Chapter 2

Poor People Don't Deserve Happy Endings.

 

The next morning she woke up because of the cold weather and she was sleeping on the floor.

"Oh my God, when did it got so cold," she mumbled as she rubbed her arms, attempting to at least gave it a little bit of warmth. She saw Sungjong, still sleeping peacefully despite the cold weather and she immediately felt relieved. She fixed his blanket before heading out, trying to find at least a little bit of food to feed her dear brother. 

It was cold outside, very. She shivered. *damn, I need a new jacket… Who am I kidding? I can't even afford Sungjong's medicine.* she chuckled bitterly and hugged her worn out jacket closer. 

She strolled down the street, watching people starting their activities. She stopped by the window of a fast food restaurant as she saw how a mother inside bought a full set breakfast and gave it to her daughter with a warm, motherly smile. Her eyes glistened at the sight. She quickly shook her head and walked away. *No, not now. I don't need tears, I need food for Sungjong* She pursed her lips and continue strolling.

A group of homeless people was crowding a van, which could only meant one thing, there's free handouts. She quickly ran and joined the crown. 

"Here you go, enjoy your breakfast," Woohyun said cheerfully as he handed the old man a small plastic box of breakfast and a cup of tea. 

She smiled involuntary. *Sungjong, you're getting full set breakfast today* she moved along with the lines until it was her turn. She stood in front of Woohyun and wait.

"Hold on, let me get another box" Woohyun said as he went inside his van for a moment. He went back out with a big plastic bags containing the small boxes and took one out before handing it to her. 

"Here you go, enjoy!" he said and smiled widely. 

Her heart beats a little too fast after she saw his smile. This was the first time ever someone as gorgeous as him gave her a very warm smile. *he's….gorgeous* she admired. 

"Hello, miss…." the hobo behind her tapped her shoulder, irritated as she was stopping the line. She snapped out of her daze and went out of the line. She walked quite far away from the crowd before giving a last glance at Woohyun who was still putting a very bright smile for everyone. A small smile crept on her face before she went away.

Little did she know, Woohyun was also stunned by her. Despite her sullen and slightly stressed face, there was something fascinating about her. Something that made his hearts fluttered without any explanation. He knew she was looking at him from the distance, that's why he acted like he didn't. When she finally walked away, he watched her and smiled warmly at her disappearing figure before resuming his work.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Sungjong-ah! Breakfast," she said brightly as she quickly sat beside her brother, setting his breakfast. 

Sungjong propped himself up and his eyes bulged as he saw the amount of food in front of him. There's eggs, toast, basically everything that was out of his expectation.

"Noona! Where did you stole all of these?!" He asked in disbelief. 

She chuckled and flicked his forehead playfully. "I didn't steal these, ok? I got it from the free handouts down the block. Now hurry eat!" 

Sungjong beamed and quickly nodded his head before taking a bite out of his toast. "This is so good, noon. You should eat it too!" Sungjong put the toast on as she took a small bite out of it. It is good, considering she hadn't had any food in her stomach since yesterday.

"I hope they will do this everyday," Sungjong mumbled dreamily.

*me too, so that I can see that boy everyday* she smiled as she watched her brother happily gobbled down the scrambled eggs.