Chapter 15

My Con-Artist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

A/N : ALL OF YOU BETTER READ THIS BECAUSE IM STILL MOURNING HOBI'S DEATH.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hoseok was 16 when he learned how cruel someone can be. How anything could happen to anyone.

He dropped the bags of food he was holding as he saw his family's house erupt in flames, slowly spreading throughout the house.

 

He watched as a boy that looked no older than 14 stood next to a man that had just set the flames to his house.

His family is still in there, he can hear them screaming.

Soon the flames engulfed the house. The man walked away, looking proud of himself as the boy quietly trailed behind him. Hoseok, who still hasn’t moved from his spot, finally came to his senses.

“Mom...Dad…” he sputtered and started sprinting towards the house. He wanted desperately to call for help but he didn’t have a phone...his family was never able to afford one for him. It would be too late if he were to go find another phone. The street was too quiet and it was already nighttime. Nobody was around.

Hoseok absentmindedly ran inside the flaming building.

“Mom! Dad!” he called again. Doing his best to breathe through the smoke and keeping his mind off of the heat, he navigated through the halls, knowing that his family would have been in the upstairs bedroom.

HIs eyes watered, and his throat was extremely dry. He hated the situation he was in right now, but he couldn't stop. Family was the only thing he had left. He was determined to save them, or die trying.

Bright orange flames was the only thing he could see through his teary eyes. He brought his shirt over his nose and mouth in attempt to filter the air.

He felt like his body was, quite literally, on fire. Rushing up the stairs, the smoke was only getting thicker. As soon as he put his full body weight on the middle step, the stairs gave in and collapsed. Before he could process anything, he was falling through the floors of the house.

“Whoa, !”  Hoseok was now lying him a heap of burning wood, sirens being the last thing he heard before passing out.

 

He woke up to the sound of a heart monitor beeping, he forced his eyes open and looked around. He noticed the cast on his entire left and right leg and the bandages on his abdomen. His mouth felt dry, he saw a nurse walk in.

“Ah you're awake, you took a lot on your body” The nurse says as she wrote something down.

Hoseok displayed a confused expression as e tried to recall why he was in the hospital. Upon realization, his eyes widened and he tried to sit up, despite the pain.

“M-My parents…. Are they ok?” He pleaded with a hoarse voice.

The nurse’s expression turned grim, but she pretended as if she didn’t hear a thing.

“I’m going to have to get the doctor to run a few tests.” she says, placing her clipboard down.

Hoseok, who didn’t notice her brief change of expression, didn’t object, and let the doctor come in and examine his condition. He believed that if he was able to make it out, then they must have been able to save his parents as well.

“How are you feeling?” the doctor asked as he checked the cast around his head. “Do you remember your name?”

“It’s Hoseok. And I’m feeling... better than what you’d expect for someone in my situation. But my throat is a little dry.” he replies. “When can I see my parents?”

Both the doctor and the nurse froze on the spot. They weren’t sure how to tell the boy.

“Looks like you’re doing fine.” the doctor says, avoiding the question. “We’ll have somebody come and talk to you shortly.”

Hoseok furrowed his eyebrows as the two walked out of his room. They were soon replaced with a tall man in a black trench coat.

“Hello Hoseok, you can call me detective Choi” the man pulled up a chair and took a seat at the foot of his hospital bed. Hoseok nodded to acknowledge him.

The detective wanted to get this over with, and was planning on being very straight forward with this.

“Hoseok, there’s no easy way to say this, but I’m sorry for your loss”

“Pardon, what?”

“Your family couldn't make it.”

 

 

 

A week later, the detective was called back upon Hoseok’s request. Again, he sat at the foot of the bed, having a silent staring contest with Hoseok.

“Sir, it wasn’t just an accident, my parents wouldn’t be reckless enough to leave the stove on.” Hoseok started. “There was a man there, he was the one who did it!”

The detective looked unconvinced, but Hoseok was about to scratch his eyes out from frustration.

“Son, you must have hit your head hard. We made investigations and found nothing about a man…”

“But I saw it with my own two eyes!” If his head wasn’t already hurt, he would have started to bang his head on the nearest table until it bled.

At that moment, a knock came from the door. Neither of the two replied but the door opened anyways. A familiar looking man stepped through, and Hoseok suppressed the urge to get up and strangle him...but it’s not like he could have done so anyways.

“Ah, good afternoon Hoseok, I was a friend of your father. I just wanted to come and see how you were doing.” the Man forced a smile.

“It was Him! I saw him there that day!” Hoseok screamed and pointed at the man, who’s fake smile had been wiped off his face.

“I’m sorry?” He looked offended.

The detective looked skeptical.

“Son, do you know who you’re talking to? This is the CEO of the Jeon corporation! Are you accusing him of murder?”

The said CEO turned his head face away from the Detective. He was hiding a smirk but Hoseok saw it clearly.

To make matters worse, the doctor also walked in to join the conversation.

“Is there a problem here?” he asked, clueless of what was happening.

“Hoseok here was just a little confused.” Ceo Jeon answered and turned to face the doctor who was still standing at the door. His face was now hidden from both Hoseok and the Detective.

After a short moment of silence, he could see the doctor’s eyes visibly widen.

“A-ah yes,” he stuttered. “He did hit his head quite hard… the injury may have caused him to be delusional.”

The CEO pivoted on his heel to face Hoseok with yet another smirk.

“Yeah, just leave it to us kid.” the detective spoke up. “We know what we’re doing. Don’t do our job for us.”

With that, both the detective and the doctor got up and exited, leaving the two alone in the hospital room. Hoseok could only watch helplessly as last glimmer of hope disappeared. There was nothing he could do now. He turned to glare at the man who only returned the favour. The man moved to replace the detective at the foot of the bed.

“I expect you finish what your parents started.” he suddenly said.

It was Hoseok’s turn to be confused, but at least he wasn’t pretending to be. Without waiting for a response, the man continued.

“I guess they never told you.” He crossed his legs and raised his hands to examine the ring on his finger. “Haven't you ever wondered how they dealt with all the loans and bills?”

Hoseok eyed him in silence, not knowing what to say.

“Well, in case you haven't caught on already, they came to me, asking for money.” he intertwined his fingers and placed them on his lap. “Although it was more than a few years ago… you were probably too young to remember.”

Hoseok tried to recall a time when his parents ever spoke about borrowing money from this man, but he couldn't think of anything. They had always just been a small family, just barely managing to get by.

“Even after all this time I still didn’t get that money back. If I had used it for the company, the Jeon corporation would have been much more successful.” he made eye contact. “With yearly interest, I’d say you owe me...a few million now.”

Hoseok almost choked upon hearing the amount of money he was expected to pay back. But now, he was just a homeless orphan, how was he supposed to do that?

“Did you have to kill them?” Hoseok asked carefully.

“Hmm, they were taking too long.” The CEO said nonchalantly, as if they were talking about something as casual as their sunday plans. “Your dad was starting to deny the fact that they were in debt to me. It was really annoying. Plus, relieving stress is good for you is it not?”

Hoseok stared at the man before him, paralysed. It was chaos in his head at the moment. He was upset about how his parents had to deal with all of this, about not being able to be the perfect son they wished they had. But most of all, he was frustrated that the real criminal wouldn’t get the punishment he deserves.

“You can turn against me all you want.” Jeon laughed. “But in the end, everyone is always on my side.”

He stood up to leave. He did what he had to do.

“Now that they’re gone, you’ll replace them. Try to run, and I’ll make your life a living hell. Finish what they started.” was the last thing he said before closing the door to the hospital room.

 

 

 

Hoseok was finally discharged and was able to return to school again, but he still had a cast around his arm.

He left his new foster home in a daze. They had provided him with some new clothes and supplies as well as anything they could scavenge from the remains of his old home. His new foster parents tried their best to make him comfortable, but it just wasn't the same.

No, he was not suicidal. Hoseok had his own goals for life, and he knew what his parents wanted him to become. He can’t afford to disappoint them.

Hoseok’s mind often wandered back to his conversation with the CEO. He hated himself for not being able to come up with better come backs. But his thirst for revenge towards the man was much stronger than his own frustrations. However what the man said that day was right, everyone will be on his side.

He walked quickly, contemplating on how he should handle this. His life was a sticky situat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter