CHAPTER 18: Home (1/2)

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

‘Save me’ she utters in her deep slumber.

Hoping that someone could hear her.

A plea for a love, that won’t ever wane again.

 

Jennie closes her eyes, pondering at how she’s bad at making choices. Wherein, she’d constantly find herself in between unexpected circumstances. And most of it, she huffed at the thought before correcting herself, no all of it, would always involve Lisa.

 

Being dragged by the blonde, involuntarily so, was easy. But stepping foot, barely – she supposes, at the Manoban’s household was a feat that Jennie couldn’t handle.

 

Why am I so nervous?

 

She stood in front of the gates, unmoving. Her eyes glued to the ground as uneasiness starts to settle in her stomach, shifting back to her anxious thoughts.

 

Geez.

It’s not like I’ve done anything wrong to Lisa.

Heck. If it comes to that, then it’s her fault!

 

Jennie lifts her head and finally turns her attention to her companion, who unlike her, wore an impatient look. Her eyebrows lifted as her arms were crossed, signaling that same curt attitude Jennie knew of.

 

“What?” Lisa bored to her in a huff.

 

Right. It’s her fault.

And hey. I’m just going to meet her mother, right?

Tssh. It’s no big deal.

 

She nodded convincingly. More confident now.

 

But that other voice needs to yell it loud.

 

It’s like…

Meeting up with your mother-in-law.

 

She nods in agreement.

 

Huh?

 

She stilled.

 

W-w-what????

 

Jennie blushed bright red. Heat rising up in her cheeks as she could only hope that Lisa didn’t took notice on how she looked right now. She couldn’t face her like this. Not with her mind straying and spouting words she shouldn’t thought of in the first place.

 

There was a sudden pull. And before she knows it, she was being dragged by the blonde again.

 

“Oh geez cmon! Let’s go!” Lisa didn’t even heed to her approval as she open up the gates. They were nearing the porch when she finally pries her hand loose from Lisa’s hold.

 

“What is it now?” Lisa demanded, stressing out her words, abruptly stopping as to face her.

 

“Just. Just give me a sec.” she lifts a finger, trying to calm her beating heart.

 

“Will you just get over it!” Lisa carped at her in exasperation. Jennie sharply perceived it, how Lisa’s irate eyes instantly darkens into that of hurt. 

 

Lisa faces her before turning her head to the side, like she’s embarrassed on what she’ll say to her next. Her words delving lower, still, Jennie could distinctly hear it.

 

The dejection apparent from Lisa’s tone. 

 

“I know…our house is small and – ”

 

“NO! It’s not!”

 

Her words were quick to stop the blonde.

 

She coughed awkwardly, mimicking Lisa as she also turns her head to the side. Realizing her response came more as a shout. 

 

“I mean…”

 

Jennie quickly tilts her head, regressing her look as she finally surveys the area.

 

It was a typical home.

 

A suburban house with a porch at its entrance. It’s woodened flooring evident from a distance as its railings were designed to run from the corner post of the house to the stairs that would lead up to the door of the house. 

 

It was then when she finally understood Lisa’s actions. She noticed it. The small cracks on the sides of the stairs, the dilapidated deckings, and the rusted grid near the windows.

 

“It’s…” Lisa mumbled lowly.

 

Jennie took her hand before Lisa could utter any words. She circles her thumb against Lisa’s palm, reassuring her. 

 

Dummy.

 

She didn’t said it aloud but she simply bit her lower lip, opting to tease blonde once more.

 

“Worried that I’m turned off? I've already told you. I'll never be turned off.” Jennie cracks a smile, knowing beforehand the blonde’s reaction.

 

“W-w-what are you saying?” Lisa stutters back.

 

Jennie tangles their fingers, ceasing to give her reply for a minute.

 

Seemingly flitting back in a quandary.

 

Lost. Yet knowingly aware of her choice.

 

It was that same plight she’d felt back then, back when they were dancing. It was that incomprehensible feeling of disbelief and repose – incongruous but unfeigned from ever being false – on how she’s come to known on how fitting they are for each other, akin to a past that only came known.

 

Roused by merely holding her hand, being enclosed within her embrace or by simply staring at her dark eyes.

 

It felt like…

 

“It’s home.”

 

She utters clearly, both dazed as they settled in that same transfixion.

 

Drawing them in.

 

They’ve must’ve stood there for minutes, staring at each other and not uttering any words.

 

It was crazy, she thought. On how she finds out that Lisa was the only person that ravels these feelings within her, easily plying with her senses.

 

But now, it turned her into that same muddled state.

 

That same blushing mess she is now. 

 

“W-will she…like the cake?” Jennie asked out of the blue, pulling back her hand from Lisa’s and pointed out to the forgotten box Lisa was carrying with her other hand.

 

It was a flustered move, as it was the only topic her perplexed brain could only come up in the moment.

 

Lisa tilts her head to the side in confusion, but nodded just as quick, comprehension crossing her features.

 

“S-she will.” Lisa fumbles with her words, tucking her hair behind her ears with a hand before shyly smiling, seemingly embarrassed, that she too was caught in staring too long.

 

Gosh.

 

Jennie could only guess that Lisa was unaware of it.

 

On how she’s able to pull off a cute yet at the same time seductive gesture by simply pushing back her hair behind her ears, nor on how she could make Jennie’s heart raced at the sight.

 

Is this aegyeo? This is aegyeo, right? I hate her. Gosh I hate her.

 

Lisa looks up to her an added, a slight blush tracing across her features. “Thank you.”

 

Jennie couldn’t utter a response as she could feel the heat creep up at the back of her neck too.

 

“Lisa? Is that you?”

 

They b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter