unforeseen honesty

Sixth Sense
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook regretted having opened up the letter. He shouldn't have done it. Not when he was working, not when any clients could walk in, or worst his manager. He knew he was taking a risk, but curiosity had permeated his whole soul and mind. He didn't want to open it at school, where Taehyung or Hoseok could come in at any time and snatch it from his hands. He didn't want to read it in the bus, surrounded by numerous strangers and mostly he didn't want to read it at home, around his father. 

 

Jungkook, being a new employee wasn't allowed to close the shop on his own and with that being so, he knew his manager was in the back store doing whatever thing a manager is assigned to. But in the front, Jungkook was responsible of handling everything, having lots of experience, his manager trusted him enough to leave him on his own. After all, there's rarely someone at night. The manager had inquired him during the enterview if he'd be able to deal with it or he would rather have another employee with him and Jungkook had replied that there wasn't need for such a necessity.

 

Now, he regretted. 

 

He was the only employee left and he didn't want to mess things up on his first day. He didn't want to go and tell his manager that he needed a break, that he wasn't feeling well, that he couldn't handle it. That his state of mind was a total mess and his heart a chaos of emotions. 

 

So Jungkook pretended that he was fine, that his mother's letter, the one that was rotting somewhere in the garage for years didn't affect him, didn't matter to him. At all. That the things he was the most curious about — his mother and his ability, were just a letter away from him. 

 

He breathed profoundly and closed his eyes, his fists clenched on both sides of his figure.

 

As he opened back his eyes, from the corner, he could see Lisa's tall body approaching, her steps steady and her hands reaching out for something in her school bag. 

 

“Hi” Jungkook managed to voice lowly. “What would you like?” 

 

He wasn't looking at Lisa's face, but rather at something, anything behind her. He didn't want to see her eyes, her thoughts.  He already had too much on his own damn mind.

 

 “Anything” 

 

Jungkook hadn't heard that kind of answer ever before, surprised, his eyes automatically shifted on Lisa's. Perhaps, he'd see what she really and truly wants. 

 

For the second time in his life, Jungkook's mind went blank and it was once again because of Lisa. This time, however, it wasn't her beauty or her first impression of him that left Jungkook in shock. But rather the state of her eyes. Puffy, swollen and red. He was so fixated on these external factors that it took him at least fifteen seconds to proceed her thoughts.

 

“Anything. Please, just give something”

Her thoughts were rapid and pleading. 

 

Jungkook knows that as an employee, his main role is, aside from offering a good customer service, is to increase the shop's profits and with this as an objective, he should give her the most expensive thing. After all, isn't she asking for anything? 

 

But Jungkook grabbed the first donut that came into his hands and then prepared a French Vanilla, which is among the cheapest drinks yet one the most appealing to the taste buds. 

 

As he prepared the command, Lisa sat on a chair opposing the counter. 

 

The coffee shop isn't the smallest or the biggest of the town, but it has enough tables to fill in around thirteen people at the same time. With it being empty at that time, Jungkook didn't understand why Lisa, out of everywhere decided to sit on chair which faced the main counter. He felt like a bartender and he didn't quit enjoy the role. Seeing as Lisa's swollen eyes symbolized cries and pain, he hoped she wouldn't throw her problems at him. He already his to deal with. He heard it often happens in bars and such places and that alcohol does help a little.

 

“Here you go” He said handing her the donut and the French Vanilla. “Would you like anything else?”

 

He wasn't looking at her again, but kept his eyes on the cash register the whole time.

 

“No” Lisa responsed as she handed him the money. “Thanks”

 

Her voice was low and soft unlike the first time Jungkook heard it, it wasn't sweet nor cute. 

 

He wished she'd sit somewhere else, somewhere far form him, out of his line of vision, because her being close just made him want to look at her and he didn't want to. He didn't want to invade her privacy. 

 

His mother's words were still fresh in his mind and despite having done his job correctly, Jungkook still felt numb and overwhelmed. 

 

Lisa stayed there, ate in silence, never uttering a single word and Jungkook was grateful for that. He knew if Bambam was there, he would've jumped on the occasion to talk with her and even ask for her number. 

 

But Jungkook, despite being curious about her, didn't do anything. He wasn't courageous enough. 

 

“There's this party at Seungyoon's place Sunday” Lisa suddenly started. “You should come”

 

Jungkook was too busy, too absorbed in his own thoughts, that it took his brain some time to sink in that Lisa was actually addressing to him. That s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter