Ancient Story

Royal Traditions, Skirts, and Unknown Love

{Minho's POV}

Taemin ate his rice, picking up a piece of kimchi along with it. He watched as Jinki was crouched over while facing the corner. Jonghyun must've fainted. Kibum put his hands to his head, groaning in frustration. Taemin glanced at me oddly. I blushed and looked away. I can't believe this is happening to me. This must be the worst day ever. I nearly slept with Taemin and the three idiot hyungs had a last night. It wasn't much of a shocker though. I knew it was going to happen anyway. But I didn't know Jinki hyung went both ways. I never even noticed him showing any infatuation towards anyone. Well, besides chicken. 

Taemin nearly choked on his rice and set down his chopsticks. "Oh, crap! I forgot I had an early recital practice today!" He flipped open his phone. He sighed at the amount of missed calls and messages. He faced me. "Hyung, I know it's weird to ask but do you have any girl clothing?" 

"Um... my younger sister left some of her clothing here when she visited a few months ago. They might fit you..." 

"Thanks Minho hyung!" Taemin quickly ate his food, ignoring Kibum's statement that he'll get fat, and rushed upstairs. 

"Minho ah, you should accompany him," Kibum suggested, soothing Jonghyun by tracing circles on his stomach.

"Why does it always have to be me? Aish," I hissed. It's still going to be awkward for me. But Kibum seems to not understand my situation for once. 

"You're the one pretending to be his-her boyfriend. I'll deal with these two." 

"But... fine," I stood up and went upstairs. I nearly bumped into Taemin, who wore a long airy light blue shirt that went down to half of his knees, black leggings, a half-cut white jacket, and black boots. Hopefully Minhi doesn't mind. His hair was quickly done into two loose pigtails, which made me chuckle at how cute it looked. He kicked me but I quickly dodged. I chuckled again, "I still can't believe you're still the same person." 

"Yah. Shut up. I'm going," He was about to go down the stairs but I grabbed his wrist. He turned around, "What?" 

"Don't think you're going to escape by yourself. I'm going with you. Unless you want some ert going after you."

"They won't." 

"I'm pretty sure they would chase after a cute innocent girl walking alone." 

Taemin blushed. Hah. I got him. He blurted, "Well, you're still not going with me!" 

"Fine. I guess I'll just tell the whole school that you're a crossdressing guy." 

"Stupid Keroro." 

"I love you too." 

"You're frustrating!" 

"You too, Taeyeon." 

"Fine, you can go with me, op-pa." 

"Okay, wait for me while I change." 

Taemin growled as I tugged at one of his pigtails playfully. It was so much fun to . It made it more less awkward for me to talk to him now. I walked into my room, leaving him to scream his frustration out. I heard Kibum rushing up the stairs to check if Taemin was okay. I laughed to myself. Finally everything went back to normal. I smiled. 

Until I felt a magazine thrown at the back of my head. Where does Kibum get all of these? 

I decided to change into a sleeveless white top, a tan jacket, and black jeans. It seems pretty cold, in the early yet chilly November day. Winter was creeping up soon. I went outside only to look down on Taemin impatiently tapped his foot at me. I tugged at his pigtails. The sudden need to was manifested from my wide grin. 

"Sometimes I think you're worse than some of the cheerleaders," I exclaimed. Taemin seemed to notice his sudden behavior and pouted. 

"Well, sorry. I'm usually like this if I'm ever late to practice. You'd act like this too if you had to act as a girl for 18 years," Taemin retorted.

"I see. You're still such a chick though." 

" you." 

"Let's do it."

"Never. Let's get going. Now." 

"Owh. Pushy, much." 

"Why are you so-" 

"Now, now. Come on," I reached out for his hand and laced it with mine, "We're not going to get anywhere if we continue arguing. Let's go," I smiled at him. His expression seemed to have softened and he nodded in understanding. We walked back downstairs, said our goodbyes to our hyungs (hopefully they won't burn my home down), and went out the door. Taemin gave my hand a slight nervous squeeze. I looked at him as he kept his head facing the sidewalk. I sighed solemnly. We continued our walk in silence until he murmured something about his father getting angry. 

"What about your mother?" 

Taemin jerked his head up and faced me with a sad look in his eyes, "What?" 

"Does your mother get angry at you if you're ever late?" 

"..." He looked down and said in a soft whisper that probably only both of us could hear, "My mother died years ago." 

I was startled at the tears forming at the corner of his eyes. I wiped them away for him and whispered back, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to remind you." 

"It's alright. I'm always reminded about my mother by my father. He always said how I'd disappoint her if I ever failed my whole family. That's why I always try my best to get myself a scholarship to a good performing arts school," Taemin explained in a soft voice. 

I kept silent. This seemed to upset him. 

"She was very beautiful from what I remember. She was one of the people born with the purest Lee blood. She never understood the rivalry between our two families and thought it should be over after all these generations. That way, the heads of the family always wondered if they should have her as potential due to her pure blood or turn from her because of her protest against the rivalry."

"Guess you take after her looks...," I murmured in a low voice. Taemin laughed a bit. 

"She was healthy and happy as far as I had known even though I was only six. But things happened, then my mother's heart got weak of grief and sorrow. I recalled sneaking in at night only to hear my mom pleading to herself to die. To escape the suffering she's going through. She soon got ill. Two years afterwards, she passed away while we were living in Europe. It was just me and my father. He constantly pushes me to work hard so my mother can be happy," 

I simply squeezed his hand more as a sign of sympathy. I sat ourselves down on a bench and wiped away the tears that trailed down his petite face. Thank God he wasn't wearing makeup. I made a mental note to myself to never mention his mother to him. The pain in his face was too much for me to bear. We sat there as he cried into my shoulder. I shyly rubbed his back to comfort him. Joggers ran by and glanced at us. An elderly couple walked by and looked at us, then walked off. But I didn't care. I continued to rub Taemin's back and wrap my arms around his fragile body, questioning my feelings for the younger boy. 

--- 

{Onew's POV}

I sighed. I'm so stupid. I knew Kibum had a boyfriend but he decided to get drunk and have a with the two of them. Stupid, stupid, stupid. My stomach grumbled. Hmm. That kimchi stew didn't seem to fill me enough. Maybe I should go out to get some chicken. My mouth drooled at the thought. But suddenly, a hand waved over my face to snap me out of it. 

"Huh?" I looked down only to see a girl waving at me to get my attention. She looked familiar. 

"Gosh, Lee Jinki oppa. You really need to pay attention instead of thinking about chicken," The girl pouted. 

"How..." 

"Remember me? We're in business class together. We usually get partnered up to do classwork and such," She smiled. "Oh... yeah. You're Park Sunjung." 

"You do remember! Oh, and here," Sunjung reached into her bag and took out a cute-looking envelope. She handed it to him. 

"What is this?"

"Well, I really like you, Lee Jinki oppa! When I saw you at first sight, I just knew I'd like you. You'd be excellent if you ever take in business. You're really cute yet cool at the same time!" She exclaimed. 

I blinked. This was so sudden. I handed the envelope back to her, "I'm sorry. But I don't really need a girlfriend right now," Yes you do, pabo chicken maniac! screamed my inner voice. 

"Oh. Okay then..." I walked away from her. 

But she cupped her hands around and shouted, "I won't give up though! I like you a lot, Lee Jinki oppa! Just wait!" She grinned. I turned back and smiled. 

"Then let's just have lunch together. Chicken?" 

Sunjung smiled and ran towards me. Maybe I might give her a chance someday, if she learns to deal with who I am. For now, I should deal with my situation with me and Taemin. Figure out how to tell him the truth. Sunjung grabbed my wrist and ran ahead of me. I smiled. Maybe she'll help me get it out of my mind. 

--- 

{Taemin's POV}

I panted and tried to keep my breathing. I had been dancing non-stop for a whole hour and a half in the main house. I sat down on the wooden bench, grabbing a water bottle one of the servants handed me. I kept careful of my clothing since it was a dress rehearsal. I pulled up the yellow and red piece of clothing since it was falling down. I drank the water. Of course, Choi Minho decided to stay and watch me. He sat next to me. Some members of the family who often practiced with me looked at Minho in disgust. Did they know he was a Choi? 

"Yah. Why is he here? Is he your boyfriend?" One of my cousins, Heechul, asked rudely. 

"N-No! He's just a friend!" I tried to say. Minho looked fake-hurt then whispered something about revealing my secret into my ear. "... He's my boyfriend." 

Heechul laughed and ruffled my hair. He whispered into my ear, "You too? You and I have equal taste. I'm after his cousin, Choi Siwon." 

Before I could explain this whole thing was just because Minho'll use my secret as blackmail, Heechul pranced away. Minho finally snickered and started to laugh. He covered his mouth with the back of his hand. "Haha, it's fun doing this to you."

"Whatever," I chugged down the rest of my water. "We're having a little problem in our recital next month."

"Why? What's wrong?" 

"Well, as our recital, we're acting out the story of Chunhyang. I'm Chunhyang, obviously. Since I'm one of the best performers in my family. Many of our audiences demand for me as the lead," I explained, nodding to myself, "But we can't find anyone who would act as the role for Mongryong. We can't have anyone from our family since that would be considered . Nobody else wants to do it." 

"I'll be Mongryong." 

"What?! No way! You're not even experienced!" 

"Kibum hyung's family performs musicals and recitals as well. I've had a few roles before." 

"B-But... Chunhyang and Mongryong have a few kissing scenes... And they're genuine because we don't like it if the audience think we're fakes." 

"Oh. So you kissed a few before." 

"Yeah." 

"So it's no problem. We're both guys so it doesn't matter." 

"But-" 

"Perfect! You're perfect for the role!" My grandmother suddenly announced as she approached us. The other members of the family greeted her formally. I was surprised. 

"G-Grandmother! You should be in bed." 

"Hush, Taemin. I'm not that ill anymore," My grandmother scolded me then smiled genuinely at Minho. "What is your name, young man?" 

"Minho," He stated. 

"Minho... Taemin..." My grandmother smiled brighter at both of us. "Go get changed into the Mongryong outfit for the rehearsal. Then get started." 

Fifteen minutes later, Minho came back dressed in the proper blue and white attire. His long brown locks fitted the proper attire just like my chestnut hair fitted mine. My grandmother suddenly pulled both of together. My shoulders went stiff. I swear, she nearly squealed in glee. My mother must be embarrassed by her. 

"Beautiful couple." Her face softened. "You two remind me of Seungho and Minsuk. These were nearly the exact clothing they wore. I'll be right back." She left the practice room then came back with a red ribbon. She pinned it into my hair and sighed solemnly. "Almost exactly like them. If only your hair was a bit shorter, Taemin ah..." 

"Wait, Seungho? Minsuk? Who are they?" 

"Oh, Taemin ah... You didn't tell your friend about them? You really need to learn to share your family knowledge, considering you were taught much about the families' rivalry by me." My grandmother grabbed the fan I was holding and hit my arm with it. Minho felt like he was about to burst out laughing. I glared at him. My grandmother shook her head at me. "Remember to teach your friend about the story later. Maybe after rehearsal." 

"But, grandmother-" 

"I'm still one of the heads of the family, Taemin. So is your grandfather, God bless his soul and your mother's. He'd appreciate it if you tell Minho about this. The main head wouldn't like it but he wouldn't mind if I bent a few rules," My grandmother handed my fan back and smiled at Minho. "Minho ah... keep hush about your family name alright?" She walked out of the practice room. 

"How did she know-" 

"My grandmother knows many things just by looking at them. She's an excellent woman if you ever want to know about both our families' most secretive historical events. Come on. Heechul's complaining about his hair. Then we need to get going," I pulled at Minho's wrist and led him into the commotion. 

A few hours later, I laid on my bed, changed into some grey sweats and a V-neck white shirt. Minho was changed back to his regular clothes. We silently stayed in our positions in my room. I sighed out, "You wanted to know about Seungho and Minsuk right?" 

"Yeah. I've heard their names before but I was always curious." 

"It's been a true legend between the Lees and Chois..." 

--- 

A boy of sixteen years stepped outside the main house. Servants bowed to him in respect. "Good morning, doryeon-nim~" They greeted. The boy bowed back in return. He had a stunning appearance, despite being dressed in traditional girl's clothing. A red ribbon complimented his chestnut hair. He looked so beautiful that many would believe the sun made him shine brighter. He was the poster of a perfect young Korean man. He never rebelled, was tutored well, behaved politely, and played lightly. 

"Did eummoni say it was okay to play in the swings?" He asked in a soft feminine voice. 

"Yes, doryeon-nim Minsuk. Your mother and father said it would be fine. They're preparing for the New Year's feast with many of the other families. So they'd like it if you just played quietly," One of the female servants answered. 

"Kamsahamnida~" Minsuk took careful steps into the courtyard where a few female servants and some males followed him. He was the potential young heir to being the main head of the family. The whole family wanted nothing but a kind person who would make careful decisions. 

Little did Minsuk know as he swung high into the sky, another boy who was two years ahead of him watched him from his room window. 

"I'm Choi Seungho," his deep baritone voice told Minsuk as he offered a hand. "Why don't you tell me your name?" 

Minsuk turned away. "Shiro," He answered then turned his head towards Seungho. "Merong." He flicked out his tongue. 

"Please? Be polite. I'm not a mean boy, you know. I don't chase after a lot of pretty girls unlike the others," Seungho lifted Minsuk's lowered head up. 

"... I'm Lee Minsuk." 

"Minsuk... such a beautiful name for a girl like you," Seungho turned around, his head only facing Minsuk. "I'll see you at the New Year's feast. I hope it'll be lovely seeing you." 

They met together a few times in the Lees' main courtyard. They played together as their relationship started to bloom. They got to know each other, considering they were both heirs to their main family head's position. Their hearts were telling them they were perfect to fit with each other. But they wouldn't listen. Until the feast came along with many stars spread out on the nightly sky. 

Seungho had Minsuk trapped within his arms blocking both sides on Minsuk. The younger felt flustered by the young master's action.

"I love you. As much as the stars can go," Seungho proclaimed. His face went closer to Minsuk's until their lips were softly pressed together. The younger master pulled away a little while after. 

"But... I'm truly a young man... doryeon-nim..." Minsuk stammered. "Don't you want a much lovelier woman to be your lover?" just stood in his position. 

"Then that just makes me want to love you more," Seungho stated, pressing their lips together again before pulling away a bit. "And no woman is as beautiful as you." He kissed him again. Minsuk later obliged to press against his in return. They spent their first night of the new year, sharing sweet gentle kisses that they soon got familiar to. An envious second heir looked at the couple then ran off to tell the families the sudden news. 

"It's obvious our wealth would support the two once they bear a child." 

"It's our elegance that would make their family more charming!" 

Minsuk and Seungho entwined their hands as they watched their families argue over whose trait overpowers who. Minsuk, frightened, gave the other's hand a tight squeeze as the older tried to soothe him with sweet words of nothing. Both knew something drastic was going to happen. They both entered their own world as the main heads of the families argued. 

The two families continued to argue. Minsuk and Seungho often secretly met at a flowery hill with a gentle breeze. It was not too far from their homes. They would play with each other or snooze against one tall tree against one another. Later on, the families stopped all contact from each other and the secret meetings occured less and less. The Chois took drastic action and renovated their main house to a different location. The secret meetings hardly came at all. 

As Minsuk was close to falling asleep under the shady leaves of the tree one summer night, he felt someone warmly breathing onto his lips then kissing them. He opened his eyes, only to see the person he dreadfully wanted to see and love. "Doryeon-nim...." He whispered, tracing Seungho's jawline with his petite hand. The other smiled. Seungho pulled Minsuk into his arms. Minsuk cried in happiness onto his chest. Their grip on each other tightened. They kissed, missing the familiar feeling of each other's lips. The kiss deepened in need and lust. They knew what the other wanted. They went farther than they've ever been. As Seungho lowered the bottom of Minsuk's female clothing, they started to make love on the cool grass. 

"You... you... you!" Minsuk's mother was speechless as she spotted her youngest son returning back to the main home the next morning. He walked in a daze, with his clothes and hair disheveled. "How dare you enter this home in this state! You had with that Choi, didn't you?!" 

Minsuk thought for a second, then said, "I didn't just have with him. I made love with him." He was angered at his mother's sudden burst. "Why should it matter? When I told you he was my lover, you seemed so excited that your beloved youngest son and heir had someone to love. But then you turned your back on Seungho's and my destined love, imitating what almost everyone else is doing." 

His mother snapped and immediately slapped him across the face. She started beating him until Minsuk's grandmother quickly came to his rescue. He went out of consciousness. She looked at his mother in accusation. "Why must you do this? Despite his beliefs, he's still your son." She led him to the washroom to clean his wounds. 

Minsuk's mother shook her fists, blaming Seungho for ruining her youngest son's elegance. 

At night, Minsuk played with his favorite fan as he the silky fabric of his bed. He winced when he touched the purple bruises. He looked out the window. He started to long for Seungho and wished for him to be by his side at this moment. He put his hands together. "Please, for as long the nightly stars may travel, let Choi Seungho and I be reborn as many times every few generations. So that our destiny and happiness to love each other may last forever. May a couple have the same happiness as we had together..."

"And your happiness won't last long now." 

Minsuk turned around and widened his eyes. He was grabbed and thrown onto the floor. He looked up, only to see a dark figure. He recognized him as one of the Chois' family members. He pleaded for mercy and cried for help. But it fazed no one. His cries for help went louder. But the dark figure continued to slash and slaughter the innocent boy until his cries went silent. The figure ran off. He was left to die, bloodied all over the place. It stained his bedroom. Tears poured down his face. Seungho was his last thought.

"Doryeon-nim..." His words faded as his soul traveled along with the stars.


---

{Minho's POV}

I expected Taemin to continue the story but I heard quiet soft breathing. He seemed to have fallen asleep. I chuckled and ruffled his hair. I looked at him then stood up to leave. Ten minutes later, I smiled to myself, knowing what I did.