Chapter 6

The Unlikely Match

Cold

This chapter is dedicated to you, Alice. I hope this crappy update still manages to make you smile a little ^^

When Yixing woke up that morning, he was yet again surprised to go down and not see Junmyeon going to the gym with him. This was probably the third time it happened, and it made him wonder if Junmyeon was avoiding him. Maybe Junmyeon hadn’t really wanted to help him out with Sohee and Dongwon, perhaps it had bothered him that those children had barged into his peaceful home. But Sohee had said Junmyeon had been a great babysitter. Then again, it wasn’t like he and Junmyeon were the best of friends, maybe Junmyeon just wanted to be alone. Yixing let go of his worries.

He returned to the penthouse feeling energetic and refreshed after his workout and shower. Yixing was preparing his breakfast when he saw Junmyeon approaching. As usual, he was holding his leather briefcase and wearing a pristine suit.

Junmyeon stopped. “See you later, Yixing,” he said, but his voice was low and rough, undoubtedly hoarse.

“Hey, are you okay?” Yixing asked while he drew closer to Junmyeon. Now that he was in front of him, Yixing noted that Junmyeon’s nose was a bit red, running a little, and he was slightly shaking. “You don’t seem fine.”

“I’m perfectly fine,” Junmyeon answered. He averted his gaze from Yixing and started to walk away, but then he tripped, dropping his briefcase and falling on his knees.

Yixing hurried to go to him. He put his arm across Junmyeon’s upper back and helped him stand up. “This clearly shows you’re not.” Junmyeon shook his head and tried to get away. But Yixing didn’t let him and instead raised his free hand and put it on Junmyeon’s forehead. It felt warmer than usual, he figured Junmyeon had a slight fever, and with his other symptoms, it was probably the case of a common cold. This was probably because a few days ago Junmyeon had worn wet clothes inside, where the AC was , for a prolonged time. Seriously, what had he been thinking? “You have a cold, and you’re still thinking of going to work?”

“Work is important.”

“Not more important than your health.”

“I have to go.”

“No, you have to stay here and rest for a few days. Come on, I’ll take you to your room.”

“I’m all right.”

“Your runny nose and a hoarse voice say otherwise. Even your Emotion Watch is yellow.”

“But-”

“Doesn’t matter, come on,” Yixing said. Junmyeon didn’t agree, but the man was weak as hell right now, he couldn’t put much resistance. And Junmyeon didn’t. Yixing easily dragged him up the stairs toward his bedroom. Junmyeon kept trying to say something, but Yixing kept interrupting him, saying this was more vital than anything. They arrived in front of the door of Junmyeon’s bedroom. Unsure if he could walk in, Yixing looked at Junmyeon, and it was his eyes rather than mouth that asked.

Junmyeon gave up in the end because subtly nodded and said, “It’s okay. Open it.”

The room was big, slightly bigger than Yixing’s. The only colors he could distinguish where the white walls, the gray curtains, and the black bedspread covering the king-sized bed. All the other furniture like the nightstands, chairs, or lamps, were either white or gray. He also had large picture windows. This was precisely how Yixing had imagined Junmyeon’s room to be like. Although, he was surprised to see something. “Wow.”

“What?”

“Nothing is just that, I’m surprised your bed is done.” Yixing had thought the housekeepers were in charge of doing that. One time Yixing had forgotten to make his own bed, and when he had returned, it had been neatly done.

Junmyeon rolled his eyes. “Anyone can make a bed.”

Yixing laughed. “Sorry.”

They walked over to the bed. Yixing removed the covers and rearranged the pillows. Junmyeon sat on the edge and Yixing kneeled down to remove Junmyeon’s shoes. He stood up and helped Junmyeon remove his jacket and loosen up his tie. Then, Junmyeon finally rested on the bed. He asked Yixing to go bring him his phone from the briefcase. Junmyeon made a call, telling someone he was sick and took the week off.

“Don’t you wanna change into more comfortable clothes?”

Junmyeon shook his head.

“Okay… Do you have a thermometer?”

“I think somewhere in the bathroom cabinets.”

Yixing went over there, and after roaming in the cupboards he found one, he also took a box of tissues. First, Junmyeon grabbed one tissue and blew his nose. Yixing had placed the trash can near his nightstand, so Junmyeon could quickly dispose of it. Junmyeon took the thermometer and turned it on.

“Your temperature is a little above normal. I was right, you have a slight fever,” Yixing said, looking at the device.

Junmyeon nodded.

“You haven’t eaten any breakfast, have you?”

“No, I’m not hungry… Just sleepy.”

“Okay, then sleep for a while. I’ll check on you later.”

Junmyeon nodded and closed his eyes. Not so much time after, Junmyeon was sound asleep. Yixing smiled as he looked down at the helpless Junmyeon. How could Junmyeon stubbornly think of going to work when he clearly wasn’t feeling all right? He shook his head and proceeded to leave the room.

Once outside, Yixing called one of his employees and informed them about his absence for a couple days to ‘take care of his fiancé.’ He didn’t mind doing that. In a way, it felt like he could finally repay Junmyeon for his generosity. Sure, they had a deal, but the luxurious house, the new car, the new phone and all these amenities, were definitely too much. He walked back to the kitchen and ate a light breakfast before he prepared his mom’s chicken noodle soup.

Occasionally, Yixing ran (because the house was just that big) to see Junmyeon. One time he had brought with him a glass and some bottles of water to keep Junmyeon hydrated. But Junmyeon wouldn’t wake up, neither did he want to deprive him of sleep. On another time, it worried him that Junmyeon was sweating too much. What if his fever would rise? Maybe it was because of Junmyeon’s tight shirt and dress pants. Junmyeon had to change to looser and comfortable clothes. ‘Oh, don’t even think about it, Yixing,’ he heard a voice in his head, and funny enough, it reminded him of Junmyeon.

“But he needs lighter clothes,” Yixing said to himself.

He walked into Junmyeon’s closet room. After spending minutes opening drawer after drawer, he finally found the only loose clothes: one pair of silk pajamas. Otherwise, Yixing had to dress him in workout clothes or swimming trunks, and that was something Junmyeon probably wouldn’t like.

Okay, Yixing was about to trespass boundaries, and maybe this could be considered abuse of power? Technically, they were engaged, so… He decided to first shake Junmyeon a little while calling his name.

“Junmyeon, you have to change clothes,” Yixing said after futilely trying to wake him up. It didn’t work. He sighed. “I’m gonna do it, okay? Don’t worry, I’m not gonna look.”

And that Yixing did. He looked out the windows as he undid Junmyeon’s shirt and pants, although it did take him time. He decided to first take off Junmyeon’s shirt. His hand mistakenly touched Junmyeon’s chest. Boy, the man had soft, smooth skin. Yixing blushed and tried not to think much about such things. But he couldn’t remove the damn shirt.

He got another idea. Carefully, he flipped Junmyeon on his stomach. Junmyeon must have been utterly tired because he didn’t wake up. But once Junmyeon’s back was into Yixing’s view, he thought seeing this part of his body would be less severe than seeing the other. So, Yixing looked down and removed the shirt. He put on the silk t-shirt on Junmyeon. Then, it was time for the pants. And this time he closed his eyes, holding the waistband, he rapidly pushed them down and removed those goddamn dress pants. Okay, but this time he definitely had to look at Junmyeon’s… Junmyeon’s feet! He put on the pajama pants on each foot. Once again, he closed his eyes, held the waistband and pushed it up. And it was done.

He exhaled. At least Junmyeon was comfortable. Yixing moved Junmyeon so he could lie on his back again. He walked to the bathroom and grabbed a wet towel. Carefully, he dabbed Junmyeon’s face and arms, hoping this will cool him off a little. Lastly, he put a new cloth on his forehead.

The morning passed. When it was almost midday, Yixing knew Junmyeon had to eat something now, no matter if he had to wake him up roughly. He put a plate of warm chicken soup, a spoon and chopsticks, a glass of orange juice and another one with ice-cold water, on a bed table. To his surprise, though, Junmyeon was already awake. He was sitting on the bed, talking on the phone. He seemed better. They exchanged glances, but Junmyeon kept speaking.

