Chapter 9

Poor People Don't Deserve Happy Endings.

 

Haerin was sitting in a bench hovered by a very big tree while Woohyun sat beside her. Sungjong was sitting at another bench next to them. There was an awkward silence screaming in the air around them. Haerin fiddled with her fingers while Woohyun just sat there, eyes focusing to the ground. Losing her interest on her fingers, she turned to looked at Sungjong who was savoring his meal. Haerin smiled in content.

Woohyun was dying to ask her everything, but he didn't know how to start. *Come on, man up!* he struggled with himself. Finally he took a deep breath before starting, "so…."

Haerin quickly snapped her head to turned to Woohyun's direction. Woohyun turned his face to her.

"Is he your brother?" he asked carefully. Haerin just gave a quick nod. Woohyun nodded to himself. "So… are you… sick?" 

She raised one of her eyebrow in confusion *what the….* . Sungjong was also taken back and quickly looked at his noona.

"Are you sick, noona?" he snapped.

"N-no. No! I'm perfectly fine! What the hell are you talking about?" she raised her voice in annoyance.

"N-no, it's just…" Woohyun panicked, "it's just that the last time we've met… you know… you…"

Haerin rolled her eyes. She realized he was talking about the medicine accident. "Those medicines were not for me, it was for him," she pointed to Sungjong who kept on looking at the two people in confusion.

Woohyun nodded his head. *It's good to know*

"What are you guys talking about?" Sungjong asked, agitated of not knowing anything.

"Last time I've met your sister. She was being…" Haerin eyes widened in horror. She quickly sent Woohyun a death glare. He was startled but quickly handle the situation. "She was being… being…"

"Being scolded by the ahjumma in the market for being clumsy and fell down in front of her," Haerin quickly added.

"Ahh… That's why you scrapped your knee!" Sungjong snapped his fingers.

"Y-yeah, yeah. that's correct," Haerin sighed inside, relieved that he was totally buying her bull story. Woohyun also sighed.

"Sungjong-ah… why don't you go play with other kids in the playground. I need to talk about some matter with your sister here. You can finnish your breakfast later with your sister at home, right?" Woohyun gave a fatherly smile. She was mesmerized by his smile and unknowingly smiled too. But, after realizing her action, she quickly straightened her face.

"Ok," Sungjong said gleefully before hopping off the bench, levying the packages of foods there whereas he ran to the playground, quickly joining the kids playing slides.

Haerin turned her head to Woohyun, glaring at him, "Don't you EVER say anything to him about me being caught!" she scolded.

"Alright, but you must explain to me why you stole those instead of buying," he demanded back.

Haerin huffed and muttered "sneaky brat" under her breath. "Fine," she grumbled. 

Woohyun gave a wide, winning smile. 

"Sungjong had been sick ever since he was a little boy. That morning his condition was very bad. I had no choice but to steal the medicine since I didn't have any money to buy them," she explained while looking at the ground, ashamed of her action.

Woohyun softened. Even her side view shows sadness and pain. "Why don't you ask your parents for it?"

She scoffed, "Like they would even care…" she mumbled but was loud enough for Woohyun to hear and made him surprised. She took a quick glance at him. Seeing his confused expression, she quickly explained before he asked anything else, "we were thrown away by our parents, ok? We lived on our own ever since we were just little kids," she explained in a sad voice.

Clearly, he could see that she didn't want to utter the words she just said. He knew, saying those words, for her will be just like slicing a wound. *But, me, being the ignorant selfish fool just had to made her do it. Idiot* he scolded himself. 

"There," Woohyun snapped out of his daze, "I've told you everything, anything else?" she leaned back and yawned, trying her best to be as ignorant as possible to prevent her tears from falling.

"Um… We have no hard feelings, right?" he asked.

Haerin looked at him as if he was mad. "Are you kidding me? Why should we have hard feelings?" she rolled her eyes.

*True. What a stupid question Woohyun…* he huffed, annoyed of his own awkwardness. "So… Can we be like… friends?" he asked ever so gently, afraid that she would snapped at him.

"Are you pitying me?" she asked lazily. She have met a lot of people who just made friends with her based on pity. She was tired of them, because eventually they would be gone and leave her alone. 

"No!" he answered, almost too quickly, "no, absolutely not. I just…" he sighed roughly, "is it so wrong to make friends with you?" he half whined. 

She was amused by his reaction, but she smiled softly. *This boy is being sincere. That's rare*. "No, not at all," she answered. 

"So are we friends?" he asked again. 

"Sure," she said, trying to act as cool as possible even though inside, butterflies were having a conference inside her stomach.

He smiled contently before giving out his hand, "brand new start, friend. I'm Woohyun" he smiled to her.

She took his hands, contemplating at first, before shaking his hands gently, "friend, I'm Haerin".