yep. Did you?" Jennie finally replied, still not meeting her eyes. She heard Jisoo clear across from her.

"Yep, me too." Jisoo said. Silence filled the apartment yet again, save for sounds of them eating their cereal. A shrill ring made them both jump, both of them glancing to the counter where Jisoo's phone sat. Jisoo stood up and quickly grabbed it, looking at the ID. The look on her face suggested only one person- Jinyoung. She seemed hesitant overall, which was good- at least some progress had been made.

"1. Don't pick up the phone. You know he's only calling because he's drunk and alone." Jennie said, reaching over and hitting decline on the call. Jisoo looked up at her, an unreadable expression on her face. She eventually nodded, setting her phone down and putting it on silent. Jennie smiled at the action, then returned to her cereal, Jisoo doing the same.

They both finished and left their dishes in the sink to be dealt with later.

"Jennie." Jisoo suddenly said, making Jennie look over at her. "Do you have any idea who could've sent that book? Any idea at all?" Jisoo said. She looked hopeful- that Jennie would have all the answers. Jennie hoped her face didn't betray any of the sudden emotions that she felt, having being reminded that she was the one to start this whole thing. She cleared .

"No, I'm sorry. I really don't know. But whoever it was, they clearly cared about you enough to send it." Jennie said, smiling at her. Jisoo smiled back, eyes filled with disappointment at the answer. Jennie wanted to tell her it was her- she was the one to send it. But she couldn't- she didn't want to deal with what could possibly come after that.

"Another

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter