009

2 Masks, 1 Kiss

            "Stand at attention for the King and Queen of Daehan have arrived," Jaehyun announced as the gates opened up and the Royal carriage strolled in.

            The carriage stopped in front of the palace steps as Doyoung and Mark made their way to open up the carriage. The King was the first to step out and then the Queen.

            "Welcome back, King Kyuhyun and Queen SeungWan," the Palace Headmaster greeted them with a bow.

            "Yes, it is good to be back, Joohyun," the Queen said with a smile. "Where's my daughter?”

            "Oh, the Princess is up in her quarters, she seems to be a bit below the weather today," Joohyun answered.

            "In this snowy winter? She must be way below this weather," King Kyuhyun chuckled.

            "Oh, it's not too bad, your majesty," she interjected. "Shall I send someone to retrieve her?"

            "Please do," the Queen nodded her head. "Tell her to meet in the family room."

 

            "Princess KangYuna, the King and Queen have arrived," Jaehyun announced once more. KangYuna, however, had her back turned away. She wrapped herself tighter in the blanket. "The Queen has requested that you meet her and the King in the family room."

            No answer.

            "Princess, although it is gray outside, it is the afternoon and you can't stay in bed all day."

            "I don't want to," KangYuna croaked out from her somewhat sore throat.

            "Why are you being so difficult?" Jaehyun muttered. Jaehyun turned around and left the room.

            After hearing the door shut, KangYuna sat up on her bed. She immediately grabbed her head from the head rush. She shrugged it off and went out of her room and headed toward the large double white doors.

            She pushed it open slowly and poked her head in. "Mom? Dad?"

            "Come in, KangYuna," the queen's voice resonated through the room.

            As she stepped in the room, the King and Queen had spent their few first minutes at home drinking tea by the open fireplace.

            "Mom! Dad!" KangYuna quickly walked over to her parents and greeted them with a big hug. "I missed you so much!"

            "We did too, but I think you were interested in someone else while we were gone," the Queen quirked up an eyebrow.

            "We heard everything on our way back," the King responded. “You’ve been quite a rebellious girl.”

            "Oh, well, I'm not so sure what to say..." KangYuna bit her. "But I really li-"

            "We don't approve of it," the Queen stated, blankly.

            "What?"

            "What is important that you find someone that better fits you," the Queen responded.

            "What do mean 'better fits me'? I like Baekhyun and I think he's perfect," KangYuna crossed her arms.

            "Baekhyun seems great, but he's just not worthy," the King spoke.

            "Worthy? You haven’t even met him. I believe he can be worthy of the crown."

            "Oh no, honey, we mean he's not worthy of anything because he's not worth anything."

            KangYuna's jaw dropped. "How can you say something so appalling like that? Who are you people? First Jaehyun and now you guys too?"

            "It's the truth and against royal conduct," the King said.

            "I don't believe any of this," KangYuna shook her head. “What royal conduct?”

            “One that says you can’t marry into a disastrous family like that.”

            "We already spoke with Jaehyun and he agrees that this is so," the Queen tapped her foot. "Jaehyun, you can come in."

            KangYuna snapped her head around. "What the hell, Jaehyun?"

            "Orders from Queen and King," he bowed as he walked in.

            "And the word is final that you will be kept watched, no outside archery training, no more parties."

            "You're punishing me?"

            "It is what’s best to keep your safe and away from the others," Jaehyun butted in.

            "What are you talking about? Why are you treating Baekhyun so differently? Can’t you just meet him first before you place any judgement on him?" Tears edged KangYuna's eyelids.

            "Because it's who he is and who is family is as well. They just don't fit in with us or anyone else," the Queen said. “It’s already ashamed that are family name won’t be truly carried on.”

            "Are you saying it’s my fault that I’m not a son? This is so ridiculous. I can’t believe how absurd you three sound right now! Maybe you should have had a son instead of me," KangYuna quickly left the room, slamming the door behind her.

            The King sighed; hating the sight of how upset his only daughter is. ”Is there a way to turn it around?"

            "Not even Dr. Kang can do anything. It's already too late," Jaehyun replied. “I tried reading our ancestors’ books from the library, but to no avail.”

            "Is keeping her away really the right thing to do?" The Queen questioned, gently gripping the King’s arm.

            "It might be..." Jaehyun crossed his arms. “I at least want Dr. Kang to try and give her some medicine for her incoming sickness. There should be some time.”

            "It's been a long time since this problem has ever occurred and even then, they were always the right match," the Queen sighed.

            "We just have to hope for the best then," the King clutched the Queen's hand.

            "Maybe, it’s a mistake. What happened to you, Jaehyun? Weren't you to be the one?" The Queen asked the guard.

            "I'm not sure... I don't think she reciprocated any of my feelings," Jaehyun ruffled up his hair. "I just-"

            The door flew open and an out-of-breath Mark appeared. "Emergency!"

            "What is it, dear?" The Queen stood up.

            Mark took in a large gulp of air. "The Princess has fainted."

            "What?" The three exclaimed at the same time.

 

            "I believe she has caught something. She's running a fever, but I think it should pass over soon," the doctor said as she placed a wet towel over the Princess's forehead. "I think it's best to give her some space and let the fever drain out. Don't worry; I will be here to watch over her."