Weird Dreams

Royal Traditions, Skirts, and Unknown Love

Minsuk smiled as Saengho fed him a piece of a tangerine from the tree above them. He gently held his lover's hand and intertwined their fingers. "I'm worried, Saengho ah.. What if they-." But he soon shut up once Saengho calmly adjusted the red ribbon in the boy's dark brown hair and kissed the ribbon.

"Don't worry. Don't let them get to you, yeobo." He kissed his lover's forehead. "Once you are rid of this tradition, we'll be able to marry and run away from all these pressures..." He placed his lips on his as the latter returned the sweet favor.

They stood up and walked down the breezy green hill, with intertwined hands. Minsuk laid his head on Saengho's shoulder, wishing for a peaceful future.

But all of those wishes were broken all in one night, as screams were heard and the sound of metal deafened the houses. A thump was heard as a bloodied severed body dropped to the ground. His eyes widened, tears forcefully dripping down.

"Doryeon-nim..." were his last words.

As soon as his lover heard the news, he cried all his might for the person he loved and constantly thought it was his fault for leaving their love out in the open. He couldn't bear living. He grabbed one of the sleeping soidiers' long thin swords and stabbed himself mercifully that night, unable to feel pain. He died with a smile on his face. As the young female servant screamed once she saw the young master's bloody body limp to the ground the next morning, the two families were angered.

Blood was everywhere.

On the fields, and the villages.

But the most memorable was the blood splattered around both the young masters' bedrooms.


I gasped as I jerked up in my bed. I grabbed onto where my heart and breathed in relief. I had been having these dreams ever since I saw that unconscious girl. What was her name again? Oh, that's right Key told him before school ended. It was... Lee Taeyeon? What a common name for a commoner. Wait, didn't Key say she was from a royal family? Oh well. She seems pretty weak to do anything.

I sighed, wondering why I've been getting these dreams. That boy who was feeding the 'girl' (Well, at least I thought it was a girl.) looked just like me. I never was interested in my family's history nor their quarrels with others. Maybe I should question one of my grandparents. Grandmother might know. She used to like telling me stories like this.

But first, I needed to get to school.

---

I gulped as I saw Minho headed his way. With a bottle of banana milk in one hand, I held my books tightly and started to walk away. But unluckily, one of the cheerleaders tripped me and I fell, dropping my books. I sighed in relief that the contents of the milk didn't spill. Because... well, I wanted to drink it. The bystanders sniggered until a certain person coldly glared at them. I stared at him questioningly, when I should've avoided looking at him. I immediately recognized those eyes. This was Minho. As the taller looked up at me, I turned away and took my books.

"Thanks..." I said before bowing and walked off. I should at least be polite once to the guy.

"Wait." That deep baritone voice of his called out. I stopped in my tracks, annoyed at his stubborn-ness. Minho walked up to me. "I was wondering..."

Quick, Taemin, think! Say something to chase him away! "If a normal girl like me can get out of the way of a popular jock meathead like you? Gladly." A chotle of 'OOOOOOOH!'s echoed the hall. I smirked at the slightly annoyed look on Minho's face and turned around. But the other quickly grabbed onto my wrist. Gah, something else Taemin...

"N-No, it's not that... I was wondering if I could get to know you... then we'd be more-"

"Than friends? Okay then. I refuse." I was taken aback at Minho grabbing onto my shirt collar and pulling me forward, our faces centimeters away from each other.

"Listen. Stop being so rude to me if you know what's good for you."

"If I know what's good for me? Okay then." I dumped the banana milk onto Minho's head. Sure, I wanted to drink it but this was much sweeter. Much much sweeter. I giggled at his misfortune. Despite the different popularity between the two of us, the bystanders laughed at Minho's unfortunate event. I turned around and wiggled my hips around in a snooty way. "I'm not an easy girl." I walked away.

Just a few minutes later, I was faced by Kibum, who scolded his baby for doing such a horrendous thing.

---

I stepped around back and forth in front of Taeyeon's house. Stupid girl. How dare she stain my uniform with that disgusting banana milk. ... How can she constantly drink those? I took in a deep breath and pressed the doorbell in front of the gate. I waited for a few minutes then became impatient. The stupid girl must be a coward too. An elderly woman quickly popped out the gate.

"Doryeon-nim?!"

I blinked at her. Doryeon-nim? "Um, is Lee Taeyeon home?"

"O-Oh!" She put a hand over . "You must be one of the young mas-mistress's friends! That's the problem sadly. She impolitely escaped recital practice and we couldn't find he-"

"Sheesh, Jiyeon sshi. You and the others are bad at hide-and-seek. I'm right here~" Wait. That voice seemed a bit familiar.

I looked up, only to see someone calmly sitting on top of the fence. Was it Taeyeon? No, it was a guy. But, he looks so much like her. He had slightly long dark brown hair about Taeyeon's length tucked into a black beanie and only wore a black and light blue striped cardigan, a black wifebeater, and bright blue skinny jeans. He kicked his legs around then jumped off the fence, landing right in front of me. He was pretty cute. He looked up at me and smiled the most adorable smile I've ever seen.

"U-Um... where's Taeyeon sshi?" I asked as I saw his smile fade. I looked at him confused.

"She ran away somewhere else. She said something about running away from your flaming charisma. She's been talking a lot about you, Minho sshi."

Tch. Coward.

"Hyung. Just call me Minho hyung."

"Oh, okay. By the way, I- Whoa." He glanced at the mob of women running towards him.

"Get the young master!!"

"Oh no~ Let's go, Minho hyung!" He grabbed onto my hand and ran off with me. His hand felt warm. I glanced at his expression. He looked like he was having the time of his life. I couldn't help but smile at it. Hate to admit, but it looks cute. I wonder why she's been hanging out with Kibum hyung often. Hnnnng-

"Minho hyung? Are you in this world?" The boy constantly waved his hand in front of my face. He smiled once I paid attention to him. God, why was his smiles ridiculously cute.

"Um, you never told me who you are."

"Oh!" The boy smacked his forehead, finally realizing it. "I'm Lee Taemin. Taeyeon's twin brother. Taeyeon doesn't like talking about me but, no worries! I hate talking about her too!" He grinned. I finally noticed the faint black eye he donned. He caught me staring and took a step back. "What is it?" 

"That black eye... How did you get it?"

"Black eye...?" Taemin lifted his hand up to tocuh it. "Oh! U-Uh.... Taeyeon came home with a black eye. So I quickly stomped over to the guys who punched her and well, t-they punched me back."

"But why is it at the same place as Tae-" 

"Let's change the subject please!"

But before I could open my mouth, Jonghyun, Kibum, and Jinki were headed our way. Jonghyun waved at Taemin and grinned. "Hey Taemin sshi! How pretending to be a girl working out for you?" Finally noticing I was at Taemin's side, he covered his mouth. Kibum was ready to strangle the idiot of a boyfriend, regretting that he told him, he has while Jinki was in a daze. I widened my eyes and looked at Taemin. He hid his face in his hands embarrassedly.

"Wha... Wait... You... What?!" 

---

I tried looking away from Minho awkwardly as I tried to find the words to say. I constantly cursed at Jonghyun mentally for telling. Does he even know about our families' rivalry? For a second I forgot about it, when I accidentally glanced at Minho. I let out a small squeak once I noticed his face was too close to mine. He glared down at me. I felt my heart thump more than usual and my breath hitched. It disappeared once Minho leaned back and for some odd reason, I wanted that feeling to linger more. He chuckled, murmuring about something around "it's fun teasing you". My face flushed pink as I smacked his arm. He flinched, of course.

"Ow! Why did you do that?"

"Because you're an idiot."

"Why did you lie to me?"

"Because you're an idiot."

Minho smacked me back and I puffed my cheeks in response. "We're not supposed to be interacting with each other, Minho hyung. Don't you know that our families have had a long period of rivalry?" I reminded him. I tried to get up to leave but he grabbed my wrist and pulled me back down onto the bench. Sigh. Has he ever researched anything about his family? I unconsciously engulfed the warmth he radiated as we uncomfortably sat next to each other. "I have to lie like this. My family has had this tradition for generations. It's to improve our level of dancing. If our classmates know about this... they'll bully me even more."

Minho simply rested his hands behind his back. "Then I'll give you a compromise." He faced me as I listened seriously. "Be my 'girlfriend' for the next few months and I won't tell the student body."

I looked at him questioningly. My face showed an expression of shock and embarressment. "What?! You're using this for blackmail?! This won't work! Your parents will be furious and would do anything to separate us. It's a matter of life and death, Minho sshi."

"Well, my parents are trying so hard to arrange a marriage with me and Kwon Yuri which I never wanted to be in. If I got a girlfriend and prove to them she's a better girl than her, then they'll give up. If I got a 'girl' of the Lees, hence you, we could keep the secret of you being part of that family. Once they think you're much better than Yuri, then we could reveal you're a Lee and this stupid rivalry will end once and for all. Yes, I think this rivalry is stupid. How did it even start anyway?" Minho thouroughly explained. I sighed, shaking his head. I ignored the question he asked. So he had thought of this.

"Fine, I'll do it. I see no point in pretending to be a girl if I can't do something interesting with it." I closed my eyes in deep thought. Thoughts flooded my mind. I might as well do it. If I don't, my reputation will sink a new low. I lost my train of thought once Minho shook me lightly.

"Unless you're in love with me and don't want to admit it." He smirked.

I glared at him and smacked him again. "You idiot! Of course I don't! I already hated you ever since we locked eyes."

He fake-scoffed as he pretended to feel hurt. "How could you say that to the person that saved you?"

"You weren't the only one. There was Jonghyun hyung, Kibum hyung, and Jinki hyung too."

"So you call them hyung but not me?"

"Why do I have to?"

Minho sighed and looked down at me. He flicked my forehead. "Remember you owe me the payment for the dry cleaners bill. The milk stain you poured on my uniform was hard to get out. ... You're the most frustrating guy I ever met."

I rubbed my forehead but slightly smirked. "I know. ... And I get that a lot."

But the smirk soon disappeared once my umma called. I hesitated flipping open my phone as I answered. "U-Umma?"

"1,000,000 WON FROM THE DRY CLEANERS?! WHAT DID YOU DO LEE TAEMIN?! THAT'S IT! ONE WEEK OF NONSTOP RECITAL REHEARSAL!" She yelled in my ear. I groaned and glared at Minho. She can be a fierce umma, I can tell you that. He smirked back at me. That concieving little- I tried to calm umma down. We had the money anyway, considering we were one of the wealthiest families in Korea. After a few minutes of lectures, I hung up. I got up, glaring at Minho again.

"I have to go to rehearsal now. Thanks to you."

"Our uniforms are expensive, you know."

"Whatever." I turned back at him. "If I die from rehearsal, I'll so haunt you in the afterlife."

---

I quickly walked to school, wondering where Taemin took his route. I haven't seen him since we made that deal two days ago. I walked down the familiar sidewalk and stopped. I spotted the same guys who had hurt Taemin trying to follow a certain path. I took another route on the other side that would have the same view. I followed where the gang was going. Then I finally spotted him. Taemin, back in his girl side, was wiping the sweat off his forehead. He walked to school alone. His skirt swished back and forth with the same rhythm as his ponytail.

He clenched the backpack straps as soon as he spotted the gang. He tried keeping up his pace as I quickly approached him. I quickly wrapped my arm around his shoulder as I looked back at the guys. They looked intimidated... and shocked. I smirked and glared at them. They just stood there. Taemin was taken aback at this, since he nearly fell backwards. He hit me in the arm.

"Yah... Minho oppa, what are you doing?" He said in his high-pitched girl voice. Wow. It was really believable. I would've forgot he was really a boy right there and then.

"Accompanying you on your walk, yeobo," I slightly struggled to say the last word. How embarrassing. "I didn't want you to deal with... unfavorable conditions." I looked back at the gang. They took a step back and walked off.

Taemin looked back and sighed. He shrugged my arm off his shoulders. "You should really warn me before about stuff like this. You caught me offguard." I rolled my eyes and continued walking with him.

"I haven't told my parents about our 'relationship' yet." I used air quotes. Taemin raised an eyebrow at me. "It'd be weird to say after I found out... 'Umma! Appa! I found a girl that'd be much better than Yuri.' I'll tell them after a few days."

"I see. Well, I hope this'll get done much faster than I expect. I'm turning eighteen in less than a year, and I want to become a guy full-time again." He took out a bottle of banana milk from his backpack. Gosh, how many does he pack in there?! He stabbed a straw through the top and in the sweet liquid.

"You don't like being a girl?" I asked curiously.

"Actually, you get used to it after a few times. It's kinda fun seeing the boys drool over you. Plus, skirts are really comfy." He adjusted his own while drinking up the milk.

"You sound like a ert."

"Shut up."