Ch 4

Descendants of The Sun - Book 2
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Thank you for the comments, votes, and subscribes.

Bold fonts = conversation in English.

Italic fonts = conversation on phone.

4

 

Si Jin went home early after receiving the order from the Colonel. He was contemplated how to tell his wife about his dispatchment. He knew this was different from his last three months mission which was causing the news of his death, Dr. Kang didn’t need to be worry. But, still, leaving someone you deeply cared and loved was never easy, even for a soldier. When Si Jin arrived, it was quiet, but he knew Dr. Kang was home for her shoes were behind the door. He looked up in their room and saw his wife was sleeping with the blanket on. The one thing that caught his eyes was not the sleeping figure of his wife, but two bottles of medicines on the bedside table.

He quickly approached the table and saw those were antibiotic and a medicine for headache. Si Jin put his hand over Mo Yeon’s forehead, her temperature was normal. So, what was the headache medicine for?

Si Jin sat on the bed and looked at his wife closely. She looked very tired and his heart clenched. How was he suppose to leave his wife like this when she needed him the most?

Taking a deep breath, Si Jin tried to wake Mo Yeon. “Dr. Kang...”

After several attempts, Mo Yeon stirred and opened her eyes. She smiled when she saw her husband. “Hey, you’re home.”

Si Jin frowned. “Are you sick? Why didn’t you tell me?”

“It’s only a headache. I’m fine,” Mo Yeon tried to sit on the bed with Si Jin’s help.

“Are you sure?” he asked again.

Mo Yeon nodded, the effect of the medicine still getting on her. “Why are you home early?”

Si Jin took a deep breath and looked at Mo Yeon. “I need to tell you something, but first you need to eat.”

Mo Yeon frowned. “I don’t really want to.”

“But, you need to eat. Please...for me.”

The doctor was rarely seeing Si Jin with his pleading face. She thought it was a joke, but when she saw his eyes, it was sincere and he was worried about her. She tried to smile. “Ok.”

Si Jin smiled back. “Ok. I’m calling for food delivery. What do you want to eat?”

“Anything is fine,” Mo Yeon answered while closing her eyes, her headache started again.

The Major looked at his wife with worry. As long as he knew Mo Yeon, she had never been sick. She even immuned to the M3 virus. Why a simple headache could turn her so weak?

Without taking his eyes off of his wife, Si Jin ordered a take out and changed his uniform to a more comfortable clothes after having a shower. Mo Yeon was still on the bed with her eyes closed, unmoving. When his order arrived, Si Jin took it to their bedroom and shook his wife’s body in order to wake her up again. Mo Yeon slowly opened her eyes and smiled. They ate in silence and Si Jin watched his wife until she finished eating. After they finished, Si Jin cleaned up their take outs, helped Mo Yeon took her medicine, and lay himself on the bed next to his wife. Mo Yeon scooted closer and wrapped her arm on Si Jin’s waist.

“What is it that you want to talk about?” she asked.

Si Jin went silent.

Mo Yeon furrowed her eyebrows and looked at her husband. “What is it? Another mission?”

He shook his head. “No, it’s not.” He looked at his wife’s eyes. “I’m dispatched to Urk.”

Silence.

“How long?”

Si Jin took a deep breath. “Four months.”

“Oh.”

Mo Yeon lay her head back on the pillow, closing her eyes.

“I’m sorry.”

She smiled and opened her eyes. “Why are you sorry? I know it’s going to happen sooner or later.”

Si Jin caressed his wife’s cheek. “I just can’t leave you while you’re sick. I can ask for cancellation.”

“No, don’t,” Mo Yeon said. “I’m fine. Really.”

Her husband smiled a little. “The last time you said those words, you were running away from me after confessing your feelings.”

Mo Yeon chuckled and touched her husband’s cheek. “Do you remember my vow on our wedding day?” Her eyes were misty while Si Jin held Mo Yeon’s hand which was resting on his cheek. “Four months without you is by far easier than the rest of my life without you, and I mean it. So, don’t feel sorry. The man I love will do it for his country and that’s the one thing I love about you.”

“Now, you really said you love me.”

Mo Yeon laughed lightly. “Yes, I did.”

Si Jin sighed and pulled Mo Yeon closer. “Are you sure you’re okay? It’s not because of your schedule in the hospital, is it?”

Mo Yeon stilled.

Her husband smiled tenderly. “I’m not going to ask you to tell me if you don’t want to. I know it’s not because you don’t trust me, it’s because you don’t want to make me worry. Just, please. Take care of yourself. I don’t want to spend my four months in Urk worrying about you being sick.”

Mo Yeon smiled back. Si Jin was really the one who understood her. “I will. I promise.”

“So, I have two days before I have to go. Do you want to watch a movie with me?”

Mo Yeon grinned. “I also ask for a break for three days. Can I see you off?”

Si Jin nodded. “The officers who already married grant permission for their family to see them go.”

“Are you going alone or Team Alpha is going with you?”

The Major chuckled. “I’m not their Captain anymore. It’s not my duty to babysit them,” he looked at Mo Yeon and raised his eyebrows, “your words, not mine. This time, I’m going alone.”

“I see.” Mo Yeon smiled before her eyes began to droop, as the effect of her medicine.

Si Jin sighed and wrapped his arms around his wife. “Go to sleep. You need to rest.”

“Uh-huh...” the doctor mumbled.

He only tightening his embrace and realized his wife was already asleep by her breathing rhythm. Si Jin closed his eyes and kissed Mo Yeon’s head. “I’m going to miss you,” he whispered to his sleeping wife.

The next two days, Si Jin and Mo Yeon spent their days together. Watching movies, eating at a diner or cafe, doing house cores, and anything they could do before Si Jin had to depart to Urk. Mo Yeon didn’t feel any headaches anymore and she assumed it was only because of the stress. Spending time with Si Jin improved her mood and it affected her body in a good way.

The last night they spent together, Mo Yeon was helping Si Jin to pack. This was the first time for her to see a soldier prepared himself for deployment.

“How many brown uniforms do you have?” she asked when she saw Si Jin folded a pile of his duty uniforms.

“I have enough,” he answered while grinning.

Mo Yeon rolled her eyes and held one of Si Jin’s upper uniforms. “Your insignia has changed.”

Si Jin smiled. “You’ve learned.”

“I promised to learn all the insignias, didn’t I?”

He chuckled. “Yes, you did.”

Mo Yeon pursed her lips. “How many guns do you have? Can I borrow one?”

Si Jin stilled and looked at his wife in surprise. “Huh?”

The doctor only shrugged and folded one uniform. “I need to shoot someo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter