Chapter 1

Poor People Don't Deserve Happy Endings.

 

She was panting as her lungs burned. She kept on running even though her legs went numb and stiffened. *almost there* she kept on chanting inside her head and she ran as fast as her thin legs could to the fence ahead of her.

"YOU! STOP!" 3 men shouted at her while trying their best to keep up with her miraculous speed. They,too, were panting, harder than she did. 

She didn't look back, but she smirked. *You guys chase the wrong girl*. As she reached the fence, she quickly climbed up and swiftly jump over it. 

"Yah! Come back here!" The men shouted as they banged on the fence, shouting and screaming all types of curse words. 

She jogged away from the fence with a big, satisfied and relieved face. *this is too easy* she smirked as she clutched the plastic bag in her hand and ran home.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

She turned into a dark, small alley and marched quickly to the small door at the end of the alley, knowing someone was waiting for her back home. 

She stopped in front of a small and rusted metal door. She took out her key from the pocket of her torn and faded jeans and opened the door. 

"I'm home," she announced as she entered the house. 

"Noona…" a very sick voice welcomed her. 

She quickly took a glass of water and went to her little brother who was lying on a thin mattress on the floor, covered with a piece of thin blanket. 

She propped the poor little boy up and handed him the water. She quickly opened the plastic and took out a small piece of bread.

"Eat this first before you drink the medicine," she said softly.

The little boy, Sungjong, quickly took the bread and greedily gobbled it down his dry throat. She smiled as she saw how happy he is just by a small piece of bread. Why wouldn't he? This had been his first and only meal for the day.

After he was done, she gave him the small pill and he quickly gulp it down. After finishing the glass of water, she helped lay him back down and brushed his hair. 

"Noona, where did you get those bread and medicine? You didn't stole it, did you?" Sungjong croaked. 

She gave an uneasy smile and kissed his warm forehead. "Sleep," she said simply and stood up. 

His brother knew the answer. He sighed. "Noona…" he whined.

"Sungjong, I said sleep," she said firmly as she sat down on the floor beside him, her back resting on the wall.

He softened as he saw how tired his sister looked. Her forehead was sweating and her thin legs were shaking out of tiredness. Her sister's sullen face looked pale and purely tired. He didn't want his sister to suffer for him, but she's the father and mother in this house which only consisted of the two of them. He was crying inside and he knew his sister's also crying inside. His hand crept out of the blanket and took her hand, squeezing it in comfort. She looked at him, bewildered, but quickly squeezed back his hand. 

"Noona, be careful. Take care of yourself," he said softly. 

She smiled and nodded her head before kissing his forehead. "I will. You don't need to worry about me. Now, rest," she said and tucked him inside his blanket. He smiled and gave a smile nod before closing his eyes.

She sat there, examining his peaceful, yet pale face. A tear fell down from the corner of her left eye. She quickly wiped it and forced a smile.

*No matter how tired or hungry I am, you will never be. You're my priority. You'll live nicely, even if it meant suffering for me.*