CHAPTER 11: Fake

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The buried secrets.

A distinct desire.

The remote truth.

 

Saturday

(9:29 a.m.)

 

Jennie paces anxiously around her room.

 

Circling…Doubling back…And traverses with hasty steps once more.

 

Her mind was going amiss. Thinking of different scenarios, possible reasons that could explain Seungwan’s actions. She recollects it. The way Seungwan looked so defeated. Eyes seemingly constricted on letting her know the truth, wielding onto her that it was useless.

 

That any attempt to spurn it would just be in vain.

 

Jennie opens the drawer at her desk and took out the book. The book that Seungwan has to suggest despondently. She stared. No. Glared belligerently at the book as she wonders what is its importance – value even – to be declared as her last book.

 

Wuthering Heights.

 

She repeated the title over and over, never letting it be omitted nor repressed by her mind. She flipped through its pages. Scanning. Skimming. Just to know or to have a clue on what Seungwan is thinking. 

 

“Seungwan-ah…” Jennie dispiritedly uttered.

 

The anxiety was killing her.

 

She got no choice.

 

She…needs his help.

 

She scuttled to her bedside and grabs her phone. For a minute, she held her look at his name and with a sigh she finally taps it.

 

The ringing of her phone and the loud thrumming of her heart was all she can hear, knowing all along that the man must have been perturbed about her well-being as she was successful on averting any line of communication between them.

 

“Milady. Good Morning.”

 

A low yet courteous voice greeted her shortly. The voice of the man who has stringent principles on abiding the rules of their family’s mansion. She smiled slightly, mindful that the man was still uptight and high-strung like she’d always known him.

 

“Please don’t call me that, Tablo.”

 

“Milady, Pardon me. But that’s not my name.”

 

It’s actually his nickname. The name which he’s famous of during his stay in the military.

 

“See? That’s what I feel when you call me Milady.” She lightly teases him, his voice still rigid despite him knowing that she wasn’t in favor of honorifics for that matter.

 

“Milady, my name is Daniel. It seems like you’ve forgotten it already.” He said in clear tone as to reproach her like a parent having a mischievous child.

 

Daniel Armand Lee.

 

He’s the Head Security of their family and also the Chief Butler of their mansion. A former member of the Special Forces of the country and a man who was given high distinction for his skills in combat, intelligence on devising military tactics and ability to gather intel.

 

He’s a man of great glory and honor and also…the most stoic man Jennie had ever met – always sporting that black tuxedo suit paired with dark tinted shades and invariably securing a communicating device to wherever he goes.

 

He’s mostly feared by many.

 

But for her…

 

The man was more of a father to her.

 

More so, than her actual one.

 

“I haven’t forgotten…” Jennie uttered. “Daniel. I…need your help.”

 

The line had gone silent for a few seconds and Jennie could sense that the man was overthinking things. She was proven right when the man replied callously, his tone prominent of overprotectiveness.

 

“I’ll send some of my men at your apartment right now.”

 

“Gosh no!!” Jennie exclaimed immediately.

 

Leave it to him to exaggerate her words.

 

“Don’t worry! I’m good!” Jennie places a hand at her forehead, she couldn’t handle more complications other than her own. “Please don’t send any bodyguards at my apartment’s door. I’ll fire them the moment I see them.”

 

“But –”

 

“That’s an order.” Jennie commanded with an authoritative tone.

 

Her voice instantly dropping into a cold one.

 

“As you…As you wish, Milady.”

 

Jennie could hear the hesitancy beyond his words – troubled on what orders to obey – speculating that the dispatch of security must be one of the many protocols that he must obey. She hung her head low as she contemplates on what she’s about to say, finally explaining her request to ease the man’s tension.

 

“I…I just want you…to gather all the medical records of this person named Seungwan. Son Seungwan.” She meekly muttered. “She’s my…”

 

She remained rooted to where she stands, caught in repudiation by her own statement.

 

Her mind cluelessly seeking the words…

 

She couldn’t find.

 

“Milady?” Tablo asked her once she’d trail off.

 

She’s my…what?

 

The question hung around and she could feel her hand balled into a fist…

 

Restlessly shaking at its side.

 

She could feel her breathe shorten as confusion…

 

Finally envelops her.

 

 

Sunday

(1:43 p.m.)

 

Jennie willed herself to stare straight ahead as the maid guides her into Seungwan’s room, passing through long halls carpeted with luxurious embroidery that Jennie could only wonder which country it’s from.

 

It was still the same.

 

It hangs numerous chandeliers in grandiose at the hallways. Illuminating the room with a refracted light from its crystal prisms, webbed by on what seems like an array of translucent glass as it interconnects at its center. Jennie glimpses to the side and could also see the paintings of various artists, diversified by different styles that ranges from minimalism to abstract art.

 

She paved her look to the front once more as she could feel her stomach churn in a sudden.

 

It reminded her of their family’s mansion.

 

Its luxurious furniture. Its spacious expanse.

 

And its mere aura heralding elegance the moment you took your first step.

 

But unlike any other, Jennie would rather choose this home than ever stepping into their mansion.

 

“Thank you.” Jennie utters to the maid that accompanied her once she’s in front of the door, smiling gratefully at her.

 

“You're welcome, Milady.” The said maid bows at her respectfully and took her leave.

 

Jennie sighs in resignation, cringing at the way the maid addressed her.

 

Why do they even need to call me that?

 

Jennie knocks raptly at the door and within seconds she could hear a clutter at the other side followed by clumsy steps. She raises her knuckles and knocks for the second time, reckoning that Seungwan was experimenting on things again.

 

“Hey…Who?” Seungwan finally opened the door and smiles when she caught sight of her, approaching her with outstretched arms. “Jennie-ah!!”

 

Jennie dodged swiftly before Seungwan could even hug her.  

 

She’s right.

 

Seungwan was indeed experimenting on her new-found habit.

 

Jennie grimaced and lurched her look at Seungwan’s messy state. Her clothes were covered with stains of paint and despite the smear that runs across her left cheek, Seungwan was excitedly grinning at her – giving a notion that she’s a kid rather than that of an heir of a multi-million company.

 

Jennie shakes her head and enters Seungwan’s room, and if Seungwan was a mess.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter