CHAPTER 1: Illusion

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  

The scent of spring

The scent of these sweet cherry blossoms

The start of it all

 

March 2012

 

The entrance ceremony was just about to start when Kim Jennie arrived at the gymnasium of their school. Heaving a sigh, she briskly walked and looked from the myriad of students hoping to find a vacant seat. She was glad she made it on time despite the heavy traffic, reminding herself to wake up early and stop playing online games at an ungodly hour during school days.

 

It’s Jisoo-unnie’s fault. Barging in and announcing a sleepover just because of her whims. Then not waking me up? And she’s my best friend for 7 years.

 

Sighing again for the nth time, she slowly shook her head as a small smile was starting to creep at her face. She can’t stay mad at her as she remembers the banters and giggles they had that night. It mostly involved pillows and profanities being thrown whenever their characters suffered defeat.

 

She walked through the aisle of the gym as students were already greeting her with smiles and little waves.

 

“Good morning.” she said, slightly bowing as another group of students greeted her with cheery smiles.

 

It wasn't new to her. She gets this kind of treatment on a daily basis. Being the top student of her batch, she had gained respect not only from her teachers but from her fellow students as well. Not to mention she’s one of the prettiest girls in the campus, with her soft brown locks, curvaceous body and piercing brown eyes, she makes guys and girls swoon over her. But despite her popularity, she remains humble and treats other students kindly.

 

After greeting another student, Jennie saw one of her best friends waving at her with both hands - trying to catch her attention. She smiled and immediately went to the left side of the gym wherein her best friend reserved a seat for her.

 

“Awwwee...and here I thought you’ll gonna get your first late award.” her raven haired friend cutely pouted.

 

“Chaeng! That’s really mean and you sound very disappointed too.” She uttered as she sat on her reserved seat, slightly laughing at her friend’s dismayed look. “You. Should. Stop. Hanging. Out. With. Chichyu.” She poked the side of Chaeyoung’s waist as she emphasized each word, making the said raven haired to twitch and bit her bottom lip in an attempt to stifle her laughs.

 

“Unnie! I get it. I get it.” Chaeyoung raised her hands in resignation. Moving her head to the side, the younger remarked. “Oh look, I think Jisoo-unnie will give her speech now.”

 

“Oh yeah. I forgot.” Jennie replies and turned her attention to the stage, waiting for their best friend to appear from the wings of the stage.

 

It’s customary in YG High for the newly elected Student Council President to preside the Entrance Ceremony. The president would give a speech about welcoming the freshmen and old students. It consists mostly of the reiteration of the school’s policies and guidelines, the duties and responsibilities of each student, and the events that would take place during the academic year.

 

In short. This consists of bored and impatient students who wants nothing but for the ceremony to end already. For the old students, hearing the same speech over and over again just caused yawns and grunts at their own seats. And for the new students, who were eager and nervous for their first day, their giddiness was soon replaced by that same boredom. 

 

It doesn’t help the fact that YG High is infamous of its four-hour all-speech entrance ceremony. As their principal, Yang Hyun Suk would always say to them, “Discipline and Intelligence works hand in hand”. Thus, emphasis on the policies of the school and strict adherence to it was always the main point in the speech.

 

But it seems like…this entrance ceremony would be the most entertaining one in the history of YG High. Jennie thought when she saw her best friend, Kim Jisoo, walked confidently to the stage - wearing a devious grin on her face.

 

As if reading Jennie’s thoughts, Chaeyoung facepalmed and murmured silently. 

 

“I guess this is what she meant when she said ‘Choo time’ huh.”

 

“Y-yeah.” Jennie replied as she covers her giggle with her hand.

 

 

5 hours later

 

The school bell rang throughout the school, signaling the start of the afternoon classes. Students walked off the cafeteria with goofy smiles and loud chatters wherein they’re still talking about what happened a few hours ago at the entrance ceremony.

 

“Unnie! Don’t ever do that again!” Chaeyoung warned Jisoo as they made their way to their classroom.

 

Jisoo just laughed hard. “Don’t be like that Chaeng. I did great right?”

 

“Y-y-yeah.” Jennie said in between her laughs and held her stomach, still couldn't get over what her best friend just pulled off. “I thought singing the school’s anthem to the tune of a nursery rhyme hit the gold. But boy I was wrong! I can’t believe you i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter