017

2 Masks, 1 Kiss

            “Princess KangYuna! Oh, KangYuna! You’re finally home,” the Queen quickly ran down the stairs and engulfed KangYuna in a tight hug. “Oh my dear child, you’re okay!”

            The King calmly descended from the top and greeted Jaehyun “Good work, Jung Jaehyun.” Jaehyun bowed with Baekhyun then popping up from behind the guard. The King eyed him for a moment before clearing his throat.

            “Mom, Dad?” KangYuna escaped her mother’s tight grip and went back to Baekhyun’s side. “This is Byun Baekhyun.”

            “And what is he doing here at the palace?” The King questioned. “We asked for only you to come back.”

            “He had to come back with me. Baekhyun was the only way I could come home. I’m sure Seulgi told you that I couldn’t get through the boundary around his house. We figured out that when I crossed with Baekhyun, I was able to get through it. Not only that but when Baekhyun left towards the house, crossing the boundary, I immediately fell sick again,” KangYuna explained. “When he came back to my side, I was okay again.”

            “The moon is playing dirty,” the King looked over to his wife. “I guess we can’t be too harsh on the boy.”

            “No, you can’t and I forbid it,” KangYuna clutched Baekhyun’s arm.

            “Princess,” Baekhyun lightly touched KangYuna’s hand.

            Baekhyun deeply bowed toward the King and Queen. “Your majesties, it’s a great honor to finally meet you in person. I deeply apologize for showing up uninvited and for any grief that I have caused you recently and for kidnapping the Princess…”

            “You do realize that is a huge crime you have made?” The King questioned Baekhyun with an eyebrow quirked. “You could be sentenced to death.”

            “Yes, your highness,” Baekhyun closed his eyes. “But we all know that it was only to save her.”

            “Talking back now?”

            “No your Majesty, I just-”

            “I’m only joking, son. Let’s go inside before we all catch a cold,” the King laughed and scurried off inside.

            Baekhyun let out a shaky breath. KangYuna laughed and dragged him up the stairs. “Dad can be such a jokester sometimes”

            “I don’t like playing games…” Baekhyun pouted.

            “That is such a lie!” KangYuna smacked Baekhyun’s arm.

            “I know it is too,” Baekhyun dramatically sighed. He began to fake cry. “Why does my girlfriend’s parents have to be the King and Queen of the kingdom?”

            KangYuna rolled her eyes and entered the palace and was greeted by the Head Palace Mistress.

            “Welcome back, Princess KangYuna,” she bowed, greatly. “I hope you are feeling a lot better. Would you like a bath and a fresh set of clothes set for you? After being gone, I’m sure you would like to freshen up a bit more.”

            “Oh…” It wasn’t too far off of a suggestion that KangYuna assumed would happen when she returned from the palace. She just wasn’t quite ready to relax since she was just waiting for the storm of her parents had prepared for Baekhyun and her, maybe more for Baekhyun.

            “And as for your guest, the King and Queen would like to have a word with him in private and it must be private. The bath has already been fill for you so it would be best if you take my offer Princess KangYuna before it gets cold,” she held her clipboard close to her chest and pressed her lips together. Her facial expression told KangYuna that the only option was to take the Head Palace Mistress’s suggestion. Besides to get on her parents good side again, she must follow their instructions.

            “Sure,” KangYuna nodded her head. “I will take him there myself and meet back in my room.”

            “Of course Princess,” she bowed. “I will make sure that the maids keep the bath hot for you then.” Joohyun then left towards KangYuna’s room.

            “Let’s head upstairs,” KangYuna pulled Baekhyun forward.

            “Who is she?” Baekhyun asked, a little intimated from what he just witnessed.

            “She’s our Palace Headmaster, Bae Joohyun. She’s basically the working gears of the palace. She tells everyone what to do and how to do their job and she sometimes trains the bodyguards,” KangYuna explained taking slow careful steps up the stairs. “She’s super intelligent and put a lot trust in her that she’s keeping all the people in the palace in order.”

            Baekhyun nodded his head. They walked through the hallway in silence, enjoying each other’s presence.

            “I must make my stop right here before Joohyun gets impatient with me,” KangYuna stopped in front of her room. “If you go down a little further down then the family room will be to your right. You’ll know it’s the family room by the white double doors,” KangYuna directed. “There are only a few double doors in this palace to show the importance of the room so it shouldn’t be too hard to find.”

            “When will you back? I don’t know how well I can handle being in the same room as the King and Queen. You know, it’s not every day you fall in love with Princess of Daehan,” he smirked as he placed his hands on her small waist. Baekhyun looked so dreamily right now and KangYuna couldn’t help but be in awe.

            “Oh gosh, just go! I’ll be back soon enough,” KangYuna blushed and pushed him away, playfully.

            KangYuna walked into her room and Baekhyun was left alone in the hallway. He lingered for a bit longer before heading down the hall. He stood in front of the family room doors and took in a deep breath before knocking a couple times.

            “Come in.”

            Baekhyun gulped and pushed the door open. He jumped a little when he saw a large wolf sitting in front of the fireplace. He wasn’t sure why he jumped since it wasn’t necessarily an unusual sight for him, but it was just surprising that they would reveal themselves to him in their forms. Maybe this was how Lay felt when he randomly showed up in his form at home and scared him. Baekhyun immediately bowed and remain still in his place by the door.

            The larger male wolf started to move and walk toward Baekhyun. He soon changed back into a human and laughed. Baekhyun bowed once more towards the King.

            “Come now. Sit down with us,” he patted Baekhyun’s back.

            Baekhyun sat down on one of the couches across from the King and Queen. He played with his fingers out of nervousness and looked around at the beautiful decorations decorating the room around him. He looked all around, but the King and Queen.

            “So how old are you Baekhyun?” The King started off his interrogation.

            Baekhyun looked towards the King and blinked a couple times before answering. “Twenty-six, your majesty.”

            “A lot older than expected,” the King nodded his head.

            ‘It’s only a four year difference…’ Baekhyun thought to himself.

            There was a bit of silence that filled in the awkward atmosphere that made it more awkward. Baekhyun rubbed his fingers against each other. He bit his lip, internally screaming prayers that KangYuna would come sooner.

            “So Baekhyun, how has your relationship with KangYuna gone so far?” The Queen questioned this time.

            He coughed a couple times in surprise. ‘I need to stop being so nervous! You’re making a fool out of yourself, idiot!’  “My relationship with the Princess… I-I guess is going to pretty strong. We really have a strong connection with each other.”

            The King hummed. “Where are your parents? Are you still living with them in that home with the glass room?”

            “I’m not sure, your majesty. They left six years ago, but I was left with a pack of my own,” Baekhyun said. He then furrowed his eyebrows together. “How did you know about the glass room?”

            The King laughed again. “We built that home for you.”

            “We were pretty against the fact your parents were housing wolves like you, but we agreed as long as you are trained to control your powers and that you stay hidden, we would provide you homes. Your parents are good people,” the Queen spoke. “I give them my full respect that they were willing to risk a lot to help you boys understand who you are and meant to be.”

            “Plus who else would provide you homes all over the kingdom and in China too?” The King quirked an eyebrow. “Even with being against you guys, there might be something greater you boys hold.”

            “Thank you,” Baekhyun put his head down. “I’m greatly appreciative for your gratefulness and watching over us.”

            “Do you mind showing us your powers?”

            Baekhyun’s head shot up. “My-my powers? You want to see them?”

            “Yes, I wouldn’t ask if didn’t,” the Queen smiled.

            “You’re not afraid?”

The Queen chuckled and shook her head. “We out our full trust in your parents that they have trained you well and I’m sure with your age, you have learnt to control them, right?” Baekhyun nodded. “See? And Dr. Kang has mentioned that you don’t have a very harmful one.”

“I’m not too sure… but okay,” Baekhyun lifted up a shaky hand and a bright light had shown through. It grew brighter as a certain person walked into the room.

            “You’re not being too harsh on my boyfriend are you?” Baekhyun turned around and left out a smile of relief as KangYuna walked over and sat next to Baekhyun.

            “You think the King is being harsh on your mate?” King rolled his eyes and scoffed. “Don’t worry, we just asked him the essentials.”

            “How come you never said anything about who you are? Who I am?” KangYuna gripped her night gown until her knuckles turned white. Baekhyun noticed and laced his hand in with hers.

            “It’s hard to explain, honey,” the Queen looked to her husband. “We knew that you wouldn’t be able to change and your cousins as well so that we decided it was best that you guys didn’t know. We have a small percentage as well, just a little more than you. Your father is able to change easily but some days, he can’t change while I have the hardest time changing. It’s so painful for me. Normally, the transformation is fast and easy and it’s just like magic. For me, it’s slow and I can feel every single hair and claw breaking through my skin and it’s just full of immense pain. So we had really no choice in not showing you when we couldn’t.”

            “We just didn’t want you to try too hard or be upset when you couldn’t change too,” the King added. “There’s just too small percentage in you that you could say that you’re mostly human.”

            “But I did change!” KangYuna exclaimed.

            “You what? You changed?” The Queen’s mouth fell open.

            “It was a defense change. We were fighting and then… It happened so fast. I was shocked myself,” Baekhyun said. “It took us six hours to figure out how to change her back and that was also to fight again and have her stop us.”

            “But even when I changed, I just want to be me. Sure it’s cool in all to be a four-legged creature, but I think I’d rather remain as Princess KangYuna in human form.”

            “That’s wonder to hear,” the Queen put a hand to her heart. “I’m sorry, we didn’t tell you. We were just scared and didn’t want to dishearten you.”

            “I understand. Now I have a lot of catching up on our family history,” KangYuna laughed.           

            “So back to my interrogation,” the King folded his hands in front of him and looked to Baekhyun. “What are your plans with my daughter? As it seems you two are a definite and really like each other.”

            “Um… well, I’m not exactly sure, your majesty. This is all very new to me and a bit overwhelming due to her being royalty,” Baekhyun replied, honestly. “All I want to do is be beside KangYuna.”

            “Are you asking for guidance?” He questioned.

            “Well, I-“

            “I can be some guidance and help out! No problem,” he waved his hand.

            “No, dad, don’t be too embarrassing, please,” KangYuna covered her face with her hands. “I think it’s best if you probably give him an idea or tell him what you would like for him to do.”

            “Ah, so still some guidance,” he nodded his head.

            “Kyuhyun, I think I can help him out since I’m experienced,” the Queen put her hands on the King’s. “I can very much relate to you since I was married into the family.”

            “Oh, that’s right,” KangYuna held Baekhyun’s arm. “Mom struggled a little to even date Dad.”

            “I was very welcomed in the family because I was also a wolf and yet like I said, it was very difficult to change. I also come from a good, well off family which my mother –in-law approved of. Overall, she liked that I’m a good-hearted. Um, let’s see, I believe the King began to court me and when he introduced me to the King and Queen back then, they took me in and I started training to be a Princess-to-be–made-Queen.”

            “So does that mean Baekhyun gets to stay in the palace?” KangYuna’s face light up.

            “That’s how I had to do it. My home was too far to keep going back and forth,” the Queen replied. “And since we were mates there was no way in stopping the King to come to search for me and I’m sure when royalty comes to court you, your family will nonstop come praising you and get excited to become royals as well.”

            “Isn’t it exciting?” KangYuna turned to Baekhyun.

            He smiled. “It does, but.”

            “But?” KangYuna’s smile faded.

            “The EXO guys… my pack… I can’t just leave them. I know they can defend themselves and Suho has everything under control, but I can’t part from them for too long. Everything works when we are together as one.”

            “Oh, that’s right. The pack is an amazing group of guys. They are truly good people and they wouldn’t harm anyone,” KangYuna looked at her parents would sad eyes. “You called them monsters before… but even if ask Jaehyun or, maybe, Dr. Kang, they would tell you that they did no harm at all. Jaehyun and Chanyeol got into a fight but Chanyeol never used his powers in the fight.”

            “Decisions have to be made,” the King said. “And you can’t be out of the palace for long. You have to be here to help run your kingdom.”

            “I know,” KangYuna put her head down.

            “I think it’s best if you both head to bed,” the Queen suggested. “It’s getting quite late. Joy!”

            “Yes, your majesty?” Joy, the servant, bowed as she entered the room.

            “Can you lead Baekhyun to his room and set him up for the night,” the Queen ordered.

            “Yes, your majesty.”

            “Please be on your way,” the Queen used her hands to indicate that they should scurry off to their rooms.

            As they left room, Joy lead the two to Baekhyun’s that was toward KangYuna’s.

            Baekhyun leaned down to whisper to KangYuna. “Do we really have to sleep in separate rooms?”

            “Baekhyun,” KangYuna hit his arm. “If you don’t want to cause trouble with my parents, then yes.”

            Baekhyun pouted. “Aw, don’t be such a sad puppy, Baek.”

            “Joy?” KangYuna called out to the servant.

            “Yes Princess?”

            “Where’s Baekhyun’s room? I would like to take him there myself.”

            “His room is the one right next to yours,” she answered and quickly left.

            “See? Not too far,” KangYuna rolled her eyes.

            “Not bad, not bad,” Baekhyun nodded his head. “But still not close enough.”

            “Are you usually this clingy?”

            “It’s not me! It is Madam Moon up there,” Baekhyun attempted to defend himself but failed.

            “I can see right through you, boy. You want to be next to me.”

            “Fine, fine,” Baekhyun laughed and wrapped an arm around KangYuna’s waist.

            “This is our stop for the night,” KangYuna said as they stopped in front of her room door.

            “I guess so…” Baekhyun looked down at the floor. “Can’t I just sneak in later?”

            “Baek, no,” she giggled. “Prove to my father that you some self-control.”

            “You’re right,” he sighed. “Goodnight my Princess.”

            “Goodnight my soon-to-be Prince,” KangYuna stood on her toes and gently kissed Baekhyun on the lips, who returned the kiss.

 

            “I’m going over there,” Baekhyun nodded to himself and hopped off the bed and quickly to the door. He quietly opened it to see find it blocked by someone.

            “Going somewhere?” Jaehyun had his arms folded as he smirked.

            “Um, I was actually just going back inside,” Baekhyun slipped back inside his room and back onto the bed.

 

            “Maybe I should go over there and check up on him. Poor boy must be lonely and scared being in an environment,” KangYuna whispered quietly. She got off her bed and to the door. She opened it to find hers blocked as well.

            “You’re not asleep yet, Princess? Going somewhere?” Mark blinked a couple times and pulled a similar face as Jaehyun.

            “Back inside my room I go,” she slowly closed to door and sighed.