CHAPTER 4: Knight

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The regal White Queen.

The unpredictable Dark Knight.

Is it rivalry or is it love?

 

6:10 a.m.

 

The beaming rays of the sun started streaming down from the skies. Its soft light covering the school with an enthralling after glow. It was still early in the morning wherein students are still busy dozing off in their beds. Thus, the loud buzzing and chatters of the students was replaced by the soft humming of the birds and the cool breeze of spring wind. Giving the school a tranquil atmosphere.

 

It was a sight to behold.

 

But a certain blonde is trudging to the gates of the school with an irked expression. Her disheveled state made her look like she’s someone who hurriedly got up because she’s late for school.

 

The only thing is...She’s not late for her classes.

 

Taking her seat nearby the windows of the classroom, Lisa grudgingly placed her belongings on her chair. She couldn’t believe she erroneously read her alarm clock...again.

 

No wonder Mom looked at me funnily. And she didn’t stop me! she thought. The playful smirk of her mother was still clear in her head, taunting her silently.

 

Leaning into her desk, Lisa crossed her arms and placed her head atop of it. She closes her eyes as she tries to regain her lost sleep.

 

I want to sleep. I’m dead tired last night and that man keeps bullying me. She sighed as she remembers a mischievous pink haired man who keeps bullying her. Saying she’s a changed person and he wants to meet her lover already.

 

I swear. He’s a 5 year-old kid trapped in a man’s body.

 

Finally giving up in her futile attempt to sleep. She placed a hand under her chin and stared out the windows of their classroom.

 

She still couldn’t get over with the teasing she received from the playful man.

 

Why do people are in a rush to find love anyway? Mindlessly picking a person just because of their infatuations.

 

Then what? They’ll just be left broken hearted and cry miserably.

 

They should just wait for the right person.

 

She chuckled at her own thoughts. A big talk for someone who has no experience about love. Yet, she can’t deny that some part of her wants to experience it.

 

She’s curious on what would it feel like.

 

Will I...ever find it?

 

Will I ever meet that person?

 

Will I ever...fall in love?

 

Love.

 

It’s a concept she will never understand no matter how hard she comprehends it. She doesn’t even know if she can go out from her comfort zone and took a plunge in it.

 

She doesn’t know if she could take the risk.

 

The risk to fall in love with someone irrevocably.

 

Ugh. Why do I even think about it?

 

She just sighed in resignation and finally turned her attention to her surroundings…

 

Only to smile involuntarily when she saw a familiar brunette entering their school.

 

With her luscious brown locks swaying slowly as she walks, Jennie looked like she’s the CEO of a multi-million firm. Her calm and confident aura made her school blazer look like it’s a formal attire in a cocktail dinner party.

 

Her fixate stare to her path gives her a striking look.

 

A look that would make a passerby to stare in awe.

 

And it seems like...Lisa is one of them.

 

Beautiful…

 

Lisa mindlessly thought as she continues her stare.

 

It was after a few minutes when she finally realized what she’d thought. Widening her eyes at her sudden realization, she shakes her head in denial.

 

Okay. That not’s me.

 

“I just like teasing her...That’s all.” Lisa said to no one in particular while she nods her head in approval.

 

Besides...she’s so pathetic.

 

She’s so kind.

 

I hate it.

 

She’s...

 

“Why are you here?!” Jennie exclaimed with an accusing finger, interrupting Lisa’s thoughts.

 

Looking up to the doorway of the classroom, Lisa can’t help but smile reflexively whenever she sees Jennie’s flustered face or annoyed features.

 

It’s like her day won’t be complete if she didn’t make the brunette mad.

 

Crossing her legs, Lisa replied with a smirk. “I’m your classmate.”

 

“I mean why are you here so early in the morning?!” Jennie asked with a loud tone, clearly shocked on seeing the blonde.

 

“I wanted to be a good student like yourself.” Lisa sneered. Pressing a finger on her left cheek, she continued mockingly. “Oh wait, I forgot. Hmm...last week…You just ditched the morning class and...hmmm...you were...late for 2 hours. No...I think it’s more than that.”

 

“That wasn’t me!” Jennie denied embarrassingly. “Geez! It’s so early in the morning yet you’re annoying me.”

 

“What? I’m just-”

 

“Stop. Stop.” Jennie interrupted as she raises both of her hands. “Nu-uh. I won’t talk to you. No. Talking.” She turned her back and took her seat beside Lisa. Jennie then started reading her book as she completely ignores Lisa.

 

This just made the gears in Lisa’s mind to turn playfully. Moving her chair in order to face Jennie properly, she remarked. “I see I see. You’re studying early in the morning. Getting a heads up before class is about to start huh?”

 

Silence.

 

“You really are a good student.” Lisa slowly leaned in and started staring at Jennie who is masked with concentration, oblivious to what she's saying.

 

Minutes soon passed by. The scribbling of pen and the flipping of pages can only be heard in the room. But Lisa doesn’t seem to mind, she’s busy observing Jennie who is solving a problem in her textbook.

 

Heh. She’s biting her lip. I bet she doesn’t know the answer. Lisa silently guessed after seeing Jennie’s scrunched up face. “No wonder some of our classmates calls you ‘Queen’. Hmm...Queen Bee? You know...because bees are hardworking.”

 

Jennie just continues on writing in her notes. She was still in her own world. A world wherein the blonde is inexistent.

 

Unfazed with Jennie’s actions, Lisa continued while gazing at Jennie’s long eyelashes. “I’m betting you’re always early in the morning. You're really hardworking. I wonder why you’re giving it your all.”

 

Like a little kid in a magic show.

 

Lisa felt like she’s in a trance.

 

And it seems like Jennie was the one who casted the spell at her.

 

She notices the little details of the brunette's face...from the mole above her eye...to her faint yet cute dimples. Their close proximity made Lisa memorize it all. 

 

Forever engraving it into her memory.

 

Tucking a stray lock in Jennie’s ear, Lisa murmured softly...completely captivated at Jennie’s silent elegance.

 

“You really are beautiful...”

 

And like an ice that finally cracked open, Jennie stuttered with a sudden blush.

 

“W-what???!”

 

Lisa can only stare at her seatmate when it finally dawned on her on what she had just said. Distancing herself from Jennie, she hastily moved her chair away. Her ears turning red from embarrassment.

 

Why did I say that?

 

An awkward silence soon ensued. Both of them were trying to compose themselves despite their blushing faces, trying to comprehend what just happened.

 

Finally breaking the silence, Jennie cleared and said.

 

“Hey...”

 

“Yeah?” Lisa replied without looking at Jennie's direction.

 

“I haven’t got the chance to tell you...but...Thank you.”

 

“For?”

 

“For the drink...and for...comforting me.”

 

“Oh...yeah. You even drenched my uniform. You’re such a crybaby.” Lisa teased yet again, finally regaining her composure.

 

“Forget it. Why did I even thanked you.” Jennie said as she turned her attention back to her book.

 

“Hey?”

 

“What?”

 

With a blush adorning her cheeks, Lisa scratched the back of her head and said. “You’re welcome...and...” She then added bashfully as she bites her lower lip. “I-I’m sor...I mean, I'm...”

 

Jennie could only blink her eyes in slow motion.  “What? Can you repeat that?” Jennie asked in disbelief as she continues to stare at Lisa’s blushing face.

 

“I’m-”

 

“AT LAST!” A loud voice boomed as the doors of the classroom suddenly flung open.

 

“I’m the…first…” The president’s voice faltered when she saw the occupants of the room. “Oh...why are you here? I should be the first one.”

 

A pair of eyes that looked like there were caught red-handed was her only reply.

 

“Did something happen? Did I interrupt something important? Like I don’t know..flirting perhaps.”

