Ch 9

Descendants of The Sun - Book 2
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Thank you for the comments and subscribes :)

Bold fonts = conversation in English

Italic fonts = conversation in communicator and mentally

Bold and Italic fonts = conversation in German

Disclaimer:

Dr. Margaret Chan is the real head of WHO. Using her name in this story is purely fictional purpose, no intention to disrespect her in any forms.

9

 

WHO sent someone to both Si Jin and Mo Yeon to their office. Mo Yeon sat on the back while Si Jin next to the driver on the front seats. The doctor enjoyed the scenery outside the window, a bit nervous for she would meet the head of WHO. Mo Yeon browsed the internet about Dr. Margaret Chan, the Director of WHO. She was a brilliant doctor and after reading her achievements, it was an honor for Mo Yeon to meet her. Si Jin glanced at his wife through the rear-view mirror and smiled slightly watching her looking outside the window.

She was extremely pretty today.

When they arrived, Mo Yeon blinked and gaped when she saw the building. It was exactly like the pictures she had seen on the internet.

The driver smiled and said to both Mo Yeon and Si Jin, “Welcome to WHO headquarters.”

“Wow...” Mo Yeon breathed.

They both got out from the car and the driver escorted them to the main lobby. James, the UN doctor, already waited for Mo Yeon.

“Dr. Kang,” he greeted.

Mo Yeon smiled and James looked at Si Jin, recognizing him as the soldier who gave Mo Yeon company the last time they met in Urk.

James grinned. “So, is this the soldier husband?”

The female doctor blushed while Si Jin smiled and shook James’ hand. “It’s very nice to meet you again, Doctor,” the Major said.

“I told Dr. Kang I wish I could say my congratulations to you for your wedding and I’m glad this could happen. Congratulations to both of you,” James said again.

“Thank you,” Mo Yeon replied.

“So, please, follow me. I’ll give you a tour before meeting the Director,” the UN doctor gestured to Si Jin and Mo Yeon to follow him.

James showed the WHO office to his guests, the main lobby, cubicles, cafeteria, meeting rooms, documents rooms, research rooms, and public halls. Mo Yeon looked at her surroundings with awe. Never she imagined she could step into WHO office since she became a doctor. They finally stopped at a huge door and Mo Yeon turned nervous when she realized this was the office of the Director. James knocked the door and got inside, leaving Mo Yeon and Si Jin, to get permission for Mo Yeon to meet Dr. Chan.

“Are you nervous?” Si Jin asked his wife.

Mo Yeon blew a breath. “It’s a lie if I say I don’t.”

Si Jin only smiled, remembering he also said the same thing to Dae-young on his wedding day.

And then, James appeared on the door and said to Mo Yeon, “The Director is ready to meet you.”

Mo Yeon took a deep breath and glanced at Si Jin, the latter smiled encouragingly at her and the doctor smiled back before getting in into the office. It was different from Director Han’s office in Haesung, Dr. Chan’s was bigger, a WHO flag in the middle of the room, a desk with computer, cupboards full with folders, a TV, and a huge table with a lot of chairs.

Dr. Margaret Chan, the head of WHO, smiled at Mo Yeon and rose from her chair with friendly and warm smile.

“Dr. Kang Mo Yeon, it’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m Dr. Margaret Chan, the Director of WHO,” she said with extended hand to shake Mo Yeon’s.

Mo Yeon smiled back and shook Dr. Chan’s hand. “The pleasure is mine, Dr. Chan. Thank you for your invitation. This is my first time to come to Switzerland.”

“Please, have a seat,” the Director gestured Mo Yeon to a chair next to her.

“Thank you.”

“So, what do you think about this country? I hope you have a great time.”

Mo Yeon smiled. “Yes, I do. Thank you for your kindness, Dr. Chan.”

Dr. Chan nodded. “Don’t mention it.” And then, she smiled. “I heard a lot about you from James and also what you did in Urk with the M3 virus. It’s an honor to meet a doctor who can recognizes the virus.”

“The honor is mine, Dr. Chan. I only did what I could as a doctor,” Mo Yeon answered.

“You must have known this virus is very complicated. Several cases needed to be treated with different medications and yours was one of them. Thanks to you, Dr. Kang, we can observe Urk as the former epidemic country for the virus.” Dr. Chan sighed. “Actually, I invited you here to give you an offer.”

Mo Yeon blinked. “Offer?”

“I’d like you to join the UN under WHO’s name as one of our doctors.”

Mo Yeon froze.

“I’m sure you know about Daniel. He’s one of our doctors from your country. Your jobs are more or less like him if you join us. But, of course, you don’t need to answer it now. Even if you decline the offer to join us here, I still want you to join our regional office in your country. Of course, in some occasions, I’d like to ask for your assistance in some countries if needed.”

Mo Yeon laughed nervously. “This is indeed a big news for me. I’m not sure I’m the person you’re looking for, Dr. Chan.”

“On the contrary, you are the perfect person, Dr. Kang. I heard from James how you did a surgery under political threats in Urk. You have a brave heart and took your oath highly. WHO needs doctors like you,” the Director said again. “It’s exceptional to see a doctor with dedication just like you these days. Most of them are only for status and pride. You are one of a kind, Dr. Kang.”

Mo Yeon only went silent.

Dr. Chan smiled in understanding. “I know you must be thinking about your family and your husband. If joining us in Switzerland is too much for you, the regional office in Korea will be available for you.”

Mo Yeon smiled back. “Thank you for trusting me, but can I think about your offer, Dr. Chan?”

“Take as much time as you need, Dr. Kang. When you’ve decided, let James know and I’ll prepare your new office in WHO,” Dr. Chan said while smiling.

Mo Yeon smiled back and they continued their meeting, talking about random things and Dr. Chan was looking forward for Mo Yeon’s reports on the meeting.

After the meeting, James, Mo Yeon, and Si Jin had their lunch at the cafeteria before finally the two of them needed to go back to the hotel. Mo Yeon thanked James for his company and she left the WHO headquarters with Si Jin.

During their journey back to the hotel, Mo Yeon was thinking about the offer. She saw how Daniel worked under the title of Peacekeeper Doctor, being assigned to dangerous countries, helping patients in danger zones, doing surgeries in critical conditions with limited facilities. She once told Si Jin her job was no different than him and apparently, she was right. She also needed to talk to him about the offer.

Si Jin, in the other hand, watched Mo Yeon ever since she left the Director’s room. She looked deep in thought and Si Jin wished they could talk about it personally. As luck would have it, when they were near the hotel, his communicator buzzed.

“Wolf to Big Boss.” Dae-young’s voice called him.

“What is it?” Si Jin asked.

“The American Captain wants to see you, sir.”

Si Jin blinked and glanced at Mo Yeon from the rear-view mirror. Their eyes met. “Tell him I’ll arrive at the hotel soon.”

“Yes, sir.”

When they arrived at the hotel, Mo Yeon and Si Jin got out from the car, thanked the driver, and walked into the main lobby. Si Jin glanced around and then, held Mo Yeon’s arm, bringing her to a corner with no surveillance camera. He turned off his communicator before staring at Mo Yeon.

“I have to meet the American Captain. It seems he has news about North Urk,” Si Jin said to his wife in low voice.

Mo Yeon nodded. “I also want to talk to Dr. Song about something. Can we talk later?”

Si Jin nodded in return. “I’ll come to your room. Get some rest.”

“Ok.”

The Major smiled and caressed Mo Yeon’s cheek before walked away to one of the meeting halls set up by the UN security as their base. Jordan was waiting for him at the door.

“I heard you want to see me,” Si Jin said to the US Captain.

Jordan nodded and tilted his head, giving a signal for Si Jin to follow him, passing several tables and computers along with several Special Forces members. Both men walked into the room and stood on the corner.

“CIA gave us news. Colonel Amang is not in North Urk anymore,” Jordan said.

“What?”

“It looks like he left the country.”

Si Jin furrowed his eyebrows. “Where is he now?”

“CIA agents think he’s already here, in Switzerland, for the meeting.”

“The meeting attendees are being personally invited by the WHO. How can they...” Si Jin took a deep breath. “Those hackers.”

Jordan nodded. “They manipulated their identities.”

The Major blew

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter