GF: Chapter 5

Girlfriend? Wife? Mother?

Three years passed, Jungyeon and Nayeon were still in a very loving relationship. They were sticking like glue, where there was Jungyeon there was Nayeon too. They were pretty inseparable. And, they were number one couple that was being shipped to in their campus. The students thought that their interactions were very adorable and the love was very visible in between their actions.

Though Nayeon had already graduated and worked as a professional photographer and graphic designer, she always made time meet Jungyeon at the campus. Like this particular afternoon, she sat on the spectator bench, watching her girlfriend finishing her marathon practice for a sporting event. She saw her dear runner went closer and sat beside her. As the best girlfriend she was, Nayeon quickly wiped Jungyeon’s sweat away. “Tired?”

The tomboy nodded. “You came early. I saw you before we started the second round.”

“My boss granted an early leave.” Nayeon grinned. “Go shower! I’ll treat you something nice after that.”

“Alright.” Jungyeon stood up and kissed the crown of her girlfriend’s head.

After the athlete done showering, Nayeon kept her promise and they went to a restaurant. “Oh, I wanna ask for your help, Baby.” She remembered that she had a task to find a model that has girl-crush kind of charisma. She couldn’t think of someone else than her own dear handsome girl. “Only if you’re okay with it…” She added.

“I’ll do anything for you.” Jungyeon coolly said.

“So… there’s this famous clothing brand, they asked my company to be their advertising partner, they wanted a model that has girl-crush aura. And I honestly couldn’t find the perfect person other than you.” Nayeon explained. “Plus, it’s going to be fun to work with your girlfriend, isn’t it? I mean, the advantages other than being paid.”

The boyish girl pursed her lips, thinking. “But you do know I only take ugly pictures or weird faces pictures. You can count my right pose in our selca by fingers.”

“It’s okay, I’ll direct you.” The older girl reassured. “Besides, you said you’d do anything for me??”

“Anything for you, Bunny.”

“You’re the best! I’ll send your pretty pictures to my boss.”

~~~

“Tilt your head a bit to the left, Jungyeon-ssi~” Nayeon cutely asked from behind the camera. “Sharp eyes on me.” She directed again. “y.” She captured. Her boss approved Jungyeon to be the model. She was more than happy to work with her dearest half. “Okay, let’s change!” She announced when she got the right pictures.

Jungyeon walked over her girlfriend, nervous.

Seeing that the tomboy girl was uneasy, Nayeon patted her head and smiled, while proudly praised, “You’re perfect. You did very well. Am a proud girlfriend.” She pecked the cheek. “One more shoot, Baby, then we’ll go home.”

“Yeah.”

“Go change. I’ll wait here.” The older caressed the younger’s cheek and gave an assuring smile.

Both didn’t know and didn’t event dream that this photoshoot would be Jungyeon’s breakthrough in becoming a famous model. Not until they saw the girl-crush face on the biggest billboard in Seoul a week later. It was purely an accident when Nayeon was sulking in the car because Jungyeon rejected her plea of ice cream when the older girl was having a cold.

The pretty photographer was looking outside the window and her eyes caught the sight of the advertisement. She began with a loud gasp, and “BABY!” She squealed.

Jungyeon stepped on the brake by reflex. “Why why why?”

“Your face?”

“My face what?”

“There!”

The handsome girl quickly looked at where her girlfriend was pointed and found her picture on the largest scale she couldn’t even imagine. “Oh my God…” She was speechless.

“I didn’t know they would make you the main model. Did they tell you anything?”

“Err… no.”

Nayeon fished out her phone from the bag she was holding and punched a certain number. She asked her supervisor whether it was legit for Jungyeon to be the main model without particular announcement or contract from the brand. Apparently, the boss was forgot to give Nayeon the legal documents for Jungyeon to sign that stated she’d become the brand ambassador for a year. The older girl cheered in happiness after she ended the call.

“What is it, Bunny?” Jungyeon was curious.

The shorter girl pecked her girlfriend’s lips and grinned. “I’m dating a model.”

“What?! What are you talking about?”

“You are their brand ambassador for the whole year. You should come to my office next Monday to legalize everything.”

“Really?”

“Yes!”

“Oh my God.”

“Congratulations Baby!!!” Nayeon hugged her baffled girlfriend. “We should celebrate this with ice cream!” She said with a much of an aegyo.

Jungyeon quickly broke their hold. “Smooth, but still no.” She kissed her girlfriend and sped off. “And thank you, if it weren’t you to hire me, I won’t even be a model.”

“You’re welcome.”

~~~

During the year, Jungyeon was well known in the modeling industry. Ever since her first contract to the famous clothing line, she had become one of the top choices for commercials films or advertisement. Just in that year she had starred more than ten CFs and became a presenter of several famous brands in South Korea, not only clothing but also any other kinds.

And that gave Nayeon hard times.

Because, her Jungyeon had to pose with other models or acted with pretty girls and even boys. She knew that it was only in front of the camera, but she just couldn’t help but feeling jealous.

Nayeon may not didn’t mention it to Jungyeon, but as a caring girlfriend, she knew that her girlfriend did not like it. (It was actually shown when Nayeon sulked). So the younger girl made a plan to propose her girl right after the graduation. She wanted to give an assurance that she wouldn’t go anywhere, that she wanted to spend the rest of her life with Nayeon, and that other prettier girls in the world were not Nayeon’s competition because she only has her eyes to the older girls.

So that night, a week after her graduation, the girl crush brought her girlfriend to her parents’ house, to propose.

“Why are we here?” Nayeon asked. “Didn’t we have a dinner with them like yesterday?” She checked her clothes and actually felt relieved because she thought she dressed up prettily that night.

Jungyeon smiled. “Appa and Umma wanted to see you.” She lied.

“Why is that so?”

“I don’t know, they just love you I guess.” Jungyeon coolly shrugged while parking her car. “Let’s go. Umma cooked japchae.”

“Favy! Let’s go!”

As soon as they stepped inside the house, the older girl was greatly adored by her future in-laws. The couple then rushed to the dining table to have their dinner. Nayeon was still not expecting that she was going to be asked to marry Jungyeon, not until the younger girl said, “Appa and Umma, there is something I want to tell you both.”

“What is it, Jungyeonie?”

“You do know that I have graduated and can make my own money now.”

“Yes…”

“And I have dated Nayeon for 4 years…”

Nayeon stopped drinking when she heard her name. She put down her glass and looked at Jungyeon, figuring out what the younger girl was trying to say.

“… And I think I’m old enough to have my own family.”

Wait. Nayeon blinked while digesting the information. She then looked at her hand that was suddenly held by her girlfriend.

“I want to marry Nayeon, Umma-Appa…” The younger girl grinned. She then looked at the frozen girl beside her. “Would you marry me, Im Nayeon?”

The parents were gasping in delight while Nayeon was just sat there, staring blankly at her girlfriend. She was surprised and beyond happy she couldn’t even move a muscle.

Seeing that, Jungyeon panicked. “Say something…” She nudged the statue.

“Yes, Yoo Jungyeon. A hundred percent yes.” Nayeon said whilst shedding happy tears.

Since their parents were in the room, Jungyeon only kissed Nayeon’s forehead. “Thank you. I love you.” She hugged the crying girl.

~~~

Their relationship was upgraded from girlfriends to fiancées. And when they thought they relationship was doing great, an obstacle came to test them. Nayeon was summoned to her supervisor’s office that day. She was promoted to be the head of the new branch of her office but it was located in Busan. She was not really delighted when she heard the news. She was happy that her position was bumped up but she realized that she had to move from Seoul, where her other half was staying.

“What?! Busan? For how long?” Jungyeon was very surprised when she heard the news.

Nayeon sighed and could only rested her head against her girlfriend’s shoulder. “I don’t know, could be years.”

The younger girl’s thoughts were contradicting. She knew that it was a very good opportunity for her girlfriend’s career path but she hated the fact that they would live on a long distance relationship. And long distance relationship seldom works. She said to herself. “How do I live without you, Bunny?” She finally showed her fragility.

“How do I live without you?”

“When is it going to start?”

“Next month.”

Jungyeon huffed. “We should make this work. At least you’re not being moved to another country.” She tried to be positive. “I’ll move in to your apartment for the next whole month.” She held her girlfriend.

Nayeon nodded. “How do I live without you?” She asked again, only this time with a sadder tone.

~~~

The couple was really maximizing their quality time together. Jungyeon even really stayed in Nayeon’s apartment. She wanted to cherish the remaining days before distance separated them both. “What’s your schedule for tomorrow?” Nayeon asked from the kitchen, she was making ramyun for their dinner.

“Uhh…” Jungyeon checked her phone. “One photoshoot with High Cut in the morning aaaanddd…” She scrolled the calendar. “Nothing after that. Why?”

“Don’t you want to have a date outside?”

“Why? I love staying at home with you. I love seeing you do these kind of wifey stuff.”

“Wifey stuff?”

The taller girl backhugged her girlfriend and buried her nose on the said girlfriend’s hair. She nodded. “Wifey stuff like what you are doing now. Cooking for me. Cleaning up for me. Washing my clothes, those things.” The couple has been living together for two weeks now and that meant Nayeon would be leaving in two weeks time.

Nayeon slapped Jungyeon’s hand. “Yah! That’s not wifey stuff, that’s you enslaving me.” She gestured her boyish fiancé to move because her cooking was done.

“I did not. You were the one who endlessly commanded me to do things in here, even before I moved in!”

“True. Let’s not fight over this and eat.”

The two then cuddled up in front of the TV after finishing their dinner. No conversation exchanged, only some kisses planted here and there. They just the silence, though each of them was troubled with their own thoughts of the upcoming dateline of Nayeon’s moving day.

“Bunny…” Jungyeon suddenly called out, kissing her fiancee’s temple while on it.

“Hmm?”

“What if I moved with you to Busan?”

“And left your job? No. I won’t let you.”

“Why?”

“I can’t be selfish and ruin your future.” Nayeon softly answered. “Besides, Busan is not that far, you can come by every weekend or I’ll go back here.”

“Yeah…”

~~~

For the first three months of separation, the couple was doing just fine. Nayeon and Jungyeon visited each other regularly. If the older didn’t have the time, the younger girl would make time to close the gap and vice versa. Though the pretty senior was the one who sacrificed more because her fiancée was very busy with her schedules.

Nayeon could handle it at first before her jobs finally caught up with her. She was busy and Jungyeon was twice busier, so in the other next three months, their meeting frequency was reduced down to once a month. That causes a lot of fights, drama, and tears, especially from Nayeon.

The older girl had become too jealous over everyone that close with her Jungyeon. She didn’t care if it just only for the camera sake.

Meanwhile the younger girl was getting tired with false accusation her girlfriend made. She was getting tired with all the drama her Bunny crafted. She was exhausted to have to always explain what was happening and those other people was nothing but just a prop-model.

There was one time when Jungyeon finally snapped and raised her voice on Nayeon because she thought her fiancée was too much. She was just had enough with her Bunny’s attitude that day. “AH! Long distance relationships !” The boyish model screamed her frustration on a pillow.

“Bunny problem?” Her sister, Seungyeon, asked.

“Who else?”

“That’s the sign of love, Jungie~”

“Sign of love my .” Jungyeon sighed. “I don’t think I can stand this anymore.”

“You want to break up with her and wasted those wonderful four years together?”

“I’m tired Unnie. Our relationship has becoming into something unhealthy. I know that she was the jealous frequent member, but her mistrust was becoming unbearable. I’m tired that I have to explain everything that I shouldn’t even explain at the first sight. Besides, I never even protested if she works until late night with greasy Ahjussisor prettier models.”

“Think about it twice, Jungie. Don’t do something that you might regret in the future because some damaged that couldn’t be fixed.”

~~~

“We need to talk…” Nayeon said after they successfully connected via video call.

“What is it?”

그만하자 우리.” (Read: Geumanhaja Uri. Trans: Let’s stop this.)

Jungyeon bitterly smiled. “Okay… Let's stop this.”

~~~

Kyaa! More drama is coming!