A Pack's History

The Berserker

Since the beginning of times, at least to what everyone could remember, wolf packs had always existed and these strongly organized packs, with rigid rules and strict hierarchy, ruled the forest lands. Naturally, there was much more the world than simply wolf packs; there was an immensely large community of creatures wandering around, vampires, banshees, ghouls, nymphs… whatever could be remembered, it probably existed.

Humans were a kind of species that no one bothered to acknowledge anymore, there was no point to it. All the existing creatures had that same ancestor: humans, but, somewhere along the course of history, evolution had transformed them into what they were today.

Nevertheless, despite having the same ancestor, there wasn’t really a sense of harmony among their descendants. It was a power struggle, the necessity of proving themselves as the strongest race, had made a lot of wars implode and a lot of lives to be taken away, far sooner than they should.

A few races were far more peaceful than others, like the nymphs, wanting nothing more than to be left in peace, banshees were feared upon, mostly because of the invasive and demented look they had and the clairvoyance that allowed them to predict death. Demons were really not a problem since they lived in the underworld and rarely come up to the so called normal world for anything.

Curiously, and despite all the myths, vampires and wolves got on well enough among them. The problem was the harpies and the general magical community, witches, wizards, warlocks, who often caused ruckus and chaos among the other species.

However, if there was a single creature out on the world that everyone, unanimously, feared, it had to be the Oracle wolves, and they were the reason why so many wars for dominance existed. This particular type of wolf was born with the capacity of predict the future to an extent. They saw glimpses of images of what was yet to happen, be it good or bad, and that ability, that none other creature possessed, was both feared and wanted, at the same time.

 An Oracle wolf was a rare type of wolf among their hierarchy and one that ranked the bottom of it also. As it was known, wolf packs were controlled by a Council constituted by a group of older wolves, the Elders, dotted with wisdom and experience that guided the Alpha leader on his path.

Each Alpha leader was chosen whenever the previous one passed away, through a series of trials, imposed by the Council to the suitable and viable candidates for the role. What the trials consisted upon, no one knew, since it was a secret ritual. After the decision of the Council, who chose the most apt candidate after all trials had taken place, the new Alpha Leader was presented to the whole pack, who swore loyalty to the new leader in the ceremony that took place afterwards. The remaining alphas resumed their normal tasks in the pack, hunting and protecting, the true fighters in the ranks.

The betas were next in rank, below alphas, and they were the scholar group of the pack. They were usually in charge of the medical and teaching fields and, some of them, the ones trusted by the Alpha Leader, were chosen to be a part of the diplomacy group the pack possessed that took upon the negotiations within and outside the pack.

Finally, at the bottom of their tripartite society, were the omegas, the breeders of the pack and usually in charge of the domestic and field work and also the raising of the young pups. They were not at the bottom of the pack because of any particular reason, it was mostly due to the fact that they were the ones who everyone tried to protect the most since they were the only ones able to reproduce and since children were important to any pack, they were the ones who were prioritized in a dangerous situation.

Oracle wolfs, however, were a specific type of species inside a wolf pack. No one really knew how why there cast aside like that. Ancient stories, that had been told, time and time again, from mouth to mouth, said that the once loved Oracle wolves, who existed in far greater number, met their downfall when a wolf, a young male full of live, had dreamt about the destruction of his pack, one of the larger packs to walk upon the forest lands. It was a beautiful man and the mate of the Alpha leader and when he had first dreamt about the blood and the bodies and the mass destruction of his pack, everyone grew eerie and prepared for a possible attack. But when, months and months after, it fail to happen, remaining everything as peaceful as it was, people began do doubt the abilities of the Oracle and mocking him, the man was sent into a spiraling downfall that led him to insanity and, before everyone’s eyes, the insane wolf, driven by that insanity, managed to annihilate the majority of his own pack and other, innocent, surrounding packs, leaving few to escape alive that massacre.

The visions that the Oracle had turned into reality but the fear and hatred that remained towards him was it caused the great Purge, where a lot of Oracle wolves had been persecuted and killed, simply to prevent another massacre of such proportions of happening. It was sad that it was still a normal incidence these days, the fear of those creatures prevented anyone from being remotely compassionate towards them and, as soon as an Oracle wolf was born, a rare occurrence at the present time, it was immediately killed.

The truth was that Oracle wolves were indeed very susceptible to fall into insanity, the burden of their visions, some of them truly gruesome, was far too much for them to bear, but their power, if analyzed into some other perspective, could potentially empower a pack. At least that was what creatures like harpies and witches, wanted them so much: the perfect slave that could bring them greatness with its visions, hence the reason why there actively chased by them. Such great power doomed to death or imprisonment; such curse to face, making them be forever fugitives if they managed to be the lucky ones to get away.

Some, few, species, such as centaurs, peaceful and very wise, who wanted nothing more than learn and to live in peace, tried, time and time again to come with an answer to why such creature existed. The truth was that no one really know why such a type of wolf existed; if there was a tripartite society among wolves, why did one of its ranks, the omega one, divided itself into two subtypes: the typical omega and the Oracle ones? No one knew! No one knew its origin but everyone feared it.

At least those where the stories that Sehun heard; the Elders in the pack never failed to retell them at every possible Assembly meeting that they had, advising everyone to inform the higher ranks of an encounter; Oracle wolves had no place among their society, they said, or even the world they lived.

Young Sehun, barely considered a grown wolf since he had reached maturity fairly recently, two years ago, thought to himself that packs were being far too judgmental and blaming and ostracizing Oracles, upon a single, although very unfortunate episode, was cruel and unnecessary, not to mention plain ignorant. There hadn’t been a birth of an Oracle wolf in many, many years on Sehun’s pack and the young beta, lived peacefully, so far at least, in his pack.

His pack, the called Shadow Pack, due to the amount of dark colored wolves that existed, although there once a few that broke that pattern, lived on the southern part of the forest, on a large clearing by the river, had been lucky, in everybody’s perspective, failed for a long time to cross paths with the Oracle wolfs.

Sehun loved his pack, he considered them to be a cohesive one, especially with the new Alpha leader they had, Kris. Kris, or Yifan as few called the, had been their leader for about three years, given or taken. Tall, muscular and generally quiet; Kris was a good leader and quite a capable one too. He had taken a mate soon after he was appointed as the new leader. It was a surprise to no one really because he had been courting a sweet omega long before his new title: Junmyeon.

Junmyeon was such a docile and sweet wolf that he was loved by anyone, beautiful, generous and kind. Kris loved him and they were a formidable duo, Kris helped empowering Junmyeon, making the man not feel as fragile as everyone treated him, and the omega calmed Kris when his temperament got the best of him. Conceiving was not an option for them, at least naturally, since the both of them were males, however, a spell, weaved long time ago by their great, great, great grandmothers and grandfathers, had allowed them to have children, by implanting, magically, an embryo into the uterus of a carrier, a female wolf designed to carry the children of two mated males.

The hadn’t think about a child yet, with Kris still adjusting to his chores and Junmyeon wanting to enjoying their honeymoon phase a little bit longer before actually having children. There wasn’t any rush to it either, the pack had a lot of young pups running around and everything was in perfect harmony as it was at the moment.

At least that was Junmyeon had told him, himself, in one of the visits he had made into the appointed clinic they had, where Sehun trained to be an herbalist and a healer under Luhan’s, a fellow beta, who was the main medic into their pack, or at least, the more reliable and older, wing.

Sehun, being the curious beta he was, had made a ton of questions to Luhan regarding the Oracle wolves but the older beta shrugged, stating it wasn’t his area of knowledge, so he bothered Jongdae, a scholar used to teach young pups full of energy how to read and write.

“Well,” began the brunette man, who everyone like to tease because of the upturned corners of his lips, calling him a werecat, which was generally enough to put the man into a bad mood. “there isn’t that much about Oracle wolves that survived through the year except for some folklore and some stories. But that’s about it.”

“But how can they be distinguished from other Omegas? Is it by smell?”

“No, that wouldn’t be a criteria I would use to distinguish them. I mean, it’s a given that different ranks, smell different, you have the flowery scent of the Omegas, the citrusy smell of Betas and even the wooden scent to Alphas but the contact between them, although we do have an amazing sense of smell, end up mixing with one another and, at the end of the day, either you jump into people sniffing them like a common dog, or people just pretty much smell of each other and nature all of them time.”

“Then how can you know that an Oracle wolf is an Oracle wolf?”

“There is a myth saying that Oracle wolves’ eyes turn into a light green color when they shift but, Sehun, as I told you, these are only stories that have been told, I never contacted with an Oracle wolf to know if it’s true or not.”

Sehun had nodded to the man and scamper off after this. He was still curious and Jongdae had been nice enough to explain but there was work to do and Luhan would not be happy if he knew that the younger had been skipping his tasks.

He ran towards the inner part of the woods, leaving the bright clearing behind and nodding or waving to the people he met on his way, gaining a few enthusiastic waves back, for example Tao, a rather good looking Omega that really enjoyed flaunting his best assets to every available person in the pack, trying to get someone to court him but, since he was rather young and haven’t experienced his first heat yet, that occurred around the twenties for the Omegas, what was good since it was a good time for them to cross the bridge that separated their childhood from adulthood.

He ran into the wood, looking for some herbs that he and Luhan were going to use later on to make some medicine, choosing to shift into his wolf form, a gorgeous dark russet wolf appearing in his place.

The wolf trotted to a patch of flowers and little plants lying underneath the shadow of a big and twisted tree trunk, approaching it quickly. Sehun was a pretty young wolf and sometimes, he was also a very distracted wolf, which it was why he never noticed the scent of unfamiliar wolves nearby until a menacing and truthfully terrifying growl made itself be heard on his ear.

He turned around and was faced with a big white wolf. Sehun’s breath was stuck on his throat at the majestic sight of the other shifter whose eyes flashed warningly at him, a great variety of colors twisting and twirling on the other’s iris, which wasn’t common. The light colored fur wasn’t common either, being typical of the Northern Mountains wolves, the so called Snow Wolves.

Sehun, back into his human form, being it the shock or scare that he had got, fixated himself on the snarling shifter’s eye color because one way of knowing if a shifter’s rank, was by the color of their flashing eyes as they turned into their wolf forms: red for alphas, golden for betas and blue for omegas. He had never seen a wolf like that before and the thrill and wonder of the creature before him.

In his perplexed state, Sehun failed to sense that the creature had been seconds away from biting his head off or, at least, make a lot of damage, when a soft voice, young and sweet interjected.

“That’s enough, Baekhyun; back away from him.”

The white wolf, who Sehun could now see that he wasn’t totally white, a few streaks on an unidentified color painted on his fur, backed away slowly, with much caution in his moves,

The white wolf moved back, stepping into the side of a tall young man, with similar height as himself, with tanned skin, thick lips and warm eyes, giving a strong aura of sweetness and innocence. The wolf was still growling and it was not difficult to see how protective of the boy he was.

Another wolf, bigger than the previous one, with a greyish fur appeared behind the boy, colorful eyes glowing and positioned himself beside him, adopting a defensive stance. The boy, flanked by two gigantic wolves, looked completely at ease there.

“Change, both of you; he is not going to hurt you. I can assure you that.”

Sehun remained transfixes, laying on the ground, looking as the first shifter, the silver wolf, transformed into a tall man, with dark silver hair, similar to molten lead. His eyes were pretty, almond shaped and dark. He looked very strong and very imposing but there was an underlying sweetness in those eyes and that was all the more notorious as he touched the standing man on his arms, very gently, searching his eyes for something that he most surely found, as he nodded to the slightly shorter male.

The other wolf transformed and only then Sehun was able to see the rivulets of blood painting his body, making him sink to his knees pretty quickly, a hand covering his mauled flank.

Sehun stared at it, a little impressed at the other’s stoic stance, since it must’ve hurt like hell and he wasn’t making a sound, despite the fact that he had, indeed collapsed on the floor.

“A wendigo got him:” said the bronze skinned male, approaching the kneeled male. “Injured him quite a bit and it’s been hard for him to heal himself. Baekhyun?”

Baekhyun looked over at him, breathing rather quickly, a little wrinkling on his forehead as the indication of his pain. Only now, with his face being hit by the sunlight, could Sehun properly his face: the milky skin, the silverish blonde hair, the droopy eyes and the high cupid’s bow. He wasn’t as large as the other male was but, nonetheless, he had an intimidating aura around him, someone who could break a creature’s neck in no time.

The tanned male, inspected the wound carefully, prodding a little. Sehun could now see that there was a huge bite mark on the other’s flank…oh wow, there was actually a chunk missing, it was quite gruesome and Sehun felt his stomach churning at the sight. He was training to be a healer, that was certain, but he had never seen such a wound on one of his pack members, nothing this serious.

The tallest man approached his companions, an eye still on Sehun, alert and not trusting Sehun a bit, if the look on his face was something to go by.

“How is he?”

“Not good.” replied the tanned man, eyes still inspecting the wound. “The bite has done some internal damage but it’s worrying me more the fact that he isn’t healing properly. I don’t like it; he is losing far too much blood. We need get him treated.”

“I am an apprentice.”

When three heads swiveled in his direction, Sehun had to bite back a whimper. The tanned male seemed harmless enough, sweet even, but the other two seemed like they could tear him apart in a second or two, even the injured wolf.

The taller one growled at him and Sehun backed away but the dark haired male stopped him with a gentle hand on his shoulder.

“Don’t Chanyeol. Let’s hear what he has to say.” the man said very gently, eyes locked onto Sehun’s scared ones.

“I’m an apprentice. In my pack. I am an apprentice in my pack. Our healer, Luhan, has been teaching me although I am really not that amazing at it since I haven’t been under his apprenticeship.” Babbled Sehun, beads of sweat appearing on his temple; he was so nervous he thought he could pass out.

“He’s nervous: I can smell it.” claimed Chanyeol, the tallest of them all. “That is a trait of someone who isn’t trustworthy.”

“Chanyeol… let us not be like that.” Chided the tanned male. “He is clearly nervous because there is a group of unknown wolves in this territory, where two of them are being a menace. Honestly, it’s like you two were raised by the metaphorical wolves.”

Sehun thanked the male silently, knowing that it was because of his cool attitude that he was not being teared apart by the other two wolves. He wiped his hands to the soft material of his trousers, trying to focus himself before breathing in deeply before speaking up.

“What I am trying to say is that I am Sehun and I am under an apprenticeship with the healer of my pack. I could take a look and try and see if I could help, although I am a little inexperienced since I only have been aiding him for about six months. ”

Although Sehun was an adult for two years, his assigned position in the rank had only been given to him a few months ago, mainly because every wolf had to rotate professions after coming out of age to see which one was the most appropriate for said wolf.

“Then, you should take a look; give an opinion as a…semi-professional.” Replied the bronze skinned male, good naturedly.

“No!” came the immediate reply of blonde male on the floor.

“Baekhyun now is really not the time for you to be distrusting or picky; you’re bleeding like a woman on her lunar cycle and he isn’t going to harm you.”

“How can you be certain Jongin?” asked Chanyeol.

“I know.” Replied Jongin, his voice like midnight, strange and powerful at the same time; not at all like the sweet tone that Sehun had heard up so far.

And the answer, those two simple words, had a clear impact on the other two wolves since they immediately stopped their protests and bowed their head to male in obedience.

Sehun approached the fallen wolf cautiously, feeling an immense pressure as the blonde looked at him with suspicion despite the words of the wolf named Jongin. Sehun kneeled in front of the small male, smaller than him that was, and with careful hands begun to inspect the flank of the other male.

Jongin and Chanyeol observed as the pup in front of them went from a shuddering, nervous mess, to a focused and meticulous pseudo healer.

“He’s good.” mumbled Jongin “He will be a great healer once he finished his apprenticeship.”

“Can we really trust him, Jongin?”

“We can. He is very innocent; he doesn’t have any malicious intent towards anyone. If anything he looks a little gullible, certainly an air head but not a bad person.”

Chanyeol looked at the man beside him, his eyes showing signs of complete trust of the other’s judgment, before nodding, his eyes turning back to his fallen comrade.

Sehun inspected the wound on the white wolf’s flank. It was deep, nearly catching the muscle, and the jagged edges of the wound shown the brutality of the attack. What did concern him was the slightly green pus that was forming around the edges of the wound. Sehun had learned about the Wendigo’s in class, his former teacher, Miss Joohyun, a formidable and gorgeous beta wolf, had taught them about it when Sehun was a teeny, tiny wolf who chewed at Junmyeon’s robes when the omega lulled them to sleep with his voice, telling tale upon tale and singing softly, but he only had begun to know more about the danger they presented, whether with the help of Luhan or with the help of Jongdae who let him borrow scrolls and books with the information he needed and, never once, he had read about green pus on wounds made by an Wendigo.

“When were you bitten?” he asked the male looking to his know dark brown eyes, a frown in his face.

“He was bitten almost two days ago.” Replied Jongin, looking concerned for his friend.

“Why does the wound infected? It wasn’t supposed to! Wendigo’s saliva is dotted with antibacterial agents to prevent Wendigos from dying from infected meat they ingest. Your wound shouldn’t be like this. I’ve never seen anything like this.”

Jongin approached Sehun, Chanyeol right behind him and dropped on one knee, inspecting the wound with Sehun.

“You are saying that it’s not normal, is that correct?”

“Yes, it’s not supposed to happen. Not with Wendigo bites. I am unsure as what to do, since I have never seen such thing in my life.”

“What about the origins of the pus? Does green pus mean anything to you?” asked Jongin while Baekhyun, now laying on the ground, eyes still poised on Sehun’s form, almost daring the younger to make any kind of move on him.

“Well, green pus normally means an advanced state of infection but it doesn’t make sense, for once I already mentioned the antibacterial thing, the other is that it should be this advanced. Do you have experienced any kind of fever? Dizziness? Sleepiness? Some relevant symptom you find weird?”

“Baekhyun had been having a little fever since yesterday afternoon; he also couldn’t keep what he eats in his stomach.” Replied Chanyeol; his grave voice being heard without any problem.

“I think he commented yesterday that he also had a head ache.” Completed Jongin.

Sehun took another glimpse at the wound and noticed something strange that he hadn’t previously seen.

“What is that?” he pointed at the wound before looking at the blonde male and asking for permission to touch “May I?”

The blonde male gave in a slow nod; Sehun assumed that the pain was beginning to have a debilitating action on the wolf since he had now stopped being on high alert, being only mildly focused on what he was doing. With careful hands Sehun touched the wound, drawing a little green pus out of it along with something white, wincing a little at the grimace of pain on the other’s face.

Inspecting the material on his hand, mildly ignoring the two curious faces above his shoulders, Sehun noticed that he was holding part a tooth of a Wendigo. Normally, in his knowledge, Wendigo’s teeth were pretty much rock solid but he could see that the tooth was hollow, a hole on the center of the part that connected the sharp edge to its gum.

“Is that a tooth?” asked Jongin.

“It’s a hollowed tooth!”

“Does that mean something?”

“I heard Jongdae talking about something like this last week when he was researching something with one of our alphas, Minseok, who came back from a mission four or five days ago. But it was only bits and pieces. I have to directly asking him and then talk to Luhan, our main healer, in order to come up from some medicine to help your friend.”

In his haste, Sehun stood up, his discoveries motivating him to come back but a hand locking in his wrist stopped him. He looked back to see Chanyeol holding onto his wrist while Jongin held a fast deteriorating Baekhyun, whose half hooded eyes stared at him. He looked over at Chanyeol, his eyes darting to Jongin when the taller male said nothing, frowning in confusion.

“I know that you’re confused but, please, understand that while we do appreciate your help, we are very much afraid that you’ll say too much to your friends.” Answered Chanyeol finally with a sigh.

“What do you mean?”

“What I mean is that we are rogue wolves for a reason and I would like that thing remained in absolute sigil. Our survival depends on it.”

“But how am I supposed to help then?”

“Sehun,” called Jongin making the male look at him. “we do really appreciate your help and we do want you to help us, we trust you despite our hostile looks but you must understand that we are trying to survive and that could only happen if people know nothing about us staying in here. Ask your friends but please be discrete and do your best to not say anything about us.”

“That way will be hard… and I at lying.”

“Do your best.” Repeated Jongin with a smile. “I know you can help us and Baekhyun.”

Sehun looked at the bronze skinned male, feeling, just by looking at the other’s eyes that there was a huge amount of trust being deposit into him, so he nodded firmly, before transforming into a wolf and running towards his village, the mission he had being just assigned too important for him to waste time.

As the russet wolf disappeared from sight Baekhyun’s eyes found Jongin’s.

“Why do you trust this boy?” he asked, his deep, slightly nasally voice being heard for the first time since Sehun appeared. “You know nothing of him, he could very well be the cause of our death if he goes and spills about us to his pack.”

“No. He is crucial to everything that will happen from this point forward.” Replied Jongin; his eyes flashed a very light green color before he smiled at his friends. “After all I’ve seen it.”




A/N: Fresh new story and a fresh new set of ideias. As I said, I am back to my origins: SeBaek and I am kind of nervous since it is a AU! that has been requested of me a lot of times. I am really, really nervous! Let us see how it goes I guess. I hope I won't disappoint much and I really hope everyone likes it. Another journey begins and here it is the first chapter. 
I know it's still the first chapter but leave a comment with your opinion and, hey, maybe subscribe and upvote the stories. Go check out my other ones, I have got plenty :3
As usual, and always more important, be safe, be healthy, love a lot and demand as much love as you give! BE HAPPY!
Lots of love to all of you and have an amazing day!
<3