Chapter 17

Poor People Don't Deserve Happy Endings.

 

One cold night, Haerin was walking back to home alone as Woohyun had some urgent things to take care of. It's not a big deal for her, she used to do this all the time back then when both her and Sungjong were still left to fend themselves. She rubbed both of her palms together, trying to gained some heat. 

As she turned to a small alley, she was a group of mean looking guys gathering inside the alley, speaking rather loudly among themselves. Haerin, sensing danger and not wanting to get into any trouble, quickly turned back. But, suddenly her wrist was held back and she found herself being dragged into the alley. *I may be good at escaping, but I don't have a lot of strength* she sighed, hopeless. Finally, she was cornered and guys quickly surrounded her. She looked up but she couldn't saw any of their faces, it was too dark. She trembled inside, but she tried to appear cool.

"Why are you running away from us, huh? scared?" one of them teased, soon followed by snickering of others. 

"Well, if you're scared, you shouldn't be wandering alone in this neighborhood, shouldn't you?" the other guy said as he held up his hand, wanting to touch her hair. She quickly slapped the guy hand away. 

"Woah, feisty, eh? Totally our style," the guy growled, full of lust. 

Haerin was scared, she truly is. *God, I still have Sungjong. I need to at least survive for him. God, help me* she prayed silently. She observed her surroundings, searching for any way for her to escape. She realized that there was a gap between one guy to another. If she can move fast enough, she'll be able to escape. 

*Here we go. Now or never* she deeply inhaled before slipping through the gap. Thanks to her small figure, she managed to go through. 

"Hey! Catch her!" the men hollered and soon began chasing after her. Haerin, with much experience of stealing and getting away, had no problem whatsoever in speed, whereas the men was having a hard time keeping up with her stamina. 

She searched for any place to hide and suddenly spotted a garbage truck not far from where she is. She looked back and found the men was still far away from her. In that distance, they couldn't possibly saw her direction. She quickly ran behind the truck and slammed her back onto it, breathing harshly. Fishing her phone out of her pocket, she quickly punched the number 2, Woohyun's speed dial, and quickly put the phone close to her ear, lips trembling in fear.

"Pick up, pick up, please hurry," she incoherently mumbled. "The number you're calling is unavailable-" "!" she cursed under her breathe and tried one more time. After getting the same response, she decided just to leave a massage. 

"Oppa, you've got to help me. I'm in my house neighborhood, behind a garbage truck. There's only one truck. Please, please come here," she ended the call and quickly put her phone back inside her pocket before inhaling deeply. 

"Behind the truck!" she heard a male's voice shouting. "," she cursed silently before running away again. She looked back and found men chasing after her. *I'm officially screwed* 

She turned into another alley and soon regretted her stupid decision as she saw another group of men inside. *Oh man, this is getting worse* she stooped her track. The group of men in front was approaching her, whereas the group behind her had found her and was now approaching her, too.

She was right in the middle, cold sweats ran down her temples.

"No way out, huh, little ?" The man behind her snickered. She stepped back cautiously. 

Suddenly, a strong arm circled her shoulder. She reflexively looked up and saw a rather familiar face. *Where did I met him? hmm…* her eyes suddenly widened in realization.

*the short gangster!*