Math Exam

Royal Traditions, Skirts, and Unknown Love

Taemin tried covering his face with his math book. But he set it on the desk and opened it, keeping his eyes on the following equations. Minho narrowed his eyes at the stubborn girl. Jinki and Jonghyun were too busy trying to cram for the mathematics exam the teacher was about to give them. They seemed to be having a hard time. Kibum was occupied with some fashion magazine, which he'll probably be ready to throw it at Yuri if things get too fiery. The rest of the class stared at the three, expecting some cat fight between 'Taeyeon' and Yuri.

"Omo... Yuri found out..."

"I thought she was Minho oppa's fiancé though... Did he break up their engagement?"

"Maybe, since he's with that new girl."

"In my opinion, Yuri's hotter than Taeyeon," One of the jocks mentioned. Finally, Kibum threw the magazine at the jock who brought that up, glared at him, then flipped open another magazine.

"You hate me? But you don't hate her?" Yuri motioned over to Taemin, who looked up at her then at Minho questioningly.

"She'd hard to deal with. But, I don't hate her," Minho shooed off the question with a simple answer and waved his hand toward the door. "Now, go. You're in a different class. Unless you want to get scolded by your teacher, I suggest you go."

"Oppa..."

"Go."

"Oppa, you can't do this. We're engaged. We belonged to each other since childhood. You've known me longer. You're going to finally leave me for... her?" Yuri was already frustrated at Minho but still kept her calm.

"To be honest, you annoy me more and more as the years go by. Stop with what you and umma are trying to do," Minho looked down at the math book that Taemin was silently studying, or pretending to study. It was probably the latter.

"But..."

"Yuri sshi... you should go back to class. You don't want to fail your math exam," Taemin finally piped up in his girl voice once again and looked up at Yuri. He looked back down to finish the equation he was working on. Maybe he really was studying. Minho recalled Taemin taking out the math book the minute before Yuri walked in.

Yuri was silent then turned around in a perfect 360* angle. She left the classroom without speaking another word, her skirt swishing back and forth. The classroom soon got noisy again. Kibum sighed in relief and set down the fashion magazine. Minho ignored the questions his classmates were shooting him with and started to help Taemin with the equation. The latter pouted at the tall boy but decided to focus on his explaination on the equation.

Jinki and Jonghyun laid their heads back and raised their arms up. They closed their math books and stretched. They lifted their heads and high-fived in success. Kibum stared at them oddly while the two looked back at him in response.

"What?" Kibum asked curiously and looked at Jonghyun. "What is it, yeobo?"

"We studied successfully," Jonghyun grinned. He stretched his arms out. "Now we won't fail the exam."

"What did we miss though?" Jinki questioned.

Kibum was able to throw a magazine at two more people for the day.

---

"Aish! I think I failed the exam," Jonghyun complained. The five boys walked out the classroom together during free period. He, as usual, walked out with Kibum with their hands laced. Minho casually had his arm around Taemin's shoulder, who paid no mind with a book in his hands. Jinki just stared at Taemin. The latter glanced back, blinking at the chicken lover's odd behavior. Jinki was startled but looked away.

"Aww, Jjongie. I'm pretty sure it's wasn't that bad," Kibum insisted, giving his hand a slight squeeze. "How about you, Jinki hyung?"

"I guess I did okay. I didn't do horrible," Jinki shrugged.

"See? If hyung didn't do bad, you haven't either," Kibum put his free hand in the air while Jinki mumbled words of protest. The diva laughed and patted the older's shoulder. "Don't worry, I still love yo- Aiya," That resulted in a light elbowing in the ribs, courtesy of a jealous Kim Jonghyun.

Amidst all the usual OnJongKey chaos, Taemin and Minho didn't seem to care. They walked a different path They talked about anything and were already becoming close. Eyes still glued to the book, Taemin was babbling about some harsh recital practice that he didn't notice he was going ahead of Minho. A freshman was rushing down the hall with a rolling shelf of books as Taemin nearly ran into him. Minho quickly pulled him back, holding him close. The latter dropped his book in surprise. He tightened his grip on Taemin as the freshman ran past them.

Taemin kept his eyes at the floor. His face reddened and his eyes were widened hugely. Minho continued to keep his grip onto him. The dancer soon started to like the feeling of the jock's warm body embracing him. He nearly pouted once Minho let go. He shook his head to snap out of it. He was being ridiculous. The athlete crouches down and picked up the book, handing it to Taemin.

"Free period's almost over. We should get back to class," suggested Minho, walking ahead of Taemin.

Taemin stood there for a moment. Pabo... If you keep on doing this to me, I might stop hating you.., He thought. He quickly caught up to Minho, continuing to talk about how the dance instructor had tripped him on purpose. Minho simply smiles slightly as he listened.

---

"Ugh. This is unbelievable!" Yuri whined. She and her friend Yoona, who was pre-occupied with her phone, secretly watched Minho and Taemin. She sighed defeatedly and looked back at them. "How could Minho do this to me? I've been liking him since we were in primary school."

"You must've chased after him too much. According to some of my friends... Minho hates girls to push themselves toward him too much. Maybe, that's why," Yoona sticks out her tongue cutely and texted more onto her phone. She happily sighs and closes the phone. "No worries! There are much better boys here! Like... uh, Hyunjoong oppa... Or or... Sungmin oppa..."

"Hyunjoong is too smart for me. Sungmin's already with Sunkyu... remember?"

"Oh yeah!"

"Aigoo... Use your brain, Yoona."

"Speaking of brains, how did you do on the exam, Yuri?"

"Aish, none of that!" Yuri waves her hand around and glares at the pair. "Just you wait, Minho will like me instead of that ugly girl..."

"Actually she's pretty hot. If she wasn't a girl, I'd soooo go for her."

"YAH, YOONA!"

"What? I'm speaking the truth. Sure, you've known him much much longer than Taeyeon has. But that doesn't mean that he'll instantly like you because of that fact. While Taeyeon seems to be friendly and kind to most, not to mention she's really pretty. I can't see a reason that Minho should not like her," Yoona pats her friend's shoulder comfortingly. "I have to go, Yuri. I'm in Sungmin's and Sunkyu's class and I can't miss the chance of interupting their usual make-out session," She prances off.

"Aish, that girl..." Yuri sighed. "I'll need someone else to help me..."

Yuri turned around only to be greeted by Jinki, Jonghyun, and Key. She squealed in surprise and fell backwards. The three laughed and high-fived each other. They walked off until Jonghyun turned back.

"You better not mess with our maknaes of the group! Unless you want the Key-va to be all snappy at you," Jonghyun laughed as Kibum hit him in the arm.

"That's it. You're in the doghouse. For a week," Kibum scoffed and walked away.

"What? Aww! But, babe! I was just kidding!" Jonghyun tried to catch up to his boyfriend.

Jinki rolled his eyes and just followed the quarrelling couple, "And this is why I'm not dating yet."

---

It's been a few weeks since then, and the school-wide exam results finally came out. Jinki was crying of happiness as Minho hugged him comfortingly. Taemin gasped at his grade, then smiled. Jonghyun sighed but was satisfied with his score. Key kissed his cheek to cheer him up. The five raised their arms in success (well, Minho had to raise Jinki's arm up because he was still crying) and smiled at their results.

"You got an A- on it, Taem! You're amazing. Minho and I aced it too," Kibum said happily. "Jinki got a B as well."

"B-," Jonghyun smiled solemnly. Kibum traced small circles on his back to soothe him.

"We should celebrate after school, the five of us. It's a Friday, isn't it? We all passed the exam," Jinki suggested.

"A karaoke bar? My mother owns a chain of them. We could go to one," Jonghyun grinned slightly.

"I'm not so sure...," Minho felt weary about this

"Oh, come on. We're in our senior year. Jjong's mother will be okay with it. We could have the room all to ourselves," Kibum clapped his hands. "Taem's okay with it too, right?"

"Huh? Oh, ne," Taemin nodded. "I won't really drink though. I'm not that good of a drinker."

"Oh, don't worry. Minho ah doesn't like drinking either," Kibum replied.

"So it's settled. We'll all meet there. We'll go home, get ready, and meet each other there," Jonghyun nodded.

"I'll drive Taemin there," Minho suddenly said.

"Eh? Why?" Kibum raised an eyebrow.

"Us four have been there before. And it seems a bit far from Taemin's home. So I'll pick him up and drop him off."

"Aigoo... such a kind action from our former maknae.."

A few hours after school ended, Minho stood outside the gate of Taemin's house. He admired the traditional-styled Korean home. The atmosphere seemed nice. He heard footsteps coming toward the main gate and he turned to the source of the sounds. He smiled a bit, knowing who it was.

Taemin approached the gate, no longer imitating as a girl. His brown hair was kept down but Minho realized there were slight streaks of different shades of brown as he looked closer. It looked nice. The younger boy wore a simple black loose open vest over a blue shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, along with black skinny jeans ripped at the knees. He looked up at Minho and sighed in relief.

"Ah, you're here. Let's go, let's go," Taemin quickly opened the gate, closed it behind him, and pushed Minho forward.

"Whoa, why the rush?" Minho asked.

"My family might recognize you. So let's go."

"Fine fine, let's go."

The drive on the way to the karaoke bar was quiet. An awkward atmosphere formed between the two of them as they tried to find words to say. Taemin kicked his legs around as he squirmed in his seat. Minho noticed this, glancing at him questioningly.

"What is it?" Minho looked back at the road.

"I... I have to go to the bathroom," Taemin blushed.

Minho shook his head, "Silly. We're almost there."

"God, I have to pee."

"Stop complaining."

"I'll pee right here, do you want that?"

Minho made sure to speed up a few more miles per hour.

As soon as the five entered the karaoke bar, Taemin quickly greeted then asked Jonghyun's mother where the public washroom was and rushed towards it. Kibum laughed at his "son's" cuteness and sat in a seat in front of the bar counter. The rest took a seat as well. The diva continued to elbow his boyfriend, asking him to sing for them. Embarrassed, the latter refused to. Taemin bounced back into the room and took a seat beside Minho.

An hour into the little party, most of them were already flustered. Kibum clapped frantically for Jonghyun supportively as he downed yet another glass of a pink yet strong drink. Jonghyun crooned as loud and offtune as he could into the microphone. Jinki was mumbling to one of the female employees about a theory that chickens will take over the world. Taemin and Minho were the sober ones, considering they didn't drink at all. They couldn't help bur make fun of their hyungs for being idiots when they're drunk.

Jonghyun replaced himself with Jinki as he walked in an odd way towards his seat. He asked for a few mugs of beer and shared it amongst the other three. Kibum and he happily chugged one each. He stared at Taemin, who stared into space dazed, with a mug of beer in one hand. He grabbed his chin and opened his mouth, forcing the beer down the boy's throat. Taemin and Minho were taken aback by this.

"Yah! Jonghyun hyung! What the hell are you doi-" Minho yelled but was interupted.

"Trust me, Minho," Jonghyun slurred. "You'll thank me later."

Taemin put his hand on his lips once he swallowed the last drop. He was silent for a few minutes, blinking nervously. He then grinned a bit then asked for another mug.

This'll be a long night.