Confrontations

The Berserker

Surrounded. They were completely circled by other wolves, powerless and outnumbered. It was nothing new but there was always a small sense of anger as they knew that they couldn’t do anything, not in this situation: not when Baekhyun could move, not when they knew Sehun wouldn’t stand a chance against wolves well versed into the art of battle and when Chanyeol wasn’t in the best condition. Fighting would only kill them faster as resistance always does.

When wolves, many, surged forward and visibly surrounded them, they stood in their positions, Chanyeol and Baekhyun in front of Sehun, protecting the beta. Berserkers were protectors by nature and Sehun was meaningful for them; even if they didn’t have any more strength they would go down swinging, doing what Mother Nature had turned them into.

Jungsu was the wolf in front of them, not morphed but claws out, ready to strike if he needed. He didn’t attack as he saw them and Sehun let out a breath of air, not even realizing that he had been holding it: Jungsu in the front meant that the Council had been desperate enough to send the Guardians after them, seeing as Jungsu was there, and that also meant that if Sehun knew how to turn things in their favor, that they could have a change of escaping this without being killed.

It seemed to help that Jungsu was an extraordinary human being, a good person, who stopped immediately when he saw them, lifting a hand when he noticed the trio was in a truly bad state.

Jungsu seemed hesitant in moving, his integrity not allowing him to do much by telling him that striking at a fallen enemy was low. He knew that the Council had taken care of the prisoners but he wasn’t aware that they have been mistreated or that Sehun was amongst them.

He stared at the sight in front of him, feeling pity for their poor state and feeling a little impressed that even in the said state they stood protecting one another; protecting people was a noble trait of character and Jungsu value that, even if it was on enemies.

“Tell your wolves to attack.” Ordered a voice behind him and Jungsu turned around to look at Youngwoon’s face.

The man didn’t really like what he saw; there was a look onto the Council member’s face that was truly vengeful and hateful.

“I don’t think an attack is necessary.” Replied the wolf calmly. “Our targets are not attacking us and they are in poor condition, therefore I see no necessity in attack them. I suggest…”

“You suggest nothing!” barked the male. “The Council is sovereign.”

Jungsu raised an eyebrow at the words. He hadn’t been enjoying the Council’s attitude for a long time. They had been trying to out rein everyone in the village, forgetting that there was a hierarchy already established and they shared responsibilities and ranks with a lot of people, making them not that important at all compared to their Alpha Leader or the Guardian themselves.

The Leader of the Guardians noticed Sehun; he had known the boy ever since he was a small pup, running around his mother’s legs and laughing around like a happy, bright kid he was. He assisted from the first row as Sehun grew into a handsome teenager with a good core. It had been a tragedy when the boy’s parents died and left him alone but Sehun managed to surpass that, Jongdae and himself helping each other, and eventually he became an amazing human being and Jungsu couldn’t be prouder of him.

Looking over at the boy, watching properly his movements, he could tell that the younger was scared less of whatever it was happening and Jungsu wasn’t really sure if he was for his safety or for the safety of those with him, since he looked over at them with such wide eyes, grabbing the sleeve of the shorter one so tightly that it was obvious, for whoever was watching that he shared some relationship with him.

He had known the boy all his life and seeing like this was heartbreaking: Sehun had always been a good person and Jungsu wasn’t really sure as to why he should harm him just because he was in the presence of two people who were considered to be dangerous. Sehun was someone intelligent and sensible: he wouldn’t trust anyone that easily if they weren’t reliable. So that raised the question: why did Sehun trust them so blinded? Why were they being chased if they didn’t do anything wrong to the date? And were they really dangerous?

Without looking over at Youngwoon, maintaining his gaze upon Sehun’s face, he relaxed his stance, leading most of the wolves of the Guardians, people who followed him without any question, to relax their stance as well, standing quiet and silently telling him that they would follow his steps.

“The Council is not sovereign. That is an adjective or a noun that the Guardians associate only with our Alpha Leader. The Council advises our Leader but only him has the power of decision on important matters. Therefore, the Guardians will these three wolves and wait until our Leader arrives in order to deal properly with the situation.”

The wolves standing with Jungsu quickly relaxes entirely their stances, posture sagging as if they were having a lazy afternoon conversation with each other, when they noticed that their leader was doing the exact same thing.

Youngwoon seemed to be red I the face with anger as he realized that Jungsu was not going to do what he wanted. He was livid over the fact that someone dared to not comply with what he wanted; being a member of the Council meant he had protection from Sooyoun and Soo Man and that meant that people should listen to them: he knew important people and he, himself, was important for knowing them and belonging to their world, he should be respected and obeyed.

“You know that I belong to the Council and that I act in the name of Soo Man…” replied the man harshly, only to be interrupted by Jungsu.

“As you should know that I belong to the Guardians, their Leader if you’d like to be precise, which means that I don’t answer to the Council but to the Leader of this pack directly. If you are smart enough, you realize that that means that I don’t exactly take the Council in consideration at all in my decisions; I think of what it’s best for the village and take that matter to my alpha.”

“But the Guardians don’t have a say in these matters…we are treating this as a treason case.” Retorted Youngwoon, trying to gain the upper hand on the matter, seeing that he didn’t really have any good arguments against the male.

“However, the Guardians take care of all the matters related to peace and war about this community. The presence of berserkers on our territory is clearly falling into that category, therefore this is not a matter for the Council, or at least, the Council doesn’t take priority when regarding to them, that priority falls onto the Guardians. We will take this matter into our hands.”

The statement was made in a very clear and calm manner, giving no opportunities for the other male to refute the Guardians leader argument.

However, Youngwoon was an obtuse person and he simply hated to admit defeat taking consideration how highly he thought of himself and to whom he was speaking, who was seen, by the pack, as a person with a higher rank that his, which wasn’t acceptable by his terms.

“You are not thinking things through…You are defying the orders of the high powers of the Council who are a very powerful and meaningful organization to this community, to this village’s safety and wellbeing…”

“We agree to disagree on that matter. However, I am tired of your repeating statements…”

“You wouldn’t be if you just eliminated the threat…”

Jungsu shot him an unimpressed look, not really believing that the man was still insisting on the same arguments that he had used before and led him to nowhere.

“Which I said I wasn’t going to.”

“I think we have to settle this argument with the Council then.”

Jungsu had the brief thought of rolling his eyes in answer to the other man’s clear stubbornness and inability to accept his decision, or even the fact that his rank meant nothing for the Guardians Leader; however, he didn’t really give away to the temptation since he still was a highly respected figure who had some kind of appearance to maintain.

“If does that appease your insecurities” bit Jungsu with a hint of sarcasm on his voice. “then we shall visit the Council to expose our arguments and points of view to it.”

Youngwoon seemed to be content at the mention of the Council because he completely disregarded the sarcasm, smirking a little in Jungsu’s direction as if he had won something.

“However,” continued Jungsu, feeling like he should add something at the smug expression on the other’s face. “do not think that the presence of Soo Man or Sooyoun is going to change my opinions or deter me from my purpose and, furthermore, I declare that these three people: Oh Sehun and both of his companions are, from this moment on, under the protection of the Guardians, which makes them untouchable until the final verdict of our Alpha Leader.”

Sehun observed faintly, feeling his legs give out on him in relief when he heard Jungsu proffering those words. He felt both Chanyeol and Baekhyun relaxing also when he did, probably remembering that Yixing had been offered that same protection, a sort of immunity against the true evil that tried to reign on this village.

There was a deep sense of gratitude towards the older male, Jungsu, settling into their chests and Sehun even saw Baekhyun nodding his head in acknowledgement towards Jungsu, thanking him for the mercy he was showing them.

Youngwoon, however, didn’t seem as happy as everyone, looking about to explode as he heard Jungsu’s declaration and knowing that the trio was now untouchable thanks to the rules of their pack. He advanced towards Jungsu, his stance overly aggressive, spitting out words that didn’t faze the other male.

“You cannot do that! These two strangers are berserkers! Berserkers are s danger to all races, especially considering that they usually follow an Oracle who is a deadly creature who brings nothing but disgrace and chaos to a village. And you are trying to protect them by allowing them to have immunity like that?”

“What about Sehun?” countered Jungsu “You were ready to kill him as the other wolves but your arguments were lacking since you cannot proof his culpability or innocence.”

“He is clearly guilty! Look at him, lying prostrate behind him, while they are clearly protecting them.”

“That can’t be proved; you need something more solid than that. If I, myself, allowed them some mercy, why can’t those wolves do the same and protect an innocent person?!”

“You know they have been locked together…”

“But Sehun didn’t confirm nor denied the ties that you claim that bonds them. I cannot make assumptions based on things that I see. And if they truly have some kind of bond, I do not know the depth of it, how was it formed and the circumstances therefore I can’t really blame him for anything. Especially when he is being faced with someone who is proving to be a savage instead of a rational human being.”

The tone in which Jungsu had stated that last sentence had been laced with so much animosity that even Youngwoon retreated back a little, his aggressiveness receding, knowing fully well that he couldn’t lay a hand on such a high ranked wolf and that if, for some reason, he did, he wouldn’t be able to win: Jungsu was one of the strongest wolf of the pack, probably losing only to the Alpha Leader, which meant that Youngwoon would be dead if he tried.

The Council member turned them to the berserkers, his anger focused on Sehun’s form. As if noticing that Youngwoon was about to do something stupid, probably blinded by his ire, Jungsu held him by and arm, ruby red eyes flashing in warning.

“Every single one of those three wolves is under my protection and, as you know, my rank is superior to yours, therefore I suggest that you bottle up your feelings, get yourself together and act like a rational and mature person for once.”

That made the male back again definitely moving away from the trio. With a gesture from his hand, the wolves that had come with him, the scarce amount, he left the scene with them following him, loudly saying that he would meet them immediately at the Council building.

Jungsu watched him leave, sighing in annoyance and relief, before focusing on the three males in front of him. Sehun had completely backed into the ground, fully lying there with a hand over his eyes, making small sounds at the back of his throat that sounded a lot of a pup in distress. More interesting was seeing how the shorter wolf reacted to the sounds in a second, approaching the beta and sitting on the floor next to him, in a state of pure exhaustion. He was fussing over the beta, checking him out and assuring himself that Sehun was okay. It was almost as impressive as seeing Sehun respond to the touch as instantaneously as it began, leaning towards the short wolf and ultimately nestling himself into his arms, mumbling something on the other’s ear, speaking so low that not even Jungsu could hear.

He approached them, noting how the tallest male of all looked over him placidly, seemingly out of energy while the two entwined in an embrace turned to do the same.

“Hello.” He greeted softly, showing that he wasn’t trying to do any harm to them., not wishing to trigger any belligerent movement on those; they were berserkers after all and he didn’t want to risk too much even though they were seemingly completely depleted of energy “As you may have heard, my name in Jungsu, leader of the Guardians, an organization that warrants the safety of this pack, as Sehun can attest. As you may have understood, this man here is a part of the Council, which is an organization, such as the Guardians, who deals with advising our Leader and does some minor decisions regarding some tasks performed by the villagers. As it is my understanding, you are both berserkers who were previously encased and imprisoned by us before. I also understand that someone was killed…”

“Jungsu,” began Sehun in haste, a little panicked at the prospect of being charged with murder. “hear me out please, it was self-defense, Hyunseung was hurting me and they only did it to help me. We were being abused and…”

“Sehun.” Interrupted Jungsu, making the younger shut up and look at him. “I am not blaming you or accusing you of anything. I am merely stating something that has occurred. The Guardians did not intervened at the beginning because, as you may know, there was a breach of security and some creatures got inside your village and we had to deal with that, leaving all the secondary matters into the hands of Council. We intervene now because the previous problem is solved, for the time being that is, and your particular case concern us and it encased in our responsibilities.”

“Jungsu…”

“Don’t interrupt me Sehunnie, please.” Cut the male with a small smile on his face. “As I was saying, our situation concerns us and therefore here we are now. However, I question myself on whether you are a threat or not based on you behavior, since all you have done so far was defend yourselves and protect one of us, which isn’t a dangerous or aggressive behavior at all. It makes me question a lot of things that I believed and a lot of things that I be told. You act in a way that does not match the descriptions that I have of you. And seeing you care for Sehun in the way you are doing, makes me believe that there is more to you than what I now. My interest was piqued and I am allowing you to have a chance to prove me that I was right and that your presence here does not affect our normalcy and that you are absolutely benign. That being said, I offered you, as you heard, the protection of the Guardians which means that no one is allowed you to touch you until our Leader arrives from his task with his mate and, after hearing all the sides of this story, provides with a verdict, a verdict that I cannot change no matter my opinion on you. I will be testifying in your favor, attesting that your behavior has been nothing but exemplar up to this moment. I hope that you trust me and that my trust on you, especially my trust on Sehun, is not in vain.”

Jungsu wasn’t expecting them to say anything but that didn’t seem to be the case as Chanyeol opened his mouth to talk.

“We appreciate your gesture and the mercy you shown us although I must day that I am a little bit skeptical over whatever is going to happen now.”

“How so?” asked the red eyed alpha as he furrowed his eyebrows in the berserker’s direction.

“Are they really going to hold on to the rules of your pack? It seems that the Council is very influent on your pack and they seem to have a very high opinion on their position and their powers; I question if they are going to follow said rules or attack us.”

Jungsu looked at the tall wolf with a somber look.

“They will try to harm you that I can assure you. Ever since Soo Man took over the Council there has been an increasing effort from their part to out power every person around, including the Leader Alpha. I have certainly noticing that and it makes me question several things that had been happening lately. Regardless, they might act upon seeing you but the price to pay for that will be high: first, they are disrespecting the Guardians and second, they will be presented to the Leader and Yifan is not someone to take lightly. He is a young alpha but he rules well and doesn’t tolerate shenanigans from anyone.”

“That isn’t very reassuring, is it?”

“It is not but it’s the truth; I am presenting you with something that might end up being true and giving you time to prepare yourself for an incident. You trials didn’t stop yet. However, I assure you that I will do everything in my power to keep you safe from them.”

“And why are you doing this?” asked Baekhyun using a calm and stable voice. “You know Sehun, you do well protecting him, but you have no bonds us, no relationship…The only thing that you have about us is probably some misplaced hatred thanks to all of those fairy tales about us.”

“I don’t have any connections to you, fair enough.” Agreed Jungsu. “But I do have a lot of respect for Sehun. I’ve known him since he was a pup who was missing milk teeth and begged people to kiss his boo boos. I’ve seen him grown into a formidable man who had a sharp mind and his very intelligent. I don’t know you but I know him and if he trusts you, if he holds you in such high regards as he does, it is as clear as day, then I must trust him and his instincts. He deserves the consideration.”

“Don’t you think we brainwashed him? That we are coercing him to be this way to us?” asked Baekhyun. “Many people in your place would.”

“I am not them and, also, Sehun isn’t the person to be brainwashed.”

“Interesting perspective.” Commented Baekhyun lightly, as if the tense atmosphere around them wasn’t thick enough to choke them.

“I am an interesting person, as you seemed to be.” Replied Jungsu just as lightly.

They both stared at each other for a while, accessing the other’s intentions and trying to find something to fault on the other. Sehun was on the edge, gaze shifting from one to another, prepared to intervene if something happened.

Baekhyun was the first to drop the stare, much to everyone’s surprise, even Jungsu’s. He gave the older man a slight nod, barely perceptible, and the tension dissipated almost completely, allowing Sehun to breathe properly.

“Thank you.” Declared the shorter berserker. “We appreciate our kindness.”

“Nothing to thank me for, there is still much to go through and I sincerely hope that everyone can survive this. You are an intriguing character and I am truly forward to talk more to you. Those tales you mentioned, I’ve heard them all but now? Now I am interesting to hear a new tale that recounts them all at once from a new perspective: a personal one.”

Baekhyun hummed in response as Chanyeol stated something along the lines of hoping to break the stigma that permanently surrounded them and the myths that seemed to pursue them. He really wished that berserkers and Oracles alike stopped being seen as bringers of destruction.

“Now, you will have to follow me until the Council’s den. We still have to guarantee that they will not overstep any boundaries. I trust you to follow us diligently and without problems…”

“You have our word.” Promised Baekhyun solemnly. “We won’t do anything unless we are attacked. If that is the case, I can promise nothing.”

“Fair enough.” Agreed Jungsu with a smile before standing up and motioning his men to help the trio get up and them to the Council’s place, taking the lead in the small group.

He looked once behind.

“Buckle up boys.” He told them all, tone of voice loud, as if he was talking to his men, but sending the message to the trio instead. “The worst is yet to come.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Arriving to the Council’s den was peaceful, although there was a sense of tenseness at the prospect of an encounter between its members and the group led by Jungsu. There was still the threat of a possible attack hanging between then

At some point the leader of the Guardians had asked some of his wolves to help the trio since they were almost unable to walk, their injuries dragging them down. Sehun had been appreciative of the gesture, Donghae was soft but sturdy, very familiar too, which helped him to relax a little, albeit he noticed Baekhyun’s gaze from his other side.

At soon as the building was in sight, they saw the large amount of people expecting them with Lee Soo Man at the front flanked by Sooyoun and Youngwoon, which were probably the two figures who Soo Man trusted the most; Sooyoun was, in all honesty even more influential than Soo Man, she was probably the mastermind behind a lot of things who, smartly, allowed Soo Man to take the credits: if the proverbial fan was hit, she could easily discard herself from being guilty.

They stopped in front of the group, halting their steps and standing face to face with each other.

“Jungsu.” Greeted Soo Man pleasantly.

Looking over at the man, it was clear that he had a certain age; however he seemed to be aging really well with really few wrinkles on his tanned face. Despite his pleasant tone of voice, his defined jaw was jutting forward just a small bit and his eyes seemed almost gone behind the obvious fake smile plastered on his face.

“Council Leader Soo Man.” Greeted Jungsu back, nodding his head more out of politeness than anything else.

“I’ve heard, through our dear member Youngwoon that we find ourselves at a predicament right now. I believe that the Guardians are protecting two dangerous beasts at the moment.” He claimed, voice still painted with dulcet tones, eying the two berserkers behind Jungsu.

“It is true indeed.”

“Well, while we do appreciate your noble actions, it was a completely unnecessary thing to do; after all the Council was treating the matter before rather well: we almost managed to get precious information from these two beasts.”

“And we appreciate your effort but the Guardians believe that they should take the matters into their own hands. After all, it is our duty and we believe to be more efficient and just while doing so.” Replied Jungsu politeness dripping from his words, obviously forced; it was a game of words that the two males were playing.

“Just? Why is justice being questioned when handling these two very dangerous wolves?” asked Soo Man.

“Because, while I understand that you are, obviously, trying to protect our village, I fail to comprehend why Sehun is involved in this whole matter.”

“I believe that young Oh Sehun has been associating himself with these two males, in secrecy, which makes him a traitor to the rules of our community. We do not know the things he had revealed to them that could possibly put in danger our security. Perhaps this whole incident with the wizard community was a plot of theirs.”

Sehun felt indignation bubbling up his throat when he heard what was said. How dare Soo Man claim that they were guilty when it was the Council associating with them? He really wanted to expose them right there and then but Seungwan’s words came to his mind, telling him that he should wait, and he did, swallowing the words that were stuck .

“I think that the Guardians should let the Council occupy themselves with this problem while you occupy with other important things.” Suggested the older man, eyebrows lifted high in his forehead and a smile that sent shivers down on Sehun’s back; for a moment he wasn’t sure if Jungsu was going to give up to the man.

“We appreciate the concern but we will take the matters into our hands and after our Leader returns, we will discuss the matter with him and choose the best course of action.”

Soo Man wasn’t expecting Jungsu to say that: it was clear as day by how surprised he looked. Sehun breathed out in relief at the words.

“Jungsu, I don’t believe that you are thinking things through: we were attacked recently and you should worry about that and let this to us…”

“I understand perfectly and I decline the offer.”

“You are making a big mistake.”

The sentence was small but it was the first time throughout the whole conversation that Soo Man lost his beatific smile and his face contorted into something far more dangerous, almost threatening.

Jungsu, to his credit, didn’t seem taken aback at all, probably expecting this.

“I don’t think I am. I am just looking out for everyone wellbeing.” He stated, indirectly saying that the Council only acted based on their private wishes, selfishly putting themselves above all else.

“Dear Jungsu.” Cut in Sooyoun, her steely yet sweet voice cutting through the air like a sharp knife. “For some reason, I see your actions are protecting these two vile creatures: two confirmed berserkers. You know that they are dangerous to everyone and yet you treat them as if they are your own peers, allowing them a fair judgement when we both know they should be dead by now. I am beginning to question your loyalties and your leadership.”

“You don’t need to worry about by loyalties Council Member Sooyoun; they always laid on my Alpha Leader. I had no deviations whatsoever in terms of loyalty and as for my leadership skills, the members of the Guardians seem to trust me and rely on me, therefore you shouldn’t be worry about that.”

“Cut the crap.” Interjected Youngwoon. “You are protecting two berserkers. They should’ve been dead by now and you are only interfering with the Council’s wishes. You are showing traitorous behavior…”

“Because I chose to protect them or because I don’t follow with the things you wish to do?” questioned Jungsu, all the politeness going from his face, allowing the man to show a hardened, unreadable expression.

“The Council is an important organization on the village and they should be obeyed.” Replied Soo Man. “We have vast amounts of experience that can…”

“Please, don’t think I am naïve enough for that.” Cut Jungsu. “Your experience means nothing to me. What matters to me is that you are clearly abusing the power that you have, behaving in a completely unacceptable way, as if you ruled this village.”

“But we do! After the Alpha…”

“You don’t. Not now, not ever. As you said just now, our Alpha Leader is the sovereign here, stop behaving as if you are Yifan. Only him has the kind of power you are trying to emulate.”

“But Yifan isn’t here right now.” Spat Sooyoun, her pretentious act falling through the ground and allowing everyone to see a new side of her.

Out of the corner of his eye, Sehun eyed Jungsu, and only when he saw the small smirk on the man’s face he understood that the older was trying to expose the Council’s to the wolves gathering around, showing them that they were power hungry and trying to take Yifan’s position from his subtly.

“Your leader isn’t here right now and the Council is doing his job, as it should.” Concluded Sooyoun, her eyes sparkling violently.

“That is where you are wrong Sooyoun.”

The new voice startled everyone and they turned to look over at the two figures approaching them.

In front of their eyes, tall and imposing, was the last person the Council wished to see followed by his mate.

“Yifan!”

 

 

 

A/N: Aaaaaaand back I am! (WooHoo for me who is currently enjoying a month of vacations to compensate the eleven months that I go crazy with work!). And here is also another chapter of this story. Let us recap, shall we? Let's see, the Guardians caught our trio BUT, Jungsu seemed doubtful that they were trying to cause harm to anyone and he, and his soft heart told him that they weren't a threat. Alas, Jungsu is one of the characters that questions the motivations of the Council: he is doubtful of their intentions at time and thank heavens for that! (You noticed by know that a lot of different idols from dramas and kpop bands appear in my stories, right? xD ) Jungsu also tries to protect them because he trusts Sehun. Then the Council happens and we see a little power struggle between the Guardians and the Council, although their motives are totally different from one another: ones want the power, others just want to do what is right. And then, riiiiiight at end: BAM! Yifan's back and things are going to change a little because Yifan isn't the one to play!
Well, tell me, how did you enjoyed this chapter? What do you think it is going to happen? What do you think it is going to be Yifan's reaction? Please, do tell me everything via comment or message. Upvote if you love the story and perhaps, if you fell like it, check some other stories to see you like them!
As always, please remember: be safe and be healthy, love yourself, love others and allow them to love you as well and BE HAPPY!
Have a marvellous week and enjoy life!
Lots of love,
<3