Chapter 9

The Unlikely Match

In the spotlight

“Woo-hoo! That’s my fiancé,” Yixing cheered and clapped along with the audience. Junmyeon had just scored another goal. Yixing hadn’t cared much about learning the rules of polo, but he did know the essential was to hit the ball between the opposing team’s goal posts, just like any other ball sport. And right now, that was the fourth time Junmyeon had scored already, he was a skillful player just like the people in the audience had said. Then again, Yixing wasn’t surprised. Over time, he had learned Junmyeon was quite competitive and would do his best to excel at everything. Sometimes he wondered why Junmyeon tried so much to be perfect.

Today, Yixing and Junmyeon had to attend a charity polo match Junmyeon had to play at. Unfortunately, that meant Junmyeon was mostly on the field, and he had to stay back in their private tent. If only Junmyeon’s parents or Tao had been there, then he wouldn’t have minded being there. That wasn’t the case, and he got stuck with Junmyeon’s grandparents. Yixing always felt intimidated by them, they still didn’t seem thrilled by his presence. After a while, he had excused himself and left the tent, although they didn’t seem to care. Instead, Yixing had walked over and sat in one of the empty seats in the audience. He felt more in place over there, even though everyone was surprised to see him, Junmyeon’s fiancé, sitting there.

Yixing had never exactly been a fan of sports. So, he had thought watching the game would be tedious. However, he had to admit he wouldn’t mind staring at Junmyeon playing for hours. Well, could someone blame him? Heck, the man looked incredibly good in those riding boots, white pants, blue t-shirt and equestrian helmet. And that was funny because in any other instance Yixing would have thought they all had looked goofy and ridiculous. His eyes had all the time followed Junmyeon during the game.

Suddenly, someone occupied the empty seat next to him. Yixing stared to his side and was surprised to see Jongin sitting there. Jongin greeted him with that usual side smile of his. And Yixing showed him his dimpled smile, saying hi. They talked while the polo match continued. Apparently, Junmyeon had been right, and Jongin was terrible at keeping track of time. He had come twenty minutes late. But Jongin never minded the stares he got or the fact someone always commented his lack of manners. The only one he did try to apologize to was his mother, and that was why Jongin regularly bought flowers for her. Flowers that Yixing had arranged for a while now. It was during those times they had gotten to know each other, but they had also shared a few meals together. And the feud Jongin and Junmyeon had, he could never quite understand it, but both seemed to have trouble letting an old high school rivalry go. Even so, Jongin was a nice person, a new friend Yixing could enjoy having a real conversation with.

“So, how are things between you and Mr. Perfect?” Jongin asked, just as Junmyeon scored yet another goal.

Yixing chuckled. “We’re doing all right. Counting the days until the wedding, I guess.” Junmyeon should be proud of the way Yixing had flaunted their engagement these days, doing his part of their deal. Hopefully, Junmyeon was doing the same.

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

Jongin caressed his chin, thinking about something. “I see… But I have to say, I still think it’s weird you would be matched with someone like Junmyeon, Xing. You two are nothing alike. It almost seems like a mistake.”

“Are you saying the System was wrong?” Yixing raised a questioning eyebrow. Considering Jongin worked at the Security Department, a government institution, and people usually never questioned the System’s outcomes, this was quite bold coming from him.

“Well, between you and me, matchmaking tons of people should fail at some point. Nothing can be truly flawless.”  

That was what Yixing had always thought. He never believed he would fall helplessly in love with someone a machine had chosen for him. Only he knew what was right for him. However, the System did have right on his aptitude test… What if they had been right this time? Anyway, even if this was Jongin, Yixing should keep his mouth shut about his disbelief in the System. He laughed. “Then, who do you think I should have been set up with?”

“I don’t know. But if you were bound to be with someone from my and Junmyeon’s world, I have to say, you and I would have been a much better match. Don’t you think so?”

Yixing didn’t take Jongin’s words seriously. In all the other times they had talked, Jongin had never made a move on him. He was always respectful, and this must be a joke, one of those jokes he said to annoy Junmyeon. And when Jongin laughed and said he was kidding, Yixing laughed too.

“You shouldn’t joke like that. What would your partner think?”

“I don’t know. I’ve never met them,” Jongin said, shrugging.

Yixing went wide-eyed. That was unusual. They were the same age. Jongin should be like Kyungsoo and Chanyeol, and everyone else who had gone to the Marriage Bureau to find their matches, except someone like Junmyeon maybe. Junmyeon didn’t seem like the family type. But Jongin did, and at this point in his life, he should be married or about to get married or start having a family. Now that Yixing thought about it, he had never heard of Jongin having a partner. Maybe Jongin thought like him too, and he didn’t want to force himself to fall in love with whoever the System had picked. If that was the case, this was the first time he had met someone who thought alike. How uncommon. “Why?” he had to ask.

“When I went to the Marriage Bureau, they said my perfect match had already died. They couldn’t find anyone else.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. That’s unfortunate,” Yixing said.

The perfect matches were elected accordingly to the highest percentage. One hundred percent was unquestionably an ideal match, almost all couples were in this range. Somewhere between ninety-nine and ninety was rare, but still somewhat considered an adequate pairing by the System. Anything below that wasn’t allowed. If one’s elected partner had died or had fallen for someone else, then the second highest match, their adequate match, was probably already with their own perfect match. So, the System could not find anyone for those people. Basically, not having his perfect match meant Jongin might be alone for the rest of his life. Unless he chose someone himself, of course, but that option would most likely not be approved by the System.

“Perhaps. But it does gives me the freedom to choose someone myself,” Jongin said, smiling.

“Aren’t you afraid of the backlash?”

Jongin’s smile didn’t falter. “If I do it for someone I love, then any sacrifice is more than worth it, right?”

Yixing nodded, smiling back. A grand gesture of true love, so Jongin believed in those kinds of things too. A little part of him thought that maybe, if he and Jongin would have been chosen as a match, then perhaps he wouldn’t have been reluctant to be with his elected partner. As fast as the thought had come it had left. Thinking about it, if that had been the case, he would have missed having fun annoying Junmyeon, laughing with him, cooking for him, sharing meals together, discovering that Junmyeon could actually be kind and considerate with him, and even things like kissing him… No, he wouldn’t have wanted any other outcome. Besides Junmyeon would help him see his sister again.

Yixing redirected his gaze on the polo match. He laughed tenderly seeing how Junmyeon enjoyed having scored a goal for the eight time, his team was leading.

 

 

 

 

Being Junmyeon’s fiancé had become quite hectic lately, and it was like being in the spotlight. He had no idea being the future husband of an elected candidate would be like this. Yixing had never paid much attention to the campaign before, only learned the candidates’ names and faces. When the election would come, he was just going to vote blank. Then again, this country had adopted strange ways to select their leaders.

Only now did Yixing realize how much his life had changed. He lived in one of the fanciest areas in the city. He had a chauffeur that drove him around anywhere, except when Junmyeon drove them, or he drove himself. He dressed in the most expensive clothes. And he and Junmyeon always had to attend some fancy event, parties, dinners, lunches, or breakfasts for this and that. Yixing almost didn’t have time to see his friends anymore. And how did Junmyeon manage to work and attend those events? Yixing had decided to take his vacation to regain all the sleep he had lost. He had voiced out his idea to Junmyeon, who had answered he could handle it fine. And that worried Yixing. He wouldn’t let Junmyeon get away quickly and jeopardized his health. In the end, after much nagging, he managed to make Junmyeon stay at home with him, even if it was for one week and not one month.

There was also the fact everyone seemed to recognize Yixing nowadays. In Junmyeon’s fancy world, since his engagement party, it wasn’t unusual those people knew him. But it was odd when he walked in the streets, and people took not-so-secretly pictures of him, or they came forward and talked to him. Sometimes the attention was nice, other times he just wished he could have privacy, especially when people interrogated him about his and Junmyeon’s relationship. Why were they so noisy? But even his flower shop had gotten many more clients now because of the limelight.

Not everything was dressing fancily for a party and eating a food he had never heard of, though, sometimes they had interviews too, for the radio, television or a magazine. That felt more nerve-wracking than chatting with pretentious people. He always feared to say something wrong and out of place. But Junmyeon somehow knew beforehand which questions they’ll ask, so they usually practiced their answers together. Yixing appreciated the help.

This morning, Yixing and Junmyeon had an interview for a magazine. First, the photoshoot took place. After doing this for quite some time, Yixing had learned to become relaxed around Junmyeon’s closeness, no longer feeling nervous when they had to kiss in front of others or share a hug. Once the photoshoot finished, they met along with the writer in a quiet room for the interview.

As usual, Yixing answered each question correctly. They laughed and chatted amusedly with the interviewer almost naturally as if he and Junmyeon hadn’t reviewed anything last night. Junmyeon was always good at it. But then an unexpected question happened.

“I think we’re ready to wrap this up. But before, there is actually a last-minute question,” the writer said. Junmyeon squeezed Yixing’s hand a little tighter, clearly feeling just as nervous as Yixing about what she would say.

“What is one trait that surprisingly you have come to like about the other?”

They stared at each other and breathed out. Thankfully, it wasn’t a tricky question. They could answer this on their own. Yixing tried to come up with an answer. What was it? What could it be he had surprisingly come to like about Junmyeon? His hidden kindness he showed by sending him flowers or taking revenge in his honor? His lame attempts at teasing him back? Or? “He’s an amazing kisser,” he mumbled out loud without thinking. Oh no. Quickly, he looked around and realized they must have heard him, the room was dead silence after all. He blushed. The interviewer stared at him amused, and Junmyeon frowned. “I-I mean, not that I thought Myeon wouldn’t kiss good or anything. It’s just that he really, really is a good kisser. Like wow, he just takes away my breath, and you know, I feel endless butterflies, and he makes my heart beat so fast, but not only when he kisses me, he makes me feel that all the time! But if only you all could see what I mean. It’s surprising someone can kiss that good, it’s out of this world. Like, have you ever experienced that? Maybe he can show you, wait, no.” He shook his head. “No, don’t do that Junmyeon, you’re only supposed to kiss me!” Yixing closed his eyes. “Oh god, what am I saying?” He covered his eyes with his hands, not daring to look at Junmyeon or the woman sitting in front of them. His attempt to fix his answer had gone terribly.

“Xing tends to mumble quite a bit when he gets nervous. It’s adorable.”

He heard Junmyeon chuckling and then grabbed Yixing’s hands to remove them from his face. Yixing opened his eyes and was surprised when Junmyeon leaned in and pecked his lips.

The interviewer laughed. “I noticed. Then what about you, Junmyeon?”

Junmyeon smiled. He stared at Yixing while he answered. “Well, when we first met I realized he could be very obstinate. It used to be challenging at first. But now, I don’t mind so much. And I like that he is so stubborn because that helps him watch out for me and my wellbeing… Yixing and his stubbornness to care for me, that’s something I’ll always be thankful for.”

That answer had made Yixing smile and feeling warm and fuzzy inside.

After a while, the interview concluded. When they shook hands with the writer, Yixing managed to hear something he hadn’t thought of. Making sure she had left them alone, Yixing asked, “Wait, will this interview be sold overseas? Will we also be on the cover?”

Junmyeon nodded. “Yes. Didn’t you hear? She said it’ll be published in their overseas magazine issue.”

“When?”

“Next month.”

Yixing gulped. He should better tell his parents about his engagement before they saw it written in some magazine. He couldn’t run away from it now.

“By the way,” Junmyeon said while they made their way out of the building, holding hands, “We need to work on your improvising skills. What was that answer?”

Yixing felt his cheek flushing, he looked away. “I’m sorry. I spoke without thinking, then I got nervous and didn’t know how to fix it. I probably made it worse.”

Surprisingly, Junmyeon laughed again. “It’s okay… I’m actually quite delighted someone thinks my kisses are ‘out of this world.’”

Yixing only closed his eyes and felt his cheeks getting warmer.

 

 

 

 

“You said what?”

Yixing flinched yet again. “I said he was an amazing kisser.”

Kyungsoo laughed while he rocked Dongwon in his arms. “Well, be thankful you didn’t say that on the radio or national television.”

Yixing gulped. That was true, at least on paper the writer had said she’ll try to make Yixing’s answer somewhat comprehensible. Saying that on live television or the radio, that would have been horrifying, and unable to edit. Even three days after it had passed, Yixing still felt embarrassed by it. More so because Junmyeon had heard his most profound thoughts.

“But the question is, do you really think everything you said?” Kyungsoo asked with raised eyebrows. Even if Junmyeon had asked him not to say anything, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol did know about their deal. Naturally, because they just couldn’t believe when Yixing had told them he would marry Kim Junmyeon out of the blue, Yixing who had always said one day he’ll find his soulmate in the most unpredictable place, fall crazily in love and live happily ever after. Of course, they had known Yixing had an ulterior motive to accept the engagement, a union decided by the System. So, Yixing had come clean with them. They weren’t disappointed but advised him to be wary of what he was doing.

And regarding Kyungsoo’s question, indeed, Yixing did. Whenever Junmyeon kissed him passionately, he sometimes felt that way, butterflies, and fast beating heartbeats. Although sometimes even without the kisses he had begun to feel it. Was it because of his technique? Or was it because of Junmyeon? Yixing was a little confused about that. If it was his technique, then great. But if it was because he was starting to develop a crush on Junmyeon, then not so great. It could be quite problematic, especially if Junmyeon didn’t manage to free Qian. What would he do then? But if Junmyeon did succeed, and Yixing fell in love with him, that would be troublesome too. Junmyeon would certainly not love him back, the man had said so. He sighed. “I think I do.”

“I hope you realize that might mean you’re starting to fall for him.”

“That wouldn’t be so wise, would it?”

“That’s only something you know, Yixing.”

Yixing was unsure, though.

Kyungsoo laid Dongwon back in the baby crib. Yixing stood up from the rocking chair, and they quietly left the room. Back in the kitchen, he watched as Kyungsoo continued baking a lemon pie. They kept talking about what had been going on in their lives recently, Yixing mostly complaining about the world in the upper class, which he now actually belonged to. They hadn’t seen each other much since Junmyeon’s birthday party.

“You must be happy about going back to work,” Yixing said after Kyungsoo had commented about it.

Kyungsoo smiled. “It’s not like I haven’t baked since then, but I am. I’ll miss this though. But now is Yeol’s turn to take care of the kids. You can imagine how thrilled he is about that.”

Yixing chuckled, “Yeah.”

“You know, before that happens, we planned on going to the beach. Sohee wished to go see the ocean during the summer break. Do you wanna come with us?”

Yixing smiled, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol always thought of him whenever they planned these things in the past. Now with their own family, they still included him. He truly appreciated it. Even if they did it because they probably pitied Yixing, who wouldn’t be able to find his ‘soulmate’ and would be left alone forever. Either way, a lovely day away from the city, swimming in the ocean, sunbathing, the quietness, and everything else, Yixing could genuinely use that break from the spotlight. Hopefully, Junmyeon wouldn’t mind him going. But maybe Junmyeon could use a break too. “Sure… Can I invite Junmyeon too?”

“That’s up to you. I know we won’t mind, and Sohee really likes him.”

“I’ll let him know.” And just as Yixing had said that he got a call from his stylist. After discussing outfit related issues, he said, “I gotta go now, Kyung.”

“Big night?”

Yixing rolled his eyes. “It’s the opening night gala of the ballet. I have to look decent.”

Kyungsoo chuckled. “Have fun.”

“I’ll try.”

It was another one of those nights in which rich people reunited for the nth time. Yixing had said he’ll try to have fun, but the only fun about it was, not so strange anymore, talking to Junmyeon. Besides, it was always lovely whenever Junmyeon stole a kiss from him, hugged him or just held his hand. God, he really was starting to have a crush on that man.

Thankfully, the cocktail reception and dinner passed by quickly. Although, Yixing was starting to miss eating his homemade food. To watch the ballet performance, they had balcony seats in a private box. Well, what else could he expect from Junmyeon? Not so long after, the function began.

Yixing tried, he really tried to watch the first performance, the Swan Lake. But he couldn’t get what was so entertaining about paying so much to watch those people dance, or listening to the orchestra play. Maybe if he had been born in this world, he would appreciate it just as much as Junmyeon did. Junmyeon was immersed watching the stage. Meanwhile, somewhere in the middle, Yixing yawned. He told himself he’ll rest his eyes a little.

Two hours later Yixing was awakened by the sound of the audience clapping. He was surprised to have one of his hands intertwined with Junmyeon. When had they begun holdings hands? But when Junmyeon let go of him, and Yixing stared at the stage, oh no, he thought. He had slept through the whole show. He looked to his side and met eyes with Junmyeon. Yixing gulped. Would Junmyeon be angry with him for falling asleep during this important night? What if someone had seen him? He felt the need to apologize for his foolishness.

“Sorry, Junmyeon,” he mumbled.

“You’re tired, Yixing, I get it. And this isn’t exactly something you enjoy doing either. I just hope you feel reenergized to attend the after party.”

Yixing nodded, smiling shyly. He would have preferred to go home, but he nodded. He was still amazed that despite the things he did wrong, Junmyeon still hadn’t blamed him for anything. Instead, Junmyeon smiled at him, a smile that made Yixing’s stomach flip. Junmyeon offered his hand to take. Yixing gladly accepted it.