세븐틴: A Sudden Death

Behind the Scenes: Standby

세븐틴: A Sudden Death

 

          Getting everything ready was tough especially when there were plenty of them in a group. One by one, they went to a salon and got their hair and make-up done. After their make-up, they proceeded to their stylist to get dressed. Finally, they went to the studio for shooting. Few bands and solo artists would also perform including TWICE, BTS, GOT 7, AOA, GIRL’S DAY, MONSTAX and SEVENTEEN. Each of them were inside their respective waiting rooms. They did not have the time to roam around because they had to rehearse to assure that everything was polished. After GOT 7’s performance, Jackson strolled around the area and searched for SEVENTEEN’s waiting room to cheer them up.

 

Jackson:

(Opened the door.)

Fighting!

(He shouted.)

 

Hoshi:

Hyung!

 

          They were all shocked because of his sudden appearance matched with a very loud voice. Jackson cheered them up but most specially, Jeonghan. He did not do anything this time and left immediately after a little talk.

 

          The MC called Seventeen at the stage. They were all hyped up to give everyone a good performance as ever. The music started and their cool dancing were showcased. It was a remix and it would run a little longer than usual and they did it enthusiastically. Unfortunately, Jeonghan’s body failed him this time. He ran out of breathe and tried to keep up his movements with the music. His vision started to blur; moreover, he started to lose his focus that he hit The8 one time. Nevertheless, he kept on performing until the end. It was a relief that he did not faint while performing on stage. He pulled the closest man to him to lean on which is The 8.

 

The 8:

Hyung.

 

Jeonghan:

(Hardly spoke.)

Stay here.

(He rested his body on The 8’s and stayed quiet, catching his breath.)

 

The 8:

Want me to seat?

 

          Jeonghan just nodded as they sat on a stable big prop available. They were at the back stage with the other groups who were done performing. The8 called Mingyu who’s just right in front of them. Unfortunately it wasn’t easy to call someone in the midst of loud sound, while others couldn’t see what was happening because it was also dark. The8 held his hyung’s slender hand only to find out that it was so cold. He checked upon him and saw that he was sweating; in addition, he was really having a hard time breathing.

 

The 8:

(Shook his shoulders a bit to make sure that Jeonghan was still awake.)

Hyung, hyung. Don’t sleep yet.

(He became so nervous and started shouting over the other members.)

Mingyu! Coups hyung!

(He couldn’t think of anything good at the moment and decided to just call someone whoever on his sight to help them.)

 

Jeonghan:

Shhh…

(He whispered softly.)

Calm down, Minghao.

 

The 8:

(He was in a state of panic with his hands trembling.)

Hyung, I will carry you to our waiting room.

You’re so cold.

 

Jun:

Why were you shouting?

(He, who was just at the back with Joshua, heard someone calling them.)

 

The 8:

Hyung, call them! Please.

 

Jun:

Why? What’s happening?

 

The8:

This is really bad.

(His voice was shaking as he pronounced every word.)

 

Jun:

(Noticed that Jeonghan was in a worse condition.)

Mingyu! Coups hyung! Wonwoo!...

(He tried to call the names that he could think of. When no one was approaching them, he ran rapidly to them and excused them from the conversation with other groups.)

Hyung! (He called Seungcheol)

(He was in panic)

 

Mingyu:

Why?

(Startled on how Jun acted.)

 

Seungcheol:

What’s the matter?

 

Jun:

Jeonghan hyung is…

(Catching his breath as his heart beats fast; as a result, he couldn’t utter any words aside from the Jeonghan’s name. He felt fear and it was visible into his eyes.)

 

          On the other hand, The8 was using all his strength to lift the weak Jeonghan. He moved carefully just to make sure he won’t cause any accident.

 

The 8:

Hyung, can you stand? I’ll carry you on my back.

 

Jeonghan:

Yeah.

(He tried to nod using his remaining energy.)

 

The 8:

Okay.

Ready?

 

          He pulled Jeonghan up gently while The8 was exerting so much effort to carry him without the help of others. The poor angel couldn’t hold it any longer and collapsed completely. He accidentally pushed somebody from AOA who hit a pile of big props; as a result, the props came crashing down to their position. The8 did what he had to do to protect Jeonghan. The fairy became a hero when he shielded his own body to save the sleeping angel from the falling scaffolding even if it hit him at the back. He did not mind the pain and stayed at his position until someone came to rescue. Everyone who saw it moved quickly to save those who were hurt. It took time to stop those falling objects so the young thin man, The8, had to stay longer in his position. The rest of Seventeen members ran to save the two boys crushed by a pile of props. While removing the mountain of props, a few scaffolding was about to fall. Fortunately, Wonwoo, Seungcheol, and Vernon stopped it from dropping.

 

The8’s arms were trembling caused by the weight on his back. Slowly, his body felt the intensity of it and unconsciously dropping his body close to the unconscious young man. Nevertheless, he did not say any word. He stayed quiet until he was rescued because he trusted his groupmates.

 

Jun reached his hands to assist The8 to get up while Mingyu was in charge of carrying Jeonghan. It was obvious in The8 that he was scared, wiping his tears by his arms which worried the rest of them because they know that he was hit by a heavy metal right on his back. They were bothered by it so they checked his back and found a big red mark on his back.

 

Jun:

That must hurt a lot.

(He is worried about the young ones.)

You need to have a check-up.

 

The8:

(He was thinking way far from the others as he reminisced what just happened.)

It was my fault that we fell.

I am too weak to handle this situation.

(He continued crying.)

 

Seungkwan:

Hyung, it’s not your fault.

(He consoled his beloved hyung.)

 

          Seungcheol, on the other hand, checked Jeonghan and noticed that he has cold sweats. He was the one who asked the people to make way for them. Joshua helped him out.

 

Joshua:

(Made sure that everything’s okay.)

Mingyu-ah, can you carry him until we can get out? This may take time. Just let me know if you cannot handle it anymore.

 

Wonwoo:

Don’t worry hyung, I’m here.

(He was ready to substitute Mingyu.)

 

The team made sure that everybody was okay while Hoshi was trying to calm their frightened fairy. They had difficulty walking their way out of the dark, crowded, and narrow path. Seungcheol was screaming on the top of his lungs just to be heard. Jun and the others were doing the same. Dino was looking for a staff backstage so they could use their walkie talkie to inform others that they have an emergency. Unfortunately, they were all currently busy on the other performing groups. He went to the opposite side just to call someone to help them out.

 

Their leader was working so hard to get out from the crowd because he knew that they must not waste their time. He was sweating all over and he gathered all his strength to do what he had to do. He did not care if he loses his voice because all that mattered to him was to rescue their beloved angel.

 

          Seungcheol’s team managed to somehow control the crowd when the music suddenly ended.

 

Wonwoo:

Mingyu, faster!

 

          Jun and Wonwoo was on Mingyu’s both side to secure that they had enough space to run. As the music started to play again for the next performers, everything went slow. Mingyu is using all his energy. He began to pant because of the action that he needed to do plus the hot temperature inside the room. He just remembered that their angel might probably having a hard time to breathe because of their tight and layered clothing. He asked Wonwoo to loosen up Jeonghan’s clothes a little.

 

Mingyu:

Wonwoo, hyung!

(He called him with a loud voice; eventhough, Wonwoo was just beside him.)

Loosen up his clothes first.

 

Wonwoo:

Right! Right!

(He nodded badly.)

 

          Wonwoo ped his jacket and ed Jeonghan’s longsleeves when he noticed something. Jeonghan’s lips were pale. He was preparing to take out his jacket but as he touched the skin of Jeonghan, it felt so cold. Wonwoo’s eyes were melancholic. He touched his head to his hands but what he felt was plain cold. He got terribly scared and gazed on Mingyu’s eyes.

 

Mingyu:

Why?

 

Wonwoo:

(Gupled while his blood was rushing fast in and out of his heart.)

He- he’s cold.

(gave a serious frightened face to his tall donsaeng.)

 

          It gave chills to Mingyu whose body was getting tired and breathless.

 

Mingyu:

What?

 

          His eyes widened. His heart felt so much pain as he was troubled that something really bad happened to their angel. He did not waste any time and checked Jeonghan’s breathing.

 

          Meanwhile Dino managed to ask a staff that they were having an emergency and they needed an ambulance. The staff contacted the other staffs from the outside and he was instructed to go to them for assistance. Dino ran speedily with Vernon to ask the staffs to assist them.

 

          Back on the situation between the runners, Mingyu lifted Jeonghan while putting his head down to check Jeonghan’s breathing. Due to the chaotic atmosphere, he was not sure but he did not feel any air coming out from Jeonghan’s nose nor mouth. That was when he felt really nervous. His breath was getting heavier. Time seemed running so fast but he felt like he was frozen like a statue.

 

Woozi:

What do you think you are doing? There’s no time for that!

(He got a little pissed because people were not too cooperative in their current situation.)

 

Mingyu:

Hyu- hyung.

(He started to cry showing a blank emotion through his face. He was so confused. The tall slender figure was stucked in his position, slightly loosing himself thinking that Jeonghan might not wake up anymore.)

Hyung…

(Gulped.)

He’s not…

(He can’t hold back his tears. It kept on falling.)

He’s not breathing.

(He felt that his voice suddenly became inaudible. He felt so helpless.)

 

          Joshua seemed to grasp the cold air behind him. He took a glimpse at them to see what was happening. They seemed so surprised and frozen.

 

Joshua:

What? What happened?

(His eyes has gotten bigger as he asked about the situation.)

 

          As soon as Wonwoo read the lips of Mingyu. He acted fast to check on their beloved member. He grabbed Jeonghan’s cold, lifeless hand to observe his pulse without knowing that his hands were shaking. He pressed it but all he could hear was the loud beat of his heart. He couldn’t concentrated because fear engulfed him.

 

Wonwoo:

No… no!

(His cold gaze was focused on Jeonghan while his tears came rushing down on his face.)

Hyung. Hyung! Wake up!

(He almost gave up.)

Hyung!

(Couldn’t take his hands off from Jeonghan’s cold hands.)

Please…. Please…

(Pleaded him to stay alive.)

 

The8:

(Shivering in fear.)

Hyung, please.

(He clasps his hands wishing that it was not true.)

 

          The puzzled gentleman, Joshua, read what was happening and assumed that it got a lot worse than earlier. Then, he called Seungcheol.

 

S.Coups:

(As soon as he got his eyes fixed on his dongsaeng, he knew something terrible occurred.)

Hey! What’s wrong?

(Rushing back to them.)

 

Mingyu:

(He shouted so loud as if he was pleading to the heavens.)

He’s not breathing!

(His face was filled with sorrow as he cried loudly.)

 

Seungkwan:

Don’t say such things, hyung!

(He immediately cried and his knees felt so weak.)

Don’t be like that!

(He hit Mingyu to take back his word.)

Say it’s not true! Hyung!

 

 

          The8, Hoshi, and the others who were at the back heard Mingyu’s voice loud and clear. Even Vernon and Dino who just came back from their task saw and heared that terrible news.

 

          Seungcheol rushed to them. By instinct, he came near to Jeonghan’s face to observe his breathing like what Mingyu did. He frowned as he became impatient that he couldn’t feel anything. He tapped the sleeping beauty who cannot open his eyes for them.

 

Seungcheol:

(He breathed heavily.)

No… No…

(He felt his tears from the side of his eyes.)

Jeonghan-ah…

(His breath was so tight and his chest felt so heavy.)

Jeonghan!

 

 

          Joshua was staring blankly at them.

 

Joshua:

No…

 

          Seungcheol was filled with anger that he was so useless at the time when Jeonghan needed him the most. His heart hurts so much as he was powerless over the situation. He ran and shouted like a mad man just to plead for their way out.

 

Seungcheol:

Please make way! Make way!

(His eyes turned red while his body was weak.)

 

Meaniwhile, the other groups who were resting in their waiting rooms seemed to hear an unusual sound and became curious. They went out and found a chaotic scenery at the back of wall.

 

Jackson:

What’s happening?

 

Staff:

Someone fainted.

 

Jackson:

Who?

 

Staff:

I heard someone from Seventeen.

 

Jackson:

(He was sure that it was Jeonghan and scanned the place to where they were headed.)

Excuse me… excuse me!

(He was delayed by an enormous crowd.)

 

          Back to the members, DK who was always cheerful froze like he’s experiencing a bad dream. Even Vernon couldn’t shut his eyes because he was totally out of his mind while Joshua breathed deeply to calm himself down but fear was already breaking him apart.

 

Joshua:

Yah!

(Tapping his friend’s face.)

Please… please.

 

          The commotion was slowly seen from afar and Jackson learned that it was Seungcheol who was shouting and identified where they were. He rushed and help them to ask people to stand back. He and s helped them out so Mingyu could run fast to get out from the studio. As soon as they reached the outsidecoming from the dark and chaotic room, Mingyu’s knees fell weak.

 

          Jackson acted immediately and asked them what happened.

 

Jackson:

Is he okay?

 

Joshua:

(He almost felt like he’s going to break from the inside.)

He… he’s not breathing.

(Running out of breath.)

 

Jackson:

(He was surprised of what he heared and paused all of a sudden but he did not let fear conquer him and started thinking.)

Put him down.

 

S.Coups:

There’s no time for that!

(He pressed the elevator’s button several times and was becoming impatient. He was so worried; moreover, he did not notice that he was already crying. He walked back and forth biting his lips while shoving his hair backwards.)

 

Jackson:

Put him down! He needs CPR to survive.

Anyone who knows how to conduct a CPR?

(He prepared Jeonghan for the first aid.)

 

          Mingyu puts Jeonghan down gently and sobbed heavily. He didn’t know what to do while Jackson bravely checked him and confirmed that he was not breathing at all. Jackson once again asked them who was capable of doing a CPR.

 

Jackson:

Who knows how to do the CPR?

C’mon! Come to your senses!

(He slowly got agitated.)

He needs you the most this time.

 

Mingyu:

I… I can.

(He responded.)

 

Jackson:

Go ahead and I’m in charge of pumping his heart. Just blow slowly and don’t put too much pressure.

(He instructed him quickly.)

 

Mingyu:

I… I can’t. I’m scared.

 

Vernon & DK:

Hyung! Do it!

 

Jun:

Hurry, please.

 

S.Coups:

Hurry now!

(He angrily commanded him.)

 

Jackson:

If he doesn’t get a proper oxygen even if the ambulance came here as soon as possible we might lose him.

C’mon!

(Wiped Mingyu’s tears.)

Do it and be a man!

 

Mingyu calmed himself with the help of Joshua on his side.

 

Mingyu:

(He shook his head and hands to release the tension and got ready to perform the CPR.)

C’mon, Mingyu! You can do this.

(He inhaled and exhaled deeply.)

 

          He tilted Jeonghan’s head on the right position while Jackson and Joshua were on his body.

 

Jackson:

And go!

(He signalled their first move.)

 

          Mingyu pressed his lips to Jeonghan’s to perform a proper CPR. Jackson was the one who was instructing him to proceed. S.Coups went to check on them while the others couldn’t do anything but to watch and pray while waiting for the ambulance to come.

 

          The sound of a siren is getting closer.

 

Joshua:

I can hear the ambulance. Seungkwan, Vernon, and DK, go down and lead the medics here. Jun, Wonwoo! Prepare to carry him and Woozi! Tell our company of what happened and let his parents know about it.

(He instructed them carefully.)

 

          After few seconds of performing CPR, Jackson was getting tired of pumping the angel’s delicate heart while Mingyu began shaking because he couldn’t revive Jeonghan. His fear went back which made him fall apart little by little. Jackson suggested to change position since Mingyu still have his strength to do the pump properly. It was an intense moment for all of them and every second counts. It was like a nightmare for all of them. For the last time they changed again, and they finally revived Jeonghan. Finally, they retrieved back their angel from heaven.

 

Jackson:

Good job!

(He was sweating and breathless due to his anxiety.)

 

          The medics came rushing in. Wonwoo and Jun put him on the stretcher carefully. Mingyu’s knees failed him totally but it was a relief that the nightmare was over. Wonwoo helped him to get up.

 

          The medics put oxygen on Jeonghan because they were informed that he had difficulty in breathing and on the top of that he stopped breathing.

 

Medics:

You did a great job everyone! Two people may come.

 

S.Coups:

I will.

(Sadness was visible to his face.)

 

Medics:

(Examined Jeonghan and got amazed on how well they managed it.)

You’re all pretty good. If it weren’t for you, we might lose him right before we made it here.

(The doctor gave them a proud smile.)

 

Joshua:

Cheol! You go. Bring Mingyu with you. I’ll take care of the others.

 

Hoshi:

Please let Minghao come as well. He needed medication for his back.

 

          At that very moment, he felt that he was totally useless as a leader. He felt that it was his fault that something happened to him. The three rode the ambulance while the others went back home and waited for the result. Wishing everything would be fine.

 

          The doctors did some procedures on him. It turned out that Jeonghan was sick and needed a continuous medication. The Doctors were just waiting for his parents to come to interview them about the medical history of their son.

 

The doctor already confirmed Cheol and Mingyu that he was already safe; however, the angel was currently in a coma. Nevertheless, they assured them that he would wake up anytime soon. He just needed a proper rest for his body and brain. The doctors called their leader to discuss something with him, including the nature and the medication of his disease since he was also the one who would be taking care of him in their dorm. The doctor wasn’t so sure yet of his true condition since Jeonghan’s parents were not there to explain his medical history. The doctor just advised him the basics instead; that he should rest his body when he is exhausted. That advice was not only for Jeonghan but for everybody because this may also happen to them. The man in white also provided him a list of prohibited food and activities for a month. He also gave the prescription of his medicine and vitamins; though, the vitamins were meant for everyone.

 

          Seungcheol was obviously thinking deeply as he stepped out of the clinic. He walked in to Jeonghan’s room and sat beside him. He held his hand gently as he pressed it softly, quietly crying in the dark blaming himself because he couldn’t able to protect him.

 

Seungcheol:

Sorry, it was my fault.

I was so confident that I can protect you but this suddenly happened.

I’m so sorry.

(he looked to his friend dearly.)

 

It took an hour before his parents arrived. Mingyu and The8, who were out of energy resting on a chair outside Jeonghan’s room. They greeted his parents and reported them what had happened. Mingyu knocked before opening the door to let their leader know that Jeonghan’s parents were already there.

 

          They thanked them for taking good care of their angel; however, Seungcheol felt that he did not deserve those kind words because he couldn’t prevent this from happening. Mingyu knew that it was so hard for their beloved leader to face this kind of situation because other than working so hard for their team, he also have to look after them. He knew that Seungcheol felt that he failed as a leader but he couldn’t talk about it with him nor comfort him because S.Coups is older than him. He called Joshua while Seungcehol was talking to Jeonghan’s parents and to their manager about the details.

 

Mingyu:

Hello? Hyung!

 

Joshua:

Everything alright?

 

Mingyu:

Yeah. The8 is fine; though, he got a big bruise at his back. Then, Jeonghan hyung have to stay in bed for a long time. The doctor said he was in a coma due to the loss of oxygen in his brain but he’ll be alright. He will wake up soon.

 

Joshua:

Good to hear that. Make sure you eat your dinner. I know Coups is feeling down right now. He can’t be weak because he’s our leader. I’ll leave him to you.

 

Mingyu:

Okay, hyung.

 

          The other members were seated on their living room and couldn’t sleep because they were waiting for the result while holding the little doll Jeonghan gave them earlier. Joshua confirmed that Jeonghan was going to be fine. A moment later, S.Coups called them with a weak and exhausted voice.

 

S.Coups;

Joshua, everything’s okay now.

Have you eaten? Tell the kids to sleep early and get ready for tomorrow’s guesting. Please cancel Jeonghan’s schedule too. Tell Wonwoo to come over here with Jun tomorrow morning and tell them to bring some clothes too. They will be staying here until afternoon since they don’t have any schedule. Thank you.

 

Joshua:

Wait! Can I just say a few words?

 

S.Coups:

I know.

I will eat after I talk to them again. I’m feeling down but I have to get on my knees. I can’t be weak.

Good night. I’m going to sleep here.

Mingyu and The8 will go home because he has a schedule tomorrow. They’ll be back together with our manager.

 

Joshua:

(He smiled and admired Coups more.)

That’s our leader!

 

S.Coups:

Okay, I have to hang the phone now, I have someone to talk to. Good night.

 

Joshua:

Good night.

 

          All of them wanted to visit the hospital but was not allowed because (of course) there a lot of them in the first place. They were relieved when they heard that he was alright but at the same time they couldn’t sleep because they remembered everything that happened earlier.

 

Joshua:

I know everybody is stressed now but you need to sleep folks.

(He turned out the lights.)

 

Seungkwan:

(He was whispering something and he was fixing something.)

I’ll sleep with you.

 

DK:

What are you doing Seungkwan? Stop moving.

(Wondering what kept Seungkwan busy.)

 

Seungkwan:

I put the doll hyung gave us beside me.

 

DK:

Really? Me too.

(They started copying him and giggled again.)

 

          All of them did that so they could sleep, they even sprayed Jeonghan’s perfume all over the room so that the atmosphere would be very light. Joshua couldn’t help but smile not because he found their act stupid but because he also liked the idea. No wonder they fell asleep immediately because Jeonghan’s scent made them calm. They were like kids looking for their mom and couldn’t sleep without a kiss from her.