Four: Lunch with the queen

Almost Perfect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He massaged his aching biceps when they finally got into his car. "Thank God it's over." He breathed before turning towards her with warning eyes. "Please tell me it's over. I'm telling you, if I hear another word that starts with 've' and ends with 'ble', I'm going to get very mad." Joy watched as Sungjae mumbled words that remotely sounded like "Why does she think she needs that much vegetables, only God knows" and "Is she a goat? So much vegetables and only one pack of meat".

"Well.. we could go and get some ve..." She tried to smother her giggle as she witnessed his eyes shooting glares at her, "al..! I said veal! For lunch! I know a place where they cook the nicest veal and pasta you have ever known."

To her amusement, he let out a relieved sigh at her words. "Now, you're talking." He shook his head at her. "Now I know why Changsub avoids you. You buy as if you're not going to leave the house for six months!" He bent his elbows gingerly. "I think I'm going to develop real biceps if I go with you one more time."

"And that's a bad thing because....?" She let her words trailed, her eyebrows raised obnoxiously.

"I'd rather develop my muscles at a good old-fashioned gym, thank you very much." He answered with an annoying smirk.

"Hmmpphhhh." She crossed her arms at his quip, a little stung now. He must have noticed her mood turning sour because he then patted her on the head.

"I'm joking, of course." He sent her an apologetic smile. "I'll go with you again," he started to say, "in the next six months when all these supplies are finally finished." He laughed as she hit him on the arm. "Watch the arm, my very sore, overworked arm." He laughed again as she narrowed her eyes at him. He glanced at the backseat, at the overflowing groceries that could not fit inside his trunk. "You know, if I promise to go with you, say, every month, you don't need to buy this much every time."

"I only bought this much because you are here. I wouldn't be able to carry all if I'm on my own." She sighed. Then she saw his frown as he stared at her.

"What do you mean?" His frown grew deeper as she watched. She shrugged. He stared at her again until she felt slightly uncomfortable. "Changsub never helped you, did he? Don't tell me you've carried this much before on your own!"

"Don't worry, sometimes I ordered online." She tried to soothe him. She knew from experience once Sungjae gets too agitated, it would be hard to calm him down. Once, he was so mad at Changsub (about something involving a girl, she could not really remember), he swore profusely and punched him solid in the face. Both of them fashioned a black eye each at the end of the day. Boys, she thought, only know how to settle disputes with their fists.

"He is so irresponsible." Sungjae huffed.

"No worries. Now that you're here, I'll be in much better hands." She said quickly. She hoped her signature toothy grin would calm him down. She handed him a can of soda before sipping hers.

"Hmm.." Was his only answer before taking a big gulp of his own.

***

"You are right, this place is awesome." Joy watched as he savoured the seafood pasta he ordered. It was creamy, but spicy - just the right touch of spiciness that she knew he loved.

"Right?" She nodded towards the veal on her plate. "Have some. I promise you, this will be the best veal you've ever tasted. In a few days, you'll be begging me to bring you here again."

He took a bite and marvelled at the heavenly taste of tender meat in his mouth. "Wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter