CHAPTER 8: Festival (2/2)

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The gentle prince charming,

The compassionate White Queen,

The roguish Dark Knight. 

 

Day of the Cultural Festival

(8:14 a.m.)

 

It was the opening day of the 3-day Festival.

 

Students from other schools, parents and tourists from all over the city were now lined up at the entrance of the university, eagerly waiting for the opening of the Festival. And even at a distance, one could feel the buzz of festivity as oversized balloons of various characters – including the school’s mascot itself, ‘Krunk’ – filled the clear blue skies.

 

The exhilaration of the crowd was building up as the clocks ticks away for the grand opening of the event.

 

However, For Yang Hyun Suk, the festival not only serves as an entertainment for the public but it’s also a bridge to promote the school.

 

A way to break the infamous label given to them.

 

Being one of the top schools of the country. YG is often labeled by most as the ‘Home of the Top Notch Students’. It’s famous for the awards and recognition given to its students from various fields: Academics, Musical, Drama, Arts, and even in Sports.

 

But their excellency would be often misunderstood by many.

 

To which the school had unknowingly built a name that it’s only a ‘School for the Rich and Talented kids.’

 

A school full of rich spoiled brats whose family can only afford the costly tuition fee. A school filled with students who ridicules anyone who weren’t comparable to their hierarchical level.  

 

But he knows his students were more than those false accusations and rumors.

 

Their school’s reputation is on the line.

 

And he’s determined to prove them wrong.

 

The festival showcases the pride and honor of the school itself…

 

…his beloved students.

 

 

Managing to elude the crowd that was forming outside, Jennie hurriedly swipes her I.D. at the turnstile of the entrance of their school. She clutches her backpack to secure her costume inside it and swiftly ran towards the high school department building.

 

The various booths of the different classes welcomed her. Each lined up at both sides of the walkway, flourishing it with its colorful banners and balloons. Decorations crafted with skilled workmanship embellished each booth.

 

A representation for their chosen theme.

 

Booths near the entrance were filled with souvenirs, toys and dolls of different sizes and colors. There’s also numerous booths for amusement with varied concepts. A few of them were booths wherein one could get married with a plastic ring, be jailed with your crush, or be dumped in cold water when someone hit the bulleyes. Whilst at the far side, were the booths filled with various treats and delicacies, enough to satisfy a sweet tooth or an exotic craving. 

 

Turning to the right, Jennie finally arrived at their department’s building after passing by almost all of the booths. She briskly walked at the hallways and released a sigh when she’s finally arrived at their ‘booth’.  

 

She gripped the straps of her bag tightly as nerves started to settled in. She wasn’t ready for the festival. And she doesn’t know if she could do her duty as a maid while wearing such frilly outfit.

 

Somehow…

 

This made her more nervous than taking the exams.

 

Here goes nothing.

 

She resigned as she unwillingly pushes the back door of the home economics hall, entering a room similar to a living room found in a common household.

 

The hall was made up of three areas: a replicate of a living room, a kitchen with stations for pastry and cookery, and a dining area with a bar – stacked with exquisite liquors and wine –situated at its side.

 

It was the perfect place for their ‘café’, and it makes her wonder on how their class managed to secure the place for their concept.

 

It was a privilege actually. To be given the permission to use one of the facilities of the school. At which it was only granted to the classes that were outstanding and would represent the school without tarnishing its name.   

 

So with last year’s incident and with Daesung telling them about the principal’s disappointment on their class, she didn’t expected that they would be able to get any permission to use any of the facilities, let alone use the home economics hall.

 

However, it did made sense.

 

It’s the advantage of your classmate – slash – best friend being the ‘Student Council President’

 

Who she hopes…wasn’t abusing her power.

 

But as usual, she finds herself being disappointed for even hoping.

 

“You’re here.”

 

0.5 seconds.

 

It took 0.5 seconds for her Unnie to came up to her.

 

And at the back of her mind…

 

That’s always not a good thing.

 

“You want to be the chef, right?” Jisoo asked her immediately. A mocking grin already plastered at her pretty face. 

 

“What happened?” She responded, managing to even out her voice despite hearing the odd query from her best friend.

 

“Hanbin. He couldn’t come.” Jisoo explained simply. “He said something about his father visiting him for the first time in months.”

 

Not getting her hopes up, Jennie asked impassively. “But he’ll be back, right?”

 

Jisoo nodded. “Yep. For the second and last day.”

 

Ah…at least I don’t get to wear ‘that’ for a day.

 

She walked to the side of the room and placed her belongings at a nearby table. She glanced at the president while tying her hair in a ponytail. 

 

“Who’s my replacement then?”

 

Jisoo smirked at her.

 

“Let me call her for you.”

 

Jennie trailed the president’s retreating figure with her eyes. And within seconds, she saw Lisa being dragged towards her direction.

 

What the hell.

 

The pair came into a stop as they both faced her.

 

“Jennie. Lisa. – Lisa. Jennie.” Jisoo beckoned with her left hand at the pair. A gesture like that of meeting an acquaintance.

 

The motion made Jennie to twitch her eyebrows in slight aggravation. It was mocking her.

 

Of course…Why didn’t I expect this.

 

She straight up stared at her best friend as she avoids to spare the blonde any look.

 

She’d completely resigned at the ‘surprises’ her best friend would always come up with.

 

She didn’t even make an effort to show her exasperation.

 

She’s tired of the fact that her Unnie was far from being the supportive best friend she’d wanted her to be.

 

Jennie just wants her to be the fairy god mother who will grant her wishes, make her life much easier, be more tolerable.

 

But no.

 

Her best friend would rather be the witch.

 

Who would gladly make her bite a poisoned apple.

 

“I’ll see ya.” Jisoo hugged her. She leaned in closer as she whispers at the brunette’s ear. “Help her with the costume, will you?”

 

Even though she couldn’t see the president’s expression. Jennie knows her best friend is wearing that annoying sneer of hers.

 

So she hugged back.

 

Tighter.

 

The one that will literally take your breathe off.

 

“Be careful Unnie.” She threatened silently, sending tingles at the presidents’ spine. Uttering each word with such coldness. “I might…get pissed off already.”

 

“I…I.” Jisoo coughed a reply when Jennie finally released her hold. “…w-will.”

 

The president distanced herself from her best friend, obviously terrified at Jennie’s resentful smile.

 

“I n-need to go. I need to give the welcoming speech at the theater room.” She nimbly raised a finger and points out to the kitchen area. “J-just talk to Seungyoon. He and some of our classmates will help you out in the kitchen.” She fervently explained despite her stutters.

 

She bolted out of the room before shouting at the brunette. “Nyeong-an!”

 

Jennie audibly sighed. She closes her eyes as she tries to calm herself.

 

She knows she’s the type of person who has a high tolerance on every mishaps or afflictions that arises.

 

But the president was really pushing her buttons.

 

She’s afraid that she might lose all her self-control, conscious of the fact that its outcome was a sight she never wants to see.

 

Because her outrage isn’t a loud screech of annoyance, nor a roar of indignation.

 

It’s a frigid and piercing glare.

 

A look that broods silence.

 

Enough to stupefy anyone who dares to slander her once more.

 

Her reverie was suddenly cut off when someone gently taps her shoulder. She automatically turns to the side but only to come face to face with a certain blonde.

 

The blonde whom she’s knowingly avoiding for the past few days.

 

“So…uhmm…” Lisa mumbles with a faint tone, bowing slightly. Her bangs covering the bashfulness of her features. “Where’s…my…costume?”

 

Jennie remained rooted in her place while vacantly staring at the blonde. She slowly tilted her head to the side, trying to make sure if this was the same blonde she’d known.

 

Because there’s no way that the timid voice that asked her…

 

…came from this very same blonde.

 

She instinctively knows that Lisa, who’s always b with overconfidence and arrogance, would never ask a question in such way.

 

A shyness that was typical to a school girl who’s about to confess to her long-time crush.

 

So she scrutinizes her, trailing her gaze at the blonde’s lithe figure. But her quick intake of air made her realized her shortened breathing.

 

Because once again...

 

She’s helplessly ensnared by the blonde’s beauty.

 

Blinking slowly, she openly stared at her.

 

She was completely entranced at the illusion crafted by the bright rays of the sun from the open windows of the room, encapsulating the blonde’s golden locks with a glow that seems to create a halo.

 

Blinding her with an image of Lisa, that was in contradiction on what she’d known.

 

She’s…mesmerized.

 

Bewitched.

 

It has to be.

 

Because she knows she would never wander on these thoughts.

 

Thoughts on how she suddenly wants to run her hand through those soft blonde locks...or how she revels on what would it feel like…

 

…to trail her touch against that porcelain skin.

 

She slowly bites her lower lip as she tries to muster every ounce of self-control that’s left. Because it was tantalizing her.

 

A temptation she wants to cave in.

 

Closing her eyes, she willed herself not to give in.

 

She can’t yield.

 

Releasing a shaky breath, she attempts to recall the query that was asked despite her hazy mind, but before she could even conceive any answer, her thoughts dissipated when Lisa finally lifts her head.

 

Their eyes meeting for the first time.

 

It felt like déjà vu once again.

 

Because like the day she first met the blonde, she’s drawn to those same jet-black eyes.

 

Eyes…that she’d miss staring upon.

 

A chasm that would glint with mischief or…glower with anger. Eyes that she willfully wants to command its complete and utter attention.

 

And eyes that doesn’t fail…

 

To make her heart race.

 

A fast-rhythmic beat that would always entail confusion and warmth that she couldn’t point out. A tugging that pulls her towards the blonde.

 

An attraction she couldn’t control. 

 

But she suddenly notices it as their eyes unable to break its contact. A subtle feeling she’d missed as she aimlessly roves over those black orbs.

 

Because she’d realized, those weren’t the same eyes anymore.

 

Right now, those eyes are staring straight back at her with a look she wasn’t used to.

 

It wasn’t of hate, annoyance, nor pure boredom.

 

Lisa was gazing deeply at her like…

 

She’s in love with her.

 

Time seemed to still. Freezed by the moment that’s enclosing them. Blurring out the reality surrounding them.

 

And for once.

 

It was a fantasy she doesn’t mind living for a moment.

 

But it was just a glimpse.

 

A glitch from the reality there is.

 

She was pulled from her dazed state when she heard a cheery voice and a gentle pull on her arm...

 

Rendering her back to the real world.

 

Effectively breaking the spell that was casted upon them.

 

“Jennie-ah.”

 

It was a tender yet familiar voice. The voice of someone that felt like home.

 

A familiarity she’d long for.

 

Saving her from the trap that the blonde was coaxing her into.

 

She could feel the tugging of her lips, a smile daintily forming on her features. And before she could even veer towards that voice, she was enveloped into a warm hug. Arms holding into her waist securely as their bodies fit in the tight embrace.

 

She’s saved from a path…that she’s about to blindingly follow.

 

And it was all she’d ever wanted.

 

To be saved by a dashing prince, from al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter