CHAPTER 10: Last

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[WARNING for language/cursing]

I’m tired of wandering in love.

Won’t you come…

and make me yours already?

 

3rd day of the Cultural Festival

(1:15 p.m.)

 

The raucous ringing of her phone finally drew her out from her stupor. Hazily opening her eyes, Jennie idly extends an arm to her bedside as she tries to reach for the device. Nevertheless, her delusive attempt to grasp it was of failure due to her obstinate decision to be wrapped in a cocoon of blanket.

 

A vain protection as she tries to inundate herself to pity.

 

She waddled against the sheets of her bed and tries to seize her phone once more, its incessant ringing ailing her sensitive ears. She slowly got up – still swathed by her blankets – and propped herself to the side of her bed.

 

“What?” she feebly mewled at the caller, failing to notice its registered name.

 

“Well...someone’s gloomy.”

 

She bleakly sighed. “What is it Chaeng?”

 

“How was it?” Chaeyoung questioned her, all the while noticing the distinct excitement from her best friend’s tone.

 

She tries to recall their previous conversation to apprehend what her best friend was referring to as she probes in puzzlement.  

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Did you seduce her? You know. With that outfit of yours?”

 

She’d gone silent. Momentarily letting the question to be fathomed by her brain. She closes her eyes and wearily plops back to her bed.

 

“I’m gonna end this.”

 

“Wait! Don’t! I’m just kidding.” Chaeyoung hastily implored, nervously laughing through the line. Chaeyoung fell silent for a few seconds and asks her with caution. “Did…something happen?”

 

She drapes the blankets over her head, as if trying to hide from something – someone – before giving a reply.

 

“Jisoo-unnie…fired me.”

 

It wasn’t her fault, really, she would repeatedly assert in introspection. 

 

It wasn’t her fault that she has to wear that silly outfit while serving their customers. It wasn’t her fault that the plates she’s carrying turns into a clutter as it breaks into pieces.

 

And surely. it wasn’t her fault when she accidentally tripped over someone’s foot just to scald a customer’s lap with boiling coffee.

 

So, it really caught her by surprise when the president ‘fired’ her, saying she’s distracted and she should take the afternoon and last day of the cultural festival as a free day.

 

However, instead of heeding to her best friend’s suggestion, she’d spend the days from being terminated at the comforts of her bed.

 

“Where are you now?”

 

“Apartment.”

 

“Come here. Visit our booth.” Chaeyoung beamed in suggestion but Jennie hung her best friend’s words in silence, her glazed eyes vacantly staring at a space within her room.

 

Not hearing a reply, Chaeyoung added in persuasion. “And after my shift, I’ll treat you at the booths. It’s a date.”

 

She hears a sigh as her best friend uttered, concern evident in her voice.

 

“It’s better than sulking.”

 

Jennie hoisted herself up and smiles in resignation, mentally noting the crease that was now forming in her best friend’s forehead at the other end of the line.

 

“I’m on my way.”

 

 

(2:03 p.m.)

 

“How do I look?” Chaeyoung asked her, springing from the classroom to greet her with outstretched arms.

 

Jennie halts and gave her best friend a once-over. With her silk black hair straightened out, her bloodied white dress hung into her rather elegantly despite its stains, flowing into the floor as it cascades with a feathery like trance. She looks up to her as to notice her best friend’s white teeth were now seemingly fixed with fangs, cheekily smiling at her despite the blood that trails from the side .

 

“Stunning.” Jennie muttered unconvincingly.

 

She pats her shoulder with a hand and enters the classroom, curious on the booth that the Juniors have built.  

 

“That sounds so insincere.” Chaeyoung whined at her but she still held her gaze at the classroom, impressed on its conversion into a haunted room. Chaeyoung trails to where she’s looking and smiles. “Cool, right? Wanna try?”

 

“Is it free?” Jennie bantered with a snicker.

 

“For you? Of course, it’s free. Gosh. I’ll do anything for that sour mood of yours.” Chaeyoung shakes her head in exaggeration.

 

“My…what a true friend you are.”

 

“Indeed I am.” Chaeyoung jeered with a smile.

 

“But sadly…” Jennie clicks and glanced sideways, perceiving the familiar student council member. “…duty calls.”

 

The said student bows at her slightly as a greeting and shifted his attention to Chaeyoung, somewhat bearing a troubled look.  

 

“The principal wants to talk with all the members of the student council. The meeting will be at his office.” He heaves a sigh and continues. “Something about…the burned booth and injuries sustained by one of the students…and their customers too.”

 

Chaeyoung carped dryly, unable to cease her exasperation.

 

“That again huh? I’ll be there in a moment. I’ll just change.”

 

The student nodded at Chaeyoung and bows at them both before taking his leave. Chaeyoung turns to her and she can already sense her best friend’s chagrin with those apologetic eyes.

 

“Unnie –”

 

“It’s okay.” Jennie interrupted with a smile. She gave Chaeyoung a small hug and whispers. “You owe me a date Park Chaeyoung.”

 

Chaeyoung heartily laughed, entertained at the way Jennie quips her full name. “How about a proxy then?”

 

Jennie placed a finger at the side of to give an impression of even considering the offer. “Depends on the hotness of the proxy.”

 

She waves a hand at her best friend and made her way to the exit. “Bye.”

 

“Take care unnie!”

 

Jennie reels back a look and gave her a nod.

 

She lumbers to the windows and peers to the booths that were lined up outside, mentally perceiving the throng of visitors which seems to elude of ever attenuating despite it being already the last day of the cultural festival. She saunters the hallways lazily as she glances around.

 

And like a stunt of caprice, her eyes elected to lay upon the people around her. Flouting to her their faces painting with joy.

 

She witnessed couples huddled together, a comforting smile gracing their lips, friends who were busy chattering with each other, bantering and loudly laughing at one of the booths.

 

“Dad…Mom! Let’s go there!”

 

She hears a bubbly call once she’d exited their department’s building. She strays a look and could clearly see…

 

A picture of a happy family.

 

Grinning ecstatically, the boy run up to his parents and hauls them with his hands. To which his parents just chuckled lightly and obliged on being dragged by their enthusiastic child.  

 

It was a scenario that she’d always dream about.

 

That for once in her life.

 

She wished for her parents…could spare her a proud smile.

 

She shakes her head lightly, suddenly aware on how she stopped her tracks just to linger her gaze. She resumes her walk and decides that it’s best for her to go back to her apartment.

 

What am I…even thinking?

 

The atmosphere of the festival was and always been this way but this time she felt more…vulnerable.

 

Sensitive.

 

Her fervent mind was recurring an imagery on how she’s failed…with almost all of her relationships.

 

“Jen.”

 

She stilled upon hearing that voice, calling her with that same endearment once more.

 

An endearment…

 

From her first love.

 

 

Jennie cluelessly wonders as to why her ex, suddenly wants to have a talk with her, mentally debating with herself on what she’d done for him to approach her so imploringly.

 

She restlessly squirms around the bench that Bobby lead her into, tapping her foot incessantly as she waits for his return.

 

It was actually the best place to relax into after exploring and buying around the booths – the trees providing a relaxing shade as the gentle breeze idly drifts by – but Jennie felt more nervous, than that of comfort.

 

“Hey. Here you go.” Bobby came up to her, handing her out a drink on what seems to be a shake.

 

“Thanks.” She shortly replied as she took the drink. Bobby took the seat beside her and bows at her slightly.

 

“I’m sorry…for taking your time. It’s just…there’s something I want to talk to you about.” He muttered apologetically. Jennie fixed her look onto his and nods.

 

“It’s okay. At least I got this for free.” she joked and raises the drink. She took a sip from its straw and closes her eyes, playfully her lips like a liquor connoisseur. “Is this milk flavored?”

 

Bobby covered his face with a hand and laughs.

 

“You’re still the same. And here I am nervous for nothing.”

 

I’m nervous too! she internally appeals, idly joking around just to turn the atmosphere to a more comforting one.

 

She looked at him with a cheeky smile and asks. “Yah! What do you mean I’m still the same?”

 

The question only made him to act in taciturn – tight-lipped – as he turns his head away and looks down into his lap.

 

Okay. Wrong question.

 

Having this small talk, she’d thought that everything would be fine between them. Moreover, their closure – which was civil enough against a loud outcry of blaming – was already a proof that they could still be friends despite of their past.

 

Why is he…acting this way?

 

She places her drink to the side and draws her look into his hands. She’d somewhat caught its light movement – slightly shaking against his lap.

 

Jennie slowly rests a hand upon his, soothing its shaking. She tilts her head to the side as to draft his look into hers.  

 

“I heard about...your engagement.”

 

That finally caught his attention. He quickly opens his mouth to explain but he closes it just as quick.

 

“It’s Hanbin, isn’t it?” He asked.

 

She avoided his look.

 

“I just heard it from...some of the students actually.”

 

His brows shot up but all the while nods his head as to approve her failure in lying. He looks down as he turns his body to side as to face her.

 

“How do you feel about it?”

 

She slowly nods and beams at him with a smile, answering in all honesty.

 

“I’m happy for you…I really am. I’m glad you’d finally found the girl, the right one. And... You’re not even a high school graduate but you wanted her to marry already. I guess you really love her huh?”

 

Bobby just smiled grimly.

 

“It’s an arranged marriage actually.”

 

What?

 

It took her a moment for his statement to settle within her. Fueled by a sudden animosity, she blurted out her conjecture.

 

“What?! I thought….Ugh.” She frustratingly placed a hand at her head to ease its throbbing and continues her protest. “Mar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter