Chapter 3

The Unlikely Match

Cohabitation

“No, Junmyeon,” Tao said and shook his head, “I can’t bring her back.”

Junmyeon closed his eyes and tried to look less menacing, less bothered by the fact he had to beg for help yet again. He already had enough with what that gardener had put him through, but this was his only chance to secure the union with Yixing.

“Tao, please, you’re my last and only hope.”

“You do realize what you’re asking me, don’t you?”

And that Junmyeon did. He didn’t agree with it either, it went against the System’s law, but that was what Yixing had asked for. The deal was simple: Yixing had accepted to follow Junmyeon’s plan on shaping and creating their ‘perfect, loving relationship’ on the meantime, but they would only get married if Junmyeon managed to bring Qian, Yixing’s older sister, back. If Junmyeon didn’t follow the agreement until the deadline, somewhere in August, there would be no wedding, and Junmyeon would bid Yixing adieu forever.

Now everything would have been easy if Qian had decided to cut ties with her family by her own choice. Instead, she had been taken to who knew which rehabilitation facility, which in some cases was actually a code name for some kinds of prisons. So, Junmyeon could see why the idea of liberating a potential criminal was putting Tao in an awkward position, after all, Tao was the son of the head of the Security Department. If somebody found out what they were planning to do, that they were endangering public safety, Junmyeon didn’t even want to think about the repercussions. But he needed the gardener by his side.

“I do, and I’m appalled by the idea just as you are Tao,” Junmyeon said, “But I don’t have any other choice. It’s the only way he’ll accept our marriage.”

Tao sighed. “She’s dangerous. Her Emotion Watch turned orange, Junmyeon! And if it hasn’t changed back in ten years, then you know what that means.”

Junmyeon knew it could only mean one thing, Zhang Qian was still a potential criminal, a threat to everyone’s safety, according to the System’s calculations. But Yixing didn’t know this. What Yixing knew was that his sister had been taken away because her Emotion Watch had turned orange. He probably thought that his sister had been under so much stress, that one day she collapsed and needed recovery therapy. That was the prevailing thought about why people assisted a ‘rehabilitation facility,’ and there they helped patients improve their mental health. Eventually, once the patients began to feel better and their Emotion Watch turned white again, they would return, be in months or years, although sometimes they never did. In most cases, this notion was actually true, but in others, it was entirely different. Either way, Yixing was tired of waiting, it had already been a decade since he last saw his sister.

However, the real meaning behind what those watches monitored was classified information that only the people that were going to work or worked for the Security Department knew. The only reason Junmyeon knew about the watches’ real purpose was thanks to Tao.

During their first year of college, out of nowhere, Tao had started to shout at Yifan and Junmyeon to not let their Emotion Watches turn any other shade than white. After getting tired of hearing his constant complaints, they had coaxed Tao to tell them what the hell was wrong with him. So, Tao said it because he didn’t want to lose any of them.

For the citizens, the Emotion Watches were a sort of mental health awareness monitor, it kept track of their feelings, emotions, and mental health. Everyone knew that in public it was obligatory to use the watches. What they didn’t know was that the Emotion Watches weren’t just used to record their emotions and mental state, but the artifacts could also calculate a person’s crime coefficient. By keeping track of how people felt, what emotions were controlling their minds, what physical stress they were under, what changes in attitude they showed, and other biological readings, the System could rapidly and efficiently scan and calculate in numbers the likelihood of somebody to commit a crime, their crime coefficient. This index was showed as colors on the Emotion Watches, but the numbers could only be seen on the System’s operating machines by the Security Department.

Zero was the zero percent probability of committing a crime, and it was white on the Emotion Watch. It was a stable and healthy mind, people were in control of what they felt, they could cope with their emotions, and it was something that every citizen should aim for. Every decision the System took for the citizens was to keep this number on their watches. Yellow was in the ranges of 1 to 100, and it represented the general stress, anger, or other mentally challenging emotions people couldn’t handle but without being a threat to public safety. It wasn’t quite enough to commit a crime. Between 101 to 299, the Emotion Watch changed to orange, and it meant the System classified the subject as a latent criminal. The affected individual should immediately be isolated from society to recover. They weren’t allowed to receive any visitors, not even their family. It was only through recovery therapy that a potential criminal would be able to change their Emotion Watch back to white. Anything above 300 was represented by red. It meant the System calculated the individual was a criminal, a significant threat to the society. No recovery therapy could help them reduce their crime coefficient to zero and only then The System would allow an officer’s gun to shoot at a criminal. Whenever the colors orange and red would show up in a person’s Emotion Watch, the carrier’s information and location would be sent immediately to the Security Department, who would either isolate or annihilate the threat. This was how the crime was efficiently fought in their time and age, had Tao explained to Yifan and Junmyeon back then.

Therefore, Junmyeon knew what threat it would mean if Qian were to be taken back to their society. However, maybe there was a way to avoid all this. “I know what I’m asking for is wrong, I know it may put people in danger… But then just find her. Find where she is and let him meet with her,” Junmyeon said, “You can do that, right?”

Tao nodded. “I mean it would take some time, but yes. And then what? He would still want her to be free.”

“Yes, he will, but we don’t have to compel. I could always say that there are regulations, that I’m working on it, that it takes time and whatnot.”

“So, you want to lead him on? To say that you’re working on it while we don’t actually move a finger? Doesn’t that go against your deal?”

“Perhaps. But once Yixing sees her, he will realize he is one step closer to being with her, I know he is capable of thinking that far. And then I could just say that if I became the Leader of the Nation, it would be much easier for Qian to be free. Nobody would go against the Leader, won’t they?” Junmyeon said with a smirk.

“And he’ll have no other choice than to marry you and support you to become the new leader.”

“Precisely.”

“But once he realizes that you’re not actually going to free Qian, it’ll be too late.”

Junmyeon nodded proudly of his solution.

Tao shook his head. “Oh god, Junmyeon. That’s really… I…”

Junmyeon stepped closer and held Tao’s arms. “Tao, please, you have to help me. Look! This way we’re not putting anybody at risk, and he will get to see his sister. It’s a win-win situation. For the first time, I’m directly asking you to help me. Come on Tao, we’re friends,” he said with what hopefully was the most convincing pout he had ever shown. Oh, the things Junmyeon was doing for that gardener.

Tao sighed, loudly, but said, “Fine. But you better keep my name out of this, and don’t even think of mentioning this to Yifan.”

Junmyeon smiled and hugged Tao. “You have my word, I won’t. Thank you,” he said. Reluctantly, Tao embraced him back.

“You really know how to get your way, don’t you?”

“Are you realizing it now?” Junmyeon asked and then laughed along with Tao.

Once they broke from their hug, the intercom in Junmyeon’s home office rang, alarming them that the elevator doors had opened.

“Expecting some visit?”

“No, it’s Yixing. He’s moving in today,” Junmyeon said annoyed.

Tao left as Yixing started to move in. Junmyeon didn’t want Yixing to carry any of the moving boxes, he didn’t want him to unpack anything because according to Junmyeon, his fiancé shouldn’t do that kind of scut work. Did Yixing listen? Of course, not. The gardener did his way and joined the moving team while delivering and unpacking his stuff. Junmyeon sighed, rubbed his temples, and told himself to better get used to Yixing’s rebellious attitude.

Junmyeon lived in a two-story penthouse apartment on the 20th floor. It was located near the heart of the city. The window walls in the bedrooms and living room gave the most beautiful skyline view. Every room in the apartment was decorated with the fanciest, luxurious furniture and items, everything had been handpicked by Junmyeon himself when he had renewed it at the start of the year. There was also a pool and a jacuzzi on the terrace. He decided to give Yixing the room that was furthest from his bedroom. And he couldn’t help but smirk when Yixing said that his new room was probably the entire size of his previous apartment.

The day passed, and at night, thankfully, all the moving boxes were finally away from Junmyeon’s sight. He gave Yixing a card key to the apartment and a brief tour. Then Junmyeon told Yixing the rules of the house for them to live peacefully. Yet he only had two rules: Yixing could use and do whatever he wanted as long as he contacted the maids afterward. Junmyeon didn’t like messes. Yixing nodded but said that whatever mess he did, he would clean it himself. Junmyeon just responded he didn’t keep any cleaning gears anywhere, and that was the end of that discussion. The second rule was that Yixing was prohibited from entering Junmyeon’s study-room, he didn’t like being bothered while working. There weren’t any objections to that rule.

Once everything was settled, Junmyeon ordered some dinner. After finishing the food, he let Yixing alone to wander around the penthouse while he took a shower and went to bed.

So, this had been their first cohabitation day. They would probably not see much of each other, considering their differences in working schedule and what they preferred doing in their free time. Each of them would rather be on their own. The only times they would have to be together was whenever they needed to make public appearances, like on their engagement party that they agreed, after much discussion, would take place at the end of April.

But later that night Junmyeon would realize what living with another person actually meant. He had woken up thirsty and went down to the kitchen to get some water. But the fridge was open. Junmyeon walked closer and , he cursed inwards when he saw Yixing standing behind the refrigerator’s door.

“Night, Junmyeon. Wow, you really need to buy more food,” Yixing said. “In the meantime, some milk?” he asked, holding out the milk carton.

Junmyeon shook his head and did his best to not let his voice waver. “Why aren’t you wearing any clothes?”

“What? I’m not .”

“Boxers shorts hardly count as clothes,” Junmyeon said. He tried to keep his gaze on Yixing’s eyes, rather than the rest of his toned, milky, beau- what the hell was he thinking?

“Well, this is comfortable,” Yixing said and shrugged. He poured milk into the cup in his hand.

“No, that’s primitive. This,” Junmyeon said touching his pajamas, “Is comfortable.”

Yixing huffed, “Your preppy boy clothes?”

Junmyeon rolled his eyes, “Yes, this. It’s only made of the smoothest quality silk you’ll ever touch,” he said, “Meanwhile, what’s that, cotton?”

Yixing laughed, and Junmyeon could actually see his muscles contracting, not that he wanted to. But that annoying laugh was there again, tormenting Junmyeon’s eardrums.

“Goodnight, Junmyeon,” Yixing said as put back the milk and walked away holding his cup.

As Yixing strode, Junmyeon focused on those robust shoulder blades, rather than other parts. Damn it, they had the exact form Junmyeon liked to hold on to. But no, Junmyeon wasn’t going to be weak just because Zhang Yixing had probably a tad better body than him. They were still mismatched in every other aspect.

Junmyeon walked back to his room, totally forgetting why he had come down in the first place.

As more of their cohabitation days passed Junmyeon realized more of Yixing’s quirks and behaviors (and Junmyeon also avoided going down during the midnight). For instance, that even if Yixing began work at ten and Junmyeon at nine, Yixing also woke up early to work out. To save him money and time, Junmyeon told him he could use the building’s own gym. If Junmyeon had headphones on, he wouldn’t care to have Yixing there too. And for the first time, Junmyeon heard Yixing thank him.

He also realized that Yixing cooked his own meals, well, he knew almost everyone did. The day after moving in, Yixing had bought and filled the fridge and cabinets with different types of food, vegetables, and other stuff, something Junmyeon had rarely done before. The only ‘food’ he had ever kept were eggs, milk, protein bars, shakes, or energy drinks.

One night when Junmyeon had returned from work, he found a plate on the kitchen counter. He didn’t think much about it and let it there. But the next day there was another dish, and the day after that too. It wasn’t until Yixing asked him on their way to the gym that he knew why the dishes were there.

“Junmyeon, do you have a problem with my cooking?” Yixing had asked during the elevator ride.

Junmyeon shook his head.

“Then is every meal I’ve cooked so far not your favorite? I’ve been trying to only use Korean cuisine but...”

“What are you talking about?” Junmyeon asked.

“Why don’t you eat the food I leave for you at night?” Yixing said, and Junmyeon almost thought he heard Yixing’s upset voice.

“Did I ask you to do it?”

“No, but you’re letting me live in your filthy rich place for free. And you seem never to eat, so I figured this was the least I could do for you.”

That was odd; nobody had ever thought of repaying Junmyeon somehow, not that Junmyeon cared about it. “Yixing, my assistants buy me high-quality breakfast every day. I eat at the office. And the most notable chefs prepare my dinner and lunch. So, I never need to use our kitchen, if anything it’s mostly décor. That’s how it's always been. And I can arrange for them to deliver food to you if you’d like to stop getting your hands dirty.”

Yixing laughed and shook his head. “No thanks, Junmyeon. I don’t mind cooking. I think I prefer the flavor of a homemade meal.”

“Your loss then, gardener,” Junmyeon mumbled.

“What?”

“Nothing. But I don’t understand what good gives you knowing how to do that stuff.”

“Basic survival skills?”

“Well, if you have the money for somebody else to do it, why bother?”

Yixing chuckled as he shook his head.

However, after their conversation, the meals on top of the kitchen counter didn’t stop appearing. Junmyeon wouldn’t give in either, though.

On a different day, the topic of their clothing styles would come up again. It had passed one week since their cohabitation days began. Junmyeon left his study to grab an energy drink. Yixing was there, cooking.

“Junmyeon, do you always wear formal clothes?” had Yixing asked.

“What do you mean? These are my normal clothes.”

“Those pants and shirt? Isn’t that uncomfortable? You wear that to work every day.”

“No, I wear suits for work.”

“The same thing,” Yixing said amusedly.

Junmyeon rolled his eyes. “Well, in your opinion, you almighty fashion consultant, what should I be wearing?”

“For starters, you should drop the preppy boy clothes and try this,” Yixing said pointing at his own clothes.

“You gotta be kidding me,” Junmyeon said after looking at Yixing from head to toe. He was wearing gray sweatpants, a white tank top, and a unicorn-themed apron. Did he really think Kim Junmyeon would ever wear those hideous garments?

“What do have against sweatpants?”

“I had not worn those awful things since I was a baby and when they forced me in gym class. Believe me, I won’t be doing it anytime soon.”

“But you use work-out clothes, what’s the difference?” Yixing asked, smiling.

“Those are designer gears of the best Dri-FIT material, nothing like those gray things.”

Yixing laughed, again with his high-pitched annoying laugh. And Junmyeon just left the room, rubbing his temples, yet again forgetting why he had gone to the kitchen.

Not everything was inane fights or discussions, though. There were moments in which Junmyeon could tolerate Yixing’s company. Particularly during those days, Yixing had started to wait for Junmyeon’s return very late at night. Yixing actually wore decent clothes, and he would greet Junmyeon before going to bed. It was comforting to come back home and find someone there waiting for him, wishing him a good night and that he would sleep well. It had been so long since somebody said that to him. Junmyeon had realized how lonely it used to be to return to an empty apartment. Secretly, he thanked Yixing for doing that.

But of course, one night Yixing wouldn’t be awake. Junmyeon knew that one day he would get tired of waiting for him. So, he hadn’t expected it to last long. That day, he walked into the living room to turn off the television but was surprised to find Yixing lying on the carpet. His mouth was open as he let out some faint snore.

Without exactly knowing why Junmyeon laughed. He grabbed the remote control and turned off the television. And he would have left Yixing sleeping there, but as he walked past the kitchen and saw another plate of food, something within him just told him not to. It wouldn’t let him at ease. So, he walked back to where Yixing was lying. He squatted down and shoved him lightly while calling his name. Yixing didn’t react. Junmyeon tried again but failed.

“Gardener!” Junmyeon shouted at last.

Yixing woke up hastily, looking around.

“Your back is gonna hurt, go sleep on your bed… Goodnight,” Junmyeon said, stood up and walked back to his room, leaving behind a confused and drowsy Yixing.