Stupid Traditions

Royal Traditions, Skirts, and Unknown Love

Once upon a time, there was the prestigous Lee family with rich descent. They were skilled in elegant dancing as their bodies were easily moved like they were as light as a feather. The young men born into that family overshadows even the most lovely women's beauty. They were not religious nor judgemental against uality and other topics. They believed in their own beliefs and looked carefully after their wealthiness.

But their most oddest yet oldest tradition they have is: Once a young boy of Lee blood is raised up to five years old, he must imitate as a girl to perfectly learn how they can become as elegant as a girl dances. He must continue this until he is of eighteen years to become a man. No boy in the family ever escapes this tradition.

Once the newest addition to the Lees came, it was decided immediately that he must follow the tradition the minute he was born. The time Lee Taemin became five of Korean years, his hair was grown out already and he was sent to school enrolled as a girl.

At the age of seven, young Taemin kicked his legs while sitting during PE after playing some games with the rest of the girls. Playing with his ponytail, he watched the other boys kick the soccer ball around and screaming rambunctiously, feeling envious. I wish I could play with them. But... I'd have to play like a girl. So I can't move as fast as I want to. I'll get made fun of. He thought, a slight frown pulling at his lips.

A while after school ended, Taemin returned to the field with a soccer ball under his arm and a music player in his pocket. He wore a bright blue hoodie and shorts. He lifted the hood over his head while smiling. Putting the buds in his ears, he nodded his head to the beat of the music. He quickly kicked the soccer ball around and moved swiftly as if he was dancing. He quickly turned around but got flicked in the forehead by another boy, who had a smug look on his face.

"Yah. I was gonna play on this field." He remarked.

Taemin cleared his voice. "Oh, I'm sorry." He spoke in his normal voice, but was still naturally a bit high-pitched.

"Keke, it's okay. Can I play with you?"

He got to know that that day was the happiest in his life. He made a new friend as they played for a few weeks, until he got into a car accident on his way home, hardly living and leaving most of his memories behind all that blood. He never saw the boy again. He never remembered the few weeks he spent with the boy, and moved to Europe with his family and workers.

Nine years later, Taemin's family moved back to Seoul.

And we leave off on Taemin, walking around in small circles. Donning the private school's uniform, white with the school's designs and a black pleated skirt, he played with his fingers nervously. Oh God. Oh God. One more year and I can finally become a guy again. Did the stylists cut my hair too short? He pinned the fringe to the side, and his ponytail. Aish, did I mess up my makeup? ... Taemin, that was the stupidest thing you ever thought.

Taking in a deep breath, he stepped into the school's doors. As he started to walk to the office, many stared at him. He slugged his messenger bag over his shoulders and let out a stifled giggle. He noticed many boys stared at him and some fell, struggling to see the girl they thought they saw. Lee Taeyeon, isn't it great to be a girl? He smiled brightly to himself, strutting down the hall proudly. He might miss this.

"Annyounghaseyo. Lee Taeyeon imnida." Taemin bowed respectively to his new classmates and took an empty seat. He hid a smirk. His girl voice had improved tremendously and was very believable. His smile faded once he heard the students already talking about him. 'She's much prettier than some of the cheerleaders. They won't like that.' 'Ugh. She's totally just trying to be a good girl.' 'How unpleasant.' He sunk into his seat. Five minutes into the class, and he was already hated.

Taemin's first day wasn't as great as expected. He had books pushed off his hands, his locker Super Glued, and was tripped three times. He realized this was the cheerleaders' doing. Probably because their boyfriends or crushes glanced at him. 'FML.' he thought. 'Just one more year, Taemin.' He kicked his locker forcefully which finally opened. After a few seconds, the crossdresser wanted to scream at the ceiling.

At PE, his gym uniform was stolen and stuffed down the toilet. Taemin cursed to himself as he sat on the bleachers. He watched his classmates play soccer until a few boys walked up to him. He looked surprised at them until one of them pushed him off the bleachers. He looked down at his bleeding knee and just sat there on the grass, helpless.

"Taeyeon sshi, isn't it?" One of the boys crouched down and Taemin's cheek with his index finger. The latter flinched and tried to move back. "Tch. You're so pretty yet you have such a flat chest." Another burly boy unexpectedly punched Taemin across the face hard, making the other fall to the ground. Do the boys here really treat girls this way? Taemin felt his nose bleed and the slapped cheek throb, being on the verge of tears.

"YAH! YOU PUNKS! What the hell do you think you're doing?!"

Taemin jumped at the sight of a soccer ball forcefully thrown at the boy's face. Four handsome-looking boys approached them. His vision turned hazy and he felt one of the boys pick him up in his arms and whisper soothing words to him.

"Sheesh. Those idiotic cheerleader-slaves. The only thing good about them is... wait, nothing. Nothing but a bunch of massive maniacs only out for bigger busts. Tch. They should've known what we'd do to them if they ever harmed a girl. ... Ouch. She looks like she's passing out."

"We already know, Jonghyun hyung. Kibum hyung, take her to the infirmary. The blood is staining her uniform. Get her a new one. Jinki hyung... stop eating your chicken."

"What? Why? We skipped lunch!"

"Gotcha, Minho ah. Omo, she's so adorable though! That's it. She's officially my daughter."

"Oh, Key..."

Everything went black for Taemin once flaming dark eyes bore into his.

---

Taemin woke up in the infirmary only to be greeted by one of the boys that saved him. He blinked at him as the boy waved gleefully. "Annyounghaseyo. You're Lee Taeyeon... ne? I'm Kim Kibum. But people usually call me Key." He smiled and reached for something in his bag. He took out a lunch jar and handed it to Taemin. "You're hungry, right? I saw some girls purposely spill your food during lunchtime. Girls can be so mean." He scoffed.

Taemin stammered before taking the food. "K-Kamsahamnida." He did a slight bow while sitting before politely eating the delicious lunch. "But you really didn't have to-"

"I insist... Taeminnie." Taemin nearly choked on his dokkbokki. Key giggled. "Oh, you're wondering how I knew? I could tell when I looked at you and I looked through your student file. And it's a relief since I had to change you into a new uniform. I talked to the secretary and nurse, and both said it's okay for you to go home early."

He wiped a litle stain on the corner of the other boy's lips. "Not to mention, your family's story always interested me. I hope you joined the dance team, Taeminnie~ I'd love to see you dance. I'm here for you if you need a friend and an umma. It'll be a secret between you and me."

Taemin sighed. "Thank you, hyung. I'm always getting sick of having to do my girl voice." He said in his normal voice, smiling.

They laughed together.

"You know, my friend Choi Minho has been worked up lately ever since he saw you. Said something about remembering a memory." Key put his finger on his lips. "Have you ever met him, Taeminnie baby?"

Taemin shook his head. "To be honest, I don't remember anything of when I was under 8 years old." Then it struck him. "Wait, Choi Minho?"

"Yes, why?"

Taemin's eyes trembled. One of THE Chois had helped him? "I-I have to go. Thank you for everything, Key hyung." He grabbed his things and left the small room.

Jonghyun popped his head into the room and glanced at Kibum, who stared at the door blankly. "Yeobo, is she okay?"

Key looked at his boyfriend and smiled solemnly. He stood up and took Jonghyun's hand in his. "Yeah, she is. Let's get back to class."

Jonghyun, having no clue, just stupidly grinned at him and walked with him down the halls. "I recommend not talking to Jinki hyung. He's been high on chicken and nobody could stop him."

Key chuckled. "That idiot. I'll see him to that."

It had only been known between the two families, but the prestigious Chois and the elegant Lees have been enemies ever since a long-ago story between two star-driven lovers. When the two locked eyes and fell in love, the two families feuded over class and wealth. Once one of the two families killed their beloved descendant's lover and had driven the kind and sensitive boy to kill himself, the two families immediately broke all contact between each other.

Lee Minsuk and Choi Saengho. Two puzzle pieces that could be able to fit together after generations.