 

“We’re not!!” Jennie denied, instantly getting up from her seat.

 

“Relax Nini.” Jisoo laughed at Jennie’s reaction. She then turned her attention to Lisa. “So what did I miss?” she repeated with a grin.

 

“It’s nothing.” Lisa calmly replied, her beating heart opposing silently.

 

 

Lisa doesn’t like reciting to class. It’s not that she’s afraid to answer her teacher’s questions.

 

It’s because she hates being the center of attention. She would rather sit quietly and listen to her teacher’s discussion.

 

“Okay who can tell me the formula for this problem!” Taeyang asked to his class energetically, tapping the board as he points out a complicated mathematical problem.

 

But meeting Jennie...She seemed to have a change of heart.

 

Raising her hand, Lisa suggested to her teacher. “Sir. I think Jennie knows the formula.” And with a glance to the brunette, she smiled slyly. “Right Jennie?”

 

Widening her eyes when she heard her name, Jennie slowly stood and stared at Lisa with burning eyes. “Of course, I know this. Thank you Lisa.” she said, coating her words with sarcasm.

 

“It’s my pleasure.” Lisa muttered with a wink.

 

Staring straight at the board, Jennie started analyzing the problem. She took her notebook and started scribbling in it to deduce the formula used. After several trial and errors, Jennie answered with confidence. “There won’t be. The answer would be simply an undefined one.”

 

“That’s correct. I’m amazed that you know this.” Taeyang smiled with pride. “You may sit down Jennie. Oh? And June? Please wake up your seatmate.” He said with a sigh when he saw Jisoo’s sleeping figure in the back row of the classroom.

 

“W-What happened?!” Jisoo shouted in a panicked voice, triggering laughter from her classmates.

 

“Okay okay. Who can solve this next problem?” Taeyang continued, trying to gain the attention of his class. “I saw this problem in an Academic Contest. It’s an advanced level. Who would like to give it a try?

 

Seeing another complex problem. The class fell into silence again. Each student turning their gaze away from their teacher.

 

“Any volunteers? Jennie?”

 

“Oh, I want to give others a chance Sir.” Jennie replied. Smiling in revenge, she pointed a thumb to her seatmate. “I bet Lalisa can solve this problem. Right Lalisa?”

 

This just made Lisa to raise an eyebrow, seemingly unbothered at Jennie’s challenge. She then smiled in amusement at the brunette’s smug expression.

 

“I forgot. Congratulations for being first on the pretest exam. Would you like to give it a try Lalisa?”

 

“I’ll try, Sir.” Lisa replied to her teacher as she stood up.

 

“I’ll give you a few minutes to solve it in your notes.”

 

Lisa just concentrated on the problem and didn’t listen to her teacher’s suggestion. Tapping her fingers on her desk a few times, she answered effortlessly. “To find the area of the sphere, you will just parametrize the sphere. Furthermore, since –π/2 ≤ u ≤ π/2 and –π ≤ v ≤ π , the area would simply be 4π R^2.”

 

The class can only stare at Lisa in awe. They haven’t even started solving the problem nor analyzed it thoroughly.

 

Exhibiting a look of astonishment, Taeyang finally said. “That’s...Correct.”

 

Taking her seat, Lisa poked Jennie’s cheek.

 

“Oh? Is that a scratch paper? You haven’t written anything yet. Were you trying to solve my problem?”

 

“Shut...up.”

 

 

It was their last class, PE, where students are required to play ball games for the first quarter of their academic year. It’s a subject where students can relax and not worry about theories or problems of their major subjects.

 

It’s a subject for recreation and fitness...

 

But for Jennie and Lisa...

 

It’s a war.

 

A loud cheer from the class filled the gymnasium. Various chants and shouts can be heard from the sidelines as the students loudly rooted for their team. The sound of whistle was then heard, signaling the start of the basketball game between the two teams.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter