08. Useless trying and an unexpected event

Your colours
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
    CHAPTER VIII

 

A few days later, after thinking for hours and hours, Jongin thought of trying to explain Jennie his point of view regarding her mission. He thought of a softer way, not just saying everything to her and expect her to understand. Maybe she’d get hurt by his words, he didn’t know if she liked Jane’s parents after all. So he prepared another session of buying flowers, since the previous ones withered.

His leg healed, not completely but to the point where he could walk by himself and even drive. Jennie was still worried for him so she helped him walk outside and since she didn’t know how cars worked and because her seat didn’t have any brakes, she thought his didn’t have any brakes either so she just let him drive by himself.

Once arrived at the place Jongin picked, Jennie’s eyes widened and she started jumping around heavily, carefully looking at the flowers. There was a large variety of flower and she was more interested and curious than ever. Jongin followed her with a gentle smile plastered on his lips, stepping closer to her once he made up the questions for her in his head.

 

“So Jennie… did anyone ever try to get rid of you?” he spoke softly, not trying to sound like he was interrogating her

“To get rid of me? No… I don’t think so. I told you people like me and that’s why Jane’s parents don’t like me in her company.”

“Do you think Jane’s parents ever wanted you to disappear from her side?”

“Of course, they always want that. So they’d like me better locked inside my mushroom.” She shook her head, sighing heavily before leaning down to check the scent of a pink flower.

“I meant… like… disappear forever from your world?” he went in too quickly, he knew he went too far so fast, but he couldn't beat around the bush too much

“Oh I… never actually thought of that. Why are you asking that?” she lifted her head and set her gaze on him, a confused look on her face

“Because um… Since you told me your story my mind couldn’t stop working. So I thought… what if Jane’s parents tried to get rid of you so their daughter would get the spotlight?”

“I… No… They wouldn’t! They wouldn’t do that! I-I know that… they wouldn’t want that! Even if I… Even if I am better with people I don’t think they’d want that for me… Especially that that! Jane is prettier and gracious and I don’t think I can ever be better than her! And-and they know I’m ugly so no matter if I’m there or not their daughter could still get the best prince to marry her! T-this is just a mission… and they know I’m a hardworking fairy so they asked me to do it! I’m sure that if there was a better working fairy they’d have chosen her!” she nodded her head as she talked, but slowly tears started running down her cheeks. Despite what she was saying, in her heart and mind a conflict was happening: she thought that maybe he was right, but she tried hard to fight these feelings and not think in that way.

Jennie walked fast to a bush of roses and crouched down, pretending to look at the roses while tears kept coming out of her eyes, though she wasn’t sure why she was crying this hard. Of course, she was missing her friend, but the thought of her parents actually wanting to get rid of her was upsetting her heart. She knew Jongin was wrong, he just didn’t know Jane’s parents, if he met them he’d know they are good people at heart.

Jongin, on the other side, sighed and walked closer to her again, crouching down as well while biting his lower lip- his leg was hurting more than usual, but he tried to endure it. He lifted his hand and started to Jennie’s hair, trying to comfort her as much as he could. “Hey… don’t cry hm? I didn’t want that to happen. I just thought it’d be better if I let you know my point of view as well.” He spoke gently, even if his words weren’t that comforting. "And you know... I believe you are really pretty and you're the one that should get the best prince. but even if you are so pretty, crying doesn't suit you at all." She smiled sadly to him and shook her head, her cheeks flushing lightly. “I am fine, I am fine, just… some dust got into my eyes. Don’t worry, I understand what you were trying to say! And I... thank you... I never though I was pretty enough for a prince.” she nodded her head and wiped her tears as he said she's ugly while crying, then got up, offering him her hand so he could stand up as well.

Taking her hand and standing up with difficulty, Jongin could notice the velvety feeling of her skin. He realised he never actually held her hand or touched her skin directly, so this new feeling amazed him to the point where he kept holding her hand on their way to the cashier. While Jennie was not paying attention, Jongin motioned the cashier to pack pink, white and red roses into a big bouquet. Trying to take out his wallet, Jongin realised he was still holding Jennie’s hand so he let go of it gently, but hardly, and paid for the flowers.

“We put in a few more roses, for your girlfriend to cheer up more! Don’t make this pretty girl cry, young man, she is beautiful while smiling!” an old lady came next to the cashier, taking out a business card and handing it to Jongin.

Picking the card up, he thanked the lady and stepped outside the shop while Jennie was admiring the bouquet. Jongin was speechless, he couldn’t say anyt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter