Thirteen: One moment is all it takes

Almost Perfect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joy rolled around on her bed, unwilling to get up even though her stomach had been rumbling for nearly 30 minutes or so. "Arrgghhh.." She let out a tiny frustrated scream as she tossed and turned. She hid her face under the palms of her hands as she remembered that night.

That night, when she was lying on top of his body. That night, when her face was only inches from his. And that night, when he strengthened his hold on her body.

She almost squealed at the memory. Was she imagining it? Did he really tightened his grip, or was it a figment of her imagination? And if he really did, what exactly did it meant? Was it just a spur of the moment? Or was there another reason? A reason that she was sure she would not delve into until she had any cause to.

Perhaps it was the liquor she drank the whole evening (even though she barely had a sip, considering she was too busy entertaining since the man of the hour disappeared into his room), that caused her to behave recklessly. Perhaps he had a few drinks too which was why he acted strange (though he was mostly confined in his room).

She groaned. All this thinking was giving her a headache. And it was not even noon yet. And she was starving. It had been this way since that incident. She had deliberately stayed in the whole day yesterday even though it was a Saturday, starving herself in her bedroom, only able to grab some leftover sandwich when he left with Changsub later in the day. All this just to avoid bumping into him although it had always been the norm for them to have brunch on weekends. The weekends that she usually cherish, now became a nightmare. She had endured yesterday, and now she needed to somehow survive this second day.

She was contemplating on calling for pizza delivery - something she could eat in the comfort (and safety) of her bedroom - when she heard a shuffling and clicking noise outside. She scrambled to her door, pressing her ear on it, trying to gather as much information on what was happening on the other side of the door.

He must have went out (for brunch perhaps). She sighed, part of her relieved now that she could freely get out of the room to cook something for herself but another part of her was feeling slightly disappointed. At what, she could not identify. Maybe, deep inside herself, she wanted something to happen (anything - he could fake amnesia for all she cared), just so she could free herself from this miserable state of uncertainty. With a deep sigh, she stepped out of her room to make herself something edible (and quick) to soothe her hunger.

***

She did not notice when he returned home shortly after he went out that afternoon. Sungjae knew she was avoiding him. The three of them were supposed to try a cafe just outside town yesterday for lunch, but she was nowhere to be seen. Changsub was irritable by the time they went for lunch (2 pm in the evening, and Sungjae knew how annoyed Changsub could be if he missed a meal), and Sungjae tried to steer him out of Joy's way, quickly suggesting for a guys' time out, just the two of them, since it had been a while that they spent time together without Joy.

Sungjae did not see Joy last night as well. She must have endless supply of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter