Top Quality

Passing the Guard

Hey guys, my apologies for the delay in posting. I had wanted to try to get this chapter ready last weekend, but I just wasn't able to manage it. With this chapter comes an announcement that I am saddened to have to make, but it's something that is absolutely necessary for me right now.

I'm officially putting this story on hold for a month. I've mentioned before that I write this story on a weekly basis, and I just can't manage it right now (mostly because my job has been killing me since the spring and it's finally caught up to me). So rather than try and write every week and post it, I'm going to take a few weeks off and try to get myself a little caught up. I plan to do two things during the month break:

1) Edit the entire story that has already been posted (because some of it seriously needs fixing up, and to be honest I've forgotten a lot of my own story so I need the refresher)
2) Write a really detailed walk-through of the rest of the story (right now I have a paragraph's worth of explanation for what's going to happen in the rest of the chapters, but I need to give myself something way more detailed in order to make the writing experience easier)

Once I finish doing both of those things I'll have a much easier time in writing the remaining chapters (there's still a lot of story left to tell) but I really need a break in order to get all of that accomplished.

I will be updating my profile page during the break to say how far along everything is, so if you're ever curious about what I'm doing you can check that out. You can also feel free to drop me a message or chat with me through my account on Tumblr (drinkyourjuicejinhwan is my username, link's on my profile page) or my Twitter account (mugwump_cat). Tumblr's better for me only because Twitter doesn't always notify me when I have messages. So my response might be delayed.

You can expect the next chapter to be posted sometime during Hanbin's birthday weekend (Oct 20-22). At that point I should be back to my regular weekly posting schedule, with no further issues until this story is done.

Thank you to everyone who has provided this story with a lot of love so far! I'm sorry to have to put this on hold, but I've been struggling for almost two months now to make my weekly deadlines, so I need to do something about that. I'll keep you updated on my progress via my profile page, so check that out if you're curious. ♥♥♥

Now it's time to shut up and let you read this chapter. Sorry to have to leave it off here, but it should give you something to think about at least. Also sorry that Bobby isn't in this chapter!
 



Sunday mornings usually found Jinhwan in one of two places: advanced music lessons with his instructor or at church with Bobby and his family. This week it found him sitting by himself on the bank of the Han river, brass trumpet his only company. His instructor was sick this week, but it was just as well for Jinhwan. In two weeks time he was going to be sitting for his entrance exam to Seoul National University’s music program, something he’d been planning for since he’d been old enough to actually produce a decent sound out of the horn.

He’d been feeling confident about the test lately, completely unconcerned. He could play through his examination piece without really thinking about it now, the notes just naturally there in his head. He’d probably have nerves kick in at some point next week, when his brain processed the fact that this test would essentially determine his future in music. He knew he could pass it and gain acceptance into the program, but what would happen if he had an off day and flunked it completely? That sort of thing stayed with you if you weren’t careful, it messed with your head and made you second guess yourself.

He’d never had a problem with nerves before when it came to the trumpet. He’d gone for numerous tests at different levels and every time he’d stood on stage with a calm heart and clear head. Now, though, it’s a step more serious. Now it’s his future, his career. What if he got cold feet from the pressure? None of the tests had really meant as much as this one was going to mean. 

Of course if he flunked it might just be his subconscious trying to mess with him.

It used to be the only thing that appealed to him, the idea of studying music and following along his family’s path. He still wanted it, still fantasized about standing on stage and mesmerizing everyone. But he wasn’t so sure if SNU was what he wanted anymore. Was he doing the test for himself, or for his mom? Some days his mind was clearer than others, some days he knew with wholehearted conviction that it was what he wanted. Other days he wanted to call up the admissions department and cancel the test.

He placed his trumpet in its case before lying on his back, eyes up on the sunny Seoul sky. Time for a break. He took his phone out and opened the weather app he always used, but instead of looking at the weather in Korea, he looked up the weather in Torrance, California. Of course it was night time there now, but the sky was clear and the temperature was warm. Seoul should be chillier now than it currently was, but Torrance would continue to stay warm throughout the winter.

He searched for pictures of the beach. California beaches had a different vibe than the beaches of Jeju Island, there was a different energy on those shores. It was appealing most of the time, but terrifying at other times.

He hadn’t told anyone yet, but he’d been devoting an hour here and there to his English studies. He’d devote more but he was a little afraid of what that would really mean. The whole moving to California thing to study jiu jitsu with the founding family of the sport was a lovely fantasy, but it was also a terrifying prospect. It might not even be viable, either. He hadn’t discussed it with anyone other than Seiyeon.

Maybe it was time for that conversation he’d been putting off.

He typed a familiar number into his phone and wondered if he was doing to right thing, continuing to chase this other dream of his? Two rings later and a voice answered.

“Hey kiddo, good to hear from you!”

Jinhwan smiled at the voice, because even though sometimes it was still a little confusing, it could also be comforting. “Hey, hyung! I hope I’m not bothering you.”

“Not at all, just finished my morning class, actually, so it was perfect timing on your part.”

Of course it was perfect timing. Jinhwan still knew his schedule. “Do you have time to talk?”

“About what?” There was a slight undertone of excitement in Eric’s voice that Jinhwan could make out; Eric knew what he was calling about without having to ask.

Jinhwan took a deep breath, because he had a feeling that once he started this conversation, it was going to cement it all for him, one way or the other. “About California.”

Eric laughed and Jinhwan could see the expression on his face if he closed his eyes. Was that weird? He wasn’t really interested in Eric that way anymore, but he still liked to picture his face when they talked. It felt soothing.

“Are you finally getting serious about that?” Eric’s question hung in the air for a few seconds, and Jinhwan opened his eyes and looked up at the sky before answering.

“Yeah, I am. I’m nervous, though. I don’t think I’ve been working on my English as much as I should, I’m probably behind. Do you think that would set me back a lot?” English was the least of Jinhwan’s concerns, but it was also the safest thing to start addressing.

“That depends on which way you’re looking at it,” Eric replied, “you already know terminology for fighting, you don’t need to be a skilled linguist to train. None of them have perfect English anyway, you’d be better off learning Portuguese if that’s what has you concerned.”

Jinhwan grinned. “That’s not it. Do you think I could really survive in California on my own if I can’t talk to anyone?”

“Trust me, there are plenty of people who move to the US with worse language skills than what you have and they get by fine. Also remember, Jinan, Los Angeles has the biggest Korean community in the US, so even if you do have problems with the locals, there’s a big community of people there who would happily welcome you in.”

Strangers will always be strangers, but when you’re foreign strangers who speak the same language, you’re a little less strange. “Do you still know anyone there?”

“Of course I do, I have a lot of friends in the area. You think I’d keep trying to talk you into going to LA without having a good group of people there to watch out for you?”

Jinhwan smiled at the teasing tone. It was easy to say that he didn’t want to depend on anyone else’s connections, but he’d gladly welcome every single person Eric could hook him up with if he did end up going. “Are they rich? Can they house me if my mom decides to hate the idea?”

Eric laughed at the question. “Everyone has to be at least a little rich to live in LA. I have some friends who could probably loan you their couch for a few weeks without complaint, but you need to square it with your mom. Don’t leave that hanging, Jinan, you’ll feel like if you never clear the air between the two of you over this.”

“I was joking,” Jinhwan protested, but Eric cut him off.

“I know you weren’t. You need to talk to her soon.”

Jinhwan didn’t reply. Eric knew all about his struggles with his mother, he’d been there through all of them. Been there through the frustration and the tears, through the angry outbursts and self-doubt. It wasn’t that bad anymore. Maybe she wouldn’t be as opposed. Or maybe, now that he was close to becoming a legal adult, she’d accept his wishes finally.

“I’ve actually been thinking about how to help you out,” Eric said when Jinhwan didn’t answer him, “you should look up USC Thornton. It’s the oldest music school in the States, has a really prestigious music program. If you found a place in between there and Torrance, you could do both without a horrible commute. Might make your mom feel better if you don’t frame it like you’re throwing music away for jiu jitsu.”

Jinhwan was almost angry at himself for not thinking about it first. He’d intended to keep up with his music studies if he went to California, but he hadn’t actually considered going to university there.  “Can you send me the name? I’ll look it up. See what their requirements are. I know I can get into SNU, but this place might be tougher.”

“Ah don’t say those kinds of things. SNU has a fantastic reputation globally, you know that.”

Jinhwan grinned at the scolding. “You’re right, I guess it’s just always easy to think that going somewhere in a foreign country automatically means it’s better.” Eric was right—if he was good enough to be confident about getting in at SNU based on skill alone, he could probably get in anywhere.

“You’re really good, right? It’s been a while since I’ve heard you play, but you always said you were as good at the trumpet as you are at jiu jitsu, and if that’s the case then you’ll get accepted easily. The school offers a lot of scholarships, so make sure you look into those as well before bringing it to your mom.”

Jinhwan suddenly found himself feeling a little more confident that maybe he could actually pull this whole thing off. If he could do both at the same time, it would be even better.

“Hey, hyung? Thanks for thinking about me.” Jinhwan was hit with a sudden shock of gratitude towards Eric. Even despite everything that had happened between them, despite Jinhwan being cold for so many months, Eric had still been thinking about him, had still been trying to help. Most people probably wouldn’t have bothered in his situation. Jinhwan needed to do whatever he could to keep that connection strong.

“I always think about you,” Eric replied, and the warmth in his tone made Jinhwan smile, “I want you to do what you love, life is tough when you have to choose between so many things. You’ve got a good opportunity to do both, so I hope you take it.”

“I will, I promise.” Jinhwan knew there was more that he was promising than just his future career. He had freedoms that Eric didn’t. While Eric’s family happily supported his fighting, they didn’t know about his uality. Jinhwan wished he could have his mother’s full support for his fighting, but at least she supported who he chose to love. He’d take that over what Eric had to endure, living a lie just to stay in the family.

“So, how’s life otherwise? Dating anyone?” Now that the serious part of the discussion was over, apparently it was time for some teasing. It was a direct question that Eric had never asked before, and Jinhwan actually found himself relieved that he’d asked it. Part of moving on was actually moving on, and talking about that was a good step.

“I’m kind of involved with someone, but we’re not dating.”

Eric laughed. “Oh are you? Is the not dating your request or theirs?”

“Mine.” Jinhwan grinned because he knew exactly where this was going.

“Did you learn nothing from my experience with you?” Eric teased. “Be careful getting involved with people, kiddo. You don’t want to do something stupid like developing feelings for them.”

“Oh trust me, I am not looking to repeat your mistake.” Jinhwan teased back.

“Especially not if he’s some snot nosed little brat, they’re the worst.”

“Excuse me!” Jinhwan sputtered in mock insult.

“You’re excused.”

Jinhwan groaned at the retort, which only made Eric laugh more. “Such a comedian.” Joking about their situation felt liberating.

“So what’s he like? Tell me about him.”

Jinhwan didn’t want to admit the fling to Bobby or Hanbin, but Eric would be a safe person to entrust the truth with. “You actually know him.”

“Spare me the twenty questions. What’s his name?”

Jinhwan prepared himself for another potential lecture. “Remember Koo Junhoe at the last tournament?”

There was silence for a moment and the longer it went on the wider Jinhwan’s grin got.

“Are you ing kidding me?”

Eric’s reply made him feel a little smug. “Nope!”

“How the hell did that happen? I know you guys made peace after a rough start, but this is unexpected.”

“He asked me if we could train together, since he kept getting his kicked by short guys. So we did. Went well, then I introduced your blindfolded sparring.”

“Jinan, no! That’s how we started.” Eric laughed, and Jinhwan grinned.

“Don’t worry, hyung! I’m being vigilant! No emotions this time.” Well, no strong emotions.

“Yeah, that’s precisely what I said about you, and look what happened to me.” Eric’s tone was all warm affection, and it just felt comfortable to Jinhwan. Sometimes it was still weird to him, that professional fighter Eric Kwon had actually fallen in love with him. The heart played weird games on you sometimes.

“To be fair I think I’m an easier person to develop feelings for than Junhoe.” Jinhwan couldn’t help but tease further.

“Would you date him if you weren’t thinking about leaving?”

Eric’s question took him by surprise—as did the immediacy of his answer. “Yeah, I probably would.” He definitely would, but there was no need to say it out loud.

“Ah, Jinan! Are you sure you’re not catching feelings?” Eric teased, but Jinhwan didn’t mind.

“I’ll catch a cold before I catch feelings, don’t worry.” Just because he would date Junhoe, that didn’t mean anything. After all, Bobby had dated quite a few guys he hadn’t had romantic feelings for. It couldn’t be that hard.

“Does he know you’re thinking about leaving Seoul?” Eric asked, and that sobered Jinhwan up a little.

“No, I haven’t told anyone yet. Didn’t want to bother before I figured everything out.” He should probably tell Bobby, at least, but he kept putting it off. Going back to Jeju for two years without Bobby had been hard enough. Jinhwan was trying not to think about leaving his best friend behind.

“Ah, Jinan, don’t take too long. It’s better to prepare people in advance about these things. And be careful with Junhoe, alright? Don’t go breaking his heart.”

“I don’t think he has a heart to break,” Jinhwan joked, “no really, I’m being careful, I promise. I know what it was like to be on that side, and I don’t want to do that to him.”

“Alright, I’m just trying to be the voice of reason.”

“I know, and I appreciate it. In all regards.” It was nice, actually, to be able to talk about all of this with Eric, who’d been there through all of it with him.

“Well kiddo, it’s been a good chat, but I have to get going. Need to grab a bite to eat before my afternoon class.”

“Thanks for the talk, hyung! You honestly helped me out a lot, I feel a lot better about the whole situation. I’ll look up that school you mentioned.”

“Do that, and let me know what your mom says.”

“I will. I’ll probably be back in Jeju for a visit soon, you wanna get together?” Jinhwan offered, eager to see him now that he was feeling more settled about the whole thing.

“That’d be nice. Let me know when you’re coming, I’ll make sure I keep my schedule open for you.”

“Thanks, hyung! I’ll talk to you later.”

Once the call ended Jinhwan laid his phone down on his chest and put both arms behind his head, closing his eyes momentarily and just enjoying the warmth of the sun and the light breeze. He opened his eyes to a flock of migrating birds and wondered if it was a sign.

He sat up and picked up his trumpet, feeling inspired suddenly. He breezed through his test piece, acing it perfectly, before freestyling a little melody at the end. Whatever the requirements were for that school in California, he was certain he could do them. If LA really did have a big population of Koreans, maybe he’d be okay after all. Maybe it would make his mom feel better, too. He’d have to research everything before going to her, though. If he wanted her to take him seriously, then he also had to take it seriously.

He thought again about his friends. Leaving his family would be hard enough, but could he leave Bobby, too? They’d been together for so long, and even when he’d been back on Jeju they’d at least been in the same time zone. They wouldn’t be if he moved. Bobby had Hanbin now, though, and Jinhwan imagined that might lessen the sting at least a little.

He’d miss Hanbin too, though. And Junhoe?

He’d miss Junhoe as well.

Jinhwan was good at making friends, though, so he’d be fine. But maybe he should tell Junhoe about California, sooner than later. Just to reinforce why they couldn’t let emotions cloud anything. Just so he knew. Wouldn’t it be kind of rude if he didn’t? Of course there wasn’t supposed to be any expectation anyway, but still.

Maybe he’d wait until he talked to his mom. No sense in worrying anyone prematurely. If she said no then he wouldn’t be able to afford the plane ticket there, even if he did pass the entrance exam.

His phone buzzed then, interrupting his thoughts. It was Hanbin.

-hey hyung, are you busy?-

-at the han with my trumpet practicing for my test but not really busy-

-do you mind if i come by? wanted to talk to you-

Jinhwan had heard all about the dinner date last night once Bobby had gotten home (not too long after he’d gotten back from his movie with Junhoe). What could Hanbin possibly need to talk to him about? From what Bobby had said, the date had seemed nothing short of perfect.

-yeah sure come over! im at ttukseom park, text me when you get here and ill play something on the trumpet til you find me ;)-

-like the pied piper! cool ill be there soon, thanks!-

Maybe the conversation he wanted to have wasn’t even about Bobby. But what if it was? He’d find out soon enough. He picked up his trumpet again, wondered if he should get in a little more practice before he had company. Before that he decided on a whim to take a picture of himself with the trumpet at his lips. He sent it to Junhoe and captioned it ‘blow me ’ and sent it off with a grin.

No less than fifteen seconds later and Junhoe had sent him a picture of his middle finger in return, no caption. Jinhwan thought it was hilarious, and typically Junhoe. He couldn’t leave it alone, though.

-nice finger, maybe on our next ‘date’ ill teach you how to use it!!-

Junhoe replied with a string of laughing emoticons, which Jinhwan thought was cute. Junhoe asked him what he was doing, and Jinhwan mentioned practicing for his test by the river. Junhoe was currently having a brunch date with his sister, and it made Jinhwan think about Seiyeon. Maybe he'd talk to her about the university. It would be a good practice run before talking to his mother.

He got in a good twenty minutes of practice before Hanbin showed up, flopping down next to him on the grassy bank of the river. Jinhwan studied him, relieved to find him in good spirits at least.

“So, how was the date last night? I heard it was fancy. I’m kind of jealous, to be honest, that place sounds amazing.”

Hanbin smiled at the question and leaned up on his elbow. “It was a date worth being jealous over, both the dinner and the dessert.”

Jinhwan noticed the slight blush on Hanbin’s cheeks at his comment. “What did you have for dessert?” Bobby hadn’t said anything about what they’d done after dinner, just that they’d walked around for a bit before he’d taken Hanbin home.

Hanbin shrugged and looked at him, eyes searching his face. “Did he not tell you?”

Jinhwan shook his head. “No, just said he walked you home.”

Hanbin looked a little perplexed, like it was unexpected to hear. “Ah, well, we went for a walk, ended up at a park for a while.” Should he tell Jinhwan what they’d done? Why hadn’t Bobby told him? Hanbin had texted both Junhoe and Donghyuk about it after he’d gotten home, unable to keep it to himself. Their texts couldn’t have been more different if they’d tried. While Donghyuk had replied in excitement and asked for details, Junhoe’s response had been one single word, but it had actually comforted Hanbin, because it was exactly what he’d been expecting. ‘Congratulations?’ Junhoe would listen if Hanbin wanted to gush, but he wasn’t the type to get nosy for details like Donghyuk.

“What did you do at the park?” Jinhwan asked, grinning and leaning in closer. Hanbin got the cutest dimples when he smiled, and Jinhwan could see why Bobby had gotten weak for him. Jinhwan preferred his guys to have a bit of a ier edge to them, while Bobby liked the cute ones. It was a little wild that they'd managed to find a set of best friends who so perfectly matched their ideal types.

“Ah, well, I don’t know, this might not seem all that exciting to you,” Hanbin began, slightly embarrassed to talk about it, “but he gave me a . Right outside, I was looking up at the sky, it was awesome.”

Jinhwan grinned and patted his arm. “Ah, you’re cute, Bin-ah! Just wait until you guys start ing outside, then you’ll really be in good.”

“Hyung!” Hanbin shot him a scandalized look and Jinhwan couldn’t help but laugh.

“What? Have you guys not ed yet?” Jinhwan knew the answer was no (which he was still surprised about) but he was curious if Hanbin would actually talk about it. Maybe it was pushing their new friendship a little too much. Maybe not.

Hanbin shook his head, curious eyes on Jinhwan. “No, not yet. I want to, but, we just haven’t really had an opportunity.” Jinhwan looked surprised and Hanbin wondered if Bobby had talked about it with him. Would it be weird for him, to hear about Hanbin in an intimate way? Is that why Bobby hadn’t said anything to him?

Jinhwan nodded, deciding to bite back a teasing comment about it for once. “It’ll be amazing when you do, he really cares about you. I know he’ll make it good.”

Hanbin ducked his head down at the comment, though he looked pleased. Jinhwan could still see his ears turning pink, though. But his next question caught Jinhwan off guard.

“Hyung, have you ever been in love?”

Jinhwan didn’t hesitate before answering. “I have.” He wasn’t in love anymore, but he knew himself well enough to know that he had been at the time.

“What was it like, for you?” Hanbin asked, and he looked so desperate for an answer that Jinhwan couldn’t help but .

“Well, I still feel it, to be honest. Every single time I look in the mirror and see my own face I get butterflies in my stomach.” Jinhwan winked at him and didn’t bother dodging when Hanbin lashed out and punched him in the arm. It just made Jinhwan laugh harder.

“I’m serious!” Hanbin protested.

“I couldn’t help myself, sorry!” Jinhwan replied with a smirk. “Being in love, though, to be honest at the time it felt amazing, I guess it kind of made me feel a little invincible? Which is kind of dorky, I know. Looking back on it now, honestly while it was exciting it was also a little scary. That someone can have the power over you to make you feel a bunch of different things, without even doing anything. Worrying that the person you love will never love you back as strong, that was tough. Always wondering if that one will be the one or not. Afraid to even bring it up.” Hanbin nodded and Jinhwan felt a little surprised at how nice it felt to say it all out loud. He’d never really talked to anyone about what being with Eric had been like for him, and even though Hanbin didn’t know who Jinhwan was talking about, just discussing the seriousness of the feelings with him made him feel better. It felt like it was relieving a little bit of tension that he didn’t realize he’d been carrying around.

Hanbin thought Jinhwan had summed it all up perfectly. He couldn’t stop thinking about it after last night, couldn’t get the feelings out of his head no matter what he did. He was certain that he was in love with Bobby, it wasn’t just some rushed teenage romance that would fizzle out in a month’s time.

Jinhwan waited for Hanbin to respond, but when he didn’t, when he just looked up at the sky with a thoughtful expression, Jinhwan couldn’t help but be nosy. “Are you in love with Bobby?”

Hanbin nodded, glanced at Jinhwan and smiled. “Yeah, I think so. But I’ve never really been in love before, so I don’t know. I wanted to tell him, last night, but I couldn’t. Do you think he’d freak out if I said it?”

Jinhwan almost couldn’t believe they were having this conversation. It felt like he was filming some drama. “Guaranteed, under normal circumstances, he’d freak out. Any other guy and he’d probably run for the hills.”

“Ah, hyung! You’re not helping!” Hanbin whined, smacking Jinhwan’s arm.

Jinhwan grinned. “I said under normal circumstances! You are a different case.” Hanbin pouted at him and Jinhwan laughed. “Oh stop it, if you want my honest opinion? I think Bobby’s in love with you too.”

“Do you really think so?” Hanbin looked more vulnerable than Jinhwan would have expected, and it made him feel suddenly soft.

“I do, but I don’t think he realizes it yet. I’ve known him long enough to be able to tell, though. He still might freak out a little if you say it to him, but you won’t scare him off, if that’s what you were worried about.”

“Thanks, hyung.” Hanbin looked happy with the answer.

Jinhwan felt good about being able to help Hanbin out. He would have done anything to have someone to talk to when he was with Eric. He'd been too paranoid, though, too worried about it somehow getting back to Eric's family. “You guys make a cute couple, you’re good for him.”

“Hey speaking of cute couples, are you and Junhoe still training together?”

“Junhoe and I are not a couple, but nice try.” Hanbin gave him a look of disbelief that made Jinhwan reach out and swat his arm. “Honestly! Stop trying to hook us up, you’re making Junhoe look desperate.”

“No hyung, I’m desperate! I mean think about it, the four of us hang out together all the time. We could double date.” Hanbin grinned at him, and Jinhwan shook his head.

“Hanbin, no, don’t be gross.” Jinhwan couldn’t help but laugh, though. He shouldn’t be encouraging Hanbin, not after his talk with Eric.

“Come on! It would be fun. You could have a test run date this upcoming weekend.”

“Why do you sound like you have something planned already?” Jinhwan asked.

“Junhoe and I have a really important math test this week, he’s been studying really hard for it. I think, as a prize for doing well, we should go do something fun.”

Jinhwan thought he ought to say no. He couldn’t tell Hanbin about what was going on between he and Junhoe, but he couldn’t keep playing into Hanbin’s little fantasies either. “I’m almost afraid to ask what your idea of a fun double date would be.”

“I was thinking of going to Lotte World. I haven’t been since I was a kid, I thought it would be fun.”

The answer was unexpected. “An amusement park? God, Hanbin, that’s both disgusting and adorable. I’m in.” Jinhwan loved amusement parks, and if it had been any other idea he might have said no. But this was something he couldn't turn down.

Hanbin looked a little surprised at his immediate agreement. “You want to?”

Jinhwan nodded. “For sure! It won’t be a date, but I’ll definitely go with you guys.”

“Might turn into a date by the end of it.” Hanbin winked at him, and Jinhwan smacked him again.

This was not going to turn into an actual date. He and Junhoe would just have to be vigilant about not giving anything away. They'd have to take advantage of dark corners in haunted houses and roller coasters if they wanted to do anything exciting. Jinhwan had never made out at an amusement park before, but he wanted to.



“Okay be honest with me—what the hell have you been doing lately? Your defensive form has improved so much.” 

Junhoe sat up and reached for his water bottle, taking a long swig before replying to Seungri. “Nothing, hyung, it must be God’s blessing.” 

“Come over here so I can slap you.” Seungri replied, holding his hand out and glaring at Junhoe. 

Junhoe just laughed, though, staying out of reach. “Seriously, hyung! I think it’s a sign.” 

“Yeah it’s a sign alright,” Seungri sat up and reached for his own bottle, “a sign that I’m going to kick your for real.” He took a sip of his water before squirting some of it at Junhoe, who got hit in the neck. 

“Ah, hyung! It’s burning, what did you put in there?” Junhoe played along, in good spirits after the compliment. 

Seungri winked at him. “Holy water.” 

Junhoe laughed and laid back down on the mat, arms stretched up over his head. “Ah you got me, I really made a deal with the devil.” 

“I figured as much.” 

Junhoe grinned to himself, because it kind of was half true, really. Jinhwan could certainly play the role of the devil rather convincingly. “Alright in all honesty, I’ve actually been training with someone different for the past few weeks.” 

“Oh? Who's that?” 

“You’re probably going to laugh at this, but I’ve been training with Jinhwan.” 

Seungri met him with a blank stare of disbelief. “Your old mortal enemy Jinhwan? The one who keeps kicking your ?” 

Junhoe glared at him. “Yes, that one. I lost to him a few times, but then I lost to that other short guy too, Jimin, and I realized that maybe I just needed to train with someone short, you know?” 

Seungri looked impressed after hearing the explanation. “Wow, personal growth? Who are you?” 

“Oh shut up!” Junhoe looked around for something to throw at him, but there was nothing besides his water bottle. 

“Okay jokes aside, that actually is smart thinking, and you can hate me all you want, but it is really good character development for you. I’ve known you long enough, Junhoe-ya, a year ago you never would have been caught dead asking someone like Jinhwan for help. I’m proud of you, you're growing up.” Seungri said the last part teasingly and Junhoe grit his teeth and just took it. 

Besides—loathe as he was to admit it, Seungri was right. He never would have asked a competitor for help before, his pride would have gotten in the way. But now? Well, now his pride was more concerned with actually getting better at the sport, and if that meant asking someone like Jinhwan for help, then he’d do it. 

“Hey speaking of development, when are you finally gonna go for your brown belt, hyung? I feel like you’ve been a purple forever.” 

Seungri grinned at the question. “Soon, probably. I took a year of competitive fighting off for school, but I have that under control now, so I think I’ll probably look at doing it in the spring. Do a few tournaments first, kick your in at least one of them. Why are you asking?” 

