CHAPTER 13: Book

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Our past.

Our love.

Our story.

 

It was pitch black.

 

She was trapped.

 

into a vacuous of ghoulishness.

 

Jennie couldn’t see anything. Eyes straining, staring into nothing but darkness.

 

Yet, she waits for it.

 

Foreboding something, repressing her eyes to even blink with her dimmed vision.

 

She stood still. Horrified to take a step. That any movement would aggrieved it more.

 

It was a nightmare that undeviatingly besiege her.

 

Then…

 

It started.

 

She could faintly hear it.

 

Small whispers at first as it morphs into crescendo, turning into strident and shrilly voices.

 

Raspy mewls.

 

Beleaguering her as their distance diminish within seconds. Words that she would always hear. Trampling over her repeatedly, echoing through her.

 

Uttering words of wickedness.

 

“Look. It’s her.”

 

A demeaning smirk.

 

“You’re just a fraud.”

 

A lifted finger.

 

“How can she be…like her sister?”

 

A covered mouth.

 

Hushed in a deceitful whisper.

 

She thought it would already be in abrogation, ceased into oblivion like it always does. Still, it scudded into her.

 

Those same sneers.

 

Same insults.

 

Numbing her already.

 

She…was used to it.

 

She closes her eyes, insightful that it was just a dream she would just wake into.  

 

She’s mistaken.

 

With a forceful shove, she was pivoted gruelingly.

 

Her back slamming hard against an intangible wall. A sudden pain erupted into her body. Its heavy impact dementing her vision. She blinked back and felt her shoulders pinned hard on both sides.

 

She wanted to fight back but she couldn’t see. The sinking feeling of pain blurring it all out as she coughed in a rattle.

 

She lifted a hand and swipes her chin.

 

A cold yet metallic taste which was all too familiar to her.

 

It’s her blood.

 

Provoked by its smell, her nightmare shifted its hand into her neck. Lifting her face up.

 

She shivered in fear.

 

She had the notion that it already vanished, begone from its existence yet it effectuated once more.

 

She tightly closes her eyes, her instincts stirred of its face leaning closer into her. That sinking feeling she’d enduringly bear.

 

She doesn’t want to see it.

 

That faceless mask.

 

Those unadorned remote eyes.

 

An emptiness that torments her.

 

A distinguishable comparison of her.

 

Hollowed completely…until there’s nothing left.

 

Trapped in the expectations of all.

 

“You’ll never be her.”

 

It simply uttered.

 

Frigid but apparent of malevolence.

 

Corrupted of its own words.

 

She stood in her place, disabled from even lifting a finger. Its obtrusive voice withholding her. She shivered involuntarily once she registers it.

 

It cackled.

 

Laughing madly.

 

Delighted on how she’s turned into.

 

Petrified.

 

Caged like an animal.

 

“Jennie.”

 

A clacking sound of steps followed.

 

She opens her eyes, downcast, cold sweat running through her skin as her eyes gaped in a muted shock.

 

It’s her father.

 

The shadow ceases its laughter, as if caught in surprise, and flees hastily. Its shadow that reigned over her deceased in an instant.

 

She hears his voice yet she still held her gaze downwards.

 

The footsteps finally came into a stop as the air exuded in total authority just from his presence.

 

Father.

 

She couldn’t respond nor utter any words. She couldn’t peek a glance upwards.

 

She couldn’t look at him.

 

That the second she did.

 

She wouldn’t be able to handle his look.

 

“Don’t disappoint us, Jennie.”

 

He commanded to her sternly.

 

She smiled weakly.

 

For she…

 

Already failed him.

 

His heels clacked back as he retreats, hauling the darkness with him.

 

The light slowly seeped through, wisps of rays, but it brought a hysteria of clicking noise. Blearing out all in a sudden as it envelops her vision.

 

Raising a hand, she squinted her eyes to cover its flare.

 

Flashes of cameras were now b back at her relentlessly.

 

Shifting slightly, she’d noticed that her simple clothes were now replaced with a white dress.

 

Its luxurious silk hung into her body in perfection.

 

A graceful silhouette though accessorized with simple designs, highlighting all her curves as it trails down to floor with a velvet yet ostentatious extravagance.

 

She stood straight, fitted with high heels, brushing against the red carpet that was now laid onto her path.

 

She glances around and finally realizes that all these glamour…wasn’t for her.

 

Awed and open-mouthed faces and the gush of the crowd was directed upfront. Their fascination tailing them up close.

 

It’s for her parents.

 

Jennie followed them with her look and she discerns it.

 

How her parents dominated and gained the crowd’s attention by regally striding, side by side, with impassive looks.

 

Their aura dripping of absolute supremacy.

 

Ruling their own kingdom.  

 

She was left there, standing in despondency, watching their poised statures like an audience from the background. Undeserving to be called as their heir.

 

Their distance increasing, slowly, step by step.

 

Anguished, she lifts a hand as if to grasps them.

 

To be within their vicinity.  

 

To finally…reach up to them.

 

Then all in a sudden, they both halted their steps.

 

Looking back.

 

Smiling fondly at her direction.

 

Time stopped for her then. It was the moment she’s been waiting for all her life.

 

Unceasingly praying for this day to come.

 

For her to witness...her parent’s proud smile.

 

She scrunches her brows and slowly shakes her head.

 

It was all too surreal but she smiles back at them.

 

She took her first step, eagerly stopping herself from running towards them, and strides calmly like that of a monarch.

 

Her heart was bursting from euphoric happiness, uncontrollably so. That finally, she was appreciated by her parents.

 

She’s meters away, meager space from them, when she perceives it.

 

Jennie studied their faces and she can see how their eyes were transfixed somewhere, looking past through her.

 

Their gaze.

 

Their smiles.

 

It wasn’t for her.  

 

She turns and finds her assumption to be true.

 

It’s…for her sister.

 

She peered through her surroundings, and like a noble heir she’s always been, her sister’s entrance impelled the people around them to be stricken in wonder. 

 

The crowd stirred up, abruptly advancing towards them. Moving past her, pushing and shoving the other as they mobbed them. Shouting their names to get their attention, hurriedly clicking to capture their grace.

 

Caught in the middle of the sea upheaval, Jennie retained, tilting her head to the side as she spectates remotely. Her sister adjoined their parents, tangled in a tight embraced with overjoyed faces.

 

Her sister is and will always be their pride.

 

An honor she’s unable to attain, no matter how hard she tries.

 

Then with a sudden impact, she was ed to the ground, deliberately tripped. Her elegant dress was reduced into a stained, grubby fabric.

 

A circle surrounds her with vain faces, leering down at her. Pitying her as they all huddled up, whispering, a withering endeavor as she could hear it all.

 

Indicating that they weren’t even trying to hide it.

 

“Is she one of the heirs? I heard she’s not even a genius like her parents.”

 

With their undivided attention being the most importance, they swivel their backs at her, rueful that they even gave her a glance. Yet, they need to mutter those words first.

 

As if to break her.

 

“A disgrace to the Royal Family.”

 

It didn’t hurt her.

 

Those disparaging words coming out from those strangers’ mouths.

 

A blasphemous comparison to the pain she felt the moment her parents turn their backs at her.

 

Heeding no attention…

 

To her very existence.

 

She plunked both of her hands to get up, staggering slightly but managed to posed on all fours.

 

The carpet mystically transformed into a murk of mud. She balled her hands into a tight fist. Her fingers digging through the dirt.

 

“I am the Queen.” she firmly exacted.

 

All in infallible authority.

 

Unsparingly asserting that no one…

 

Could ever defy her.

 

A blinding flicker followed.

 

Altering it once more.

 

Gone were the flashes.

 

The pandemonium of the throng and the turbid ground she’s been pressed.

 

She finds herself seated, sighting a familiar walled classroom and ceiling.

 

She was younger, cognizing her old classmates in middle school.

 

They all stared straight ahead, unbothered at her arrival, and listens to their teacher’s discussion.

 

She finds it odd.

 

She felt something changed within her.

 

An evocative feeling of coldness she hadn’t known to muster.

 

Her eyes growing into boredom, icily exposing her numbness.

 

Time slipped by and before she knew it, the bell rang to signal the end of their classes.

 

She stood and strolled to the exit, procuring looks from her classmates. She huffed at them and raises a brow intimidatingly, confused from their scrutiny. Not getting a reply, she passes by them.

 

Unlike her classmates’ outlandish behavior, students at the hallways shushed instantaneously when they caught sight of her.

 

“L-look at her. Does she…ever smile?”

 

She heard it, a faint mumble. Hushed in a whisper of fright.

 

It amuses her.

 

Wickedly so.

 

It continues.

 

“Why would you talk to her? She’s so…scary.”

 

She grins like that of a treacherous Cheshire cat.

 

Sadistic.

 

“Hey! Hey! Don’t go near her. I heard she’s the Ice Queen.”

 

Ice Queen.

 

It’s the perfect name for her.

 

A numbing feeling, similar to the frigidness of ice.

 

Hounding within her.

 

Cloaking her with a bitter sensation.

 

“Jen.”

 

It cracked.

 

The walls of detachment she’d built.

 

Expunged in an instant upon hearing his voice.

 

She’s enveloped in an embrace. An amiable heat spreading within her as she felt strong arms tightening gently against her waist.

 

She closes her eyes and felt it seep through her as it tears it all down.

 

Her insecurities. Her inhibitions.

 

Her fears.

 

Thawing her cold heart.

 

She leans back, falling to its comfort. To its security.

 

That she…can finally know what it feels like.

 

To have someone who you can have faith, when all you’ve ever wanted was to give up.

 

“Bobby.” She lovingly uttered his name.

 

He slowly turned her with a hand.

 

They came face to face. His face gracing an affectionate smile, thudding her heart back into life. She places a hand against his chest and felt how their heart rhythmically beats in synch.

 

It’s the comfort she seeks longingly.

 

Like all along, he’s the one whom she restlessly looking for.

 

Her King.

 

“I promise. I’ll always protect you. I’ll be here for you.”

 

He caresses her locks with a hand as he leans, kissing her crown.

 

“I love you, Jen.”

 

She looks up and endearingly cups his face.

 

“I love you too.”

 

It was a perfect bliss, muddled by a love she hadn’t known to come.

 

A story of a happy ending.           

 

Almost.

 

For all those glitters he’d brought to her life.

 

They weren’t true.

 

Lies.

 

A trick.

 

For he’s not her king.

 

He’s the jester.

 

The Fool.

 

He disappears, smoked out like a magic show.

 

A spectacle she has yet to see.

 

It began.

 

Presenting to her…

 

A sinful view.

 

She beheld it.

 

How he broke all his promises.

 

Half- bodies entangled with each other.

 

She views it all in open.

 

The desire of her lover incited with a stranger.

 

His passionate kisses, his husky moans…and the eager of his hips.

 

Torturing her.

 

Breaking her piece by piece.

 

Its shard piercing her wretchedly.

 

She couldn’t breathe, desperately huffing air with choked inhales.

 

She defeatedly fell into her knees, clamping a hand over to stop her cries.

 

She tries contain it.

 

She couldn’t.

 

The pain…was too much.

 

That no matter how hard she stood, to fight back, she’d always be strike down with force.

 

She couldn’t see.

 

Her eyes blurring from tears, wracking her body with a violent tremble. It coursed down her cheeks, flowing endlessly, as her lungs started to burn.

 

Barely allowing a breath to be drawn.   

 

She surrenders.

 

It didn’t stop.

 

The scene shifted abruptly.

 

She…was surrounded.

 

“Look. She’s like a statue. She's shocked that someone finally beat her.”

 

Voices plagued her incessantly.

 

“The Queen is now dethroned huh?”

 

An unending misery.

 

“You look pathetic.”

 

She froze.

 

She instantly looks up.

 

It’s her.

 

Towering over her.

 

It’s Lisa…

 

Looking down at her with those dark eyes.

 

“I think that you’re the type who gives her all for others even it means you got nothing left for yourself.”

 

Lisa lifted her face with a finger, forcing their eyes to make contact.

 

She smirks heinously and continues.

 

“You would rather take the pain than letting others experience it.”

 

Lisa cups her chin with her fingers, pressing onto it before shoving her face to side.

 

“It’s so stupid.”

 

She felt her eyes stung from her tears, obscuring her vision, but…she still sees Lisa.

 

Walking out from her, flitting back to the darkness.

 

And despite it all those unkind words.

 

Despite how her body constricts in grief.

 

Despite whatever left for her was already burned to ashes.

 

She still believes in Lisa.

 

She’s…not like them.

 

And it’s all she’s clinging to.

 

She reaches out to her, raising a hand and croaks weakly.

 

 “Help m-me, Lisa.”

 

She waits, her heart hammering when Lisa halted her steps.

 

Lisa didn’t look back at her and utters.

 

“I don’t care, My Queen.”

 

She lowers her hand.

 

She was wrong, mistaken on giving out her heart once again.

 

The pain… finally engulfs her.

 

She gave up.

 

Blacking out.

 

She’s closes her eyes and retires.

 

She was slipping away.

 

And somehow, she felt relieved.

 

She knew that...

 

She’s dying.

 

“JENNIE-AH!!”

 

A shout.

 

“JENNIE!! JENNIE!!”

 

A tugging.

 

“I’m here!! PLEASE!!! DON’T!!!”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter