013

2 Masks, 1 Kiss

         

            “What do you mean ‘she wasn’t supposed to change’?” Baekhyun questioned as he laid KangYuna’s limp wolf body on the couch.

            “I can’t believe you were so oblivious to the fact she’s also a wolf too,” Jaehyun laughed.

            “She only has a small percentage of it. No one could have realized,” Suho rolled his eyes. “I can’t believe you’re so oblivious to how ty your attitude is.”

            “Suho, you knew this whole time that she was a wolf?” Kai questioned.

            Suho nodded. “Well, if her grandparents and parents are wolves then it’s likely to assume to she is one too. Also at the ball, I was able to catch her wolf scent when she saw Baekhyun.”

            “But she is very much human and that’s what makes this so dangerous,” Jaehyun crossed his arms.

            “She’s not ‘very much human’ right now, is she?” Xiumin talked back.

            “So how do we fix this?” D.O questioned.

            “You don’t.” All the men turned around to see Dr. Kang standing behind them with her arms crossed.

            “Seulgi, how did you…” Jaehyun stepped toward her.

            She shook her head and walked passed to the Princess. “You’re an idiot, you know. I can track your scent from miles away. I followed slowly behind because I knew you would need my help eventually.”

            “Is the whole palace full wolves?” Kai thought out loud.

            “Yes, sir,” Seulgi knelt in front of KangYuna. “My Princess, what have they done to you? If only I could tell what is happening inside of you…”

            Lay pushed his way through the crowd and placed a palm on KangYuna’s forehead and closed his eyes.

            “Hey, what do you think-“

            “Relax, Jaehyun, Lay has the power of healing. He can do many wonders with his power and it’s all for good,” Suho said. “He helped KangYuna heal faster.”

            “What harm could you do with healing?” Chanyeol laughed out loud.

            Lay opened his eye as they flashed a bright hazel and then back to his dark brown. “It’s really hard to tell. There’s nothing ‘wrong’ with her besides being a wolf at the moment. To be honestly, she’s actually perfectly fine. Well, like said, just the inside of her is fine.”

            “I think she just needs to wake up and try to transform back,” Seulgi stood up. “How do we wake her…?”

            “I got this,” Chen smiled. He reached forward and poked KangYuna with his index finger.

            Suddenly, KangYuna shot up with a jolt. She shook her head and glared at whoever shocked her.

            “Sorry, Princess but it was needed,” he laughed and ruffled her small head.

            She tilted her head in confusion realizing that she felt different. Everything seemed to look a lot sharper, her senses were heightened. She crossed her eyes and to notice that her nose was black and much farther away than usual. She looked down to see paws and not hands nor feet and let out a weak bark. Realizing that she just barked, she frantically looked at everyone around her staring right back at her.

            “KangYuna-”

            She ducked underneath her paws and whimpered.

            “Oh no, it’s okay,” Baekhyun quickly came over and rubbed KangYuna’s back. He sat down on the couch next to her and smoothed out her fur. “Don’t be scared. I know it’s all new and scary but there’s nothing to worry about.”

            KangYuna peeked out from under her paws and looked at Baekhyun. ‘Gosh, his face is so beautiful.’ She snuggled her head up against his hand. “Please help me.”

            Baekhyun laughed. “I will. You just have to trust me, trust all of us.”

            “Introductions can be made at a later time,” Chanyeol waved hello at the Princess.

            “Princess, this is what you need to do. You need to transform back into a human. It’s hard to explain but every wolf is different in how they transform. Some are very natural at transforming, others may need to think or concentrate on something,” Jaehyun explained and them demonstrated by turning into a wolf then back to human.

            “Just try something and maybe it’ll work,” Baekhyun encouraged.

            KangYuna nodded her head and closed her eyes to concentrate, but she couldn’t. She opened her eyes back up and tilted her head at Baekhyun with a slight pout to her lips.

            “She can’t…” Baekhyun petted her head. “It’s always hard for newbies to change.”

            “As you should know,” Seulgi turned around and blinked her eyes slowly at Jaehyun.

            “Look I know everything is my fault but throwing it at my face is hurting me too,” Jaehyun crossed his arms and leaned against the wall, looking away from everyone else.

            KangYuna hopped down from the couch but to only flop right down onto the ground from not being used to the whole four legs things. She struggled getting up back up, but she eventually did and took small baby steps.

            “Gosh, she’s so cute,” Baekhyun smiled and hid his blushing cheeks with his hands.

            “Gosh, you’re so whipped,” Chanyeol mocked his best friend.

            KangYuna nudged Jaehyun’s leg. “What?”

            KangYuna growled at his tone. “How dare you stand like that in front of me?”

            “Are you really pulling that card on me?” Jaehyun rolled his eyes.

            KangYuna growled more and let out a fearful bark that scared Jaehyun and everyone before them. For a newbie, she learned to adjust in her new body very well. “You better fix that attitude of yours and stand at attention right now.”

            Jaehyun jolted from the wall and stood at attention with his hands behind his back and head down. “Head Palace Guard Jung Jaehyun at attention.”

            “Where are the others?”

            The other six members of NCT guards quickly made their way next to Jaehyun and stood at attention. KangYuna turned her head at looked at Dr. Kang and tilted her head towards the boys.

            “Boys, I think we should learn the proper way to stand at attention when a Princess is angry, yes? Yes.” Seulgi placed her hands on the boys back and straightens them up to stand in the same stance as the NCT guards.

            KangYuna slowly paced back in forth in between the two lines of men. “Everyone has a lot of explaining to do and I want answers. I wanted to be at least a human to hear these answers, but I guess that won’t be happening at this moment, correct? So I think the answer I want to hear the most is why the hell I am wolf and why I wasn’t acknowledged of this? I want to hear it from Mark.”

            “It’s in your family bloodline,” Mark said with his head down.

            “Lift up your head.”

            Mark obeyed. “You are part of a whole line of wolves. Everyone in the Cho family is a wolf and so is the whole palace. No one told you about this because as time went on, your family line began to decrease and the wolf genes in your bodies were disappearing. Your father and mother have a small percentage of it. They’re able to change but not frequently like us. You have the smallest percentage making you unable to turn into a wolf and there was seen no reason to tell you if you couldn’t even change.”

            “It’s Yuta’s turn.”

            Yuta lifted up his head. “This was part of the secret royal conduct that we held within the palace. Your family kept it a secret for years and they never mention anything of this ability in any of their books except for ten which are kept safe with Seulgi since they hold very important medical information that no other doctor can fix and only Seulgi could. It’s also because since you are the only offspring of the King and Queen, the chances of your husband may not be a wolf.”

            “Now tell me, Jaehyun, what is the real reason of you becoming my Head Palace Guard and not the others who are older than you?”

            “Well… I did go to military as you know, but I wasn’t recruited because of my outstanding scores. I was already to be a guard for you because my mother, who is a prophet for the royal family, told your mother and father that I was to be your mate. They knew the consequences of keeping us apart if I went away into the army.”

            “But how did she really know?”

            “All wolves release this scent that is called a ‘mating scent’, as you can say, and it lets everyone know that they are to be destined with someone especially if they are near so they thought it was you.”

            KangYuna cocked her head to the side. “If it’s not me then who is it?”

            “It’s me,” everyone once again looked over to Dr. Kang with her head down. “I apologize for speaking without permission.”

            “You?” Jaehyun stepped toward Dr. Kang. “But I-“

            “I know and I don’t get it either, but you can never get things through that thick skull of yours.”

            “I’m sorry.”

            “Don’t apologize. I don’t want to hear it,” she said and crossed her arms. “Go back to attention.”

            “That’s enough for right now. Now, let’s change me back to my normal self. Please?”

            “You can release yourself from attention,” Seulgi poked Baekhyun’s side.

            Baekhyun sighed and quickly walked over to KangYuna and gave her a tight hug and kissed the side of her snout.

            “Gross, there are better times to affectionate and now is not the time,” Doyoung scrunched his face in disgust.

            “In the fairy tales, kissing always seemed to fix the problem,” Baekhyun whined.

            “That guy was a prince and you certainly aren’t a prince,” D.O said.

            “Not yet, at least,” KangYuna Baekhyun’s cheek.