#20 New Year's Day

So It Goes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hold on to the memories they will hold on to you,

And I will hold on to you.

- Taylor Swift (New Year's Day)

 

Honestly, after everything that happened in the hospital, Jooyeon gets quite everything she wanted: To be not awkward around her own family. It's just all of them finally open up to her and finally treats her like a proper sister. For those who were still quite stiff around her got more comfortable so quickly and started to speak so informally with them. She even went to a fair with Jungkook. Time is on her side now; when she was busy with school and others with their own business, it was also one of the reasons that they didn't 'get along' well. But now on the holidays everyone has their long day-offs, that time can be used for their legitimate bonding. 

'Yah, something came in the mail for you. A big box. Be careful.' Taehyung scares her, snickering while walking passed her. 

She thanked him and takes the mysterious pink box to her room. It is big enough to cover her whole upper body while she's carrying it. 

Jooyeon then opens it and to her surprise, there is a couple of small heart balloons that are now flying to her room's ceiling. One says 'Happy Birthday' on it.

Holy , she widens her eyes. I forgot my own birthday. This girl wrote her birthday on the DNA test form but didn't even recalled by it. 

Looking inside, the girl finds so many gifts. One big scrapbook with Happy Birthday Jooyeon on the cover, one designer wallet, one custom set box of make up, one trainer shoes, and lots of her favourite snacks and sweets originated from her previous home city, London. In lots mean almost box-full of them.

Also, three fancy-looking letters from the only best-est friends in the world, Jennie, Rosé, and Lisa. Which the girl immediately reads one by one, and them actually also apologise for not being with her. Rosé is visiting her relatives in Sydney, Jennie is having a year end vacation with family in Italy, and Lisa is in her hometown Bangkok. She got teary eyes while reading the sweet letters, with some bit of a cussing from Jennie which she laughs it off. And at the end of their letter, there is a same notice to tell that she has to call them if she has received the box. Of course, the girl immediately phone them by video.

'Yah! How dare you three make me cry like this!' Jooyeon scold the first time after they all picked up, showing her leftover tears. Each of them video-calls from different locations.

'Because you're the cry baby in this group and we just had to.' Roséanne said with confidence.

The birthday girl gives a face, 'Talking about yourself, don't you?'

'Anyways, did it just arrive?' Jennie changes the topic.

Jooyeon, 'Yeah, this afternoon! Thank you so much guys I really appreciate everything!'

'Aw, it came late,' Lisa frowns. 'We… tried to phone you but you still blocked our numbers.'

'It doesn't matter! I'm so happy now! And I'm… realllyyy sorry about that.' The girl is truly seen the happiest now, she almost squeals at every word.

'We're so glad you're this happy.'

They talk for almost two hours by video phone, Jennie even got scolded by her parents and had to move place. Jooyeon told every thing that happened and about her blocking their numbers. Even without her having to apologise, the three had already known that she had something to clear up. And Lisa even asked Jungkook that time because she was a bit worried. And him telling that she was alright, exactly what she would want to be. The other three also share their stories, like Jennie who is still trying to convince her parents because she wanted to be an artist instead of a lawyer (her parents' choice), Rosé actually having a feud with her cousin (so unlike her), and Lisa who decided to reside in Seoul by herself and stay until she graduates from university.

Nothing saddens her now, even when all this lateness happened, she still cherish every moment.

 

On the other hand, none of their brothers actually remembered. It was actually on the 26th of December, the day where Jungkook was still recovering in the hospital. However, Taehyung just accidentally walked passed her room and found her opening the big box. When he saw the Happy Birthday balloon floated, he turns panic and went straight to his room. 

'Holy , when is her birthday? Why did I forget? When is my birthday?' He talks to himself, gets panicked and starts to be anxious; lad even forget that it's his birthday tomorrow on the 30th. Though he kind of get the gist that hers is close to his day. 

After that, he immediately texts Seokjin privately, asking for where he keeps their birth certificates.

In the library, white shelf, far left, blue shiny binder. He replied.

Taehyung goes there and easily finds the binder. His eyes widen when reading hers:

Name: Kim Jooyeon

Born: December 26th*

We're three days late. She had nothing on her birthday. Not even a seaweed soup. He says inside, cannot believe of what just happened. Which he proceed to phoning the o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter