Point Blank

The Target
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
The two had taken a cab to go to the said address. It was amazing how much could change within the span of 24 hours. Compared to the time there was a big empty space between them yesterday, they now sat closely cramped in the middle of the backseat. The bare skin of their arms occasionally touched, but none bothered to move. She was staring out the window, and he was curiously gazing at her.   “Can I ask you something?” Woo Hyun broke the silence. His voice was lowered, and she immediately sensed it was gonna be something private.   “That was a question in itself,” Hyun Mi responded, giving him a teasing grin. He should’ve seen that coming and laughed before proceeding.   “Why does your… Organization… Kill people? I thought you were working for the government. Shouldn’t that make you the good guy?” He questioned in a soft whisper so the taxi driver wouldn’t pick up on it.   The playfulness on her face soon faded at the reminder of their status as the assassin and target, although it started to become less and less of that. This was a deep and sensitive topic. A day ago, she never would’ve opened up to him. But now, it felt like it was the right thing to do.   “Sometimes I wonder the same thing too. But I am too involved and know too much to get out,” she said with a smile. He could easily see through her facade and notice the brokenness.   “So you can’t escape?” He asked softly, almost sympathizing.   “I never actually tried,” she answered lowly, and this time he sensed fear. “Considering the things I have seen them do, and the knowledge of what they’re capable of, I am scared of even trying.”   Woo Hyun was surprised to see her faltering confidence. It was different from the girl who boldly approached him to retrieve his security question answers at the gala, the girl who had the shameless audacity to try and lie to him about her attempt to kill him, or the girl who stood amazed at everything he bragged about. He realized she had unconsciously revealed another part of the real her—her weak state.   “Don’t be,” his voice was woven in gentleness, and he really didn’t know what prompted his hand to usher around hers. “The greatest fear is living with the what if’s of not having tried at all. You need to have the courage to try.”   Her eyes sparked up like a lightbulb had gone off in her brain. “That line sounds awfully familiar,” she then remarked.   “Quoted by Jang Hyun Mi, one of the greatest motivational speakers I know.” Woo Hyun smiled and gave her hand a light squeeze. She smiled bashfully in return, and he felt his heart tug a little at the sight. “You need to believe in the things you’re telling other people.”   She kept her lips pressed in a thin line, avoiding his eyes.   “You need to have more conviction in the things you say, or else you’d be no different from those corruptive public speakers who make empty speeches for money.”   Hyun Mi timidly glanced at him, and despite his nagging and stern words, he only looked at her with concern. She couldn’t help admire him more, grateful his honesty reminded her why she was doing what she was supposed to do.   “This is the first time in my occupation as a motivational speaker where I am the one getting encouraged instead,” she then chuckled.   “I’m honored to be the first,” Woo Hyun played along.   Hyun Mi’s smile faded again as she pondered about his previous question. She didn’t realize her finger had started tracing nonsense symbols against his hand. “We are like the punishers of the injustice and try to set things right using other methods. Killing is usually the drastic measure taken when the target is unwilling to cooperate or repent even after their crimes has been shed to light.”   Her movements stopped only when Woo Hyun grabbed her fingers, and frowned at her with concern. She tilted her head a little and met his eyes. There was a mix of hurt and determination.   “But you’re different,” she said. “I won’t let them hurt you.”     It took nearly an hour before they arrived at the given location. The place was beautiful and grand at first glance—the typical modernized mansion owned by rich people in movies. But the location was quite suspicious considering it was isolated from a crowded area. It was the only property they had seen within the span of nearly a kilometer distance.   “Are we going to go in the old fashioned way?” Woo Hyun questioned while they were at the front door. He received the girl’s flattened eyes, probably assuming he had seen too much movies. She proceeded to press the doorbell in the most normal way possible.   No answer.   The doorbell rang again for several times, and everytime it was met with silence.   “Maybe no one’s home,” Woo Hyun suggested and repeated the action uselessly when she had stopped trying.   “Guess we won’t use the old fashioned way then,” she gave in, seeing his smile grow. She pressed the inner button of her watch and picked up the needle stored inside. After ensuring the coast was clear, she began to push it into the lock and opened the front door with ease.   “Remarkable,” Woo Hyun uttered, looking at her in awe. “You should teach me.”   Hyun Mi laughed and was about to lead the way inside when he grabbed her wrist and led her to stand behind him.   “This is the only time I go against the whole ‘ladies first’ idea. Stay behind me,” he told her and slid his hand lower to envelop his fingers around hers.   Hyun Mi had to give him credits again for his ability to let her lose her focus during an active mission. It was so much harder to absorb the splendor of the grand house when all she could see in vision were their intertwined fingers, and all she could hear was the increasing pounding rhythm of her heart.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter