Chapter 8

Poor People Don't Deserve Happy Endings.

 

It had been 3 weeks since the accident. Sungjong's condition was better and Haerin was back to being the strong girl.

*No more crying in front of Sungjong* she promised herself.

That morning Sungjong was exceptionally healthy and cheerful. He had been pleading his sister to took him out with her to find breakfast.

"Please, noona! I beg you! I feel so healthy today and that's rare!" He pleaded with his puppy eyes and kept on clinging to her arm.

"No, Sungjong! You're not going outside this house! What if you got sick all of a sudden because you're too tired?" She argued back while trying to brushed his hand away.

"No, noona! It won't happen, I promised," he ensured her. 

*This boy won't ever stop, would he?* She sighed deeply and looked at him intently. "Alright…" she breath out.

*Yes! I knew she would fall for my charm!* Sungjong beamed. His eyes sparkled in excitement.

"But!" Haerin said sternly, "promise me if you ever grew tired, even the slightest bit, you will tell me and we both will head back home, understood?" she said every words as clearly as possible.

Sungjong nodded his head as quickly as possible and just gazed at her like a puppy. 

Haerin playfully poked his forehead, "stop looking at me as if I'm your master and you're my dog," she said and ended with a chuckle.

Sungjong nodded his head again before hugging her tightly, "woah, noona! you have no idea how much this meant to me. Thank you, noona! Saranghae!" his voice pitched in excitement. 

Haerin just hugged him back. *I'm glad you're happy and healthy. That means all my hard works is not a vain*

"Go get your warmest clothing," Haerin said as she pulled away. Sungjong quickly scurried to the drawer and get his sweater and wore it before they both head out of the house. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Woah~ the weather outside is so much different! It's so much refreshing!" Sungjong exclaimed as he inhaled the air deeply while closing his eyes. Haerin just smiled at his innocent action.

Haerin was busy looking around for any food when Sungjong suddenly surprised her, "noona, look! Free breakfast handouts!" he said in so much excitement while pointing at a van.

She looked at the direction he was pointing and her heart palpitated faster than it should. It was, as expected, Woohyun's family van.

"Let's go, noona!" Sungjong said excitedly while trying to drag his sister. 

"Sungjong, no…." she tried to stop him, but it was useless, he already ran there. 

*Haish, this kid* she sigh in annoyance while and bit her lower lips, contemplating whether or not to follow him. She squinted her eyes after noticing something.

*The boy that's handing the food, it's not Woohyun* she thought while trying to make sure that her eyes was not trying to fool her. 

The boy was completely different. His eyes was definitely smaller and his smile was more of a foolish smile rather than the cute, bright smile Woohyun had.

*Well, it won't do any harm now* she smiled, relieved, and soon ran to Sungjong who was queuing.

"Eh? I though you won't follow me, noona" he said while raising one of his brows. 

Instead of answering, she just gave him a smile.

When it was their turn, Sunggyu handed them the foods. "Here you go, enjoy!" Sunggyu said while giving them his foolish yet charming smile. They both gave a slight bow before walking out of the line. 

suddenly, someone grabbed Haerin's elbow, stopping her track. She looked to the side in alert and she gasped, completely surprised. Woohyun was standing there, his eyes were serious instead of the usual calm and warm.

"We need to talk," he said in a low voice, almost growling.

She bit her lower lip as she realized there's no way to escape now.

"Sungjong!" she shouted, stopping Sungjong who was already quite far from her.

Sungjong looked back, confused. *eh? why is my noona left behind? and who's that guy?* His forehead crumpled in confusion and he walked back to them. 

"Noona, who's this…."

"I'll explain later," Haerin quickly cut him off and shrugged her elbow away from Woohyun's grip. "Hold this," she said to Sungjong as she handed him her foods. Sungjong stack it on top of his.

Haerin looked Woohyun in the eye, giving him a sign that she agreed.

"Follow me," Woohyun said and led the siblings to a park nearby.