CHAPTER 7: Festival (1/2)

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Forsake all your fears.

For love isn’t a mere child’s play.

It’s for someone who is brave enough to bear its scars.

 

Last Day of Midterms

Wednesday (11:51 p.m.)

 

The timer that was set up by their proctor reverberated loudly across the room. It’s loud tone alarming almost all of the occupants as it signals the end of the time allotted for their exam.

 

“Times up.” Daesung addressed the class with a clear tone and stood from his chair. “Please finalize your answers.”

 

At the announcement, students hurriedly jotted down their answers with the hope of luck being on their side. Taking the chance – although minimal – to have correct answers from the tedious exams.

 

The steadfast motion which enamors the room was contrary to the nonchalance that Jennie gives off, scanning her paper with a poised composure. A mask to hide the anxiety that was bubbling inside her.

 

She’d already expected the questions that will be on the test. It was mostly consisted of the arduous and complex examples that their teacher had given them. Consequently, a considerable portion of her time took up analyzing and solving the problems.

 

A difficulty she couldn’t deny.

 

If only she had enough time to solve as many problems during the past few days, she wouldn’t face this dilemma.

 

Cramming was definitely out of her list.  

 

The room was soon filled with rustling noise as the students passed their papers. Murmurs and groans of disapproval by majority of the class soon followed as their proctor collects the papers. An implied response to their answers in the exam after realizing the errors they’ve made.

 

“Settle down. I have a few announcements to make before I dismiss you.” Daesung once again stood in front while arranging the papers he’d collected. “It’s about the upcoming cultural festival.”

 

At the mention of the festival, Jennie momentarily paused from her pensive thoughts and straightened her posture.

 

The event was one of the things she’d always look forward to each year. And somehow, she couldn’t contain her excitement.

 

She’s like a little kid whenever the event would take place and she can’t help but let out a small smile as she recalls the previous festivals.

 

She would appreciate the little things, from the cheap yet tasty delicacies of each booth to the banners and balloons which garnishes the school – inciting a festive mood to which it surrounds. 

 

And of course, she’s most excited about their ‘class participation’ on the said festival. To which her class would often put up a booth or a presentation that will stood out from the rest.

 

And to say that her class was competitive was a complete understatement.

 

Consequently, she would often find herself being dragged around by the ideas her classmates would come up with.

 

From the most bizarre to the most outrageous ideas..

 

But last year, was definitely a festival she won’t ever forget.

 

Putting a hand under her chin, Jennie bit her lower lip as she silently guessed on what her teacher’s announcement will be about.

 

“I believe that you all know what happened last year.” Daesung asseverated in a serious tone as he austerely looked at his class.

 

Despite their proctor’s sternness, the class simultaneously burst into a laughing mess as they recalled the event.

 

Her hunch was right, and she’s trying really hard to keep a straight face despite the roaring laughter of her classmates.

 

During their Junior high, class 2-1 and 2-2 decided to have a concurrence for the Cultural festival. And after a long debate between the two class, they’ve decided on presenting a play for the festival.

 

It’s was a classic play. The typical Romeo and Juliet theater piece.

 

As such, the group was divided into various committees to achieve efficiency regarding the presentation of the play. The coordination of the two class led up to the play being set up with the glamour of vintage splendor. Wherein, the stage was furnished with props made with meticulous precision, transforming the simple stage into a place that of the renaissance period. 

 

All was well at the center stage, but at the backstage…

 

It was an utter chaos.

 

Hushed voices and a panic driven crowd was forming as the class president of both class, Jisoo and Bobby, were in the middle of a heated argument. 

 

It turns out that their lead actor and actress were late due to the traffic caused by the festival itself.

 

They have two choices: to back out on the presentation or to continue. And Bobby was determined to choose the latter to which Jisoo strongly opposes, arguing about the lines and the acting to be done to which the actor and actress only have knowledge of.  

 

Jennie thought back then that all their efforts would just be in vain. There’s no way someone in their class could have memorized the lines of Romeo and Juliet nor act out on it with such impromptu notice.