“I brought you some soup,” Yixing said once Junmyeon finished the call.

“Did my other assistant already bring the food?”

Yixing shook his head. “No, this is my mom’s special recipe.”

Junmyeon’s furrowed his eyebrows. “I think I’d rather wait for my assistant.” But his stomach wasn’t having it, especially when it growled so loudly.

Yixing smirked. “Look, you could either starve yourself until your assistant comes or eat this delicious chicken soup. Or watch me eat it. Your call.”

Junmyeon huffed. “Fine.”

“Which one?”

Rolling his eyes, Junmyeon replied, “I’ll eat it.”

With a dimpled smile on his face, Yixing strode forward and set the bed table above Junmyeon’s legs. He sat on the border of the bed. Yixing proudly watched Junmyeon eat the soup. It took over a month, but finally, Junmyeon had eaten Yixing’s cooking. “See, it wasn’t all that bad, was it?” he asked.

Junmyeon just stared at him expressionless but continued eating. Yixing chuckled.

“By the way, when did I change my clothes?”

Oh. Yixing gulped. They had come a long way today with the food, and him helping Junmyeon to get to his room. Saying he had undressed him, yeah, they were not there yet. Yixing looked away, subtly blushing and scratching his head.

“Eh? Don’t you remember? You woke up once and said you wanted to change… Hehe.”

Junmyeon looked confused. “I did? When?”

“Yeah, you were just too exhausted, plus your fever had risen a little, so maybe that’s why you don’t remember…”

“Oh, I see.” Junmyeon nodded and continued eating.

“How are you feeling now?”

“My headache is gone. But my throat is sore, and my nose is still running. I already asked my assistant to bring me some medicine. He’ll drop it soon.”

Yixing nodded. Of course, Junmyeon would take care of that stuff. He had thought of going to the pharmacy himself, but he hadn’t wanted to leave Junmyeon alone.

Then they were silent while Junmyeon continued eating. Until Yixing spoke out of nowhere.

“My mom used to make this chicken soup for us.”

Junmyeon didn’t say anything, but he did look at Yixing like he was paying attention. And Yixing took it as his cue to continue.

“When Qian got sick, I got sick too, or vice versa. Mom would take care of us at home,” he laughed, “I remember those were the only times we could lie in mom’s and dad’s bed and watch their TV while we ate this soup. But I would often fight with Qian about the remote control. She would want to see some documentary about nature, and I would like to watch a cartoon or something more fun.” Yixing smiled. It really had been a long time since then. “I guess this soup always makes me remember those days… When everything was much simpler. And mom’s hugs and food could heal everything.”

Honestly, he hadn’t expected a reaction from Junmyeon. This narration was mostly fun trivia that Junmyeon would probably forget later. But, then Junmyeon spoke.

“My mom isn’t the best cook. Whenever she did something it was pretty awful,” Junmyeon said. He laughed, genially. “We had our own chefs. So, it wasn’t really a problem. But I do remember growing up, we had this tradition of no matter where we were, we’ll drink the afternoon tea together. She likes to do this kind of English stuff… But it was delightful. We used to talk a lot. One time she bought this chocolate cake and I really, really, liked it. I don’t know, I guess it’d be nice to eat it again… Like a taste of childhood.”

“What was it called?”

“I don’t know. We used to travel a lot when I was a kid. So, mom would always buy pastries from different places. I don’t think she remembers it either.”

“Well, did it have a particular taste?”

Junmyeon thought about it for a while. His chicken soup was almost finished. “It was sticky, kinda like those brownies, but it’s not a brownie. I’ve tried those, and it’s definitely not the same. And it had whipped cream on top.”

“Where did you eat it?”

“I don’t remember. Somewhere in Europe, I guess.”

Yixing nodded. Junmyeon’s birthday party was in ten days. Kyungsoo could definitely help him find this mysterious cake. At least he would give Junmyeon a present he didn’t expect.

 

 

 

 

Four days later, Junmyeon’s symptoms were getting better. He had taken the necessary medicine. He had eaten well (everything Yixing had prepared!) and rested fine. He had a few headaches but no fever like the first day. Junmyeon had said his throat wasn’t sore anymore. His hoarse voice slowly faded only to be replaced with a nasal one. His nose was still congested, and he had used lots of box of tissues. But, his cold was gradually passing, which was the most important. And Yixing had been there, taking care of him each day, even if Junmyeon said he could manage on his own. Yixing couldn’t leave him, though, not when he was still sick.

Yixing was currently helping Junmyeon make the bed because Junmyeon did no longer want to spend the day in bed when an unexpected guest arrived. Junmyeon looked at the intercom on his wall that alarmed him when someone had pressed the code to the private elevator. It was his mother. “Oh no, mom is here.”

Yixing found his reaction funny. Junmyeon was freaking out. “Isn’t it good? She probably worries about you.”

“And that is precisely why is bad.” Junmyeon walked to stand in front of Yixing. “Look she’ll be here any minute, but you can’t let her see me! Not like this. We were supposed to eat lunch together yesterday, but I canceled at the last minute. I never do that. Now, she probably knows I missed work for days.”

“Junmyeon, I don’t think she’s going to catch your cold if she sees you. I mean, I haven’t.”

“No, it’s not that.” Junmyeon sighed. And then he carefully looked at Yixing. “Please, Yixing, just make her go.”

Yixing’s eyes widened. That was the first time Junmyeon had asked for his help and he had even said ‘please.’ It was serious. “Don’t worry, I’ll drive her away.” So, Yixing bolted out of the room, running through the hallways to stop the woman.

“Okay, what would a drive away a parent, Yixing?” he asked himself. And then he got it. It might be embarrassing, but surely the only way she would leave no questions asked. Rapidly, he got rid of his jeans and t-shirt, only to be left in boxer shorts and socks. Then, he grabbed his hair, doing his best to make sure it was tousled everywhere.

Yixing had just stepped down the stairs when he heard the elevators doors opening and click-clacks approaching. Okay, it was time for a show. Calmly, he walked until Junmyeon’s mother came into view.

“Yixing, dear, good morning!” she greeted him with a smile.

Panting, and with an awkward smile Yixing replied, “Hi Mrs. Kim.”

Then, she gasped and covered with her hand. It was like she had fallen into realization as to why Yixing was panting and standing in his underwear with a messy hair. “Oh my,” she said, “Seems like I came at the wrong time.”

Yixing nodded shyly. “Yeah, we’re kinda… Busy right now, Mrs. Kim.”

She shook her head while cupping both her cheeks. “Oh no, and I who was thinking of walking into Myeonie’s room and demand why he had canceled our plans over text message. He would have died of embarrassment.”

Yixing laughed. If that were what they were doing, then yeah, Junmyeon probably would.

“Well, I should no longer interrupt you, boys. Please, tell Junmyeon to call me when… Or better yet, don’t say anything. I’ll wait, I’m sure he’ll explain later.”

“Yes, Mrs. Kim.”

She waved goodbye while saying, “Goodbye Yixing, sorry for my rude interruption.”

Yixing smiled, “Bye Mrs. Kim. And don’t worry.”

Mrs. Kim smiled tenderly, before rapidly heading towards the elevator. Yixing exhaled, feeling proud he had managed to do the one thing Junmyeon had asked him to.

He strode back to Junmyeon’s bedroom. Yixing thought of just walking in like that, but then he figured Junmyeon would probably freak out. He put back on his clothes before stepping in.

“Thank heavens, you did it,” Junmyeon said, staring at the intercom monitor. He turned around to meet Yixing. “What did she say?”

“She said she’ll wait until-”

“Wait, why is your t-shirt inside out? And what happened to your hair?”

Yixing looked down and saw his t-shirt’s tag was visible. He had put it on backward. “Oh, I didn’t realize I put it on wrong.”

“What? Did you take it off? Did you get in front of my mother?”

“Well, I had to be convincing,” Yixing said before taking off his t-shirt to fix it. Junmyeon hastily looked away.

“Convincing? About what?”

“About why you were busy, or well, we were busy.”

When Yixing had his t-shirt on, Junmyeon rapidly stared at him again. “Oh no, what did you tell her?”

“I told her we were busy… Having .”

“You told my mother what?!” Junmyeon yelled, looking mortified. His Emotion Watch even turned yellow for a few seconds.

Yixing wanted to laugh seeing Junmyeon’s reaction, but that wouldn’t be wise. “Relax Junmyeon! I didn’t say it directly. It was more like an… Euphemism, yeah euphemism. Me in my underwear, saying we were ‘busy,’ you know? She got it and left.”

“You’re unbelievable!”

“But she’s not gonna bother you today. She said she’ll wait for you to call her.”

Junmyeon huffed. He went to sit down on the bed before grabbing a tissue and blowing his nose.

And Yixing had to ask, even if it wasn’t his place to do it. But he was just curious as to why Junmyeon wouldn’t want his mother to see him. He knew he would be glad if his mother would be there to take care of him while sick. “Junmyeon, why don’t you want your mom to see you like this?”

Would he say why? Probably not because Junmyeon just grabbed a bottle of water and served it in a glass. Yixing observed as Junmyeon drank it. He was just about to say he was sorry for asking, but Junmyeon beat him to talk.

“Mom, she… She freaks out and worries easily. She had two miscarriages before I was born. And I didn’t make things easier when…”

“When?”

“I just don’t like to make her worry about me. Not when I just have a cold. Dangerous things, she’ll know about it. But this, this isn’t deadly.”

Yixing could see Junmyeon really cared about his mother. He smiled at that. But he couldn’t help feeling sorry for the sweet woman who had lost two children.

“I guess I’m telling you this because I want you to help me, just like you did today.”

Yixing nodded. “Don’t worry, I’ll make sure to do my best to help you.”

“Just don’t tell her we’re having again, please,” Junmyeon said before covering his eyes with one hand and shaking his head. Yixing laughed, saying he’ll try to come up with better excuses.

 

 

 

 

Junmyeon had fully recovered from his cold just a week before his birthday party. They had returned to their own routines. Although Junmyeon had said, he would go back to the gym a couple days later.

Today, it was the night time, and Yixing had just gotten out of the shower. He was thinking of going to the living to wait for Junmyeon’s return when he heard a knock on the door. Yixing dressed quickly and then walked over to open the door. Nobody was there, but when he looked down, there were dazzling flowers on the floor.

Smiling, Yixing picked up the pot of white flowers with pink spots on the petals and vibrant green leaves. Alstroemerias, or Peruvian lilies. They smelled like a fresh day of spring. He saw a card attached to the leaves and took it.

 

Please kindly accept this token of gratitude for taking care of me while being sick. Thank you.

P.S. Dinner was acceptable, but I like eating my bibimbap with less salt.

- Kim Junmyeon.

 

Yixing chuckled, warm-heartedly after reading the card. He hadn’t mind that Junmyeon hadn’t thanked him for those days, Yixing was doing it to repay him. But Junmyeon had particular ways of saying thank you. It was sweet and thoughtful. How did Junmyeon know that Yixing had always wanted to have an Alstroemeria plant? They weren’t so popular here and were native to South America, a place Yixing could only dream of going to. So, this was indeed a pleasant surprise. Yixing wished he could have thanked Junmyeon personally, but he knew Junmyeon would have been embarrassed. That was why he had left it at the door.

Also, Junmyeon had finally eaten the plates of food he let out for him. Maybe this meant they could eat dinner together from now on. He’ll make sure to use less salt the next time he cooked bibimbap.

Yixing walked over to the picture windows and placed the pot on the small table between the chairs. They were perfect and brightened up his room even more.

When you gave those flowers to a loved one or a friend, in the language of flowers, Alstroemerias said to that you will always be there for them, and you trusted in their lasting bond of friendship or love. It was funny, Junmyeon probably had no idea what those flowers meant. Yixing still appreciated the gesture.