It's Wednesday Night, My Gals

Our House [One-Shot/Drabble Collection]

It’s a Wednesday night and it’s Chanyoung’s and Jungin’s turn to cook dinner.

They had known their chores since Sunday, but weirdly enough both of them were very nervous about making dinner. Just Tuesday night the both of them converse about admitting not knowing how to cook food properly. It had came to a point that they competed with each other about who burned the most non-burnable food—Chanyoung won with a bowl of cereal.

Admittedly they agreed on sandwiches, but the second Junhee calls them in to the kitchen and tells them to start cooking the two scout out the kitchen. They quickly realize that they have little to nothing for sandwiches—they lose all hope.

Jungin completely freezes and blanks and Chanyoung knows why: Jungin cannot and is uncomfortable with making decisions and not having a plan. She remembers talking about that issue with Jungin nights ago, but seeing it in full force is a bit concerning. Chanyoung doesn’t want Jungin to have a mini breakdown so she goes through what they have once more, quickly.

The household buys food per a week so it’s not like they don’t have food because they do. They—mainly Kyungri, Misook and Junhee—buy food that has to be prepared ahead of time and not easy ready foods that one could just pop into the oven and then serve.

Chanyoung is gnawing at her lower lip. Her eyes are flying over all the foods in the pantry as fast as Jungin loud inhales are growing. It’s making Chanyoung nervous and she just wants to give up because she knows Jungin isn’t going to be much of a help with decisions and—

“Spaghetti!” Chanyoung screams with her booming voice. It’s like she's won a gold medal or something because she sounds so happy. “Spaghetti, Nini! Look!” Chanyoung taps the wooden doors to the pantry to gather the younger's attention and succeeds.

Jungin is still shortly taking in breath, but Chanyoung can see her trying to calm down at the fact that a plan is laid out.

“We’ve got, like, pounds of pre-prepared noodles here and… Oh! So much sauce, dude, Nini, we’ve got this. Dinner is going to be served!” Chanyoung turns back to Jungin with a goofy smile and exaggerated gestures. It’s comical, really.

Jungin only nods, though, as she holds her hands to her palpitating heart beat. She can see that Chanyoung is doing everything in her access to help calm her anxiety and it warms her truly. Chanoyung’s silly personality is refreshing to Jungin and just steady counting in her head, Jungin’s heart is returning back to normal drum beats.

Chanyoung takes out the much needed things; carelessly throwing the boxes and tossing the cans onto the counter next to the stove. Jungin reacts just as quick by stopping a few from tumbling off.

“What about… side dishes?” Jungin murmurs as she gathers the cans to the other side of the stove and lines them up side by side.

“Uuuhh,” Chanyoung shuts the pantry door slowly as her eyes travel up to the ceiling in thought. “Garlic bread?”

Jungin blinks at her, “Do we have… garlic bread?”

Chanyoung’s eyes drop to Jungin’s and the two freeze as they try to recall if they did or didn’t.

“Yes?” Chanyoung questions but makes no real move to look for it so Jungin does by visiting the freezer and rummaging through it.

“We do!” Jungin pops her head from the side of the freezer door with two loaves of bread. Chanyoung makes a weird sound from but Jungin is going to take that as an excited expression.

The two get to cooking; Jungin filling up two decently large pots with water three-fourths of the way from the sink to the stove because they couldn’t find any of the measuring cups and Jungin doesn’t trust Chanyoung enough to carry them over that short distance. The bread is left out to thaw—

(“Shouldn’t we put it back in the fridge until it’s closer to being done?”

“But it says to “leave out to thaw for ten minutes”, though.”

“I know but… doesn’t it get bad if we leave it out too long?”

“...Would it?”)

—and all the cans are on Jungin's side because she puts her foot down about opening them and pouring them all into another pot just to sit in; it just doesn’t sit well with Jungin to leave all the sauce in a pot if they aren’t going to heat it up right away. In the sinks are the colanders, thrown carelessly by Chanyoung, but later fixed by Jungin properly.

And finally, with the pots on their respective spots on the stove, the two have a small argument about what to put in the water—oil or butter—for the noodles to not come out sticky. Thankfully it doesn’t last long and butter [Jungin] won. It’s now time for the main part.

Chanyoung hands half of the noodle packets to Jungin and they both cut them open.

“Wait!” Chanyoung shouts, “Do we leave them at their length or break them in half?” Chanyoung squints her eyes at Jungin who mirrors her expression.

“We could do half and half? Long and short?” Jungin suggests with a shy shrug.

Chanyoung stares at the ceiling again with her lips up to her nose. “Sounds like a solid plan, Nini.” Chanyoung confirms with a nod.

Maybe the two really are oblivious to the obvious or are too nervous to think straight, but they follow through with their plan in a unnatural way—Chanyoung dumps the regular length noodles into one pot and the other half in the second; Jungin does the exact same but with her broken half noodles.

It isn’t until the pots really start to boil and cook when Jungin is slapped with a horrifying thought:

“How are we going to separate the long noodles from the short noodles?”


A / N:
okay but this was really cute to write??? i love these two because they're so ?!!?!? you know? ;A;
soft. the softness is real. soft friendship *paws at screen* lmao
ATTENTION : i just want to make aware that Our House is now also cross-posted onto Wattpad on my acc [link on my profile].
all chapters WILL/ARE the same as the ones here [just posted in different order] and new chs will be posted here first.
the reason why is simply because of app convenience for readers, that's all.
other then making aware that this series is cross-posted, i have nothing else to say xD
until next Monday!