 

But the rowdy jock called out one his friends and gave the group a winning smile. His squinted eyes exhibiting a look that only spells one thing.

 

Mischief.

 

“Leave it to us.” Bobby confidently declared to Jisoo and quickly ran to the dressing room, dragging Hanbin along with him.

 

It was idiotic.

 

Leaving the play to “Bobby and Hanbin”

 

Idiotic.

 

But at the same time,

 

It was unexpectedly…entertaining.

 

Tearing down the stereotype of the play, Juliet was turned into a man dressed with a fitting white dress. Her bright blonde wig shining despite its unruliness, while Romeo was simply wearing a white shirt, jeans and loafers.

 

The audience was obviously shocked at the characters, but the moment Juliet – Bobby ­– and Romeo – Hanbin – opened their mouths as they act exaggeratedly, the theater room was filled with rambunctious laughter and gleeful howls.

 

The pair was natural at entertaining the crowd. Throwing jokes as they act and even modifying the script with adlibs such as excessive flirting and even flashing the crowd in a teasing manner.

 

It was a success.

 

And Jennie could even remember how hard she was clutching her stomach at that time due to excessive laughter.

 

The audience was definitely entertained that time. The standing ovation and the loud cheers given to them at the end of the play was a clear indication of it.

 

But their Principal remained in his seat with crossed arms. His impassive look clearly shows his disapproval on what just transpired.

 

“Last year. Your class and class 3-2 didn’t abide to the true meaning of the Cultural Festival.” Daesung muttered under his breath. He closes his eyes and rubs the side of his temple. “The principal was very disappointed at your presentation. A play must be presented with elegance and mastery as a sign of respect to the playwright.”

 

Their proctor’s statement instantly silenced the class as guilt started to gnaw on them.

 

Clearing his throat, Daesung continued sternly. “Your class won’t be allowed to join any other class. The same will done to class 3-2. Also, your class won’t be allowed to give any presentation anymore. You’re only allowed to put up a booth and strict compliance with rules are expected to be followed. Are we clear?”

 

Jennie nodded in unison with the class.

 

It was the first time she saw her teacher to express such disappointment in them. Far from the comedic and humorous teacher that Daesung has always been.

 

She can’t blame her proctor though. She can only imagine the lecture and nagging the teachers and the head committee received from the principal due to the incident.

 

“Hanbin? Are we clear?” Daesung repeated as he points out to his student at the back row.

 

“Y-yes S-sir.” Hanbin meekly replied to his teacher, obviously petrified at Daesung’s sharp stare. 

 

“Good.” Daesung nodded and turned to the class once again. “Please use the afternoon for you to have a meeting about the Cultural Festival and the days to come to prepare for it. Also, please expect the results of the Midterms to be posted maybe on Friday since we have no class for the next few days.”

 

The proctor gathered the papers and slings his bag at his shoulder. He was about to leave the classroom when he paused at the doorway of the classroom “Lastly…Your presentation…”

 

With his eyes gleaming knowingly, Daesung grinned widely at the class.

 

“It’s Daebak.”

 

That being said, the professor turned his heels and walked out the room. Leaving the class with blank and gaped expressions.

 

The class could only stare at the doorway. Not entirely sure on how to respond on what just happened.

 

“What the hell…” Hanbin was the first to react. He weakly slouched at his chair and uttered in embarrassment. “He got me there...”

 

A synchrony of laughter followed suit as relief washed over their faces, relieved that their teacher wasn’t really mad at them.  

 

Releasing a breath she’s unknowingly been holding, Jennie turned her head to the side and glanced at Hanbin, who was now being teased by his seatmates.

 

She’s glad he wasn’t given a punishment. If it wasn’t for him and Bobby, they wouldn’t be able to give any presentation.

 

She turned her back and gathered her things as her classmates started to leave the classroom with excited chatters – because finally their Midterm Examinations was over. She slung her bag with an arm and stood from her chair. She was about to walk out from the room when someone loudly shouted her name.

 

“Jennie!!” Hanbin called out while approaching the brunette. He threw an arm around her shoulders and playfully ruffled her hair.

 

“STOP IT!!” Jennie fumed as she tries to remove his arm, only to fail as Hanbin strengthened his hold. “You’re ruining my hair!!”

 

Hanbin only chuckled at her. “Cmon. I –” His words were cut off when he suddenly felt a painful jab at his waist.

 

“Seriously. Can’t you ask me like a normal person would.” Jennie amicably demanded while running a hand at her hair.  “You’re like your best friend. Bobby would always do that to me.” she sighed.

 

“Oooooooh…Bobby.” he cooed at the mention of his best friend’s name. He smiled wolfishly while clutching his pained waist. “Miss him already?”

 

She only stared at him, deadpanned. “What do you want Hanbin?”

 

He grinned and pointed out with his thumb. “Wanna hang out with us? Just like old times.”

 

“Us?” Jennie raised a brow. She followed the direction to where he’s beckoning at when she saw June leaning against the front desk. He gave her a small wave and returned scrolling through his phone. 

 

“Me and June. You could also invite your friends.” Hanbin clarified. “Not Bobby of course. Definitely no Bobby. Yep. Not that jerk.” He passively teased yet again.   

 

“Gosh. I’ve forgotten how annoying you are.” Jennie conceded with a small smile. She looked up to him and muttered apologetically. “I’m sorry. I’m kinda tired.”

 

She tucked a hair behind her ear and gazed downwards. “I haven’t gotten any decent sleep these past few days. I’m…sorry.” she apologized once again. Aware of the number of times she’d turned down his offer. She appreciates it. That of her being their best friend’s ex-lover, June and Hanbin would always reach out to her. Whether it was a simple greeting or a small talk about their studies.

 

“Hey it’s no big deal.” He assured her, giving the brunette his signature grin. “Some other time then?”

 

Jennie nodded at him. She moved her body to the side and called out to the man behind him. “June!! Sorry I can’t come.”

 

June looked up from his phone and gave her a nod.  “It’s okay. Careful on your way home.” he smiled kindly.

 

“I will.” She smiled back and turned her attention to Hanbin. “See ya, Romeo.”  She teased.

 

Jennie was about to turn when Hanbin quickly held her wrist.

 

“Oh.. and…” he trailed off. “Uhm…”

 

“Yes?” Jennie asked as she perceives the hesitancy in his words. She stared at him as he releases a shaky breath.

 

“Hanbin?” she asked once again.

 

She wasn’t used at his friend’s uneasiness.

 

It’s as if…he’s afraid for her, on whatever he's about to tell her.

 

“Hey? What is it?” she waves a hand at him.

 

And with the way he looked, something bad must have happened and she knows.

 

It’s something that involves her.

 

“Bobby.” He uttered silently. He glanced at her as he continues, closely studying her reaction. “He’s engaged with someone already.”

 

Jennie blinked back at him. Trying to process the words he’d said.

 

Bobby.

 

Their breakup wasn’t ideal.

 

It completely shattered her, that she couldn’t believe that love could be so painful.

 

She vaguely recalls how her best friends would always visit her apartment just to make sure she’s eating properly, because she knows they couldn’t bear her pitiful state.

 

For she’s just an idiotic buffoon who believed on the fantasy that love would last forever.

 

She could still recall how her shoulders would shake violently as she couldn’t control the tears that just won’t stop, because all of their promises…

 

Just turned into lies.

 

Burned in an inferno that was slowly engulfing her.

 

She remembers how she would drown herself in alcohol as to feel the numbness seep through her.

 

It ripped her heart open.

 

That she swears she’s at the point of insanity from the pain it caused.

 

It scarred her.

 

It made her gave up on the notion of love.

 

Too broken too love anymore.

 

Trapped in the delusion that she will always love him,

 

And that she couldn’t move on from him.

 

But right now…

 

Those feelings felt so foreign to her.

 

She’d expected at least to feel a slight pang of disappointment or bitterness.

 

But it was the opposite.

 

She’s…

 

Genuinely happy for him.

 

And somehow, she knows.

 

She’d moved on.

 

“Geez! I thought something bad happened!” Jennie shoved his shoulder with a hand. “I wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter