Chapter 4

Love of a Butterfly

 

“D-Did you just kiss me, Taetae...?”

 

Taeyeon is shocked as well when she realized that she just made a mistake toward the princess before quickly letting go of the royal lady. What the hell I have done... “I-...” she didn’t know what to say until she heard someone called out her name. “Taeng!” her best friend got closer and bowed deeply to the princess before continue giving her report. “He managed to run away. I failed to catch him I’m sorry.” the shadow guard informed. The news makes her wary and it distracts her mind from what happened between her and the princess earlier because the latter’s safety is her priority.

 

“We must return right now before that man comes again bringing his comrades for another attack.” she commanded before leading her small group to immediately leave the town. During their trip back to the palace, there’s awkward silence between her and the princess as she doesn’t dare to look at the young royal lady. “Y-You have arrived safely, Your Highness... Please have a good rest and sleep well...” she told the princess timidly as she lowering her head when they have reached the latter’s palace. The princess didn’t say anything as she then just walked away escorted by the royal servants.

 

She sighed. “I’m screwed up, Hyo. What should I do now...” she mumbled to her best friend when they already left the princess’ palace while the other shadow guards staying over. “That sudden attack was not your fault, Taeng. Princess Miyoung was just shocked. Her Highness will be fine.” her friend replied. “It’s not that... I-... Ah, never mind...” she stops talking. But it’s not because she doesn’t trust her best friend. She thinks it’s better to keep her problem to herself since it’s a private matter. “Something else happened?” Hyoyeon asked with some concern. “Nothing.” she answered shortly.

 

“Okay then. You should also take a rest, Taeng. Don’t think too much about today’s incident. We will catch the man and find out his motive.” the shadow guard said. “Thanks, Hyo. I can count on you.” she replied her friend. They then bid their goodbye and go on separate ways since the shadow guard still has some works to do. She also needs to think about how to face the princess again after the inappropriate thing that she did to the member of the royal family. She’s afraid that it will ruin their friendship and the princess’ trust on her because she doesn’t want to lose her most beloved woman.

 

“Welcome home, Young Lord.” her personal servant greeted with a bright smile as she bowed deeply to her when she has arrived at her family residence. “Are you alright, Young Lord? You do not seem fine. I will make some herbal tea for you. Maybe it can help you to relax and relieve your stress.” the pretty servant said again. “No need, Seolhyun. I’m okay, thank you. I just want to sleep.” she replied the girl as kind as possible since she’s not in the mood to talk right now before walking straight to her own private chamber. For now, sleep is her only way to escape from reality.

 

“P-Please, Your Highness... I-I’m really sorry...”

 

“A-Are you alright, Lord Kim...” suddenly she heard someone calling her in the middle of her slumber as she could also feel her hair is being caressed softly. She then slowly opened her eyes and surprised to see another person’s face right above her. She immediately gets off from the girl who’s none other than her personal servant. “What are you doing in my room, Seolhyun? Since when I slept on your lap?” she scolded the girl in confusion. She doesn’t like it if someone else enters her chamber without permission. Her servant then quickly left the bed and dropped on her knees.

 

“P-Please forgive me, Young Lord... I-I heard Young Lord Kim kept talking nervously during sleep... I-I was just worried... I-I’m so sorry for my impertinence...” her personal servant stuttered from the floor while lowering her head. She then sighed. “I forgive you. You can leave now, Seolhyun. I’m fine, thank you. You don’t need to worry.” She told the girl with a nicer tone.  “T-Thank you for your kindness, Young Lord… May you have a good sleep. Please excuse me…” her servant said again before leaving her room. But she just keeps mum. I don’t think I can go back to sleep, Seolhyun ah…

 

Few days have passed since the incident happened and she keeps avoiding the princess by spending most of her time at the training ground of the military. “Yah, are you okay, Taeng? You almost never missed out your targets when doing archery though.” her best friend in the army addressed her after she shot another arrow that barely hit the object again. She sighed. “I’m alright, Yul.” She answered the tall woman as she put down her bow before going to the side to drink some water. “You don’t seem alright though. Wanna join me to the town to get some entertainment from the gisaengs? They always ask for you every time I go there.” the sub-commander talked again.

 

“Sorry, but I’m not in the mood for entertainment, Yul.” She replied after wiping off with her sleeve before going back to the field to resume her training. “Why it’s so hard to invite you for having some fun, Taeng. You need to learn some ways to relieve your stress.” Yuri grumbled. “This is my way to relax, Yul. Just go play with your gisaengs. I’m fine here.” She replied her tanned friend again as she took another arrow from her back. Yuri then sighed. “Okay if that what you want. I’m going now.” the woman finally gave up. She just hummed before releasing the arrow from the bow.

 

She barely had any sleep the next morning when she heard someone knocking her room door. She then grunted in displeasure as she rubbing her temple while still closing her eyes. “Excuse me, Young Lord... I-I’m sorry for disturbing so early b-but Her Highness Princess Miyoung is here...” her eyes shot wide open to hear the unexpected information from her personal servant before immediately sitting up. I’m so dead. “I-I’ll get ready...” she answered the girl before quickly moving off the bed to wash up and dress up in hurry. For her, this is more nerve-wrecking than going to the battlefield.

 

“Kim Taeyeon is at your service. Please forgive me to keep you waiting for so long, Your Highness...” she greeted and bowed deeply to the princess as she tries to suppress her nervousness in front of the royal when she has reached the guest reception room of her family residence. “How are you, Lord Kim?” the princess suddenly asked her in a formal way. It sounds kinda weird to her. “I-I’m fine, Your Highness...” she lied as she’s still lowering her head. “I see...” the princess replied shortly from the chair in the room. “Can you all leave us alone? I need to talk with Commander Kim in private.” the princess then told her own guards and servants which immediately obeyed by them.

 

“Don’t you have something to say, Lord Kim?” the princess broke the silence after several minutes gone by since the people left but she just keeps quiet. “Where’s the brave Supreme Commander Kim that our kingdom proud of? I’m disappointed, Taetae...” Princess Miyoung talked again after there no answer from her. Those words then made Taeyeon bend her knee in front of the young royal lady. “I seek your forgiveness for my irreverence that night, Your Highness… I-I shouldn’t do that… I am really sorry for disappointing Your Highness... I will accept any chastisement...” she’s not afraid of physical punishment. She’s only scared if her most beloved woman ended their friendship.

 

“Get up and look at me, Taetae. I won’t punish you. I just want to hear some explanation for your action toward me that night.” the princess then told her softly. But she still doesn’t move as she keeps on her position to hide her feeling. “I-I just wanted to calm Your Highness down from the panic because of that sudden attack… Please forgive me for being impudent toward you, Your Highness…” she didn’t lie but she definitely can’t tell the princess that she did it because she couldn’t bear to see the love of her life that way. She can’t be honest since she doesn’t want to lose the lady.

 

“I see…  So they gave me wrong information then…” the princess said with a tone which sounded like she’s a bit disappointed. She wondered as she slowly looking up to see the beautiful royal lady in front of her who never stops making her heart flutter. “Excuse me b-but may I know what kind of information you have got, Your Highness…?” she asked Princess Miyoung nervously since she’s curious and worried if this piece of “information” is related to her true feeling toward the princess of the kingdom. “I can’t tell you, Taetae.” the princess answered before rising from her seat.

 

“I wanna go to the lake again. Can you take me there, Taetae?” the princess then asked. “S-Sure, Your Highness. Please allow me to get ready...” she replied as she getting back on her feet. But then she got a surprise when the princess suddenly gave her a soft peck on the cheek. She’s stunned by the ‘kiss’ that left her a tingling sensation. “Thank you for saving my life again, Taetae.” the princess said with a little smile on her face before walking away. But Taeyeon just stays still as she blushed madly. Her heart stops beating. It’s the first time in a while since the royal princess did this kind of gesture toward her long ago when they’re still kids. I think you just killed me on the spot, Princess Miyoung...