CHAPTER 22: Light

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[WARNING: Language and Theme]

I wholly accept it. This punishment for my sins.

And I deeply apologize.

For you have loved, this tainted heart of mine.

 

“Do you have any questions?”

 

The question hung around them. Jisoo surveys the occupants of the room, nodding, before shutting off the projector that’s displaying the last slide of her presentation.

 

“That’s all for today, then. Thank you for coming. I’ll see you all at the Decathlon.” Jisoo bows at them and smiles. “Let’s give our best.”

 

With the meeting ending, the student council members and leaders of the Decathlon headed for the exit. Taking the seat beside Jennie, Jisoo plopped at the chair with a heavy sigh, exhaustion painting her features.

 

“Nice work, Pres.” Jennie nodded at the president, eyes fixed at her laptop, tapping away notes and details from the meeting.

 

“Thanks.” Jisoo said before asking. “Have you seen Chaeng?”

 

“Music Club.” Jennie replied and adds. “But she’ll be back soon.”

 

Jisoo nodded back.

 

A knock came around and was soon followed by the creaking of the door as it opens.

 

“Who wants some coffee?” Lisa asked from the door, balancing two cups of coffee.

 

Jennie smiled at the sight of her girlfriend, promptly easing the tediousness of her day.

 

“I’d love one. Thank you.”

 

“For you.” Lisa handed Jennie her cup. Tilting her head to the side, she asks. “What happened to her?”

 

Jennie turns to her seatmate, who’s now dozing off with her arms crossed against the long table.

 

“Just leave it here.” Jennie took the other cup too and places it to the side, mumbling a hushed reply. “She’s tired. We had so many meetings today.”  

 

Lisa nodded in understanding and took the seat to Jennie’s right.

 

Ceasing from her work, Jennie cups her chin with a hand and grins at her girlfriend.

 

“You’re so sweet. Did you know that?”

 

Lisa mirrors her smile.

 

“And you’re discovering that just now?”

 

Jennie shrugs and took a sip at her coffee.

 

“I’m glad then. That you’re mine now.”

 

The compliment worked as Lisa looks away with a slight blush, immediately changing the topic. “Sir Taeyang said that I’ll be teamed up with you and Jisoo.”

 

“Ah. I’m sorry. I forgot to tell you about him.” Jennie apologized and places her cup down. “He’s our club advisor for Mathematics. He didn’t give you a hard time, did he?”

 

Lisa shakes her head. “No. It’s good. He just gave me the pointers to study and taught me some difficult problems.”

 

Jennie agrees with a nod. “Most it were already discussed in the first sem. Actually the Finals and Decathlon have somewhat the same topics, with the Decathlon covering some advance topics.”

 

“So when we came over to your apartment…you weren’t studying for the Finals?” Lisa asked, elaborating. “But for the Decathlon? Because, you know, we didn’t have Math for our finals.”

 

“Yeah.” Jennie answered as she recalls. “Remember the emergency meeting? Turns out our hunch was right. Many of the students backed out from being the representatives for the Decathlon. That includes the Mathematics and Sciences fields too. And yeah…Jisoo-unnie volunteered to be one of the replacements. She’ll be on our team. And we ended up planning to study the Finals on the weekdays and the Decathlon for the weekends.”

 

“I see. That’s why she asked me to help her too.”

 

Jennie nodded and says. “We needed to study in advance because we’re also busy with organizing the event, from meetings, itinerary and coordination with other schools. I’m just glad Chaeng managed to convince you. What did she say by the way?”

 

“Nothing.” Lisa replied in an instant. “Not much. Yeah.”   

 

“AH!”

 

Jisoo suddenly sat up straight, jolting them both from their seats.

 

“Unnie!” Jennie loudly reprimanded.

 

Jisoo turns to Jennie, informing her.

 

“I forgot to tell you.”

 

The president stretched out her arms, yawning as she forms her next sentence.

 

“The results of the finals were already posted.”

 

 

“Hey. I’d like to ask. Is…” Lisa trails off as they walk past the hallways that situates the rooms of the freshmen.

 

“Yeah?” Jennie urged her, phone in hand, typing away a reply to one of the Student Council members regarding the meeting.

 

“Is Jisoo and Chaeyoung…dating?”

 

Jennie turns to Lisa, smiling. “Yep. I think a month ago? I forgot.” She slid her phone into her pockets and locks arms with her girlfriend, asking. “What gave it away?”

 

“They kinda gave off the vibes of an old couple.”

 

“I know right?” Jennie agrees completely. “They’re really compatible.” 

 

“With Jisoo being the prankster.” Lisa stated.

 

“And Chaeng being the one who bounds her when things get out of hand.” Jennie finishes.

 

“Don’t worry.” Lisa let loose from her hold, and instead, intertwines their fingers. “We’re kinda a thing too, you know?”

 

“Sure. Sure.” Jennie teased. “Whatever you say.”

 

Lisa lifts a brow.

 

“Just don’t cry at the results when I beat you.”

 

Yet it wasn’t the outcome that they were both expecting, as they soon stood in front of the announcement board.

 

And Jennie could feel the eyes from all the students that gathered there, all wedged towards them, spanning their own expressions, from confusion to expectant gazes from what will be their own reaction.

 

***

FINALS – (Seniors)

100.00 %         Kim, Jennie   98.32 %         Lee, Hayi   98.03 %         Bang, Yedam   96.81 %         Manoban, Lalisa   94.47 %         Go, Joon Hee   93.81 %         Kim, Jisoo   93.65 %         Kim, Hanbin   93.13 %         Nam, Taehyun   92.90 %         Hi, Suhyun   92.11 %         Kang, Seungyoon

           

***

 

It wasn’t long before Jennie stormed off with heavy steps.

 

Enraged on what she had just seen.

 

“Hey! Jennie! Wait!”

 

She could hear Lisa’s shouts, but she deliberately ignores it.

 

Lisa tugs at her wrist, inhibiting her from walking away.

 

Jennie faces her.

 

Her lips lined into silence, but her eyes blaring back her confined anger.

 

“Hey.” Lisa starts. “I didn’t – ”

 

Jennie cuts her off, falling back from her initial pose of passiveness into setting off her own indignation.

 

“What happened, huh? Did you purposely messed up just because we’re dating?”

 

“What? No!” Lisa defended herself.

 

“Then why?! Why aren’t you #1?!”

 

Lisa blinked back, timidly replying.

 

“Aren’t you supposed to be happy…that you got 1st place?”

 

“Answer me, Manoban.”

 

“I lost my history book.” Lisa mumbled her reply, shrinking back as she looks down. “And I haven’t read…the last few topics.”

 

“Is that even true?!”

 

“I’m not lying. I promise.”

 

“Then text me! Or call me! For Pete’s sake. I could always lend you my books.” Jennie howled back.

 

Lisa stared at her in incredulity.

 

“Wow. You really are mad.”

 

Jennie closes her eyes, her tone delving into a lowered one.

 

“I’m giving my best. And I…want you to do the same.”

 

She retracts and held Lisa’s gaze with her own.

 

“I want you to be the best of you.” 

 

 

A day before the Decathlon

6:41 pm

 

The Academic Decathlon consists of 10 areas: art, economics, language, literature, mathematics, music, science, history, economics and social sciences. It’s a two-day event wherein the first day is for the Elimination round which will reduce the number of competing schools into five. This involves an individual assessment or an examination of each representative which will be then weighed in average for each school. The top 5 schools with the highest average will move forward into the Final round which will be held on the last day. It is where all representatives are gathered and grouped by schools into the stage which involves answering or solving problems given by the event’s host as it is also be administered by a panel of judges.

 

The representatives and facilitators of YG were already on their way to the place of the event, all boarded by a bus. Jennie glances around and sighs heavily, taking note that most of them were just substitutes of the club members that backed out from the competition. That for both Mathematics and Science, she’s only the club member left to compete for the event, but somewhat thankful that they’ve managed to pull Hayi and Seungyoon to join her as the representatives for the Science field.

 

Few hours later, they’ve finally arrived at the grounds of the event, a five star-hotel that houses the most luxurious rooms and expansive convention centers.

 

Her schoolmates were already making their way to their own rooms after being given their respective card keys, their group, however, was halted at the reception area of the hotel.

 

“What do you mean by that?” Hayi asked the receptionist.

 

“I’m sure we’ve booked her into our group.” Jisoo added and stood beside Hayi.  

 

The receptionist checked Jennie’s card key once more and replies with a bow.

 

“I’m sorry. But we forgot to inform you that the room wasn’t for four. So we’ve transferred one of you to one of the rooms available.”

 

“It’s okay.” Jennie interrupted, perceiving that they were all tired from the trip.

 

She smiles kindly at the receptionist and took the card from her.

 

“You sure about this?” Lisa asked.

 

“Yeah.” Jennie answered with a nod. She hugged each of them goodbye before saying. “Good night. I’ll see you all tomorrow.”

 

Jennie treaded to the hallway on the left and took the elevator. She pushes the button to the floor of her room and soon trudges off after it opens up with a ring.

 

She knocked at the door of her designated room. Hearing no response after a series of knocks, she went ahead and slides the card key, trundling the door open.

 

Only to find a pale, half- girl with pitch black locks, in the middle of wearing her skimpy nightgown.

 

Jennie was quick to shut the door.

 

“I’M SORRY!” She shouted back, blushing hard from embarrassment.

 

“It’s good! You can come in now.”

 

Jennie pushes back the door open, eyes deeply set to the ground.

 

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to –”

 

“Jennie?”

 

“Excuse me?” Jennie looked up, noticing a pair of rounded eyes glistened back to her in glee. “I’m sorry. I don’t know – ”

 

“It’s me Irene.”

 

Jennie felt how the girl quickly wrapped around her with a tight hug.

 

“Irene Bae.”
 

 

First day of the Decathlon
 

The scent of perfume that’s wafted across the room woke her up from her slumber. Jennie sat up and rubs the sleep from her eyes with the back of her hand. She yawns and stretches up her arms, only to recognize that Irene was already dressed on her school uniform, seated across the bed next to her.

 

“Hi. Good morning.”  Irene greeted her with a smile, pausing quick, all in the middle of applying her makeup.

 

“Morning.” Jennie replies simply, still disconcerted on what to react with this girl who’s acting all too familiar with her. And yesterday didn’t gave anything away to this girl’s identity, as Irene elects to wear that mysterious air around her, smiling at her in a sportive way when asked.

 

Is she my relative? She even knows my name.

 

Though, there’s one thing Jennie was sure of, and it’s the fact that this girl came from their rival school, SM High, as she took note of Irene’s uniform.

 

Jennie stood and grabs her own robe. She walks past Irene and opens the bathroom door, opting to take a shower. She faintly hears the closing of their room’s door, evincing that Irene must have gone outside.

 

Once done, she dresses into her school uniform – the official attire for the competition – and poses in front of a bathroom’s mirror as she applies a light makeup. She purses her lips and stares at her reflection, satisfied at her own look, as she nods in approval.

 

Okay. Today’s the day.

 

She felt the elation of being given another shot and agitation from the pressure, all jumbled up into one.

 

Pronouncing to her that this is one of those important days.

 

She couldn’t let this opportunity to slip away.

 

A chance to make her parents to be proud of her.

 

Let’s win this.

 

Enliven with a vigor of encouragement, Jennie steers back to her bed and grabbed her purse. She strides to the door and opens it with a turn of its handle, but only to be greeted by Irene whose back was turned to her.

 

“I’ll call you back!” Irene exclaimed, noting Jennie’s presence. She slips her phone back to her pockets and quickly faces Jennie. “You good now?”

 

The thought that Irene was waiting for her hadn’t crossed Jennie’s mind, quick to mind that Irene already gone ahead of her.

 

Irene held Jennie’s hand, all with that perfect smile.

 

“Cmon! We got a lot of catching up to do.”

 

 

“You still don’t remember me?”

 

Jennie looked up from her breakfast – a plate of pancakes and French toasts – and stills her fork to the side.

 

“I’m sorry. Are you my cousin? Or…a relative?” Jennie answered in all honesty but Irene only scowls at her in disbelief.

 

“Yah! Are you serious?”

 

Jennie could only chuckle back.

 

She lifts her cup of coffee and took a sip, carefully threading her next response.

 

They were on the 15th floor, situating one of the dining areas of the hotel, expanding across the whole floor as it offers a variety of menus.

 

Pouting, Irene places both her hands at her now puffed cheeks, her words muffled as she utters. “Remember?”

 

Jennie’s eyes widened in recognition.

 

“Joohyun? You’re Joohyun right?”

 

Irene loudly huffed.

 

“Took you long enough.”

 

“Wha…You’re…You’re different.” Jennie proclaimed, convinced that she’s looking at another person, and not her classmate from Middle School, who was that shy, chubby girl framed with thick glasses and curly locks.

 

She never knew that quiet girl would grow into someone that gives off a reticent of confidence.

 

“I go by the name of Irene now. And…” Irene drew her look straight to Jennie, smiling. “You might not remember it…but…I want to thank you for standing up for me.”

 

Jennie recalls it.

 

Back to when she was called as the Ice Queen.

 

It was their freshman year in Middle School, and she hates to admit it, but it was her rebellious years.

 

Uncaring of what might happen, suffocated with all the rules placed upon her.

 

Despite it, she would never dare to cross the line of being a complete jerk, but it was then when that group of girls vowed to themselves that they were above anyone when Jennie completely hurls down into their level.   

 

That, she’s passive at it first, affirming that it was none of her business.

 

On how those girls would always tease Joohyun for her looks, calling her names. On how they’ll pull Joohyun’s hair, mouthing their disgust, but still, Joohyun wouldn’t fight back, flitting into silence. It wasn’t just that, they even had the nerve to ask for Joohyun’s money. Jennie hated it at first, how that shy girl wouldn’t do anything for herself, so she would always pass by them, ignoring them still.

 

But it’s when Joohyun came back to their room, sniffling – restraining her own sobbing – wearing her drenched PE uniform, her hair unruly, as it hides her face, that Jennie decided to break her own indifference to it.

 

She wields it, that sterned mask, as she bends down and helps Joohyun to retrieve her books, all torn up, ripped intentionally. She collects the strewn pages across their room, only to grip it tight when she stood next to Joohyun’s desk. Vandalized. All marked with foul names and horrid drawings.

 

A cackle came as the trio enters the room.

 

Their sneering directed to them.

 

Jennie approaches them.

 

And before they could even give out a reply.

 

She landed a clean punch at their leader’s face.

 

She stares down at her.

 

Her eyes darkening as it was only the start of the show.

 

A play to give them a taste of their own medicine.

 

“I remember it clearly. How you punched her before our PE class.” Irene laughed at memory.

 

“Learning aikido as a kid has its advantages, I guess.” Jennie answered, somewhat guilty of her actions.

 

“Were you suspended?”

 

“Yeah.” Jennie replied with a slight laugh, before saying. “But those girls were expelled. Their grievances were much worse than mine. I’ve written an incident report about what they’ve done to you and some of our schoolmates. And most of our classmates gave testimonies against them. YG’s better now, with them gone. But…I’m glad you’re okay now.”

 

Irene nodded at her and says.

 

“At first, I didn’t want to transfer to SM, but when my parents heard all about it, they’ve immediately pulled me out from our school. And…you might not consider me as one…but you’ll always be my friend that I’ll cherish forever.”

 

Irene met her eyes and mutters in all sincerity.

 

“And I’m glad I met you again.”

 

 

They’ve drifted back from the past to roving back to what’s happened to them till this day, catching up from each other stories, like old best friends.

 

“I’m guessing that guys still lined up for you. You must’ve gained more admirers now.” Irene teased.

 

Jennie denies, shaking her head. “Nah. I’m not that popular.”

 

“It’s true! I could always see how you have been always called out for a confession. Even by our seniors.”

 

Jennie looks up to her, imparting clearly.

 

“I have a girlfriend now.”

 

“Really?” Irene smiled at her, unperturbed, thrilled at the news. “What she’s like?”

 

“Well…she…” Jennie’s eyes wander off at the distance. “She’s sometimes stubborn but kind, intolerable at times, but really, really sweet, and she’s…someone who helped me to become a better person. To be honest and to dare to take chances."  

 

Jennie crosses her arms at their table and leans towards Irene.

 

“How about you? I’m guessing your heart is already held captive by someone.”

 

Irene’s eyes widened, her face painting a bright blush, a conflict with her pale skin.

 

“W-well…” Irene stammered. “T-that person is kinda like a bear. The –”

 

“Irene.”

 

A voice cuts off.

 

Jennie watched as Irene’s blush turned even brighter, her eyes averting to look at the person who suddenly approached their table, but managed to saunter a hand in gesture as she introduces her. 

 

“Jennie. This is my b-best friend S-seulgi.” Irene stuttered before fanning her face with a hand.

 

Jennie turns to Seulgi, who’s expression wears that guarded look, her left brow slightly raised, as her lips pursed disapprovingly.

 

Seulgi didn’t have time to reply as a familiar voice interrupts them.

 

A jealous tone similar to Seulgi.

 

“Jennie.”

 

 

8:41 am

 

“Lisa-yah.” Jennie uttered as she tails her girlfriend’s strides. “Hey. Won’t you talk to me?”

 

Finally gaining on her, Jennie held Lisa’s right wrist with a hand.

 

“Are you jealous?”

 

Lisa pauses from her walk and pulls away from Jennie’s hold in a yank.

 

“I’m not.”

 

Jennie stood still and watched Lisa’s retreating figure.

 

Okay. Wrong question.

 

She closes her eyes, upbrading herself at the question, but soon felt taps at her shoulders.

 

“Whoo.” Jisoo breathes out to her left and asked. “Lover’s quarrel?”

 

Hayi snickers to her other side.

 

“Yep. That’s one jealous pumpkin over there.”

 

Jennie didn’t pay them any attention and resumes back to walking. The duo accompanies her too, as they were all going to the same direction, towards the building wherein the opening of the competition will be held.

 

“Hey, I’ve been thinking. She’s jealous of Joohyun right?” Jisoo queried, indicating their former classmate.

 

Again. Jennie didn’t respond.

 

“And now…she’s on SM.” Hayi answered in sync with president.

 

“That means…” Jisoo giggled in delight.

 

The sentence was left abandoned as Hayi merely cheered with a laugh.

 

Jisoo pats her Jennie’s shoulder once more.

 

“You know what? Lisa might just win this competition for us.”

 

 

The silent treatment went on from the opening event up to their lunch. And with the competition drawing to its first round, they all went towards their assigned rooms, with each representatives of the schools being separated from each other.

 

Arriving at her designated room, Jennie took her assigned seat, situated at the last two rows.

 

She was the only one around, aware that she’s minutes early before the exam. She took out her phone and dialed Lisa’s number, but after a few rings it only parted to her that it’s unattended.

 

She decided to send her a text.

 

Call me back? After your exam?

 

She slumps at her chair before crossing her arms against the long table, eyes zoomed nowhere in particular.

 

“So you’re Jennie.”

 

Jennie sat up and turns towards the voice.

 

She recognizes her.

 

The one who she harbors that unknown jealousy of.

 

“I’m Tzuyu.”

 

Tzuyu held out her hand, smiling, her dimples deepening.

 

Jennie briefly shake hands with her, giving her a small nod.

 

“I guess this will be my seat then.” Tzuyu giggled as she took the seat to Jennie’s right, all too amused at their seating arrangement.

 

Jennie eyed Tzuyu from her head to toe, completely scrutinizing her, all girded by that animosity with someone she had just met.

 

She couldn’t hold it in, and imparts to Tzuyu, eyes staring straight ahead.

 

“I’ve been hearing a lot about you from Lisa.”

 

“Oooh. I like that.” Tzuyu cooed as she crosses her legs. “Specifically?”

 

Jennie lifts a shoulder.

 

“Nothing much. It’s just that you’re her boss and all.”

 

“She didn’t tell you?” Tzuyu huffed before chuckling.

 

“Tell what?” Jennie finally turns to Tzuyu, her face angled sideways as she bores her eyes into her seatmate.

 

“That I like her. So much. I even want to marry her.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter