Invaded

The Berserker

 

There was an uprising sense of nervousness in the air. The situation was far too grave for anyone to take it lightly, and Jongdae was seriously pondering over the fact that, potentially, opening the door would mean that someone was going to get very hurt.

“Calm down, Jongdae.” Whispered Yixing into the younger beta’s ear, sensing how anxious Jongdae was. “If Sehun opens the door and they see you like this, they are immediately going to be suspicious of something.”

“I am trying.” Hissed the male, distressed over the fact that Yixing had pointed his nervousness out. “However, that is a little too difficult at the moment. The last time I actively spoke to any people of the Council other than the customary greetings, Sehun was being flogged publicly because of a lie. So excuse me if I am having a little trouble in pretending.”

“If you don’t reign yourself in, it’s not just Sehun who’s going to get hurt.” Pointed Yixing out with a serious expression on his face.

“Stop it you two.” Grumbled Sehun. “I’m going to open the door.”

Both males got quiet, pretending to be cooking a meal, when Sehun opened the door, effectively seeing some members of the Council looking up at him.

“Hello, Sehun.” Purred a tall blond male with a sinister smile on his lips.

Sehun was barely able to avoid a shiver of fear from coursing through his body when his mind recognized the male: Hyunseung. The last time Sehun saw the male, he was being, as Jongdae courteously put it, flogged publicly.

“How is your back?” asked the other male with a small smirk at the edge of his lips that made Jongdae turn his head to him, eyes incensed and furious.

Sehun also felt a spark of anger crawl up his spine, replacing the fear he previously felt. Why? Because he knew Hyunseung was trying to rile him up, blatantly provoking him by using a sensitive subject. Hyunseung knew very well that Sehun would still be tender after the attack and the brutality that he was subjected to; he was bound to develop some kind of reaction after seeing the man who had beaten him up. Unfortunately for Hyunseung, despite being scared out of his mind, despite the anxiousness that he was feeling, Sehun knew how to hold his ground and just portray himself like the calmest, happiest person on Earth.

“My back is doing perfectly fine. Luhan said that it's recovering very well, and that I am almost back to full health, no repercussions. You know I always have been the one to recover fast; I’m a very strong beta, as you are aware.”

As much as Sehun was a calm person, who didn’t raise any kind of problems to anyone and avoided confrontations, he was also the kind of person who didn’t simply let someone walk all over him and let it be; no, none of that. Sehun could and would fight back. However, Sehun was an intelligent fighter and he knew how to fight each of his battles; he knew fully well that he didn’t stand a chance against Hyunseung physically, because the alpha, all alphas in general, were built up with enough mass muscle to kill a bear with their bare hands and closed eyes. Knowing that in a hand to hand combat he would lose, he chose to use his brain instead to fight the other male: Hyunseung was provocative but Sehun was cunning.

Defeating the alpha in front of him meant that he shouldn’t fall into the mind games the other was trying to play with him. Sehun was doing that by treating the other indifferently, as if nothing ever had transpired between the two of them. He knew that it was having some kind of effect when Hyunseung’s eyes narrowed in distaste, looking over at the beta as if he was infinitely inferior than himself.

“I can always take care of that.” Replied the alpha, clearly threating Sehun in a dissimulated manner.

“You could…” drawled Sehun. “but you need orders from your superiors to do that. After all, we know that ranks exist even inside the Council. That is why there are people like Sooyoun, who relay orders, and there are people who are meant to follow them through.”

The alpha’s eyes looked like burning embers as he stared down at Sehun, anger written all over his face, completely furious at the jab that the beta sent his way. And while he didn’t like it, it didn’t mean it wasn’t true, because it was, and Hyunseung knew that.

“What are you trying to say?”

“”Nothing. Absolutely nothing.” Replied the beta with a small, belittling smile that conveyed all the disdain he had for the male.

Seeing how angered the male was, the person beside him, that Sehun recognizes as Youngwoon, move forward, effectively stopping Hyunseung to move in Sehun’s direction as Yixing too abandoned the kitchen area to flank the tall male.

“We are not here to involve ourselves in petty little arguments. We are here for other matters which are far more important than your disagreements could be.” Stated the man in a strong voice that left no room for discussion.

Hyunseung looked over at the older alpha and gritted his teeth before moving out of his way, not wanting to anger the older, who could easily snap his neck if he wanted to; Yongwoon was like a bear: solid as a rock and as strong as a bull.

Sehun sent a little smirk in the male’s direction, making the alpha growl in his direction before Youngwoon shot him an icy glance that made him shut up.

“We are here, in the name of the Council, searching for the omega wolf known as Do Kyungsoo. He is to be heard by the Council in a trial, for the crimes of inappropriate conduct, performing ual acts with members of this community and for disregarding the role he performs in this pack as Head Priest.”

“What?” asked Sehun pretending to be shocked before letting a laugh pass his lips, showing is fake disbelief at what was being said. “Only humans celebrated that thing with the lies, not us Youngwoon.”

“I am perfectly aware of that Sehun. However, we are not joking on this matter; it’s imperative that you give us the location of Do Kyungsoo so that he can be properly dealt with, that is if you are not already hiding him inside this hut.”

“What is going on?” asked Jongdae, going along with the charade begun by Sehun and pretending to be very confused while cleaning his hands with a piece of cloth.

“Youngwoon is accusing Soo of, and I quote, performing ual acts, with people and not doing his job as priest.” Repeated Sehun with a sardonic smile planted on his lips.

“That is the most blasphemous thing to say.” Cried Jongdae. “That’s preposterous. Are you pulling a prank on us? Because it’s absolutely not funny and Kyungsoo is a friend of ours.”

“I am afraid that this is no matter for a joke.” Replied the alpha at the door in a dry voice, laced with a tad of impatience. “These accusations have been made against Do Kyungsoo and the Council will hear him out on a trial that will decide his future and, being proved that the accusations are correct, punished accordingly.”

“That’s a lie.” Declared Jongdae with a serious air about him. “Kyungsoo would never do something like that: he is a good man, a man devoted to our great deity and an honest person at that. He wouldn’t act like that. Ever!”´

“Whatever floats your boat, Jongdae.” Interjected Hyunseung. “What matters is not your opinion or whatever ideas you might have about this whole thing. The Council matters in this case as it is the judge of this pack.”

“Where have you heard these things from?” asked Sehun. “They are truly some horrible accusations that were made.”

“A source of the Council revealed this information to us.”

“What source?” exploded Jongdae. “Do they even know what the heck they are saying? That’s plain stupid; your source is mistaken.”

“Jongdae, I don’t care about your opinion.” Cut Youngwoon, face hardening and becoming visibly fed up with the situation.

“I have to agree with them.” Spoke up Yixing for the first time ever. “That is a very serious accusation to be made. I’ve met Kyungsoo and he is someone righteous: it’s visible. I also understand his friends disbelief and I, myself, I am incredibly shocked that someone was capable of doing such horrid statements against someone.”

“Your opinion doesn’t matter either.” Spat Hyunseung haughtily. “You are a rogue that only is alive because the Council of my pack has given you permission to stay.”

“Permission from the Council?” asked Baekhyun’s brother with a polite voice, although it was palpable, the frigid tone in which he had uttered those. “Because my memory is quite good and I can assure you that it was the Guardians, not the Council, who has given me permission to be within your territory, protected and safe. I even remember that your Council wanted me out of here, for reasons that they weren’t able to give me or explain.”

“Are you insinuating something?” asked Hyunseung aggressively.

“No, not really.” Replied Yixing, shrugging his shoulders. “I am merely stating the truth; I don’t insinuate anything.”

The reply given had clearly been the trigger for Hyunseung because as soon as Yixing finished speaking, the male launched himself forward, trying to hit the alpha. He would’ve succeeded if not for the fact that Youngwoon shot his arm forward, effectively stopping him, murmuring something to the other male that sounded suspiciously like orders to calm himself down.

“Look,” began Youngwoon, frustrated and annoyed. “despite your opinions on the subject, we must do as we are told and search for the said man and let him go to trial. We should let people who are in charge deal with this matter…”

“No, we shouldn’t!” interjected Jongdae suddenly.

As soon as Jongdae had spoken the words Sehun knew that, at the moment, his friend was suffering from the ‘no-filter’ disease and that it could be, potentially, very bad for them.

“We shouldn’t let the Council decide anything on that matter; not because they aren’t capable but because they do it in a corrupt way that benefits only those who they deem valuable to them, the rest of us can screw ourselves ten times over because the Council doesn’t give a damn as long as we do our work for them. They claim to be an instrument of justice yet they know absolutely nothing of it or what it represents; it’s just a mere word in a book that they only remember when it’s convenient. You are as much as a Council member as they are and yet, just now, in our small conversations, never once you include yourself as an active participant... where is the sense of justice here? You’re just lackeys who do their dirty work while they watch from the sidelines sipping on whine and just ordering you around.”

Sehun knew that the words had come from deep within Jongdae’s soul, who rarely spoke his mind so openly and directly like this; he knew that his fellow beta must’ve been truly tired of the oppression that they were submitted to, and he was certainly still angered over the treatment that had been subject due to a lie, but those words had been, as he predicted, the worst thing said in the worst moment of time, all because as quickly as the words left his mouth, both Council alphas at the door turned to him with a predatory and irate look on their face and they both jumped in his direction, no doubt to try and beat him up for the words.

Yixing surged forward, intending to stop both alphas from touching Jongdae but, to his surprise, both alphas just barreled through them and searched the entire hut, searching for Kyungsoo: under the beds, in cupboards, his pantry and every nook and cranny inside that could hide a body.

Jongdae stared at them with repressed hate as they moved and invaded his privacy. However, despite the feeling he had, Jongdae couldn’t say anything, not after the look that Sehun sent him, begging him to let them do their thing.

The beta was revolted at the whole thing but he couldn’t stop them from snooping; snooping meant that they would search there in vain for Kyungsoo, allowing the said male to escape, that it would partially clean their names, since once that it was known that Kyungsoo was nowhere in that village, they would be the first suspects of holding information down, and it would avoid creating more problems with the Council.

After a solid few minutes, both alphas came down with nothing, no indication of Kyungsoo’s whereabouts and not a scent trace that the male had been there, which Jongdae had much to thank to the medicine that Sehun was taking and the creams he was spreading on his back which dissolve any other smell.

“He’s not here.” They hear Hyunseung mumble to Youngwoon, trying to get some answers about what to do and how to move next.

“Clearly.” Replied the other male irritated.

Yixing, who was standing right next to Jongdae, let his hand, hidden by Jongdae’s back from the others view, hold a part of Jongdae’s hip, squeezing it in comfort and relief.

“There is no evidence of Do Kyungsoo’s presence inside the perimeters just searched.” Declared Youngwoon in a loud voice, turning to them. “The Council will move their searches into another area. Despite the fact that Do Kyungsoo’s presence isn’t in the area, the Council warns the following people: Zhang Yixing, Oh Sehun and Kim Jongdae, to relay any information that they know about the subject’s whereabouts to the Council, at any given time, so that the subject can be properly judged for his crimes, if the accusations are proven true. The member of the Council Kim Youngwoon declares the previously mentioned people void of reliable and valuable information for the search at the present time, thereby making them free of the crime of conspiring with a potentially dangerous and sinful pack member.”

Sehun felt Jongdae sighing almost inaudibly next to him, probably thankful that both alphas had seen no trace of Kyungsoo in there and that they had no further questions to them, which only meant that they had been credible enough in their disbelief and confusion.

“You shouldn’t clear them off yet, Youngwoon. These are Do’s best friends, they are bound to know something about him; anything. We should carry them to the Council headquarters and interrogate them; if they don’t speak, we will make them.” Stated Hyunseung to the other alpha, sending a bloodthirsty look at them with his last sentence.

 Jongdae had no doubt that the man would like to use violence as a method to extract information from them, what he doubted was that the said interrogation would be about Kyungsoo: it would only be because he didn’t like them.

“You heard them as well as I did; they know nothing! They were as shocked as everyone else was when they heard the truth, except maybe Seungwan but that girl is insane, everyone knows she is a lunatic.” Replied the other male calmly.

“Are you sure? They have to know something! Do Kyungsoo would never do anything without the support or the advice of the beta duo over there.”

The words could be offensive; the derogatory and jocose tone that Hyunseung was using was a dead giveaway, however it was also very true so Jongdae managed to smirk lightly at the words, not needing to look to the side to see Sehun doing the same.

“They know nothing, Hyunseung!” growled Youngwoon, growing impatient of the constant questioning on the other alpha’s part, sending him a warning glance.

“But…”

“Enough!” roared the older alpha. “I have been an alpha and a member of the Council for much longer than you have; learn to respect those older and more experienced than you and remember your place. I’ve told you: they know nothing! It’s obvious from their initial reaction but I guess that someone who uses his brain so sparsely as you do, cannot comprehend that.”

The comment gave Jongdae an urge to laugh, especially at seeing the murderous face that both males had, directing it at each other. Ultimately, Hyunseung had to look away: Youngwoon was indeed an older alpha and an older Council member and the younger had to obey him and respect him, which meant that he had to shut up.

While both alphas were an impeccable duo when it came to hunting someone or something down and tearing it apart, it would seem that their consonance only went so far and ranks drew the line apparently.

Youngwoon looked over at them when Hyunseung submitted to his order and shut himself up.

“Despite being in the clear, remember that you should, for your own sake, speak up if you know anything from Do. If I know that you were withholding information, I can promise you that you’ll wish death upon yourselves when I, personally, punish you.”

Without any further words or even a goodbye, not that it would be appreciated or wanted, Youngwoon left the house, pulling, albeit not physically, Hyunseung with him, knowing fully well that the younger alpha would cause problems if he would be left alone with Sehun or Jongdae: the man was a sadist and both betas were perfect for him to let out his frustrations upon.

To tell the truth, he wasn’t a big fan of the betas either, although he recognized that their intelligence was one of a kind and a trait that he appreciated; however, they both were goody two shoes, with a lack of ambition that annoyed him. He could allow Hyunseung to take his frustrations on the duo, the man seemed eager enough for it, but that would mean that they would have beaten someone down without a proper reason and that would cause problems, especially since anyone could come and watch the whole thing. Therefore, he opted to do the job he came for in the first place and leave. After all, he had a Do Kyungsoo to catch.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jongdae let a breath out of his lungs as soon as Youngwoon and Hyunseung got out of his hut and out of hearing shot, no doubt knocking on other doors questioning people and searching through places in order to find Kyungsoo, who he hoped was far away from the village, completely safe.

He also thanked all deities above for how easy it was to deceive Youngwoon and led him to believe that they knew nothing about Kyungsoo; Hyunseung was another story but he had to obey Youngwoon. For a moment, Jongdae had feared that the older alpha would listen to the younger and actually interrogate them in the Council headquarters: that would change their plan entirely and jeopardize Kyungsoo's security.

“Is everyone okay?” asked Yixing as soon as the two alphas were gone from inside the hut.

“Yes, except I feel like my privacy was violated.” Whispered Jongdae as Sehun nodded to the older man, indicating that he was okay.

“What?” asked Yixing, confused as to what Jongdae was referring himself to.

“I mean, they just searched throughout my whole house, leaving no nook or cranny…It’s just unsettling and I don’t like it. It makes me feel as if I was exposed and it’s only worse that it was to them.”

Sehun nodded, understanding what Jongdae was trying to say: he would also feel violated if his house was snooped upon like Jongdae’s. Thinking about it, he was positive that his house had already been investigated but he had been over Jongdae’s for so long that he doubted that they would find anything else other than the dust accumulating itself on the innumerous shelves. He almost winced when he thought about it, knowing that he should clean it when he had the chance.

He voiced out to the others that both men were probably searching houses, looking for any information or leads to Kyungsoo. Yixing and Jongdae agreed that his house was, most likely, already had been visited.

“That means that Minseok’s hut is going to be visited, as well as Kyungsoo’s room at the temple.” Remembered Jongdae with an almost frightened look on his face. “Do you think they are going to be able to find something incriminatory against them at their places?” 

“I don’t think so.” Replied Yixing. “They were together when Minseok came back from the mission and aside from a few hours together; I don’t think there is something against them there.”

“Well, what about Kyungsoo’s? While Kyungsoo never really was able to show any kind of affection for Minseok, Minseok was never that subtle, he showed his affection very openly.”

“No one will find anything about Minseok in Kyungsoo’s room.”

Everyone turned to the door, startled at the new voice that echoed inside the room. Seungwan stood at the door, her wet, red hair, falling down on her back like a cloak and her dress gluing itself onto her body, due to the rain that was harshly falling outside, without any pity on those who wandered outside, if there were that many fools walking in this kind of weather.

“Seungwan? What?” asked Jongdae with incredulity.

The girl didn’t pay any attention to Jongdae’s question, entering the hut once more and grabbing one towel from a nearby chair, using it to dry her hair a little, not bothering with her dress which was dripping steadily onto the floor.

“I meant exactly what I said.” Replied Seungwan calmly. “They will not find anything on Kyungsoo in his room.”

“How on Earth would you know that?” asked Yixing.

“And how could you be so sure?” questioned Jongdae in complete disbelief.

“Any trace of Minseok and Kyungsoo’s relationship was destroyed. No one would ever find anything about their relationship. No physical evidence will be found and everything the Council will ever possess is some anonymous person's testimony and their untrusty members to judge him. That is if they ever find him.”

“How do you know that?” asked Yixing shocked beyond belief.

“I trust that Kyungsoo and Minseok are safe and sound in an appropriate and unreachable place.” She continued, not answering Yixing’s question.

“I suppose they are, since there isn’t any news of them being caught.” Replied Sehun without bothering to make unnecessary questions, understanding that Seungwan was not going to answer them.

“Good. That means our friends did their work properly and that they are watching and protecting Minseok and Kyungsoo at the moment.”

“How …?”

“That is not important at the moment.” Interjected Sehun, stopping Yixing from making further questions. “Are you positive that there is not a trace or even evidence of their relationship in Kyungsoo’s abode?”

“I am sure.” Replied Seungwan nodding gravely into Sehun’s direction. “After I warned them that the Council was after them, I went directly to both of their places and searched myself for any clues that could prove that they were having an affair, and destroyed them myself. That included masking both their smells in each other’s places and burning Kyungsoo’s robes and Minseok’s letters; all proof was destroyed.”

“How do you know about these things? How could you have that much knowledge about everything that is happening before anyone else?” asked Jongdae, a little distressed, a little fearful and a little amazed.

“Somethings are better to be revealed in time, Jongdae.” Replied Seungwan calmly.

“And why is that?” asked Yixing, coming to stand next to Jongdae.

“In my understanding, you have a lot of problems and a lot of things to worry about at the moment, without needing more fuel to the already lit and raging fire. Especially when it’s not important! In due time, things will fall into place and you’ll understand but first, there are much more serious things to solve; things that I, myself, don’t have an answer to, things to which the only things that I have are a couple of unassembled pieces."

“How can we know that you are reliable then?” enquired Yixing. “You always seem to know everything about anything that is happening and that will happen. It’s unsettling and the secrets you are hiding, which you just admitted that you do have, only make it so much more difficult. Do you have an ulterior motive to all of this? Are you just playing us for some reason?”

“I am not playing with you or using you. I cannot control nor can I explain to you how I know the things I know…”

“Are you an Oracle?” asked Jongdae suddenly.

The question made some sense, if Sehun let himself think about it, it would explain Seungwan’s quirky and mysterious ways along with her enormous knowledge. He peered at her, waiting for an answer,

“No, I am not an Oracle, Jongdae. I know that I am similar to one but I am not one. You had the chance to know Jongin, so you’ll see the differences between us if you think about it a little.”

“But you are something.” Pointed out Sehun, looking over at the woman in front of them with a knowing look.

“I am what I am and, as I said, everything will be explained at the proper time and not one moment before.” She replied, confirming, in a way, that she was no ordinary wolf. “As for the trust, if I was to harm you in any shape, kind or form, I would’ve done it already; I had the resources to do it and it would be that easier with all of the commotion surrounding you at the moment. Yet, I didn’t do anything. However, I do suggest that you be more careful with whom you associate yourselves with: I have good intentions and my aim is to help you solve this, achieve peace and rip the mask out of the Council members, but some people might not be as helpful as I am trying to be.”

She threw them a meaningful glance before her eyes shifted a little and lost some of their focus, if only for a fraction of second, before focusing again.

“I need to go somewhere.” She announced suddenly, putting the towel on top of the table and reaching for the door knob again.

“Where are you going?” asked Jongdae thoroughly confused at the change of behavior on her part.

“I remembered that there is something that I need to do. I have to go.” Replied Seungwan moving to leave the hut, despite being there only for a short amount of time.

She was about to leave when Jongdae stopped her, ing a hooded and warm robe in her way and showing her, without verbalizing it,  and despite her confusing behavior and the mystery permanently hovering around her, that he trusted her implicitly. He could’ve opted not to, or even be doubtful like Yixing, but Jongdae and Sehun knew Seungwan since they were children, and she had proven to be nothing more than their friend, even at the worst of times; the only thing he could do was give her the benefit of the doubt and continue to be on her side for the time being.

She nodded in their direction, putting on the robe and opening the door. She looked outside at the horrible storm that was still going on strongly, before raising her hood up, protecting her head against the rain.

“Seungwan.” Called Sehun, making the woman turn around to regard him, light eyes studying him carefully. “Be careful and be safe.”

The words proffered by Sehun were soft and gentle, a lilt of worry about the woman managing to be heard in the plea as well.

“I will.” She replied with a nod. “You too, be careful and stay together.”

With a swirl of the cloak and red hair, Seungwan was gone, leaving them in silence mulling over her words.

“What now?” asked Yixing, looking at them.

Both males shot him a somber look, Jongdae moved to the kitchen area again while Sehun answered in an eerie voice.

“Now, we wait.”

 

 

 

A/N: Another chapter! Am I being pretty regular and I have to say I am surprised by myself! Who would've known? Jokes aside, I have been trying to organize my writing times and establishing objectives in order to be able to do it and balance it with work time and swimming practice. Also, it helps to be a couple of chapters ahead, although I only update when I finish a chapter.
This chapter we see how the Council deals with things: violence and manipulation. However the three of them were able to hold their ground and defend themselves and the running couple. Also, more about Seungwan in this chapter: she's not an Oracle soooo what is she? Dun Dun Duuuuuun! The great mystery (or one of those at least!). Do you want to try and guess what's with her? Please leave a comment or message me about it, about Seungwan's role and about your opinion on this chapter! Upvote and subscribe if you really enjoy it!
I would also like to express my gratitude to the AWESOME -lubehan for beta-ing the story for me and for dealing with the pain that are the files that I sent her way! THANK YOU AND LOVE YOUUUU!
As always, and very important, please be healthy and safe, love yourself, love others and allow them to love you as well, and be always VERY HAPPY!
Have an amazing week, with the best of things happening to you and little amount of stress.
Lots of love,
<3 <3 <3