Run

The Berserker

Blackness. Everything was pitch black when Jongin’s senses returned to himself: his mind was like a dark tunnel, his eyes only saw the back of his eyelids and even the sounds came out as dark and twisted as if he had been in the bottom of a well.

It took him a while to understand that he knew the voices, that they were familiar and the smallest hint of panic that he previously felt, as soon as his senses were awake, vanished.

“His pulse is stable, he is breathing perfectly fine Chanyeol, as I told you several times.” He heard a soft voice speaking in a very gentle and even tone.

“But there could have been a change…”

“If you ask him one more time, I will punch you in the face Chanyeol, I swear to the Godess.” Came an irritated voice that he could not identify. “Sehun knows what he is doing, stop questioning him.”

“I’m sorry, I am sorry! It’s just that this is my brother here.” He heard Chanyeol’s deep voice stating to anyone who could hear him.

“I assure you that I am competent enough and that Jongin is fine. He just lost consciousness for some reason which, given his condition, isn't really a surprise. He did say that, sometimes, these symptoms are usual for him. I can only assume that this was another one of his usual visions.”

“Never to the point where he out for six hours straight.” He heard Baekhyun say in his usual calm voice.

“When he wakes up he can explain, better than anyone, what happened and afterwards we can conjure a hypothesis to explain what happened. I know nothing about Oracles but I understand medicine.”

Jongin let himself hear the conversation for a while before he tried to open his eyes, which took him quite a while: his eyelids were heavy and it took a giant effort from his tired form to open them.

Yixing was the first one to notice how his eyes had opened; pale green orbs flashing at him for a moment.

“He’s awake.” He told them lightly, trying not to raise any alarm and assure everyone that the younger male was alright.

Jongin flinched slightly when every head to him, but his face turned into a glare as Chanyeol approached with too much eagerness; the taller man didn’t really understand that he possessed far too much strength and he could easily crush him and Jongin wasn’t really up to try and tempt fate. It seemed to have the desired effect as Chanyeol halted in his steps, looking over at him worriedly.

“How are you feeling?” he heard Baekhyun ask.

He turned to look at his older brother’s calm form and a smile almost rose on his lips at the sight of the male. Baekhyun looked calm and very collected, however, Jongin could see a hint of worry in his eyes that Baekhyun was trying hard to fight.

The action might’ve seen odd for some people, bizarre and even offensive but Jongin knew that Baekhyun was trying to stay calm in order to keep the others calm: everyone saw him as the most collected person in that house, at the moment, if he lost it, it would raise some panic.

“To be honest?” replied Jongin, taking a hand to his temple and massaging the spot to try and get rid of the residue of a headache, if it was the same one as before, he wasn’t sure; it sure felt as if he had multiple headaches in a second. “I felt like a wild boar ran me over thrice and made me fall off of a cliff.”

He heard a chuckle at the colorful description and Jongin turned his head to Sehun who handed him a small cup filled with some kind of brewed liquid that smelled quite nice.

“Then drink this infusion. I assume that you might feel nauseous and a bit light headed, this is a chamomile and mint infusion and it will help you with both.”

Jongin accepted the cup and took a sip of the concoction, feeling slightly relieved that the fresh and minty taste actually helped the nausea.

“Thank you. What happened?”

“Nothing major.” Replied Jongdae this time, coming to stand next to Chanyeol, a small hand resting on the taller man’s bicep, looking serene and content; Jongin didn’t really know if he was truly assured that nothing bad was going on, or Chanyeol’s presence was calming for him. “You grabbed your head, retched a little, I don’t know if you were actually aware you did that, you screamed and then you just out and tilted from your chair.”

“You almost hit the floor but Jongdae, fortunately, caught you before you actually did.” Supplied Chanyeol, glancing to his left, to his paramour, a gentle smile playing on his lips, looking completely enamored.

“Thank you, Jongdae.”

Jongdae, for his part, winked to the younger male, silently assuring him that everything was okay and that he shouldn’t really worry himself.

“Then,” proceeded Yixing, continuing the task of providing Jongin information about what happened. “we put you on Jongdae’s bed, and Sehun checked up on you. He said that your vital signs were okay and that there was nothing wrong with you, that you had passed out and, given that he had already seen you when you had a vision, he associated your actions to it and assumed you had had one.”

“Chanyeol nearly had an anxiety attack. He was really thinking you were really sick and I seriously wonder how Sehun had the peace of spirit and mind to treat you at the same time he dealt with Chanyeol’s nagging.” Joked Jongdae, trying to lighten up the mood in the room.

“He really was.” Replied Sehun somberly, throwing a haggard glance in the other’s direction.

“Was it a vision Jongin?” asked Baekhyun directly, not bothering to use the subtleties the others were using.

“It was.” Nodded Jongin, immediately gaining a sigh of relief from both his brothers who were happy to know that it wasn’t some disease.

“Anything serious?” enquired Chanyeol. “What did you see?”

Everyone was kind of astounded how Jongin, who was extremely level-headed and even blasé about a lot of things, blushing to the point that his bronzed cheeks turned read like a berry.

Baekhyun was extremely thrown back by the reaction and Sehun found it amusing that the male looked so lost, turning to look over at him, silently asking him from guidance.

Chanyeol looked more ready to bulldoze and turn full inquisitor on Jongin, ripping the truth out of him no matter what, but the stare that Jongdae was giving him was keeping him from opening his mouth, which Sehun found even more amusing; it would seem that his best friend had the taller wolf on a tight leash.

It surprised the heck out of him when Jongin, out of the blue, asked Sehun if he could speak with him privately, request that Sehun acquiesced, begging Jongdae to lead the others to another part of the house, using only his eyes, knowing that Jongdae would understand since they had the art of silent communication perfected since they were children.

As soon as they were far enough, which wasn’t that much further but enough to make it seem somewhat more private. Sehun took the opportunity to sit next to Jongin on the chair to talk more comfortably with the male.

“What is it that you want to talk with me about?”

Jongin seemed a little hesitant to speak about whatever it was that was bothering him, and Sehun found it a little suspicious, he just wasn’t sure if it was for the right or wrong reason.

“Jongin?” he called, trying to prod the other man into saying something.

“I don’t really know how to approach this subject; it is kind of hard for me. I had never had a vision with this type of content therefore I don’t really know how to explain it.”

“Just tell me what you saw.” Advised the beta.

Jongin turned his head to the side slightly, and Sehun really started to worry about the whole matter, was it possible that this was something so bad that he didn’t want to tell? But then again, if it was something bad Jongin would be able to tell it pretty quickly, wouldn’t he? After all he had been predicting and seeing awful things for the majority of his life, and he had relayed one of his brutal visions to Jongdae and himself so easily, so why would now be different?

“Did you see anything bad?” he asked at last when the worry overpowered everything else.

“No,” replied the other male looking a little startled. “it wasn’t anything bad… it’s just a little embarrassing.”

“How so?” asked Sehun again, trying to get more information out of Jongin, since he was becoming more and more confused at this strange, and rather lonely since Jongin wasn’t answering that much.

“I had a vision about someone…”

“Who? Come on, Jongin. You have got to give me more answers than the ones you are providing at the moment or else I won’t be able to help you.”

“That’s it; that’s exactly my problem: I don’t know who I had a vision about. I remember everything I saw but it was just a flurry of hands and mouths and tongues…”

“Wait what?”

Sehun was not sure if he heard correctly when the words tumbled out of Jongin’s mouth. Had he heard what he thought he heard? Jongin, bless him, looked like a ripe tomato, his face red as it could be. Sehun honestly had to hold himself together not to laugh: even though it would be out of relief, Jongin could interpret it in a bad way and he did not want to scare the man away, after all he had asked for his help.

“So you dreamed about someone.” He said slowly, watching attentively as Jongin nodded. “Okay! Was it male or female?”

“Male. It was definitely a male.”

“And, by the sound of your description just seconds ago…”

“Yeah, we were probably having or halfway there.” Mumbled the Oracle too embarrassed to look Sehun in the face.

“Was it you and another person?” asked Sehun a little shocked, not imagining this to be the outcome of the whole situation.

“Yes, it was and I am freaking out over this.” Confessed the other male, finally looking Sehun in the eye and sounding so defeated, that the younger male reached over to pat him on the shoulder. “I don’t know what to think of this because, heavens, the way it made me feel… I never felt like this before: I felt such a burning desire, such heat and seeing those images, replaying them in my mind…This is new for me, I know what this is, obviously; I recognize what I saw but the intensity of it…I was not prepared, However I want to find this man because I think he might be… it might be my mate.”

The revelation made Sehun stop and stare at the man intently: Jongin was clearly accepting his words as a universal truth; the word ‘might’ that he had just used was clearly just a ruse because the other wolf had already made his mind up about what he saw.

Sehun also saw how nervous and frustrated the other wolf was and, if he was not mistaken, there was also a little hint of want in the other’s eyes which didn’t really surprise Sehun: Jongin had been so massacred by people all of his life, labeled since he was a child and forced to go through the most horrible things so, having these kinds of wishes, a normal life with a loving partner, was something that Jongin craved even though he wasn’t really aware of it yet.

“If it was your mate, knowing that this was a vision and it has high chances of happening, what stresses you about the subject?” asked Sehun tentatively, this was a serious matter, at least for Jongin and for his well-being, and Sehun was going to treat it as such even if he, himself, had absolutely no experience whatsoever in this particular field.

“As you know, visions are a particularly fidgety thing that only shows you a possible outcome of the future. I knew that up until now, my position towards this: mating and such, is raw, for the lack of better word: I have absolutely no experience in these affairs because, let’s face it, but I spent the majority of my life running away from most people instead of simply talking to them and bothering to develop relationships of any kind. I was an outcast and it never bothered me much until now, until I see my brother, who is the most cynical person on this earth, Chanyeol, who doesn’t give two craps about the people who he hurts or not unless it’s family, is so smitten with Jongdae and, for Goodess sake, I know it’s mostly Biology talking but I feel so jealous of them. I envy them so much and all these negative feelings are somewhat consuming me, because I cannot feel totally happy for them because there is a part of me that resents them too much: why can they taste happiness? Why can’t I have what they have? And now this vision? It shows me a reality that I want: I want a mate and I want someone to love me without any restrains or fears because of my condition. However, visions are just a possibility, they are not certain, and I can’t help but to wonder if something is going to happen and this won’t happen? Because that is just so cruel, to show me a reality that I can’t have! I am resenting everyone and everything and at the moment, hating them just because I can, just because it gives me a concrete thing to be mad about when, in good reality, nothing justifies my anger because no one is to blame.”

Sehun could understand, now that Jongin had spoken his mind, the wolf’s predicament. There was no advice that he could give in this case, although he really wanted to have some reassuring words to say, to speak some words and give some hope to the other, but this all was a ramification of what it meant to be an Oracle, and Sehun didn’t really know what that felt like, he didn’t comprehend the hardships of being an Oracle; he couldn’t even begin to imagine and he had heard the tales by one, directly from his mouth, and from the people who had accompanied him throughout his life.

Jongin was, in his modest opinion, a walking time bomb. He didn’t mean it harshly; he truly believed that the man was well intent, incredibly smart and just a good person overall but he also believed that Jongin’s mind was truly a dark place, and somehow very twisted. Why? Because, somewhere along the years Jongin’s mind was infested with deep fears, insecurities and the misconception that Oracle wolves were the scum of the Earth, a lie that the person who he was conversing with, begun to believe as well. All of that, allied to the growing up experiences he had, awful ones, had created something unbalanced and possibly dangerous if handled wrongly.

For the first time, Sehun understood why Oracles were so dangerous; however, he also understood that that danger was not a preexisting and innate condition of this particular type of wolf, but rather a behavior conditioned by the cruelty of people.

It saddened him to no end to realize that Jongin believed he was never going to be happy, even if the other didn’t say it directly, and that happiness was not a thing that he was deserving enough to achieve. Happiness, even if in its smaller form, should not be denied to anyone; it should be one of the base rights of a person, as it was respect.

He thought about what piece of wisdom he could offer to Jongin, while staring into the other’s tempestuous eyes, and noting the more somber side of Jongin, the one he perfectly hid from everyone behind pleasant smiles and polite words.

“I wish I could have better words to offer you than the ones that occur to me at the moment,” began Sehun with a long sigh, using a hand to rub at his face. “but, while they are not my best ones, they are probably the most sincere ones. Things will never be okay in this world.”

The declaration had shocked Jongin and Sehun could see it in the man’s eyes as they widen and adopted a confused and startled glow at the unexpected sentence. Sehun paid him no mind and continued to speak.

“Humanity is a fickle thing, because balance itself is a very hard thing to achieve. I have known that, since the creation of this planet, the origin of everything, things have always been destroyed, people have been killed and humans were almost eradicated once. Why? Because people, or at least a part of this world’s population, will never be happy with what they have. People will always want more than they have; the more they have the more they want, and sometimes the meanings to an end become weapons of mass destruction. We are greedy and we are flawed and we are self-destructive It’s almost a universal law by now, and despite our ancestors mistakes, we cannot seem to learn a lesson and we keep repeating history in a never ending cycle. And that’s how I know that peace will never be a thing that can be fully achieved, not when people still are unable to distinguish between the concepts of freedom and justice. It’s easy to be lost in translation with these two and the two concepts are mutually exclusive, we cannot have full freedom while being completely just, and we never have complete justice without being totally free. The problem is that people held onto the freedom aspect of their existence, and forgot about other values, therefore creating a complete anarchic system within organized communities, which is rather ironic. In this world and this particular period of time in which you and I are a part of, we observe just that: people destroying each other, killing and asserting their titles and power above everyone else’s because their freedom doesn’t end when ours begins: they are intrusive ideas of freedom where they cannot be free while our definition of the word collides with theirs. All in all, we believe in different things and instead of being accepting and open minded we disdain it, because it goes against our beliefs and our opinions on the matter. Being and Oracle is just like this: it’s different, it’s weird because we just believe it is, we don’t want enlightenment we want eradication. To put it simple, it’s much like a child who is presented with a strange looking vegetable for the first time: it either eats it out of curiosity and the want of knowledge, or it will not eat it because it’s weird looking; and that’s what we are doing. And to dispel this kind of mentality takes a lot of time, and a combined effort of more than one person, so…yeah, it’s going to be brutal to be you, it’s going to be more of what you tasted so far: despair, misery, loss, pain… What can and will distinguish you from other people is how you act and what you opt to do when faced with this reality. Are you going to hide yourself in a cloud of darkness or are you going to fight for your rights and what you know is the truth? Given your past experience, I can understand where your frustrations are coming from: this emotional charge is overloading your systems, and it’s confusing and a pain really, but you cannot watch idly as better opportunities present themselves towards you. I know that you are afraid that things won’t happen, that you never get to experience what it is like to have a mate or a loving partner but you have done it so far without any kind of problem, and you’re still here! I am not saying that it’s not important or that it wouldn’t be amazing but it’s not exactly necessary: you can live without it. Why, you ask me? Because there are other people, who aren’t a mate, that can provide the affection and love you crave. It’s not the same but it’s something. Do you understand my point?”

Jongin didn’t answer him verbally; he looked over at Sehun and nodded a little sadly, understanding the other’s point, understanding what the other was trying to say but that didn’t stop him from feeling even more down; while it was an eye opening conversation, one that sort out a little more of his feelings and to make him feel assured that he wasn’t stupid or too greedy by feeling like that but, in all reality, Sehun just plainly said that there was a change, even if he wasn’t sure how big it was, that what he wanted, what he desired, may not happen ever.

The knowledge was both enlightening and sad at the same time; Jongin didn’t exactly lose his hope but it had been reduced by a lot. Sehun seemed to understand or notice his mood, his very somber mood, and he allowed a small smile, gentle and very genuine smile, cross his lips.

“I am not saying this to let you down or to make you sad, you know that, right Jongin? If anything, I wish you all the happiness in the world; I wish that you can regain a little sense of normalcy in your life, and enjoy the things you were supposed to enjoy all these years. I want you to be happy, I want you to enjoy a moment of peace, of love, of safety and acceptance but, as I told you, that is not something easy to achieve. This doesn’t mean you have to stop having faith, none of that: you need to keep your eyes and mind open, there are more people out there for you to choose, don’t feel obligated to look after someone and stick to it because you have a feeling that it could be your mate; feelings are not certainties. Don’t lose your mind over this Jongin, it’s not worth it at all, you faced things worse than this and it didn’t break your resolve, it shouldn’t start now over a man.”

“It’s a mate…” mumbled Jongin.

“A mate that you lived many years without!” chided Sehun. “You don’t need a mate to make you happy. People who are around you can make you happy, they can provide you that feeling. What mates do is offering you a tad more but, in the long run, if you really think about it, they don’t complete you: little things of your life pile up and complete you, the mate is that little bit extra that makes you more than you already are.”

“And it’s wrong to want it? To badly crave it?” asked Jongin “Because I do; it felt so amazingly good and better than anything I have experienced, even in real life. I felt so safe and so loved…”

“I understand and I understand you, I really do. Just… think about what I said: while it’s satisfactory and good, it’s not a mandatory item for your happiness and that is what I am trying to say: your happiness shouldn’t be decided on the fact that you have a mate or not, that’s all.”

Jongin gave a small nod and Sehun sighed a little. It broke his heart to see Jongin so down because of this matter, over some vision he had about a mate. It pained him because Jongin had gone through so many awful moments, experiencing such rough things and this was what ultimately put him down. He was a child of sorts in terms of asserting his feelings, much like Baekhyun and much like Chanyeol, which was something that the three of them had in common: they all needed guidance to understand and convey their feelings properly; they had an extreme difficulty into rationalizing what they felt into words and process it all, although there had been a very small improvement on that part: Chanyeol had fully accepted his feelings for Jongdae and made a conscious effort to mold himself to the other one, Baekhyun was slowly voicing his problems to people and Jongin was asking for someone else’s input on a sentimental matter. Progress, it was all progress.

“I am not going to say much more about this, okay? I think that it was a hard conversation in itself, and I think you have to let it soak for a little and tie everything together.” Stated Sehun suddenly, grabbing Jongin’s hand in his and giving it a firm squeeze much to the other’s befuddlement. “Also, I don’t want you to feel overwhelmed and feel that you need to tell me things, I am not trying to be pushy.”

“You are not.” Assured Jongin with a tired and timid smile. “But you are right I need to be with just myself for a while, just to sort my head. I feel like this is pressuring my head to much, I have too much inside my head and I just want to be with myself.”

“Then do that, take a moment for yourself and just… sleep on it.”

“I really should, I didn’t sleep much this evening. I kept dreaming of abstract things and I kept tossing and turning all over. I woke up tired.”

“Use Jongdae’s bed and rest.” Advised Sehun. “You’ll feel much better and, hopefully, lighter too.”

Jongin nodded and stood up, walking up to Jongdae and mumbling something to the surprised beta, who nodded nonetheless, only to crash on top of the other’s bed and pull the blankets all to himself, making a small little nest, to the point where you could only see his head, and closed his eyes.

Sehun observed everything with keen eyes and almost jumped out of his skin when a hand poised on top of his shoulder unexpectedly.

“Is everything alright? What was it all about?”

Hearing Baekhyun’s voice had a calming effect over him despite the scare that the man had given him.

“Everything is just fine. He just needed some advice.” Replied Sehun making a hand gesture to invite Baekhyun to sit next to him; Baekhyun didn’t sit but he leaned against the table right next to Sehun, arms crossed and looking over at the beta in search of a better answer.

Sehun looked over at the older male innocently, trying to stop the other from asking questions or, at the very best, dissuade him from questioning by acting cute, but he wasn’t good at cuteness nor was Baekhyun easily swayed by his attempts. He rolled his eyes at the older and sighed a little.

“He had a vision…”

“Something bad?” asked Baekhyun worried at the prospect of another tragic prophetic imagery.

“No, quite the contrary: Jongin might’ve caught a glimpse of his mate…”

“What?” asked the other male with an unamused voice.

“Don’t give me that crap.” Interjected Sehun with a raised eyebrow. “Are you really going to pull out a Chanyeol and play the overbearing brother over Jongin?”

“I’m sorry…I can’t help but to be concerned.”

“Being concerned is very different from being overbearing. I get your concern but, come on, let him live a little without trying to protect him from every little thing.”

“I…” Baekhyun was struggling to contradict Sehun’s words and the younger wolf was amused at the situation, fondness for the berserker blooming in his chest. “Does he know who it is, at least?”

“No.” said Sehun shaking his head. “He couldn’t recognize him.”

“Hmmm…” hummed Baekhyun skeptically while giving Sehun a displeased look.

“Quit it! He has a right to have a mate just wait until you find yours and then you’ll understand.”

“I already have a mate.” Replied Baekhyun simply, looking at the younger male with unreadable eyes.

“You do?” stuttered Sehun, surprised at the announcement; he hadn’t known, and he was frankly embarrassed to make such a joke in front of Baekhyun, more so if the other had found the joke to be inappropriate and get angry at him: Sehun didn’t want that.

Unfortunately, or fortunately enough, Sehun wasn’t in the right state of mind to decide, the door of the hut opened and everyone stared in horror as someone entered the place. They weren’t expecting anything, they were distracted and now someone had entered their little safe zone.

Sehun stared at the figure, feeling his blood drain itself from his face leaving only paleness in its awake.

“Luhan…” he called, lifting himself slowly from the chair he previously sat on, a look of guarded anticipation on his face.

Luhan stood in front of the open door, all wet due to the continued onslaught of rain that fustigated the lands still. He looked perplexed at the imagery in front of him, eyeing with distrust the three unknown males inside of the room.

“Who are they?” he asked Sehun slowly, a look on his face that was a clear indication that he was ready to bolt out of the room at any second.

“Just get inside Luhan so that we can talk.” Provided Jongdae from his place near Chanyeol, looking over at the taller male beside him worriedly.

“Why? They don’t belong to our pack.” Claimed the head healer of the pack eyeing, the three males with distrust.

“So that you can understand the situation and just understand why they are here.” Explained Sehun while biting his lip, looking at Luhan with enormous eyes, emoting honesty from every pore.

It would have worked if not for the fact that Jongin, who was nervous and still a little dazed from the reminiscent effects from his visions, unconsciously flashed his eyes at the male, pretty pale green eyes blinking up at the beta.

“An Oracle!” exclaimed Luhan horrified, backtracking slowly out of the house, leaving almost everyone in panic. “You are harboring the enemy inside your homes! The Council must be informed of this.”

“Luhan, wait!” begged Sehun standing up with no avail; Luhan had already bolted out of the house, slamming the door behind him and leaving them all rooted to their spots.

Sehun looked helplessly at the people inside the room, everyone was frazzled but what truly touched him was how desperate Jongdae was, tears dancing in his eyes as he looked over his taller mate with worry. If the Council was informed of this, Jongdae and Chanyeol would definitely be separated.

That was when Sehun knew he had to stop Luhan.

Without minding the fact that his body wasn’t one hundred percent recovered and that there was still a storm, although very mild, raging outside, Sehun made a move.

Sehun ran.

 

 

 

A/N: Hello!!!! How have you been doing? Well, first of all, I apologize for not updating last week but I was sick: tonsilitis (the amount of times that I have a disease that is voice or throat related... really, I should win a prize or something!) but, anyways, I am fully recovered and I am taking the last pill of my antibiotics as we speak (YAAAAAAAAY!).
First of all, as always, a enormous round of applause to -lubehan, for keeping my writing tidier and for spoting all my errors and fixing them! THANK YOU AND I LOVE YOU!
Well, what do we have on this chapter? A little bit of Sehun and Jongin interaction where Jongin DOES have a mate, although he isn't sure as to who it is, and he talks about it with Sehun, whose relationship with Baekhyun is growing and growing! Jongin is an interesting person because he is calm and collected but also has a very dark mindset. I like the contrast, how about you? Plus, now Luhan knows everything (sorta...) and his reaction was... not good!
Please, do tell me everything, every single thought you had or have, via comment or message me, I always reply back!! Also, subscribe the story if you like it and, if you REEEEEEALLY like it, please do upvote, it does makes me happy!
Lastly, I know that many of you finished your exams or are finishing them, so I will repeat myself and beg you to study hard BUT to take care of yourselves, assuring that you eat enough and sleep enough too. Studying is important but YOU are more because people are irreplaceable! I will be rooting for every single one of you and I am sure that you will all have good grades.
As always, be safe and healthy, love people around you, love yourself and allow people to love you, above all BE HAPPY!
Have a magnificent week and lots of love!
<3