Eight: Curiosity kills the cat

Almost Perfect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joy tossed and her bed, feeling restless and unable to sleep though her body felt physically drained. She propped herself up to a sitting position and sighed as she mulled over the events during dinner.

It was bad enough that Sungjae and herself were not talking, but now Changsub was silently displeased at both of them for whatever it was that he thought happened between them.

She gave another long sigh. What a mess. And it was not even her fault. It was not her who was peeking at other people's bra! She felt parched just by thinking about it. How embarrassing to have Sungjae looking (and holding!) her undies. And what was up with that guy?! Who gave him permission to go inside people's room and rummage around other people's clothes? And why was he doing their laundry anyway? Mrs. Lee always did their laundry. Joy huffed to herself.

Wide awake now, she decided to pour herself a glass of water, better yet, a glass of wine. Maybe the alcohol will help her sleep.

She halted in the middle of her way to the kitchen. What were the odds. It seemed Sungjae was also having trouble sleeping and was now sitting by himself at the kitchen counter, a half-full glass of wine in front of him.

Joy hesitated for a while, wondering whether she should go back to her room and resume sulking or brave her way into the kitchen. Nobody could accuse her of being a coward, she thought as she squared her shoulders and walk purposefully into the kitchen, clearing loudly as she did.

Sungjae startled at the noise she made and turned around to watch her walk with her nose up in the air, grabbing a tall glass and pouring a generous amount of wine for herself before coming to a stop at the other side of the counter. Wordlessly, she sat down on the bar stool and took a sip, keeping her eyes on the wall behind him.

She heard him sigh deeply. "Alright, alright." He started. "I'm sorry, okay. I'm sorry for going in your room and looking at your b- stuff." He sniffed. "But I didn't mean to do anything weird. I just wanted to do laundry." She watched him as he swirled the content of his glass.

"But why did you..." her hands flailed as words failed her. She watched him pinked visibly as he understood her meaning. 

He kept his eyes trained on the swirling liquid. "I was.." He looked pained as he tried to get his words out. "I was.." he took a deep

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter