her (Wendy)

Mixed Paint
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Are you sure she doesn’t know you like her?” Joy asks, almost shouts and Wendy has to move her phone away from her ear.

 

“Well, it does seem so.” She’s shaking her head. She’s confused, too.

 

“Okay. You practically stutter and shake when you see her. I’m pretty sure she could hear your heartbeat thump whenever she smiles at you. And you just sang her a confession song! Now you tell me that she doesn’t know? How dense can she be?”

 

She always thought Joy has a future in drama. She’s exaggerating again… but she does have a point.

 

“I think she’s a little hung up on her past relationship. I wonder what happened…”

 

“Why don't you just ask her? And while you’re having a heart to heart talk, confess again!”

 

“Why are you in such a hurry? Also, does this mean you actually want her to be my girlfriend? Awww, you like her for me. I’m touched.”

 

“Please, I just can't see you suffer. Anyway, introduce her to me when you become girlfriends.”

 

“Thank you for the support, Joy!”

 

---

 

If Wendy could fly, she would. She rushed up the stairs, excited to see Irene as soon as possible. She noticed how Irene’s a lot quieter recently and more aloof. When she’s alone, she looks far, like she’s always deep in thought.

 

She walks to class and easily spots the familiar girl in her usual seat at the back. To her surprise, Irene glances up and smiles at her the moment she walks in (almost as if she was waiting for her). Wendy shrugs at the assumption.

 

“I got you something!” Wendy put down the small box with a note on Irene’s desk and she breaks into a grin. Irene thanks her about three times before she goes back to her seat, glancing to see Irene keep her post-it in her purple planner and smile at the red velvet cheesecake in front of her.

 

Whatever you’re going through, I hope you feel better soon! Also, I miss your smile!

 

---

 

She sees her at lunch with her pretty-eyed friend. She sees Irene share the red velvet cheesecake with her.

 

Wendy is struck by jealousy. She leaves.

 

---

 

“My smile’s back.” Irene says as a greeting. Wendy sits beside her before class starts. “Thank you. I didn’t really realize it until you told me.”

 

“It was nothing. You just seemed to be going through something the past week.” Wendy says, trying to keep her smile bright.

 

“Yeah, kind of…” Irene says in her calm voice. They stay silent for a few seconds. But Irene has a small smile on her lips.

 

“Anyway, you’re blooming now. Must be in love.” Wendy says it as a joke. But it backfires when Irene answered, “Not yet. But I do like someone. I only realized it last week.”

 

Wendy pretends to be happy for her. She should have bought herself her own comfort food as well.

 

---

 

The flyer to Saturday’s event falls to the floor on their way out the classroom and Irene is quick to pick it up.

 

“You’re performing?! Can I go?” Irene looks at her with eyes so wide with excitement, Wendy just blushes.

 

“Y-yeah, okay.” She stammers. But Irene’s mood quickly changes with her answer. “Oh. Unless you don’t want me to. Sorry.”

 

“N-no! I do! I mean you can go if you want. I would appreciate it if you do. I’m just a bit… anxious…” because of you but she doesn’t say it. It’s just because of Irene. Really, there’s no other reason.

 

“I’m sure you’ll do well. I’ve seen you perform before and we were all mesmerized. Anyway, I’ll cheer for

Please log in to read the full chapter