still (Wendy)

Mixed Paint
Please log in to read the full chapter

At a young age of three, Wendy knew she wanted to be a singer. She was born to a family of musicians. Aside from being wonderful singers, each member of Wendy’s family can play various instruments, all of which are available in their music room. Wendy sleeps to her mother’s lullabies and wakes up to her dad’s favorite songs on the radio. Throughout the day, she would hear her parents and sister sing as they wash the dishes, hang laundry, or set the table.

 

Music is instinctive for Wendy. And she was determined to be a successful musician one day.

 

---

 

Adorable Wendy with her pouty lips and crinkled nose always makes her family smile with her various expressions. Dramatic. Her parents would . She would frown and pout her lips more and then she’ll resume to acting.

 

Almost every week – whenever Wendy pleases really – she would sing before going to bed. And of course, dramatic Wendy’s bedtime production included her family members.

 

Little Wendy would sit at the bottom of the stairs, moving up a step as she sings.

 

“The sun has gone to bed and so must I…”

 

After laying her head on top of the staircase, Wendy’s older sister would pick her up and carry her to her bed, while her parents sing their good night.

 

---

 

Joy once asked her, “You have a wonderful voice and it fits love songs effortlessly. But now, you tell me you don’t even know what it feels like to be in love?”

 

Wendy used to shrug it off before. Because she has a loving family and wonderful friends and there is no need for a partner. Not unless they’re better than the characters in her musicals.

 

“Admit it, Wendy. The Phantom’s a stalker and you wouldn’t want that…”

 

“I never even considered the phantom as my ideal type, Joy.”

 

“...And you shouldn’t be like Donna even if Sophie’s amazing because then you’d have to say goodbye to your career. You’re just starting!”

 

Wendy laughs then. Trademark Joy being extra and overdramatic. Maybe this is why they’re friends.

 

“Really? That extreme?”

 

At this point, Joy seems to have ran out of guys to match her with. Joy made it a hobby to introduce Wendy to everyone. Wendy exchanged a few texts with some, and she went on dates with lucky ones. But, they just didn't progress to more than mere crushes.

 

“Why don’t you date Eric? He seems to like you.”

 

“What?! No! He’s like my brother!”

 

“Hmm…” Joy hummed with a serious expression but then formed into a smirk before singing a few lines from the song she co-wrote with Eric.

 

“At first, you were like

a close friend or a younger sister

I wasn’t shocked

even when you wore skirts or makeup

But what has made us

change like this now?”

 

She shook her head furiously while Joy just laughed with a raised eyebrow.

 

“Joo~oy. Please stop.”

 

“Fine, fine. I’ll rule him out. The really tall guy you went on a date with looks cute and kind, too. I feel bad you didn’t end up with each other.”

 

Wendy smiles. It’s true. He’s pleasant to talk to and he’s good company too.

 

“You should know we still talk if that makes you feel better.”

 

“Really?! What’s your status? What do you talk about? Are you going to date again?!”

 

Wendy laughs so hard at Joy’s hopeful expression.

 

“We’re good friends now. He’s always been in love with someone else. And now, they’re boyfriends.”

 

Joy scowls at Wendy for keeping her hopes up. Wendy just smiles. Her friend’s expression soon turned soft and with concern she rarely shows.

 

“Oh well… I hope you do find someone because love is amazing and you should experience it.”

 

“You still think so? Even if you and Sungjae broke up?”
 

“Well, yeah. It hurts for a while. But then I realized maybe we’re just better off without each other.”

 

---

Wendy tries to ignore the gnawing feeling in her heart caused by her rift with Irene. Keyword tries. She hasn’t told anyone yet, not even her sister. But maybe sisters do know best because Yuri just decided to spend the weekend watching musicals with Wendy. They’re halfway through Mary Poppins, when Wendy speaks up.

 

“Unnie, how did you feel when Yoona surprised you with the outdoor movie?”

 

Yuri’s lips immediately turn into a dreamy style. At this point Wendy thought she doesn’t need to hear Yuri’s answer to know.

 

“It was wonderful. I mean I almost had a fight

Please log in to read the full chapter