Junhoe shrugged but knew his comment might get inflammatory. “Jinhwan hyung’s actually testing for his brown belt this month, so you should really get moving on that. I’d kill to see you guys fight each other.” 

Seungri shook his head. “Ah, is he, now? Can’t let your tiny friend get ahead of me. Who do you think would win if we fought each other?” Seungri’s gaze was focused on Junhoe, eyes narrowed. 

Junhoe grinned and winked at him. “I’d bet money on Jinhwan kicking your .” 

Seungri looked every bit as disappointed as Junhoe had hoped. “What?! Come over here and say that to my face so I can choke you out afterwards.” 

Junhoe just laughed. “He might be small but he’s tough! Eric Kwon trained him, after all.” 

“Ah right, your celebrity crush?” Seungri teased, squirting water at Junhoe again when he glared at him. 

“ off, hyung,  one time I said I thought he was hot!” Seungri squirted him again and Junhoe lunged at him. “Quit it with the damn water!” Seungri was too busy laughing to fight back, easily allowing Junhoe to get him in an armbar. “God, hyung, you’re so annoying!” Junhoe held the lock on him until Seungri told him to let go, and then they both sat up, Seungri still laughing and Junhoe trying not to. 

“Ah, you know what, Junhoe? I’m happy you got over your jealous anger against Jinhwan. I didn’t like seeing you so worked up all the time, it was weird.” 

Junhoe felt uncomfortable hearing him say it. “Ah, it was nothing, just a momentary period of aggravation.” 

“No seriously, you’ve never fixated on someone so much before. To be honest I thought you had a thing for him.” Seungri grinned and this time made sure he was ready in case Junhoe decided to lunge at him again. 

“I do not have a thing for him!” Junhoe replied, probably a little more defensively than he should have reacted. 

“I mean, the more I think about it… You really did let him dominate you, especially in that first match.” Seungri paused, like he was waiting for Junhoe to reply. 

Junhoe hated himself for giving in. “Your point?” He asked in a harsh tone, though he was sure he knew where Seungri was going. 

“Probably your subconscious getting to you, wanting to live the fantasy before making a move.” 

Junhoe lunged at him the second he said it, unable to help himself in the moment. But Seungri was ready for him and pulled him into an ankle lock.

“Why are you so upset? Did I hit a nerve?” Seungri teased, tickling the bottom of Junhoe’s foot. 

“ off, hyung!” Junhoe replied, struggling and yelling out a curse at the tickle. 

“Ah, you have a crush on him, don’t you?” Seungri teased again, finally letting go when Junhoe wouldn’t stop swearing at him. Normally he’d scold him for it, but Seungri was too amused at the defensive reaction to the teasing to care right now. 

“You’re an idiot,” Junhoe replied as he sat up, glaring a hole in Seungri’s head, “I do not have a crush on Jinhwan!” 

“Okay maybe not a full crush, but you think he’s hot, right?” Seungri asked. 

“That has nothing to do with anything!” Junhoe replied, because there wasn’t really any point in denying that he thought Jinhwan was attractive. He was. But that didn’t mean anything! 

“Ah, my little bro’s head over heels!” Seungri teased again, and Junhoe finally managed to get ahold of himself. Why had he gotten so defensive right away at the teasing? It was just harmless fun. Seungri was one of the few guys at the club who’d never had a problem with Junhoe coming out as gay. He should be happy that Seungri was willing to about being attracted to guys. Most of the others would try to avoid the topic altogether. 

So he took a swig from his water bottle and shook his head, finally grinning in response to the teasing. Whatever. It was no big deal. The important thing was that he was learning a lot from Jinhwan—both on the mat and off. Honestly it was a bonus that he actually thought Jinhwan was attractive. 

But being physically attracted wasn’t the same as being romantically attracted, and despite how well they got along together, Junhoe was definitely not romantically attracted to Jinhwan. 

Not one bit. 

Maybe he would have grown to be, if Jinhwan hadn’t demanded they keep it strictly no emotions. Then again, maybe not. 

All that mattered was what he was getting out of the deal. And what he was getting was top quality. 

He’d endure the teasing for it. It was worth it.