Sixteen: A taste of forbidden fruit

Almost Perfect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I see you two are talking again." Changsub observed while sipping his wine. Joy and Sungjae looked at each other, careful to maintain the smiles on their lips. Joy shrugged at her brother. "The past few days had been weird. You two used to be so chummy together but suddenly I felt like there's a cold war going on." He continued. "Anyway, I'm glad you've settled whatever it was that you've been fighting about because I was this close to locking both of you up in the closet to force you to kiss and make up."

Joy laughed on cue but her eyes were slightly panicked as she met Sungjae's. Deep in her gut she felt a gnawing guilt for keeping her brother in the dark.

After that night, Sungjae and Joy had slowly started their trysts. Their first date was a short lunch date the day after. Sungjae had began working in his father's company thus their usual long lunches was cut short to a mere 45 minutes. They were about to have their second date tonight but Changsub had unexpectedly cancelled his appointment for the night, and suggested for some "family" dinner time. Having Changsub during their supposed (secret) dinner date was not ideal but it was comfortable, Joy had thought. The past few weeks had been crazy, with their growing feelings and uncertainties, and though now, at the beginning of their relationship, everything was beautiful through their rose-colored glasses; she was secretly relieved to be given a reprieve, and a way to work back into the easy relationship that they had since the very beginning. Part of what she loved about Sungjae was that she had known him ever since she could remember and that he was comfortable. To be in relationship with him was new but familiar all the same.

"And hey man, what happened to Irene? No follow up?" Changsub's question brought her back to the present. She bit her lip as she saw Sungjae fidget uncomfortably in his seat.

"Nah man, I don't think it'll work out." He answered simply, hoping to keep the subject short.

"What a shame. She's such a babe. And your mom will love it if you'd clicked." Changsub shrugged. "Oh well, perhaps I'll make a run for it again. Maybe I'll get lucky this time." He grinned before moving on to a safer topic.

Joy raised her wineglass to her lips with intention to spy on her boyfriend (squeal!) but froze when her eyes met Sungjae's who was watching her over his own glass. She felt his hand then; opening hers palm up; lightly running a finger along the length of her palm, and then he was gone. He gave a quick wink before continuing to converse with Changsub as if he did not secretly flirt with her just a few seconds ago. Joy blinked and gulped down her wine to calm her racing heart. He would be the death of her, and she figured that she would need to break the news to Changsub, the sooner the better, if she still valued her life and sanity.

***

Sungjae leaned against the wall leading to the kitchen entrance as he observed Joy dancing around the kitchen, once again oblivious to the existence of others when she had her earphones plugged on. It was late afternoon and he was just back from work. Appare

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter