005

2 Masks, 1 Kiss

            "There is no ing way! You are a really big jokester, aren't you?" Baekhyun yelled at Sehun. He paced back and forth in the mansion living room. The other boys sat around on the different couches staring at their panicked friend.

“I’m in no place to joke around,” Sehun replied. “Especially not like this. I know what I heard and it was definitely her.”

            "Baekhyun, just calm down for a moment and let’s talk it out," Suho placed a hand on his friend's shoulder.

            "I can't," Baekhyun gritted his teeth. "You can't help me either."

            "Tell us what's wrong and, maybe, we can," Suho said. He was worried for his friend, his brother. Baekhyun is usually a happy goof-ball, especially, after his late night runs with Sehun or Chanyeol, but now he's was very agitated and out of place.

            "I kissed Princess KangYuna!"

            Everyone in the room gasped. "Wait, you mean the Princess KangYuna like Princess of the Daehan Kingdom?"

            "That's the one," Sehun snapped his fingers at Chen, whose mouth hung open.

            "You kissed her? You're the jerk who stole the kiss from the Princess?" Chanyeol stood up from his chair to face the male.

            "Actually, I didn't kiss her," Baekhyun ran his fingers through his long, tousled hair. "She kissed me." He giggled and touched his lips.

            "There's the Baekhyun we love seeing," Suho smiled and patted Baekhyun's back.

            "But the weird thing is that I wanted to kiss her first," Baekhyun spoke, softly. “I was ready to just dive right in.”

            "That right there is when you know," Suho said.

            "How can you tell? Maybe she was just hot," Chen questioned and rolled his eyes. "You always got to make everything sound so dramatic. No one can resist how pretty KangYuna is. She’s smart too so that’s pretty y!"

            "That's just how it works. Why do you think Baekhyun went to the ball in the first place?"

            "Because it's at the palace and everyone goes to the ball," D.O responded.

            "And how many balls at the palace have you been to?" Suho crossed his arms.

            "None..." D.O sunk down into his seat.

            "Yeah, wait, why did you go to the palace and not tell any of us?" Lay asked Baekhyun. “The ball sounds fun.”

“Yeah thanks for the invite,” Kai pouted and wiggled into the couch cushion.

            "Um... I'm not sure. I just felt like I needed to go," Baekhyun answered. "It was like it was pulling me to go, which is weird because you know I hate large crowds."

            Suho hummed. "See? When you went, you felt enlighten and when the kiss happened, you got a warm fuzzy feeling, right?"

            Baekhyun nodded. "That’s exactly what parents told us."

            "But this still means trouble," Baekhyun found a spot on the couch in between Chen and Kai.

            "Dude, you- I mean- the Princess kissed you," Sehun clapped his hands together in awe. "She totally has the hots for you! How is that trouble?"

            "Getting in royalty business is real risky, especially since she, her mother, and her FATHER rule an entire kingdom and, possibly, the Southern Kingdom as well. If there weren't already a ruler for them. That's how powerful they are! They can rule a whole two kingdoms!" Kai pointed out with his arms spread out.

            What Kai said was very much very true. KangYuna and her parents were very powerful people, even more powerful than her Grandparents and some ancestors, who assisted in founding the lands of the kingdom.

            The Cho family have been the greatest rulers that Daehan ever had and the only rulers they ever had as a matter of fact. The Cho line dates very far back to near the beginnings of the development of the country. The Cho family’s political intelligence as a whole family and their lawful ways have gotten to this very point where the bloodline will continue on and on. Unlike the Southern Kingdom where their laws and political standards differ than the Northern side. They change rulers every ten years and so many things keep changing down there that it's hard to keep up so the two Kingdoms don't even bother to have their Royal meetings anymore.

            "It's not that," Baekhyun pressed his lips in a firm line.

            "Then what is it?" D.O raised his eyebrow. “What is more unsettling than having to get the approval of the King to date his daughter?”

            "She can't figure out who we are."

            Silence filled the room. "He's right, this won't go well if the Royals figure out," Suho said, pacing across the room.

            "Does this mean we have to move again?" Sehun questioned anxiously.

            "No, it doesn't," Suho said to comfort Sehun. “And it’s kind of too late to stop here if Baekhyun is already this far.”

“Ha! Barely anywhere,” Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

“Oh, on the contrary, Baek. At this point, it’s pretty far since you met and you’ve kissed,” Suho laughed.

            "On the other hand, she’ll just never know! Easy plan," Chanyeol clapped his large hands together.

            "Idiot, she will have to know when they get married," Lay spoke. “Not that easy of a plan.”

            "Who said we were thinking of marriage?" Baekhyun stood up. Chen and Kai brought him back down to the couch. “Dating hasn’t even been a thought yet and I’m pretty sure that it is the same for the Princess.”

            "What has been done needs to be done," Xiumin said. "Plus if you want someone to blame, blame the Princess for she has put this fate on you guys."

            “It’s not her fault. It’s mine.”

            "It’s neither. Fate is just playing its game on you. The plan is to play the game as well. The next move is to figure out how to get you guys together again," Suho placed a finger to his lips and tapped it in steady rhythm.

            "She isn't allowed out of the palace by herself. I heard her that night talking with her Head Palace Guard," Sehun pointed out. "I kind of dislike him, but whatever."

            "How can you dislike someone you haven't met yet?" Baekhyun questioned Sehun with a confused look.

            "Hey, you said almost said the same thing last time we were in town," Chanyeol pointed a finger at Baekhyun. Baekhyun leaned forward and pretended to bite his finger and Chanyeol quickly shot his hand back.

            "How can you kiss and fall in love with someone you haven't exactly met yet?" Sehun retorted.

            Baekhyun rolled his eyes for the nth time that day and leaned his head back. 'Why is love so difficult?'

            "Maybe, tomorrow you'll see her," Xiumin wiggled his eyebrows.

            "That's kind of random. Tomorrow?" Chanyeol side-eyed Xiumin.

*****

            "Princess!" The two turned around hearing the man's loud voice.

            "Yes Doyoung?"

            "Guard Kim Doyoung," he stood at attention to the Princess. "I have come to deliver you a letter."

            "A letter for me?" Doyoung handed KangYuna a black letter stamped with a silver stamp of a dog print. "Thank you." Doyoung left and KangYuna rubbed her finger against the stamp.

            "We should read it together," Jaehyun suggested.

            "I want to read it in private if you don’t mind," KangYuna walked in her room and closed the door behind her, closing it on Jaehyun as well. KangYuna gently peeled back the opening, revealing the cream paper inside.

            Look out your window at the 24th hour and when you see me, come find me in the clearing of the forest. I hope you still remember me and I hope I can pay you for my loss of the bet.

- BBH

            "Baekhyun?" KangYuna smiled and folded the paper up and hid it in a drawer underneath her mirror. “Oh no, he figured out who I am…” KangYuna coughed from a tickle in , but she shrugged it off. “I hope he doesn’t think too differently about me now.”

            KangYuna waited around as time ticked by slowly. Finally when the 24th hour came, she stood by her open window waiting for him to show. Minutes passed and nothing happened.

            "Did he lie to me?" KangYuna scoffed. "How stupid can I be to fall for his tricks?"

            Suddenly, a bright flash caught her attention from down below. It flickered as if saying hello very excitedly. "That was you? Did he know who I was since the night of the ball?" She headed out toward the West Entrance of the palace.

            "Princess, what are you doing up so late?" the palace doctor stopped her in her tracks.

            "Nothing much," she replied.

            "Why are you heading outside?" She questioned further.

            "Can you not ask me so many questions?" KangYuna stomped her foot as she was impatient to go out and see Baekhyun.

            "I’m sorry, Princess," she bowed.

            "No, I'm sorry. I have to meet with someone and if you can cover for me that would be a great and that’s a royal order from the princess," she added the last part just to ensure that her doctor wouldn't rat her out to Jaehyun. KangYuna is aware that he comes in after she sleeps to check on her as his duty.

            "Princess, have a little faith in me, yeah? But as a royal order, I swear on my life to not tell Jaehyun of your outing," she smiled knowing exactly that everything of the princess whereabouts is Jaehyun's business.

            KangYuna walked quickly to the doors and before leaving, she faced the two guards at their posts. "If you two think about contacting Jaehyun, I swear on my life that you will never see the living day light again."

            "Yes, Princess," they said in-sync as KangYuna slipped pass the door and into the dark night.

            The only light source KangYuna had was the moon and yet, that still didn’t hold any leverage with the thick treetops. The light flickered once more in the distance. She slowly began following the light as a guide until she came to the clearing and there stood Baekhyun. He wasn't dressed like he was at the ball, but in trousers and a shirt fit for the summer night weather. His mask was torn away from his face as well, which revealed more of his milky, clear skin and his deep puppy brown eyes. He indeed is a very handsome young guy and KangYuna couldn’t help but stare.

            "Good evening, your majesty," Baekhyun spoke softly and bowed.

            KangYuna shook herself awake from daze and frantically waved her hands. "Oh, there's no need for that..."

            "I’m just not used to meet royalty like this Princess. I just want to say sorry for my rash decisions at the ball. I didn’t-"

            "No, no it was all me. I kissed you first," KangYuna paused for a moment to collect herself after admitting to her sin.

            Baekhyun couldn't help, but chuckle a little at the awkwardness that filled the summer air. He stopped, almost forgetting that there was royalty standing in front of him. “God… You’re more beautiful in person and face to face.”

            KangYuna blushed and put back a strand of hair behind her ear. Baekhyun took a small step toward KangYuna, leaning down just inches away from her face. “Is this okay, Princess?”

            KangYuna gulped then slowly nodded and Baekhyun pressed himself into her; molding his lips into hers. Baekhyun’s heart was beating loudly and so loud that he thought he could hear it. However, KangYuna gently pushed Baekhyun back.

            “I’m sorry, I-”

            “No, it’s my fault for pushing it,” Baekhyun placed his hands into his warm pockets even though, they were already sweaty enough.

            “I mean I feel like we should at least start out by getting to know each other first as much as I would like to kiss you again, it would be best to start out slow.”

            “I think that’s sounds good,” Baekhyun nodded his head.

            KangYuna stuck her hand out to Baekhyun. “Hi, I’m KangYuna. Cho KangYuna.”

            “Hi, I’m Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun.”

            The two made a promise to meet each other again in the clearing. This was the start to their relationship with each other.

 

            "Have you not checked your closet Princess?" Seulgi, the Royal Doctor, questioned KangYuna.

            "What do you mean?"

            "There's a hidden door that leads to the outside," Seulgi answered. She headed toward the closet with KangYuna following behind. She walked into the section where KangYuna's party dresses hung. She swept through a couple of them before pulling them apart to reveal a small door behind them. KangYuna doesn't go/host much parties besides her recent ball, but she sure did have a lot of large dresses; a perfect place to hide such a door.

            "Wow, how convenient,” she rolled her eyes. “So what you are telling me is that I had a door like this the whole time in my room? Dr. Kang, this is my 10th time meeting with Baekhyun and you tell me this now?"

            Seulgi nodded her head. "Well, I knew about there being an entrance to your room since it is part of the round tower of the Palace, but I didn’t know where until I’ve been stuck in your room for an hour every night. Anyway, Jaehyun knows about this door, but he also knows that you don't know about it so it's not guarded."

            "Seulgi, I have never loved you so much before," KangYuna hugged her doctor.

            "Just be safe, okay?"

            "I always come back safe, don’t I?”

            KangYuna quickly slipped into her shoes and a black cloak before bending down to go through the door and down the spiraling staircase to the outside world. Once outside, she did a secure check around to ensure there were no guards out and none were to be seen.

            “Baekhyun?” KangYuna called out in the darkness following the light that Baekhyun always provided for them.

            “I’m here,” he held up the same lantern that casted the white light. It illuminated his skin and it was like he was an angel with the spotlight shining down on him.

            KangYuna smiled and hugged Baekhyun; he was always so warm, which she loved. If she could, she would stay all day to cuddle in the warmth he gave off, however, they swore to keep with it to a close friendship due to circumstances; royal circumstances for now.

            They continued as tradition to find a comfy spot in the clearing and talk all night as they looked at the clear night sky together. They talked about everything together mainly, about life and the major differences between them.

            Baekhyun leaned back against a tree and closed his eyes. “Ah, I could get used to this.”

            “Used to what?” KangYuna crossed her legs, a position seen as very juvenile and un-princess like and yet, with Baekhyun, she felt normal.

            “You.” He slowly opened his eyes. “Coming out like this and talking to you. It’s a good feeling.”

            “I can say the same. You make me feel like I’m a part of this place and not like a princess who is someone who is highly respected and not trapped inside my palace day and night,” KangYuna dragged a finger through the dirt underneath her. “It’s hard to make friends with people when they’re usually being too fake with their kindness because I’m royalty.”

            “Hm, I understand. No one really likes my family,” Baekhyun admitted. “I’m sorry, it’s too early in our relationship to mention things like this…”

            “It’s okay. It’s the type of relationship I want; to know a person in and out and to know what’s bothering them so I can understand them.”

            Baekhyun smiled back her. “I promise I’ll tell you some other time, I believe it’s too early.”

            “Okay.”

            Months have passed and the two still continued to secretly meet each other at the 24th hour. They found out that they had a lot in common, although, living different lives. Every night, KangYuna waited by her window and watched for that white light. The moment the small light flickered in the distance she went off running. His light seemed almost magical that it mesmerized her and made her keep coming back. During this time, Baekhyun had acknowledged that KangYuna wasn’t a princess. She was just Cho KangYuna; the girl he was falling for hard.

            “If you don’t mind me asking, but where do you live? I kind of feel bad if you live somewhere far to come see me and you are travelling by yourself so…” KangYuna asked as they sat side by side and scanned the sky for constellations. “Oh, the big dipper is right there!”

            “I live in a house deep in the forest with my family,” Baekhyun answered her question. “It’s hard to explain exactly where, but I’m sure my eldest brother wouldn’t like me to tell you these details.”

            “I understand. That sounds a bit far though…” KangYuna pouted.

“Don’t worry too much about me, KangYuna,” Baekhyun grabbed her hand and squeezed it gently. “If it was too much of a burden to come out here, I wouldn’t come out in the first place.”

“I guess you have a point there, Baekhyun,” she gave him a small smile.

            “If you don’t mind me asking either, but how do- you know- escape the palace to come here?”

            “In the beginning, I would use the west entrance, but now I just leave through my closet,” she replied.

            “What?”

            “I order my royal doctor to cover for me from Changkyun, my royal guard, and I escape through the West Entrance since it’s the easiest way out to the forest and as a royal command, I told the guards guarding the door to not say a word. However, my doctor discovered a hidden door in my closet that leads to the outside.”

            “How does that work?”

            “Well, my room is in the rounded tower on the side of the palace so there’s an outlet right there. You can’t really see the door on the outside since it blends in with the bricks. Changkyun knows about the door but doesn’t keep it guarded because he thinks I don’t know about it and no one else knows about it so it’s an easy escape!”

            “What’s your relationship with Jaehyun?”

            “Jaehyun? Well, we’ve known each other for quite some time. He’s the son of my parents’ royal guard and he grew up in the palace and went to military school for training to become a guard as well. We hung out and talked a lot during the time he was there and not training. He met some friends at school, became top of the class, and they were recruited to become guards for me soon after.”

            “How did he become your Head Palace Guard?”

            “Well, to be royal guards at the palace, they had to go through more training and tests and he passed all of them and maybe because we were close friends too. My parents may have wanted someone I was comfortable with. It’s quite funny though because he’s the 2nd youngest out of his friends and he’s leader of them. I don’t know, Jaehyun is just different.”

            “You seem to be close. You know because you’re always around each other.”

            “Ha-ha, don’t tell me you’re jealous?”

            “No…”

            “Yeah, we are pretty close… but I’m not sure…”

            “What do you mean?”

            “It’s just… Jaehyun and the other guards of NCT are like my only real friends who are ‘royalty’ and they always make me happy. Sometimes I feel like they aren’t my guards and yet, they get annoying because they are my guards.”

******

            The sun rose high in the warm late autumn day and the Princess was in another council meeting.

            "I want to do another Ball," KangYuna spoke at the council meeting. The members all looked at each other with wary looks once again. “It’s not like anything bad happened. The masquerade ball was very successful.”

            "Princess, there's much to do for another ball and I think we need a little more time than a week for preparation," Joohyun responded to the Princess' request.

            "Very well," KangYuna folded her hands in her lap under the table. "A winter ball shall be on the night of Christmas eve so that gives us three weeks to prepare for that day."

            "Sounds perfect, Princess," Joohyun wrote down the information into her notebook.

            "I believe that's all I really wanted to say today," KangYuna stood which had all the members of the councils to scramble out of their chairs to stand before the Princess since she suddenly decided to close the meeting. "You are dismissed." As the KangYuna left the room, everyone formally bowed down.

            "Another Ball? Why so sudden?" Jaehyun asked as KangYuna headed back to her room.

            "Because I want to see him," KangYuna simply stated.

            "Are you really fussing about that boy you met at the masquerade ball again? You never know if he's actually going to show up," Jaehyun said. “Don’t get your hopes up too much Princess.”

            KangYuna smiled, knowing that Jaehyun knows nothing about her and Baekhyun. "He will. I just know it.”

 

 

++++++++++

SPICING IT UP!!!