Muscle Memory

Passing the Guard

Okay so at one point Jinhwan mentions a violinist he's got concert tickets to go and see and he shows a video of the guy. I just wanted to link you guys to the video because it's gorgeous and beautiful and this dude is legit stunning: Amadéus Leopold.

Apart from that, JunHwan is FINALLY about to get underway soon... Thank you to everyone who has been so patient. 20 chapters. 100,000+ words. Saints, all of you. ;)
 


“I want to ask you something, but you have to be serious about it, okay? This isn't a joke.”

Hanbin looked up from his phone, casting a concerned look at his best friend. “Okay, I promise I'll give you a serious answer.”

Junhoe hesitated before asking, giving himself a final moment to decide whether or not this planned course of action might just be a big mistake. “After this weekend I've been doing some thinking,” he began, keeping his gaze on Hanbin, “I feel like for the first time I've really been tested with jiu jitsu. I mean, I know it's not the first match I've lost, but something feels different. Maybe it's because I was at a lower level, so it's not like my losses before were by really impressive and flashy moves or anything, you know? But I'm at a higher level now, doing harder stuff, and I just feel like I'm lacking something.”

Hanbin nodded, setting his phone down on the table. “That makes sense, Seungri told you that fighting at purple would feel different, didn't he? You'd get a wider array of fighting styles, and you'd face guys who were much better fighters.”

Junhoe nodded, though he'd forgotten Seungri's advice. Hanbin had a good memory for that sort of thing, though. “Well, as good as I felt about fighting Jimin, and I know I fought a better fight that time, I still feel like he was better than me at certain things. Like I really had to think hard about what I was doing, but he seemed like it was more natural to him? I watched the match back a few times and I feel like he fought more calmly than I did.”

“Did you mention it to your coach?”

Junhoe nodded, but he looked a little troubled. “I did, but I guess he couldn't really see it the same way. He thinks I've just lost a bit of confidence in myself.”

Hanbin was a little surprised at Junhoe's chosen topic of discussion. It wasn't often that Junhoe willingly brought up serious matters himself. “Well, you kind of have, haven't you? You told me you were nervous about fighting Jinhwan because you thought he'd beat you.”

“Sure, I said that, but that's not a confidence thing. I know I'm still a good fighter, but I have a lot to learn at this stage. You can still be confident even if you know you're probably going to lose to someone, right? Just because someone is better than me, that doesn't mean that I'm not good.”

Hanbin tried to keep himself from smiling too much. This was so strange to hear out of Junhoe's mouth. “You have a point.”

Junhoe nodded, feeling a little better about the discussion with Hanbin's reaction so far. “Anyway, back to Jimin, it was so obvious to me the more I watched the match back. I would always pause for a second to figure out what I should do, but he never did. He just seemed to go for things.”

“You used to fight like that too, so are you sure it's not just a confidence thing?” Hanbin asked.

“No, the difference is that I wasn't always concerned with doing the smart thing, I would do the dominant thing. But Jimin always did the smart thing, every single time. He never made a bad choice, and with as many good choices as I've made in my past matches, I used to make a lot of bad ones too. Sometimes I'd get lucky and my opponent wouldn't capitalize on them, but that doesn't hide the fact that I made them, you know?” Junhoe was certain he was right. If he wanted to really improve, then he needed to put his pride aside and look at the hard facts. When things were going your way, it was easy to overlook your mistakes. But when things stopped going your way, that's when you really had to buckle down and take a long hard look at everything.

Hanbin thought it was an interesting discussion for Junhoe to be having. He wasn't really the type who liked to admit to mistakes, preferring quiet correction without drawing any attention to the wrongdoing. But for him to admit out loud that he was lacking in certain ways... Hanbin was curious about the reason. “So what exactly did you want to ask me about, then?”

Junhoe was relieved that Hanbin had taken this all seriously so far, and he hoped he wouldn't laugh when Junhoe told him what he was thinking of doing. Junhoe didn't mind Hanbin's teasing the majority of the time, but something about this was making him feel vulnerable, and it wasn't something he was used to feeling. So he met Hanbin's gaze and held it for a moment, and when he saw only serious concern in Hanbin's expression he finally spoke.

“I was thinking of asking Jinhwan if we could train together.”

There—he'd said it. It was out, and it felt weird. Junhoe almost felt a little awkward suggesting it, like it wasn't a serious option.

Hanbin was shocked, but ultimately pleased and even just a little proud. Asking someone for help was not something that came easily to Junhoe. Even after all their years of friendship, Hanbin still sometimes had to bully Junhoe into letting him help him with certain things. It was just Junhoe's stubborn insecure pride. Hanbin wanted to promote this sort of thinking so he gave Junhoe a soft smile as he answered.

“I think that's actually a really good idea.”

“Do you?” Junhoe asked him, relieved Hanbin hadn't laughed at him, but also curious to know why he agreed. Mostly Junhoe was just seeking validation for his decision, and Hanbin always thought about things in an intelligent manner so Junhoe trusted his opinion.

“Oh, for sure. He was amazing on the weekend, his fights were really impressive. Everyone could see it, watching him. He stood out. But really, though, you're the one who would know best, because you've fought him. You know more than anyone if he's better than you are. If you think you can learn something from him, then go for it.”

“Do you think he'd want to?” Junhoe asked, and that was really his biggest concern. Would Jinhwan actually want to help him? If there was any chance of Jinhwan saying no, than Junhoe didn't even want to bother asking. There was only so much his pride could handle at one time, and asking for help was already taxing enough. Rejection would probably have him hiding his head in the sand for a week.

“Do you think he won't?” Hanbin asked, a little surprised that Junhoe was even contemplating rejection.

“I don't know,” Junhoe shrugged, struggling to find a way to voice what he was feeling, “we're still competitors, so maybe it would be weird? We're not at the same club, it might be awkward.”

“But he's said before that he really enjoys training people, right? He likes helping the kids at his club.”

Junhoe glared at him for that comment. “So you're comparing me to some little kid white belt now?”

Hanbin shook his head. “No, idiot! He likes helping people who need his help. You need his help. Why would he say no? I think, if anything, he'd be excited, right? Probably feel like it's a huge compliment, coming from you.”

Junhoe frowned, trying his best to tamper down the nerves that were unsettling his stomach. “I don't know, I mean I think so, but—”

“But you'd be embarrassed if he said no.” Hanbin answered, grinning when he saw Junhoe's expression confirm his suspicions. “What's more important to you? Getting help from someone who you think can help you, or being embarrassed for a day because you get turned down?”

As much as Junhoe needed to have the discussion drawn out like this, he still felt humiliated by it already. “I hear what you're saying. It's just, ah , Hanbin. You know I'm at asking people for help.”

Hanbin laughed at that point. “Understatement of the year. But you brought it up, so you're going to do it. Tonight, actually.” Junhoe shook his head in protest but Hanbin just grinned and picked up his phone. “I'm gonna text Bobby and set something up for after school.”

“Hanbin, no, I think I should think about this a little more--”

“No ing way. The longer you think about it, the less inclined you'll be to do it. I know you, I know how your brain works. You're asking him tonight, and if you don't do it, I'll do it for you.”

“The you will!” Junhoe replied, bristling in irritation.

Hanbin grinned at his outburst. This was one of those moments when he unashamedly bullied Junhoe into doing something he didn't want to do. “Why don't I text him right now?” He met Junhoe's gaze. “Hey Jinhwan hyung, Junhoe really wants to learn some jiu jitsu moves from you, but he's too much of a chicken to ask. Can you subtly suggest it yourself when we meet up after school?”

“ off, Hanbin,” Junhoe replied, falling for it the way he always fell for it, “I'll ing ask him myself, okay? Do whatever you have to do to get him out. Don't say a word to him though.”

Hanbin rolled his eyes and started typing a message to Bobby. “Sure, Junhoe, whatever you say. I'll believe it when I see it.”

“I'll ing do it!” Junhoe replied, and it wasn't until an hour later, when he was sitting in science class, that he realized that Hanbin had somehow managed to talk him into agreeing. He couldn't back out now, either. If he did, then Hanbin would pounce on the opportunity. He would just have to it up and ask Jinhwan.
 



They were sitting outside a little cafe in Hongdae, iced coffees for Jinhwan and Junhoe, milkshakes for Hanbin and Bobby, discussing the merits of open world RPG style video games versus linear first person shooters. Bobby had just started playing the new Fallout game recently, and Jinhwan was teasing him for wanting to spend so much time on it.

Junhoe had gotten up to head for the bathroom as Bobby started discussing the merit points of formulating relationships in video games when Jinhwan suddenly interrupted him mid-sentence.

“Oh my god,” Jinhwan gasped, eyes on his phone, mouth wide in shock.

“What?” Bobby asked, annoyed with his dramatic interruption. Sometimes Jinhwan did it for the dumbest reasons, just to draw attention to himself when he had nothing substantial to add to a discussion.

“Seiyeon just messaged me,” Jinhwan began explaining, “as a gift for winning this weekend, she just got us tickets to go and see our favourite violinist!”

Bobby groaned and rolled his eyes. “Wow, so exciting, so worthy of interrupting someone mid-way through a sentence!”

“No, you don't get it! This guy,” Jinhwan paused for a moment, looking longingly at his phone screen, “Seiyeon and I both love him. He's gorgeous!”

“Jinan, keep it in your pants.” Bobby teased, kicking him under the table.

“Okay, fine, Bobby you won't care anyway, but Hanbin! You would love this guy!” Jinhwan finally looked up from his phone, meeting Hanbin's curious expression. “Trust me, he goes by the name Amadéus Leopold--”

“Seriously?” Hanbin asked, voice heavy with skepticism. “That's his stage name?”

Jinhwan brushed his complaint aside. “With the way he plays and looks, he can call himself whatever the he wants. Here, just watch this video and you'll flip out, I guarantee it!” Jinhwan cued up a video and passed his phone to Hanbin, who was a little more intrigued with Jinhwan's description.

“Jinan, my boyfriend is already nerdy enough, could you please stop?” Bobby teased. He hadn't ever heard Jinhwan mention this violin player before (and he wasn't that interested, really) but the second he heard Hanbin gasp Bobby's attention was focused on the screen.

“Oh my god,” Hanbin whispered, pausing the video to look at Jinhwan, “you weren't kidding.”

“Right?!” Jinhwan practically squealed in reply, excited that Hanbin shared his interest. “His show was sold out a minute after tickets went on sale, I've been dying to see him! I don't know how she got tickets but I can't believe it!”

“He might just be the prettiest man on the planet,” Hanbin replied, unpausing the video only to pause it again a few seconds later. “I mean his face--”

“The bone structure, right? His cheekbones kill me!” Jinhwan replied, stamping his feet on the floor.

Bobby rolled his eyes and slumped back in his seat. “He's a little too pretty, in my opinion. I mean, look at all the makeup he's got on! He looks so feminine.”

“Well yeah, that's why I said he's the prettiest man on the planet, and not the most handsome!” Hanbin replied, before teasingly nuzzling Bobby's chin. Bobby pushed him away though, and when Hanbin just grinned and started watching the video again, it made Bobby feel irritated.

“Don't be jealous!” Jinhwan shot back at him, grinning when Bobby gave himself away in his expression. “It's okay, Bobby! There will always be someone in life way hotter than you. I'm sure this won't be the last guy Hanbin swoons over that isn't you.”

Bobby was about to give a snappy response back, but Hanbin laughed at Jinhwan's comment, and it just ended up annoying him instead. Whatever. So Hanbin was into some pretty violin player, no big deal. It's not like he'd expected Hanbin to never comment about another guy again. It was some musician, not a guy in real life. There was no need for Bobby to feel threatened.

“Okay you have to take this back otherwise I will sit here all night and keep replaying it,” Hanbin said, sliding Jinhwan's phone back to him. At that moment Junhoe returned.

“Junhoe-ya! I know you've never heard of this guy either, so watch this video so you know who Hanbin is going to be rambling about all week.” Jinhwan teased, which made Hanbin laugh again and Bobby sulk. Junhoe's eyes widened as he watched the video.

“I didn't think you were into pretty guys, Bin.” Junhoe replied after watching the video.

“What do you mean? I've always liked pretty guys!” Hanbin replied.

“Then why do you always date ugly ones?” Junhoe teased back, and they all laughed about it. Except for Bobby.

“I don't date ugly guys!” Hanbin whined after he stopped laughing.

“Well Bobby's not exactly pretty,” Jinhwan added, eyes on his best friend. Bobby seemed a little sulkier than Jinhwan would have expected.

“Just because I like pretty looking guys, that doesn't mean they're the only type of guys I like!” Hanbin explained.

“So we know you're not with Bobby for his looks, obviously not with him for his intelligence either, so what is keeping you hooked?” Jinhwan asked, grinning when Bobby glared at him.

Hanbin turned to Bobby, smiling at him before letting his eyes trail down to his arms. “Muscles.”

That made everyone laugh again, but Bobby just gave a fake grin, trying to keep his irritation tamped down. “You're dating me for my muscles? That's it?”

“Well, your chest and your abs too.” Hanbin cheekily replied with a wink.

Bobby shook his head and tried to push him away. He knew in the back of his mind that he was being an idiot right now, but he couldn't stop the feelings from surfacing. It had never been this bad, never hit him this hard that maybe, just maybe, they weren't really a perfect match for each other. Or rather, maybe he wasn't the perfect match for Hanbin.

“Is that all?” Jinhwan prompted, still watching Bobby sulk about Hanbin's answers.

“He's got a rugged, manly charm about him too!” Hanbin replied, teasingly cuddling up to his boyfriend again. Bobby once more tried to push him away but Hanbin was persistent, needling his way in without realizing that Bobby was actually upset over it. Hanbin kissed his chin before staring up at him with a cute expression. “Oppaaaa-” he teasingly whined into Bobby's ear.

“Oh god, disgusting!” Junhoe said, kicking Hanbin under the table. “Take your lewd behaviour somewhere else!”

“Maybe I will!” Hanbin shot back, winking at Junhoe before turning back to Bobby. “I want another churro, let's go get one!”

“Go get it yourself.” Bobby sulkily replied, not budging when Hanbin stood up.

“Hyung!” Hanbin whined, pushing him towards the edge of his seat. “Come and buy me one!”

“Buy it yourself!” Bobby snapped back, crossing his arms over his chest. “You just spent the past few minutes gushing over how hot some other guy is, and you want me to buy you dessert now?” Bobby tried his best to sound like he was joking, even though he wasn't.

Hanbin bought the act. “Okay fine. I'll buy you one!” Hanbin said with a laugh.

“Oh go with him, Bobby!” Jinhwan huffed in irritation, but it was just for show. He could tell Bobby was still annoyed.

“Ugh, fine! You're all against me!” Bobby replied, glaring at Jinhwan and Junhoe.

“I didn't even say anything!” Junhoe added, laughing as he watched Hanbin struggling against Bobby.

“Guilty by association!” Bobby replied, grinning when it at least made the others laugh. But then he finally relented and stood up, and even though he wanted to stay annoyed, he couldn't help but smile softly when Hanbin stood next to him and looped his arms around Bobby's back, cuddling into his side as he led him away from their table.

He really had it bad for Hanbin.

“Okay, so I don't actually want another churro,” Hanbin quickly started to explain, “I just needed to give Junhoe some time alone with Jinhwan.”

“What? Why?” Bobby looked down at him, a frown creasing his face.

“Junhoe wanted to ask him something.” Hanbin replied with a smug look, and Bobby pulled them to a stop.

“He's not asking him out, is he?” Bobby asked, sighing in relief when Hanbin shook his head.

“Not yet! I'm sure that'll come soon enough.” Hanbin replied, grinning when Bobby's arm tightened around his shoulder.

“Not on my watch!” Bobby said.

“He's asking Jinhwan if they can train together.”

Bobby whined at the explanation. “Ah, really? That's almost as bad!”

Hanbin laughed victoriously before pulling Bobby along. “Yeah, it's only a matter of time, now!”

Bobby groaned, but secretly he thought it was nice, if not a little surprising. Junhoe hadn't struck him as the type to do something like that.

“So, hyung, I don't want a churro, but there is something that I do kind of want.” Hanbin said, grinning slyly back at Bobby as he pulled him towards the empty alleyway that ran along the back of a ramen shop near where they'd been sitting.

Bobby's interest was piqued at Hanbin's comment. “Oh? And what's that?”

Hanbin was quiet until they passed a stack of crates that was just tall enough to hide them from view. Without warning he pushed Bobby up against the wall and leaned in against him, his tongue pushing its way into Bobby's mouth.

Bobby's hands slid from Hanbin's waist down to his , squeezing as he pulled Hanbin in against him. When Hanbin's groin connected with Bobby's leg, Bobby grinned in triumph. Hanbin was already half hard, just from kissing him. Even though they were out in public Bobby decided to be a little mean. Just to make Hanbin pay for ogling the stupid violinist.

He slid one of his hands in between Hanbin's legs, squeezing Hanbin's until it made his boyfriend gasp.

“Hyung!” Hanbin hissed, half in censure and half in pleasure.

“Mm? Something bothering you?” Bobby asked, staring Hanbin in the eyes and squeezing his hand again.

Hanbin smiled and squirmed a little in his arms before leaning forward again to kiss him. Bobby moved his other hand from Hanbin's up to his neck, his fingers reaching up to rub at the buzzed hair at the base of Hanbin's skull. While Hanbin was distracted by the kissing, Bobby slipped his hand inside Hanbin's pants, grabbing him again through only his underwear.

“Hyung!” Hanbin hissed again, pulling his face back. His expression was pure excitement, though. “Would you quit it?”

Bobby gave him a clueless look. “What, I can't touch you anymore? I thought you liked it.”

Hanbin grinned and leaned his face into Bobby's neck. “Yeah, but we're out in public!”

“You're the one who pulled me down here,” Bobby replied, rubbing his hand until Hanbin was fully hard. Hanbin squirmed again and his breath hitched a little in his throat, and Bobby thought it was the hottest thing he'd ever heard.

“I just wanted a kiss,” Hanbin replied, though it was clear from the way that he was slowly pushing against Bobby's hand that he was more than okay with what they were doing, “you're so mean.”

“I'm mean, and you're mine.” Bobby replied darkly, and Hanbin kissed him again. All of Bobby's insecurities of earlier were chased back down his throat by Hanbin's tongue. So what if Hanbin thought some pretty little violin player was hot? Hanbin was still into Bobby, really into Bobby if this was any indication. Bobby couldn't care less about some stupid violinist. He was irrelevant.
 



Jinhwan had watched Hanbin and Bobby walk away with a bit of concern, worried about how jealous Bobby seemed to be getting over Hanbin's reaction to the violinist. Maybe he ought to talk to him about it, because Bobby wasn't really the jealous type (or maybe he'd just never dated someone he cared about enough before to be jealous over). But for now his more pressing concern was sitting right next to him. “Alright, obviously you need to ask me something, because that was a pretty awkwardly handled dragging off. So, out with it.”

Junhoe was surprised at Jinhwan's bluntness, and he took a deep breath before asking, steeling himself for whatever Jinhwan’s response would be. He wasn’t used to opening himself up like this, wasn’t used to asking someone else for help (at least not someone like Jinhwan, someone who wasn’t that far off from where he was, someone who wasn’t that much older than him).

“Well, I was thinking, you know after this weekend, I’ve just thought a lot about things. Ah, this is tough, I’m sorry. But, well, you and Jimin both beat me the same way, and it got me thinking, maybe there’s something wrong with the way I’m training?” Saying it felt like pulling his own teeth out, it was so awkward and painful. But it was out, and now all he had to do was wait.

Jinhwan looked at him in surprise, not expecting the direction he’d ended up going in. Was Junhoe asking him what he thought he was asking him?

“Do you want to train together some time?” Jinhwan came out and asked, smiling when Junhoe nodded.

He felt relieved that Jinhwan offered, relieved that he hadn't just been laughed at. “I don’t know, maybe it’s just because you’re both short, and I don’t have anyone that small at the club to practice with. But I feel like you both kept getting out of holds because my grip was off? And well, that stupid spider guard got me both times.”

Jinhwan grinned. “It did, didn’t it? I guess, since I’ll be going for my brown belt soon, I might as well share some of my secrets with you. It’s only fair.”

Junhoe was grateful he’d agreed to it, but he also couldn’t help but feel slightly embarrassed at having asked. Whatever. He didn’t need to feel weird! It was intelligent, asking Jinhwan for help. He could train with Seungri, but it wasn’t the same. Seungri was bigger than Jinhwan, but his fighting style was completely different, it was more similar to Junhoe’s. Junhoe had trouble specifically when it came to fighting smaller opponents. So it only made sense that he should train with smaller opponents.

“So when do you want to start? And where? Do you want to come to my club? Will your trainers be pissed?” Jinhwan asked.

Junhoe shrugged. “I don’t know, I don’t think so? I mean, it’s not like I think my training is lacking. But everyone at my club is taller, like it’s weird when I think about it. The only guys who are close to your size are like, kids.” Junhoe couldn’t help but laugh when he thought about it, especially when Jinhwan frowned and hit his arm.

“Okay, god, you don’t need to insult me!”

“I’m not! I’m just being honest.” Junhoe grinned and laughed again, which only prompted Jinhwan to hit him again. But he was smiling, so Junhoe knew he wasn’t really upset.

“Okay, are you free on Wednesday? Do you want to start then?” Junhoe agreed on the day, so Jinhwan made sure to get his phone number so he could text him directions to his club.

“Thanks, hyung. I appreciate you helping me out. I know it’s weird since we’re kind of competitors.”

“No, I’m happy to help! I mean, we’re competitors, sure, but we’re also friends, right?” Jinhwan replied, and the almost shy way Junhoe smiled back had him feeling like maybe training together was going to be a really good thing? They’d finally get to interact one-on-one, without Hanbin and Bobby around.

“Alright, so, Wednesday, then! I’m looking forward to it.”

“Me too! I promise I’ll go easy on you the first time.” Jinhwan teased, and this time it was Junhoe’s turn to smack him playfully.
 



“Tighten up your hold,” Jinhwan instructed, looking in the mirror and adjusting Junhoe’s hand positioning, “you’re giving me too much room there, it’s barely any resistance at all.”

Junhoe did as instructed, getting used to altering his hold based on Jinhwan’s smaller size. “It feels so weird, like I feel like I’m not holding it tight enough.”

“Now that you say that, I wonder if maybe your problem isn’t that you can’t gauge a hold properly based on size, but that you’re not doing it that way at all? I feel like maybe you’re judging where you should grab based on your own arm span, if you know what I mean? Like muscle memory, this is how much space you normally have when you do this in training, because you always train with bigger guys? Like maybe you don’t actually focus on where your hands are based on your opponent, but you base them on where they are in relation to each other?” Jinhwan hoped Junhoe understood what he was trying to say.

Junhoe took a moment to contemplate what Jinhwan was saying. Was it true, maybe? It certainly made sense. “I think you’re right,” he replied, “I think I always do kind of default to the same spot regardless of who I’m fighting.”

“Okay so pay attention to that this time. Let’s start over. Try and ignore what your body’s telling you to do, and think about it instead. You know what to do, you just need to learn how to switch it up for someone smaller.” They untangled themselves and got back into a guard position, Junhoe on his back and Jinhwan on top.

Junhoe really hoped that Jinhwan had figured out his problem. Not that he liked the idea of having a problem, but better to pinpoint it if it did exist and learn how to overcome it. It was just weird that it was something no one else had picked up on before. Then again, maybe it was hard to figure something out if you didn’t experience it first hand, or if you didn’t make the right sort of comment that prompted the right sort of comment in return.

This time when he went for his hold, he focused on what he was doing instead of going from memory, looking at the placement of his hands on Jinhwan’s leg. It felt weird when he clamped it in, he felt like he didn’t have enough power on it. But Jinhwan tapped out after a few seconds.

“You definitely had it in the right spot that time,” Jinhwan said, “it wasn’t very strong and I could have gotten out, but your placement was perfect. How come you didn’t have it tight?”

“Ah, honestly it felt weird? I think I just need to practice holding it like that. I think you were right though, I’m just doing everything based on muscle memory from training. I think once I figure out how to keep it tight I’ll be fine.”

Jinhwan grinned back at him. “Great, so I take it this means that you want to spend the next half hour working out how to hold it tightly on me?”

“Pretty much, yeah?” Junhoe answered, grinning when Jinhwan frowned.

“I guess I shouldn’t complain, I have been kind of lonely lately.” He winked at Junhoe before getting back into position for him.

“Would it help if I promised to take you for dinner after?” Junhoe joked back.

“Well, I mean, I suppose I could do it out of the goodness of my heart, but who would say no to dinner, right?” Jinhwan replied. In all honesty, he was just happy that he’d manage to figure out Junhoe’s problem right away. This was part of what he really loved about helping to train others. He really liked being able to figure out a problem that was evading other people. It made him feel like this was indeed his calling.

They practised that particular hold for a little while before switching to leg locks, where he once again helped Junhoe figure out how to adjust his holds properly. Jinhwan was a little surprised at how easily Junhoe seemed to take to his advice. Even after getting to know him, Junhoe had struck him as the type who would bristle when it came to someone pointing out that he was doing something wrong. Not that there was anything wrong with that (because no one liked having their mistakes pointed out so openly) but Junhoe didn’t seem bothered at all with every little correction Jinhwan made.

Junhoe himself was surprised as well. He didn’t take criticism well, and usually had to struggle more to accept it with a calm expression. But for some reason having Jinhwan point out what he was doing wrong was easy. Maybe it was because Jinhwan had beaten him already, and Junhoe accepted that Jinhwan was just better than he was? He couldn’t pretend to be a better fighter than Jinhwan, because he’d already been tested and lost twice (three times, maybe, since he’d lost to Jimin, who had gone on to lose to Jinhwan).

Whatever it was he was happy, because this practice session really was useful. He felt like this was a problem he would need to unlock and master before he could really hope to advance. He knew how to do the moves properly, but actually applying them effectively was a whole other thing he had to learn, as Jinhwan was teaching him now.
 



After three different training sessions, Junhoe was seeing improvement. Adjusting his holds based on his opponent’s body size didn’t feel so awkward anymore. Jinhwan was teaching him how to properly do a spider guard now, correcting technique. Junhoe still couldn’t manage to get out of it when Jinhwan had it on him, but he wasn’t bothered yet. After realizing how much more experienced Jinhwan was in jiu jitsu, Junhoe didn’t feel as threatened by him anymore.

Instead he just felt grateful. Jinhwan didn’t have to help him. Even though they were friends, Jinhwan didn’t owe him anything. Yet here he was, a week later, still going out of his way to help Junhoe become better. What could he possibly be getting out of it? Junhoe wasn’t sure, but he appreciated it just the same.

“Okay so you’re doing a lot better with your adjustments now,” Jinhwan told him one day, “so I have an idea that might help even more. It’s something I used to do with Eric, actually.”

“Oh yeah? What’s that?” Junhoe was intrigued at the mention of Eric.

“Sparring while blindfolded.” Jinhwan answered, grinning when Junhoe’s expression went slack with shock. “Trust me, it really helps! It’ll be awkward at first, because you’re so used to doing everything based on sight. But when you take that away, you learn how to judge things based on your other senses, and believe me, you see improvements right away. Because you can’t always see everything properly, right? Like when you want to go for a reversal, you just have to trust that your opponent’s body is going to be where you want it. Doing it all blindfolded gives you the same sense.”

Junhoe had never heard of sparring while blindfolded before. “Is this really a thing?” He asked, not against the idea, just surprised at it.

“I’m serious, why do you think I’m so confident all the time when I’m fighting? Part of that is letting your body learn how to naturally sense your opponent. It’s the same as when you were doing everything out of sheer muscle memory. Now that you’re learning how to adjust properly, I think it’ll be a good way to test how you’re really doing. Because you need to trust that your body is retraining itself properly, and that you won’t just do everything the way you did it before.”

“If you’re sure,” Junhoe replied, feeling a little weird about the idea. But he trusted that Jinhwan knew what he was doing, so if Jinhwan wanted to do this, then Junhoe would go along with him.

“I’m totally sure, trust me, it’ll be good.” Jinhwan had been just as skeptical of it when Eric had proposed it the first time, but it had done wonders for his understanding of spatial awareness. Of course, it had also kind of been the catalyst for their blossoming relationship, but he didn’t need to divulge that part to Junhoe. They were different people, in different situations.

“Okay. Are we going to start today?” Junhoe asked, curious about it.

“No, we’ll do it next time. We’re almost done for tonight, anyway.”

“Alright.” Junhoe was excited to try something new, even if he was still a little wary of it. Jinhwan's help had already improved his fighting. This would undoubtedly help too.
 



It was almost nine when Junhoe got to Hanbin’s. He let himself in, kicking his shoes off at the door and proceeding down the hallway to Hanbin’s room.

“Hey, Bin!” He greeted as he entered the room, dropping down on the floor.

“How’d the date go?” Hanbin teased, moving his leg before Junhoe had a chance to lash out at him.

Training is going really well, thanks for asking,” Junhoe replied, “honestly I actually am learning a lot from him.”

“Oh yeah? Learning about anything more than just jiu jitsu?” Hanbin couldn’t help but .

“Seriously bro, shut up! It’s not like that. He’s helped me figure out a lot of things I’ve been doing wrong, it’s useful.” He decided not to mention Jinhwan’s idea of blindfolded sparring. Hanbin would definitely about it.

“Okay, fine, I’ll take your word for it.” Hanbin reached for a set of papers on his desk, handing them to Junhoe. “Here’s your history essay back, by the way. Don’t be afraid of all the red, I just want you to have the best mark possible.”

Junhoe groaned and flipped through the essay. “Can’t you just send me the digital file so I don’t have to re-type all of your corrections out?” Junhoe whined, not looking forward to fixing everything.

“Absolutely not! All you’ll do is change the colour back to black and delete wrong things. How are you going to learn how to write a better essay if you don’t correct your mistakes yourself? That would be like Jinhwan fighting your fights for you, and you just watching.” Hanbin hoped the jiu jitsu comparison would make Junhoe see the importance.

“Okay sure, but the difference is that I care about jiu jitsu. I don’t give a single about this history paper.” He grinned back at him, amused when Hanbin glared at him.

“You better fix that paper! I spent two hours on it making corrections!” Hanbin was not going to send him the digital version (wasn’t even going to tell him there was a digital version, because he certainly did not keep a folder full of revised Junhoe essays to track his best friend’s progress with his writing).

“Relax, I’ll fix it! Can’t have you wasting your time on me for nothing.” Junhoe grinned.

Hanbin shook his head and watched as Junhoe slid the paper into his bag. “So how is training with Jinhwan, really? Are you getting along or you too insulted every time he tries to correct something?”

Junhoe grinned, because Hanbin knew him perfectly. “Nah, believe it or not, it actually doesn’t bother me when he corrects me? Which I know, is really ing weird for me. I think it’s because he’s so much better than I am? Like, he’s going for his brown belt soon, and I haven’t even been a purple for six months yet. Training with him is like training with Seungri.”

“But you’re a little to Seungri half the time!” Hanbin replied, laughing when Junhoe grinned.

“True, but I’ve known Seungri longer. He’s like a real brother! I harass him mostly out of brotherly necessity.”

“Bull, I’ve seen you! Sometimes you get seriously annoyed when he corrects your form.” Hanbin grinned at the remark as he made it, and Junhoe waved him off.

“Okay, fine, whatever! I haven’t been like that with Jinhwan hyung, I don’t know. I mean, I’ve never actually fought Seungri at a tournament? So maybe that’s the difference. Jinhwan beat me twice, so I can’t deny he’s better than me.”

“Wow, I still can’t believe you’re actually able to admit that out loud without cringing! Who is this impostor, and what has he done with my best friend?” Hanbin teased.

“Oh shut up! Shouldn’t you be happy? We’re not stressing you and Bobby out anymore?” Junhoe replied.

“Oh I am happy! Happier than you know, really.” Hanbin teased. “I’m glad you guys are finally able to hang out by yourselves without adult supervision.”

“Yeah speaking of that, how are you and Bobby? Been enjoying all the potential for alone time now that I’ve been out of your hair?” Junhoe teased back. To his surprise, Hanbin actually blushed at the question.

“Yeah, it’s been good.” Hanbin did not want to talk about this with Junhoe.

“Anything exciting to report?” Junhoe asked, amused when Hanbin seemed reluctant to talk. While they’d talked about their past relationships before, they’d never really gone into great detail about what they had (or hadn’t) done with their boyfriends. It wasn’t something they talked about often.

“Nope, not really!” Not for lack of want, of course. He and Bobby had made out a few times, but it hadn’t really gone past kissing and a few stolen moments of groping. It was hard to do much else when your parents were home.

“Wow, you’re boring.” Junhoe couldn’t help but .

“You’re not exactly one to talk, okay? At least I’m dating someone, and he’s not too religious for a little fun.” While Junhoe’s ex had been a great guy, and Junhoe had been happy with the relationship, they hadn’t really done anything exciting in the four months they’d dated. They’d barely even had a proper kiss. They’d broken up when his ex’s family had gone to United States as part of their church’s mission group.

Whatever. Junhoe hadn’t really been ready for anything serious at that time anyway.

He was kind of ready for something now, probably. Maybe. If someone good enough came along. Maybe if Taewoon, his closeted classmate, finally came out… Junhoe would date him. He was still keeping tabs on him, and he was certain more than ever that Taewoon really was gay, and Junhoe was sure he was trying to fight off an interest in him. Slow but steady, and he’d probably win that race.

“I’m just holding out for someone good, alright? You found Bobby, so let me find someone too. Well, good for my standards, which are much higher than yours.” Junhoe grinned when Hanbin glared at him.

“You have someone good that’s already in your life, you know.” Hanbin replied.

“I know, but Taewoon’s still in the closet. I think he’s giving me signals though? Like I catch him staring at me all the time.” Junhoe was surprised when Hanbin shook his head.

“I’m not talking about Taewoon, you idiot!”

“Then who?” Junhoe asked, wondering who else Hanbin might be referring to.

“What do you mean, who?” Hanbin was shocked—was Junhoe really not seeing what was right in front of him? “Jinhwan!”

Hanbin’s answer almost felt like a slap across the face.

Jinhwan? You think I should date Jinhwan?” Was Hanbin serious?

Okay, time to be careful… “I didn’t say you should date him. But if you’re just waiting around for an awesome guy, who’s really attractive and has a great personality and you know, is experienced, which someone like you really needs, then I’m just saying… Jinhwan kinda sounds like your guy, right? And he’s out, so you won’t have to worry about dating some dude who wants to stay in the closet.”

Junhoe frowned. “Jinhwan, though?” Okay, so Jinhwan was attractive. But was Hanbin crazy? They were finally friends, good friends, and Hanbin wanted him to potentially ruin that by dating him? He had to be joking.

“His family likes you, Junhoe! Seiyeon thinks you’re great, for some reason, I guess she has low standards too.” Hanbin grinned at him. “I’m just saying, maybe don’t shut that door before you really look through it?”

“Respectfully, Hanbin, that door isn’t even open. Jinhwan and I are totally not a possibility. No chance. I mean, what would happen if we did try, and it didn’t work out? You wanna go back to us not being friends again?”

“So don’t it up?” Hanbin teased. Okay, time to back off a bit. If he pushed him too hard, nothing would happen just out of spite. “Look, forget I said anything. Go back to dropping crumbs for Taewoon to lead him out of the straight woods.”

Junhoe laughed at the comment. “What the are you talking about?”

“You know, like Hansel and Gretel?”

“Who?”

Hanbin looked at him in surprise. “The fairy tale! These parents didn’t want their kids anymore and took them into the woods to abandon them, but the kids laid a trail of breadcrumbs so they could find their way back home.”

Junhoe looked at Hanbin in horror. “What the kind of story is that?”

“It’s a fairy tale, I read it to Hanbyul!”

“That’s a kid’s story?” Junhoe replied, shocked.

“Yeah, it’s one of her favourites.” Okay, so maybe it sounded worse when he didn’t mention the house made out of candy…

“I feel like I should report you for child abuse.” Junhoe joked.

Hanbin rolled his eyes and swatted Junhoe's leg. “Anyway, the point is, keep trying with Taewoon, and maybe he’ll come around after another year or two. Then you can both enter your adult years as s.” Hanbin laughed when Junhoe blushed.

“Oh shut up!”

“I’m just worried about you wasting the best years of your life,” Hanbin teased again, “it’s all downhill after twenty!”

“Oh quit it! Like you’re one to talk anyway? Or has Bobby made you a man already?”

Hanbin just grinned back at him. “Not yet, but it’s only a matter of time.”

Junhoe rolled his eyes and sat back. Whatever. Hanbin could talk all the he wanted. Just because he wasn’t sure if Taewoon was gay or not, didn’t mean he should abandon all hope. Even with Jinhwan there. Besides, why was Hanbin so sure it was a viable option anyway? Just because they were both gay, it didn’t mean they were a good match. Or that they wanted each other. If Jinhwan was interested, wouldn’t he have made a move by now?

Not worth the hassle. They were getting along. That was all that Junhoe cared about. He wanted Jinhwan to keep helping him train. Something would probably get ed up if they started messing around with each other.

That sort of thing never ended well.

No point in even thinking about it.